EA Forums - Banner

All-Star sim-hybrid experience (sliders)

Prev134
I know @sega82mega has asked and I’ve had others off this site ask as well, so posting these for mega + others to easily reference. So here you go.

NHL sliders
Game Settings/Rules:
6 minutes
All-Star
Dynamic High
Injuries - 0
Penalties - 4
Penalty Time Scaling - 4/6

Gameplay Sliders:
General:
Tuner - latest
Attribute Effects: 10/10
Broken stick: 50/100
Game Speed: 3/6
Fatigue effect: CPU - 95, HUM - 100
Fatigue Recovery: 10/100

Skating:
Back Skating: 80
Hustle: authentic
Puck Carrier Agility: 75/100
Puck Carrier Skating: 75/100
Acceleration: 10/100
Speed: 40/100
Agility: 40/100

Shooting:
One-timer: 50/100
Shot accuracy: 52/100
Shot power: 60/100
Slap shot accuracy: 50/100
Slap shot power: 55/100

Passing:
Manual passing: on
Pass assist: 0/100
Min pass speed: 20
Max pass speed: 65/100
Sauce: 50/100
Interceptions: 75/100
Reception ease: 0/100
Reaction time: 45/100
Puck control rating effect: 85/100
Puck speed effect: 30/100
Pickup type effect: 60/100
Bouncing puck: 70/100

Puck Control:
Incidental loss: stick, legs, and body
Immunity: 0/100
Puck control: CPU - 10, HUM - 20
Deke impact: 20/100
Spin Deke impact: 50/100
Skating impact: 0/100

Goalies:
Goalie cover frequency: 60/100
Goalie passing: 60/100
Cross crease reaction: 55/100
Save reaction time: 50/100
Deflection reaction: 0/100
Screen effect: 100/100
Screen persistence: 85/100

Checking:
Board effect non-carrier: 40/100
Board effect carrier: 0/100
Hitting assistance: 17/100
Stumble threshold: 75/100
Stumble and fall ease: 75/100
Aggression: 100/100
Hitting power: 35/100
Size effect: 25/100
Speed effect: 33/100
Check/balance rating: 83/100
Preparedness effect: 51/100
Incident contact effect: 80/100
Poke check accuracy: 30/100
Poke check power: 50/100
Stick lift effectiveness: 50/100

Penalties:
CPU penalties: 100/100
Teammate penalties: 0/100
Tripping: CPU - 95, HUM - 50
Slashing: 50/100
Elbowing: 100/100
High sticking: 100/100
Cross checking: 100/100
Boarding: 50/100
Charging: 25/100
Delay of game: 50/100
Holding: 45/100
Hooking: 20/100
Interference: 100/100

AI:
AI learning: 6/6
Fight difficulty: 95/100
All strategy adjustments: 0/6

Team Strategies:
Forecheck: Weak Side Lock
NZ: 1-4
Trap/FC bias: 3/6
Off Pressure: CPU-normal, HUM-aggressive
Def Pressure: Normal
Defense strategy: Collapsing
PK: Diamond
PowerPlay: Umbrella
PowP Carry/Dump: 0/10
Control B-out: Blue to Blue
PowP B-out: Carry Option
Quick B-out: Close Support
Forward line strat: Behind the net
-everything else custom team default
Def pair strats: 5/10 for everything

How I play:
I use play now. I have two controllers, one on each team to set the pre-game strategy adjustments to ensure fairness when entering a game. Pause, slide a controller to the middle. Take the draw, then up on D-pad to switch my team to “aggressive”.

