EA Forums - Banner

"File Dispute of Outcome"

We desperately need this as an option. With crossplay coming down the pipe likely for 22, this is something that needs to be added. We got glitched last night...basically we were pressing this team the whole third period, which is when the tomfoolery started. We scored to make it 5-4, with 2:47 left in the third. They immediately paused the game, the timer ran down, and when it came back they had the puck(no faceoff having taken place), and 2 minutes and 7 seconds just disappeared, leaving only 40 seconds left on the clock. We were pressing this team, and I mean pressing...

Replies

• Yes it’s happened to us several times exactly how you just described.
  • EA_Aljo
    3011 posts EA Community Manager
    twhite1387 wrote: »
    We desperately need this as an option. With crossplay coming down the pipe likely for 22, this is something that needs to be added. We got glitched last night...basically we were pressing this team the whole third period, which is when the tomfoolery started. We scored to make it 5-4, with 2:47 left in the third. They immediately paused the game, the timer ran down, and when it came back they had the puck(no faceoff having taken place), and 2 minutes and 7 seconds just disappeared, leaving only 40 seconds left on the clock. We were pressing this team, and I mean pressing...

Hi there. This is an issue we're aware of. It's been reported to the dev team. At this time, I don't have any other details though. Hopefully, we'll see it resolved in the future.
  • Canucklehead21
    33 posts Member
    edited June 20
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

Hi there. This is an issue we're aware of. It's been reported to the dev team. At this time, I don't have any other details though. Hopefully, we'll see it resolved in the future.

Highly unlikely we will see anything resolved to fix this game! What a waste of my hard earned money to be given a product that is barely tolerable. We mentioned these issues since day 1 of release, and no updates were done to fix any of them. League is the only backbone right now to why this game has a population. Drop-ins are dead and HUT is dropping drastically! Maybe stop ignoring us and get on with fixing NHL 21. Nobody is going to want to buy NHL 22 if this game doesn't show some work ethic to prove EA actually gives a crap in making an enjoyable game. I for one will not be pre-ordering and this is a first for me. Rather not waste my money on a product that is going to be trash! Bugs have been around for awhile, why can't they get fixed? Makes absolutely no sense! Fix the game or you won't have a high population of customers for the next game.... The leadership of this game needs to do something!
  • IceLion68
    1549 posts Member

I have not personally experienced this but it sounds horrible. Good to hear it's on the radar though. Kudos.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68
    1549 posts Member
    edited June 21

Highly unlikely we will see anything resolved to fix this game! What a waste of my hard earned money to be given a product that is barely tolerable. We mentioned these issues since day 1 of release, and no updates were done to fix any of them. League is the only backbone right now to why this game has a population. Drop-ins are dead and HUT is dropping drastically! Maybe stop ignoring us and get on with fixing NHL 21. Nobody is going to want to buy NHL 22 if this game doesn't show some work ethic to prove EA actually gives a crap in making an enjoyable game. I for one will not be pre-ordering and this is a first for me. Rather not waste my money on a product that is going to be trash! Bugs have been around for awhile, why can't they get fixed? Makes absolutely no sense! Fix the game or you won't have a high population of customers for the next game.... The leadership of this game needs to do something!

It would be easy to dismiss this post and just say "well, the team is probably deep in NHL 22 mode right now and that changes for 21 are probably off the table" and there would be some logic to this position... but the more I think about this the more I wonder "is that OK though?"

I am not going to rant about the state of the game or longstanding bugs in the game (real or perceived) but I am starting to think that we as customers have simply become too complacent and have bought into this EA mindset that basically once we get past April of any given year (the latest month a patch typically appears for the current product) , that the only other "patch" we get is a full price "upgrade" in September/October - i.e. the next version.

I am sure lots of people are still playing NHL 20, NHL 19... if a serious issue is found in those products... would it ever get fixed? If a serious issue is found in 21, is it really OK if the "fix" is "it's fixed in 22?"

Notwithstanding platform/engine changes, I have to imagine the code base doesn't change significantly from year to year. So, if the above issue (or any other) is actually fixed in 22... could the team not make the same fix for 21?

In summary I guess what I would like to know is :
    - When does an NHL iteration become "end of life" and is no longer supported?
    - Given that it NHL historically no longer receives updates past April, what does it even mean for it to be in or out of support? Just whether the servers are still up?
  • EA_Aljo
    @IceLion68

Unfortunately, at some point focus needs to shift to the next game. That's where the majority of players are going to be. There's a much higher population for the current version of the game than previous ones. If we spend a lot of time fixing issues for previous games with a much lower population, it hurts the higher population playing the current game as those issues may not get the attention they need. As far as when the end of life is, there isn't really a cut-off date. There are a lot of other factors that dictate when we're done updating a game. As you've noticed, that typically happens in the spring with NHL so the dev team can focus on the next game.
  • IceLion68
    1549 posts Member
    @IceLion68
    Unfortunately, at some point focus needs to shift to the next game. That's where the majority of players are going to be. There's a much higher population for the current version of the game than previous ones. If we spend a lot of time fixing issues for previous games with a much lower population, it hurts the higher population playing the current game as those issues may not get the attention they need. As far as when the end of life is, there isn't really a cut-off date.