Time periods of when I play as who:
Home team:
20:00-10:00 1st
10:00-0:00 2nd
20:00-10:00 3rd
1:00-0:00 3rd (if losing or tied)

Away team:
10:00-0:00 1st
20:00-10:00 2nd
10:00-1:00 3rd
1:00-0:00 3rd (if losing)

**I always control the PowerPlay team as well

Custom Goalie Attributes/Details: (truly needed for the full experience, these sliders will not play nicely with normal NHL goalies. Look at the attributes and you’ll see why.)
Height: 6’4”
Glove Low: 90
Glove High: 36
Stick Low: 90
Stick High: 36
Five Hole: 36
Speed: 90
Agility: 99
Consistency: 0/2
Poke check: 66
Endurance: 90
Breakaway: 90
Rebound Control: 50
Recover: 90
Poise: 90
Passing: 66
Angles: 90
Play play Frq: 75
Aggressiveness: 80
Durability: 90
Vision: 90

Things to Note:
First, I use a fully custom 18-man roster too. Their team stats are:
OFF: 96 DEF: 94
So you can tell they’re better than NHL teams. It stems from the fact that they really have 1A and 1B for 1st/2nd lines and then basically two 3rd lines. I don’t have it in me to capture all 18 skaters’ attributes so I figured I’d give a team comp breakdown.

Second, I treat this like an esport league so there’s some plays that really throw the CPU for a loop. Instead of exploiting this, I treat the scenario as if a human was controlling the D meaning I either turn away despite not having too, or I shoot quicker than you would, or pass, etc.

Lastly, I believe the game play best if you play a game through, then modify some relatively useless slider (fight difficulty) by 1 either way and save the sliders as a new preset before playing your second game. For whatever reason, seems to mitigate the “floating” feeling of game 2 that happens if you do nothing. Just my experience and shoutout to TNK on OS for the idea.

Replies

• Game has been miserable tonight. Everything is fast, no mitigating it.

Manual passing:
    Pass it directly to your strong-side D’s forehand which is towards the inside, game thinks it should auto move the strong-side D to the boards and switch me to the Weakside D. That’s a 30+ foot difference. Probably the same horrid logic that goes into player switching. Just awful.

AI breaking physics:
    What year is this going to be fixed? NHL 99 had this, next decade or two will we get AI that respect the physics engine? The wiggle-shuffle + 100% speed changes to the 180 (or any direction) are miserable to watch.

Boards:
    Why do the boards have no give? Why are we pretending we have physics-based gameplay, or the tools ready for physics-based gameplay, when the boards are stiff as concrete and result in players bouncing out of hits like it’s a WWE right?

CPU PK clears:
    One-touch full power spinning 180 flip dumps. Do I really need to say more? Are we really pretending the human can do this? Also, why do my D move AWAY FROM THE BOARDS that the puck is being cleared too?

Faceoffs:
    CPU tieup, my inside wing sprints away, outside wing stands still, CPU wings always have a step, my D back out of the zone as fast as possible. 10+ straight years of this exact outcome. Going to change it anytime soon?

Rebounds:
    What year can I expect my AI to sprint towards lose pucks like the CPU AI? Why do they standstill and need to be babysat? Can we stop ruining offline play for online-focused “skill gap” solutions?

Goalies:
    Idk what goalie(s) you’ve consulted with, nor do I know what skill level of gamers you’ve actually received feedback from on this, but a goalies job when someone is coming in wide is to protect the strong side. Being able to score the same exact goal by holding backhand, going forehand, and shooting short side is absolutely ridiculous. 2k8-10 had goalies that could learn, but we need 100% sure goals in this game for “skill gap” or what? Who enjoys this? Who thought “yep, that’s hockey” when implementing this? Who thought “we should punish defenders for actually playing the inside hip and the situation correctly in these scenarios” here?

Trapping:
    You do NOT stand still until the carrier is 10 feet behind you when trapping. A good rule of thumb when playing hockey is not stand still. Why do the AI on both sides literally stand still while staring at a puck carrier barreling in full speed at them?

PowerPlay:
    Why does the top guy on the umbrella do everything but simply stay at the top point in the umbrella? Shuffles left, covers right, dives in straight which makes my passing lane shallower and brings him CLOSER to defenders? What in the world is that?

STOP CYCLING ON THE UMBRELLA

1-3-1 anyone?
    What is “shooting” lol?
    Overload isn’t even properly executed.

Sliders:
    Again, never experienced this phenomenon in NHL 08-15 on old-gen but it’s just placebo in new gen huh? Game is totally playing the same every time, I should just ignore my eyes and intuition huh?

Shooting:
    I literally watched a backhanded, toe-down one-timer get shot (and scored) today lol.

Player switching:
    When I have three guys on the left side of the ice forechecking, I don’t want to my right D. Please pass the feedback along to this year’s intern who will have another go at it.

Puck physics:
    I watch and play a lot of hockey. I’ve never seen so many pucks hit sticks while attempting to deflect that just die on the stick. Nor have I seen so many shin pads just kill all puck momentum. This is not “physics” I don’t know what league of hockey these physics are based on (U6’s where they can’t shoot hard enough?) but it certainly is not anything I’ve ever seen at a level past 5th grade.

Summary:
    This game is inconsistent and struggles to be fun. There’s zero hockey knowledge going into this game whatsoever. Please start consulting NHL’ers or coaches or even Leafs fans. I’m that desperate.
  • Sega82mega
    3765 posts Member
    This was very good news to wake up to!

Thank you Bf1, for taking your time.

I will tie my skates with this settings tomarow!

👍👍
  • nyi95
    174 posts Member
    First off, thx BF1 for taking the time to post these and explain them. Seems like you put more effort into this game than the people who actually made it,lol.

Going to re- install tonight to give these a try. Haven't played it in over a month. Sad that I have to go back to a 7 year old version to get my hockey fix.

One question about the goalie attributes. Do you have to customize every one of them on the rosters?

Thx again for your time and insight 👍
  • nyi95 wrote: »
    First off, thx BF1 for taking the time to post these and explain them. Seems like you put more effort into this game than the people who actually made it,lol.

Going to re- install tonight to give these a try. Haven't played it in over a month. Sad that I have to go back to a 7 year old version to get my hockey fix.

One question about the goalie attributes. Do you have to customize every one of them on the rosters?

Thx again for your time and insight 👍

No problem guys. I try and try to get this game to a stable spot where I can semi-enjoy it but some nights are just brutal where others are great. Shot accuracy I’ve been bouncing between 52-53 mainly because this game is inconsistent, as some games everything is just “perfect” and I really don’t think it’s because of a one point change in this attribute, but just trying to find consistency. I think 53 might be the way to go for variety of scores but know that you won’t have many low scoring games from what I can tell.

Goalies: Yes so all of my teams rock these goalie attributes. They don’t take too long to edit once you do a few, you’ll start memorizing the levels. You could start messing with the “goalie reaction slider” too but know that it’s a very powerful slider that is near impossible to balance in my experience. There’s just either not enough good/dynamic first shot goals or you’ll start scoring from the blueline if that slider goes too low. Goalie reactions in general just aren’t realistic. Way too many 100% clean saves, not enough scrambles, or like I said way too many first shot goals if that slider gets too low. This is why I’d never touch Franchise mode even with 32 team control. The goalies need lots of TLC to start seeing dynamic gameplay.
  • Sega82mega
    3765 posts Member
    edited May 6
    Hey Bf1, I can understand you had alot of fun with this game when it plays out this way.

As I see it, but this is just after one game, and I can be abit damaged by the 'online section'.

I think when your sliders settle in abit, it becomes even better.

But my biggest grip is passes that just sometimes 'slips through' the blade, they handle the puck like a soap, if you know what I mean. Feels like you 'pressure' the game-mechanics too hard, it gets to hot to handle.

And of course you struggle sometimes with getting the opposite AI to play 'like hockey'.

But the times when everything add up, it's like a dream come true, everything move in 'slow motion', you almost feel 'high on hockey'.

Shots, hits, the pace of both speed and passes is great, you often don't need/have the time to hustle too much, it's good.

You really succeeded with the goalies, they play very true to the puck.

Some stupid offsides now and then..

You get some sections under a game were it's pure happiness to play and some parts were things can get pretty awkward. But it's definitely the most hockey you probebly can get.