I get this but I don't think that means that all previous versions (and even the current version from April through September) should be left for dead forevermore. Surely some of the most egregious bugs that get fixed could be rolled into at least the next most recent version without too much effort?
    There are a lot of other factors that dictate when we're done updating a game. As you've noticed, that typically happens in the spring with NHL so the dev team can focus on the next game.
    Other than working on the next one, what are they? I would argue this simply highlights the need for staffing and process changes around annualized releases... or a pricing change. I think we have all (EA and customers) gotten a little too used to this mindset nothing gets a fix after it's been out for like 6-7 months and paying AAA pricing for an only marginally updated experience.

Anyhow this is slightly OT so I am dropping it... it's just something I think we are all becoming too accustomed to.
  • twhite1387
    205 posts Member
    edited June 21
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    or a pricing change

This is overdue. In canada we pay way over MSRP, at what is 89.99, while our neighbours to the south pay almost 30$(even with the converted exchange rate and tax factored in) less. NHL is no longer a AAA title, and hasn't been for a few years unfortunately. As much as I want it to be.
    The leap from PS3 XB360 to PS4/XB1 was a complete bungle job and set the tone for the entire generation. I would love to see EA take the torch here and run with it...and I can't lie their work on BF2042 looks outstanding, so they have the ability. But I think NHL needs new pricing, the quality just doesn't quantify AAA pricing any more. I hope that gets turned around this gen because I love this game...

• EA_Aljo
    @IceLion68

It doesn't make a lot of sense to devote a high amount of resources to updating a game that so few are going to be playing in the near future since most everyone moves on to the latest game. It's also possible that due to the changes coming in a future game, the fix applied in the current one won't work and will need to be done again. So, it's better to wait for the next game so the updates can get more attention. There's a lot of work that goes into supporting a game. It's not just one person performing a quick fix. We have to reproduce the problem, come up with a fix, test the fix, balance it in some cases, then repeat that process many times to finally have a proper resolution. This can take a very large amount of time. Rather than spending all that time updating a game a small number of people are playing, it's better to put all that work into the game most everyone is playing.
  • IceLion68
    1549 posts Member
    edited June 21
    @IceLion68
    It doesn't make a lot of sense to devote a high amount of resources to updating a game that so few are going to be playing in the near future since most everyone moves on to the latest game. It's also possible that due to the changes coming in a future game, the fix applied in the current one won't work and will need to be done again. So, it's better to wait for the next game so the updates can get more attention. There's a lot of work that goes into supporting a game. It's not just one person performing a quick fix. We have to reproduce the problem, come up with a fix, test the fix, balance it in some cases, then repeat that process many times to finally have a proper resolution. This can take a very large amount of time. Rather than spending all that time updating a game a small number of people are playing, it's better to put all that work into the game most everyone is playing.

I had a different response composed here but I have decided to take a different tack:

I totally get what you are saying and in and of itself, it makes logical sense.

The underlying assumption in this mode of thinking is that it is an indefinite inevitability that the game that gets released in October, then essentially abandoned in April will, in 5 more months, no longer be the game everyone is playing. And maybe that will continue to be true. I mean, it's been working so far I guess (I am not privy to unit sales numbers obviously). At some point the proverbial rubber MAY meet the road though if the buying public shelling out full premium price for basically upgrades and bug fixes to the same core experience year on year, no longer feels that enough is getting changed/fixed to warrant the annual price tag.

Perhaps this is another example of "optics" where if indeed things are getting fixed behind the scenes, the team simply needs to do a better job of tracking and communicating issues and their fixes to the community. So that the perception of progress lines up with reality. I also wouldn't complain if the development team got ramped up so that more could be accomplished in a given year :-) .

Make no mistake - IMO the game is worth full price to new customers and the team should be proud of what it is able to accomplish within the constraints imposed upon each year. But I think there is the looming question of how long it is sustainable to charge full price every year for something that is largely the same as the last.

PS: Lest you think I am just some random ignoramus, I understand the development process very well - I am old **** and have been in IT longer than some people here have been alive. I have worked for development shops (Including Quest software) and also manage my organization's Team Foundation Server implementation.
  • EA_Aljo
    @IceLion68

Yes, the foundation of the game is basically the same. It most likely always will be. Each year though, there are many changes and as you are aware, the development process is incredibly complicated. Especially when there's only a year between games. We have to update several different modes and try to make those updates as substantial as possible. All of our sports games have basically the same development cycle and updates for them typically months before the next game is released. It would be great if all our games could dedicate a team to updating the older titles, but it's not normally the best use of our development teams as, again, the vast majority of the population moves on to the new game.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    @IceLion68

I had a different response composed here but I have decided to take a different tack:

The underlying assumption in this mode of thinking is that it is an indefinite inevitability that the game that gets released in October, then essentially abandoned in April will, in 5 more months, no longer be the game everyone is playing. And maybe that will continue to be true. I mean, it's been working so far I guess (I am not privy to unit sales numbers obviously). At some point the proverbial rubber MAY meet the road though if the buying public shelling out full premium price for basically upgrades and bug fixes to the same core experience year on year, no longer feels that enough is getting changed/fixed to warrant the annual price tag.