The way I see it.
  • Yeah the puck can be a little loose at times, especially if you have tired guys out there. I designed it that way on purpose to force myself into using the glass to chip clear or even just using saucer pass to push the puck into an area safe enough to get a line change. It also is to prevent me from making tic-tac-toe plays every time the CPU turns the puck over which is an insane amount because they don’t make simple passes or ring the puck. So, it’s just some added difficulty to make sure I’m using the correct amount of power on passes and also making it harder to make “cute” plays with my 3rd and 4th lines. In general, in forces me to shoot more from not great angles if I have an opening because shots can beat goalies with these sliders and good rebounds are also common so I think it a a more realistic mindset. What bothers me is, sometimes I’ll make a sauce pass purposefully meant to lead someone, but they’ll smack their stick at the puck as early as possible when the puck is harder to handle and it will wind up not being received when I really wanted to push the puck to an area across their body to skate into.

Also, I turned game speed down to 2 last night cause I just haven’t felt like these sliders were playing how they used to prior to making a shot accuracy change, and game speed 2 actually produced the gameplay I was really liking about a week ago now. Played two 3-1 games that had a lot of cycling, a tip goal from the mid slot, another scramble goal, a nice snipe on the PowerPlay after some good puck movement. I’d suggest trying game speed 2 out as well.

Glad you liked them though! I can’t stand online compared to these even if the AI is predictable and boring haha.
  • Sega82mega
    3765 posts Member
    I guess you got your own sliders in your back pocket.. No one knows them better then you.

I have years of online playstyle in my 'memory bank' even though I bealive I try to play a hockey very much similar to your sliders but online and against a much more aggressive opponent - which is really difficult.

I will keep playing with your sliders and most definitely find the best way to optimize them.

I even manage to do a cool dump in.. When I reach the goalies blocker side with a hard wrist-shot from the NZ and could put pressure on the opponent after the goalies deflection into the corner.

I also like the much more distinct difference in the star players, well not just them - big guys play their type of hockey and the quick once play their type of hockey.

Dosent seem to be as 'flat' gameplay like online, were the biggest key is in how fast you can travel and 3 to 4 dekes you use to every situation.

Do you have a whole game I can see when you play?

Now im going to celebrate my first needle of covid with a little bit of pancake!

🤤

(life is slowly getting back to some what 'normal')
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    I guess you got your own sliders in your back pocket.. No one knows them better then you.

I have years of online playstyle in my 'memory bank' even though I bealive I try to play a hockey very much similar to your sliders but online and against a much more aggressive opponent - which is really difficult.

I will keep playing with your sliders and most definitely find the best way to optimize them.

I even manage to do a cool dump in.. When I reach the goalies blocker side with a hard wrist-shot from the NZ and could put pressure on the opponent after the goalies deflection into the corner.

I also like the much more distinct difference in the star players, well not just them - big guys play their type of hockey and the quick once play their type of hockey.

Dosent seem to be as 'flat' gameplay like online, were the biggest key is in how fast you can travel and 3 to 4 dekes you use to every situation.

Do you have a whole game I can see when you play?

Now im going to celebrate my first needle of covid with a little bit of pancake!

🤤

(life is slowly getting back to some what 'normal')

Passing will just take a little to get used to more than likely. There’s times where I find bobbled passes to be annoying too, don’t worry. I like the added challenge though cause the game is very vanilla without it haha. Don’t be afraid to make those really light passes, and also don’t be afraid to flip dump while almost touching the boards to get those clears when the AI is pressuring. I’ve found if you do a lot of D-to-D passes the CPU will eventually let you skate the puck out but it does take some practice with the manual passing.

I don’t have a full game but maybe I can try to broadcast on twitch or something where it will archive the stream. Last night, on game speed 2 (again, I think 2 > 3 so switch that if you haven’t) both teams had like 6+ minutes of ToA. Lots of cycling and patient zone play really wears the CPU down and will open some lanes up.
  • nyi95
    174 posts Member
    Hey BF, quick insight after playing about 5 games so far.

At first I was like, man these are really slow and what's with the passing?

After 5 games though, I know where you were going with these. First off, they're great. Makes you really think about your next move( cause you actually have time to think). Every games been different, sure low scores but a good battle none the less. The fatigue factor plays out really well as does the attributes of better and not so better players. I've seen animations i never noticed before( due probably to the fact that the game isn't moving at 500 mph). I'll be playing and boom, all of a sudden opportunities open up for a good scoring chance or turnover.

Now, I'll admit i haven't changed the goalie attributes nor do i adjust strats. I also play as just the one team. I'm old school, just plugged them in and played. Got to tell you, i still find it plays good .

Thx for giving me something to play without plugging in the ps3. You may just have saved the year for me,lol.

I know it took a lot of time to work on these so once again, cudos to ya for sharing them.
  • Sega82mega
    3765 posts Member
    Great to hear nyi95.

And as you mention. To get this sliders to 'work' it's importen to first of understand them and second of all - work for the experience of hockey.

Thats also why I think it would be good to see a video of example - how it can look when Bf1 play a game. Dosent got to be a 'perfect game' were everything 'click' - just something so you can get a taste of it.

Anyway - great to hear nyi95, im also like you, just plugged them in and played.
  • nyi95 wrote: »
    Hey BF, quick insight after playing about 5 games so far.

At first I was like, man these are really slow and what's with the passing?

After 5 games though, I know where you were going with these. First off, they're great. Makes you really think about your next move( cause you actually have time to think). Every games been different, sure low scores but a good battle none the less. The fatigue factor plays out really well as does the attributes of better and not so better players. I've seen animations i never noticed before( due probably to the fact that the game isn't moving at 500 mph). I'll be playing and boom, all of a sudden opportunities open up for a good scoring chance or turnover.

Now, I'll admit i haven't changed the goalie attributes nor do i adjust strats. I also play as just the one team. I'm old school, just plugged them in and played. Got to tell you, i still find it plays good .

Thx for giving me something to play without plugging in the ps3. You may just have saved the year for me,lol.

I know it took a lot of time to work on these so once again, cudos to ya for sharing them.

Good to hear, man! You rocking game speed 2 or 3? I’ve went back to 3, but I make sure to exit the NHL app and do the save slider technique after every game. The game just plays slower (and better) the first game after boot imo.
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Great to hear nyi95.

And as you mention. To get this sliders to 'work' it's importen to first of understand them and second of all - work for the experience of hockey.

Thats also why I think it would be good to see a video of example - how it can look when Bf1 play a game. Dosent got to be a 'perfect game' were everything 'click' - just something so you can get a taste of it.

Anyway - great to hear nyi95, im also like you, just plugged them in and played.

Still trying to find a way to record an entire game session so I can show you how I play. Maybe I’ll invest in a capture card, or I have to figure out twitch or something? Idk.
  • Sega82mega
    3765 posts Member
    Would be really cool to see. I think I both will enjoy and probebly relate to alot of your plays.

I hope some day in the future to both share ice with you and kid.

I think you and me should form a deadly pair of D's.

EA just need to get their s*** together... 😏😉
    Would be really cool to see. I think I both will enjoy and probebly relate to alot of your plays.

I’ve played a few online games with Ice recently, and it was fun to have a human element to the game again, but I just can’t find much enjoyment out of the way you’re forced to play online. Terribly shallow meta/experience.

I think I just need to invest in an elgato or something so I can start posting full games to YouTube.
  • Sega82mega
    3765 posts Member

I’ve played a few online games with Ice recently, and it was fun to have a human element to the game again, but I just can’t find much enjoyment out of the way you’re forced to play online. Terribly shallow meta/experience.

I think I just need to invest in an elgato or something so I can start posting full games to YouTube.

No I agree. I wont even suggest for us to go online yet.. If it's going to happen I want to have a game were hockey brain goes before 'fast teenage-fingers'.

A more patience gameplay, were every pass mather.

I do enjoy playing on a low level so I get the chance to play hockey.

But occasionally I match up against a 'superstar' and this times it gets pretty clear to me that there's more work to do with this game.

I wouldn’t stand one second of this game in division 1.

NHL 21 is a bittersweet story, best hockey game I played but at some times the worst - especially when I get up against high rank.. They have really figured out how to make a mess of the game but still win...
  • nyi95
    174 posts Member
    You guys on ps4? If so, we should all hook up,lol.
    BF, i kept the speed at 3. Haven't encountered the speed glitch yet. Fingers crossed. I haven't won much, but, it's still fun trying to beat it. Every game i feel like i have a chance.

If its ps boys, don't be shy to send a friend request, nyi95.
  • Sega82mega
    3765 posts Member
    edited May 11
    nyi95 wrote: »
    BF, i kept the speed at 3. Haven't encountered the speed glitch yet. Fingers crossed. I haven't won much, but, it's still fun trying to beat it. Every game i feel like i have a chance.

I dont even try to win or how I should say... Of course I shot to score but my prime mission is to get everything on the ice to look and feel like hockey. Winning is a bonus.

I would like to feel the same thing online. But I found myself having a bigger chance to get my opponent's to play hockey if it's against the CPU then if it's another human.

Nice to hear you found pleasure, thats whats it all about.

*I think Bf1 is even more hardcore hockey sucker - he seem to control both team at the same time.. Would be fun to see the action that takes place at his home.. 😄

I dont even try to win or how I should say... Of course I shot to score but my prime mission is to get everything on the ice to look and feel like hockey. Winning is a bonus.

I would like to feel the same thing online. But I found myself having a bigger chance to get my opponent's to play hockey if it's against the CPU then if it's another human.

*I think Bf1 is even more hardcore hockey sucker - he seem to control both team at the same time.. Would be fun to see the action that takes place at his home.. 😄

I control one team for half of each period, but I’ve had some great battles with myself lol! I’ve actually played sports games like this since I was a kid. Whether it’s football, hockey, soccer, baseball, basketball, you name it, I tried to play the game realistically and I’d always play myself haha. Until the CPU can play like a human, I find no enjoyment out of single team experiences as I’d either win more than I lose, or give the CPU enough of an advantage where I’d have cheese to win. Neither is a better option than the way I play imo.

Also, I’m an Xbox guy unfortunately. Glad I could give you some good games though guys. Thanks for checking them out and just being good dudes.
  • Sega82mega
    3765 posts Member

I control one team for half of each period, but I’ve had some great battles with myself lol! I’ve actually played sports games like this since I was a kid. Whether it’s football, hockey, soccer, baseball, basketball, you name it, I tried to play the game realistically and I’d always play myself haha. Until the CPU can play like a human, I find no enjoyment out of single team experiences as I’d either win more than I lose, or give the CPU enough of an advantage where I’d have cheese to win. Neither is a better option than the way I play imo.

Also, I’m an Xbox guy unfortunately. Glad I could give you some good games though guys. Thanks for checking them out and just being good dudes.

Hehe you are unique, never heard of this behavior before... I hope you’re alright!.😉

And if im right you play a whole season this way too... Don't you get any special feelings for one team?

But I like everything thats diffrent - kudos to you! 😊👍

Hehe you are unique, never heard of this behavior before... I hope you’re alright!.😉

And if im right you play a whole season this way too... Don't you get any special feelings for one team?

But I like everything thats diffrent - kudos to you! 😊👍

So for my league that I keep track of via an excel sheet, I have 24 custom teams that all use the same roster so I don’t have any special feelings towards or against players as they’re all the same. All of my teams being custom created, I genuinely enjoy/like all of them so I really don’t care who wins the game. I like being the “sandbox” guy and my league is anything I want it to be.

I just focus on playing good, fun hockey and try to score as many nice goals as possible. That’s why you see on my Instagram page so many tips, screens, and first shot goals in contexts outside of the “diagonal glide, far side shot” thing that goes in online all of the time. What’s cool is, I don’t cherry-pick videos either, I just don’t play that much. I get 3-5 nice, realistic-looking goals a game that you’d never see online but you’d see in real hockey all of the time. This game can do some cool stuff, the online turners just don’t allow it too.
  • @Sega82mega i don’t have full videos yet, but I have been trying to take some 30 seconds clips of some more routine plays I make just to get a feel for what I do and how I play. He’s a link to my newly create YT channel where I’ll try to post stuff this like more often.