Perhaps this is another example of "optics" where if indeed things are getting fixed behind the scenes, the team simply needs to do a better job of tracking and communicating issues and their fixes to the community. So that the perception of progress lines up with reality. I also wouldn't complain if the development team got ramped up so that more could be accomplished in a given year :-) .

Make no mistake - IMO the game is worth full price to new customers and the team should be proud of what it is able to accomplish within the constraints imposed upon each year. But I think there is the looming question of how long it is sustainable to charge full price every year for something that is largely the same as the last.

PS: Lest you think I am just some random ignoramus, I understand the development process very well - I am old **** and have been in IT longer than some people here have been alive. I have worked for development shops (Including Quest software) and also manage my organization's Team Foundation Server implementation.

Same...our generation of gamers has given way to the more prominent "casual" of today's ADHD Gen Z who apparently can't keep their attention trained on any one thing too long. These games are massive undertakings, and visually they are stunning, but as Lion(or possibly someone else above) stated, it's remained largely unchanged for the better part of this console generation.
    I just hope to see some actual fixes for bugs and glitches that have been around for a few years. I mean, some new leadership up top probably wouldn't hurt
  • Follisimo
    1169 posts Member
    @IceLion68
    Unfortunately, at some point focus needs to shift to the next game. That's where the majority of players are going to be. There's a much higher population for the current version of the game than previous ones. If we spend a lot of time fixing issues for previous games with a much lower population, it hurts the higher population playing the current game as those issues may not get the attention they need. As far as when the end of life is, there isn't really a cut-off date.

I get this but I don't think that means that all previous versions (and even the current version from April through September) should be left for dead forevermore. Surely some of the most egregious bugs that get fixed could be rolled into at least the next most recent version without too much effort?
    There are a lot of other factors that dictate when we're done updating a game. As you've noticed, that typically happens in the spring with NHL so the dev team can focus on the next game.
    Other than working on the next one, what are they? I would argue this simply highlights the need for staffing and process changes around annualized releases... or a pricing change. I think we have all (EA and customers) gotten a little too used to this mindset nothing gets a fix after it's been out for like 6-7 months and paying AAA pricing for an only marginally updated experience.

Anyhow this is slightly OT so I am dropping it... it's just something I think we are all becoming too accustomed to.

They aren't going to add more staff for a version they would consider to be obsolete and the focus being on the next version. They want people to migrate over to the newer ones so even more reason to not support an older one. As for the annual release stuff that is most likely due to investors wanting that income each year. And as for pricing is going.... well I'll tag @twhite1387 and say that prices are going up for the next-gen versions more than likely. Fifa 21 next-gen was higher. Madden 22 next-gen is higher..... so fully expect NHL 22 next-gen to carry a $70 usd price tag.

• EA_Aljo
    @IceLion68

Same...our generation of gamers has given way to the more prominent "casual" of today's ADHD Gen Z who apparently can't keep their attention trained on any one thing too long. These games are massive undertakings, and visually they are stunning, but as Lion(or possibly someone else above) stated, it's remained largely unchanged for the better part of this console generation.
    I just hope to see some actual fixes for bugs and glitches that have been around for a few years. I mean, some new leadership up top probably wouldn't hurt

I can't agree the game is largely unchanged for the Xbox One/PS4 generation. The new skating alone brought some very big changes. Then, you have new modes, new dekes, the updated DSS, and various updates to existing modes as well as bug fixes and balancing to name some of the changes there have been over the last several years.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    @IceLion68

I can't agree the game is largely unchanged for the Xbox One/PS4 generation. The new skating alone brought some very big changes. Then, you have new modes, new dekes, the updated DSS, and various updates to existing modes as well as bug fixes and balancing to name some of the changes there have been over the last several years.

There have been some bugs since release of this game. Like the black screen in 3's when on a penalty shot. When I play goalie I can't see and get scored on, which sometimes can be a main reason why my club loses. Then there is the fighting bug where the players won't be face to face, having their backs turned and you can't drop the gloves. Also another issue where sometimes the game will loop after a fight. Another is in 3's the goalie will glitch onto the opposing side and block the other teams goalie from making a save, so his team can score. We complained about that, got video of it and nothing was done. Vast majority of your customers come from league, HUT and Twitch. I know many who said they will not be pre-ordering unless the game really shows some passion. I for one will not be purchasing the game unless it is worth the money I pay for. This current game is a headache and even top players are feeling the frustration. A lot of this stuff could have been fixed in November as it was in existence then.
  • IceLion68
    1549 posts Member
    Also another issue where sometimes the game will loop after a fight.

This issue has been around in some form for several years now.
  • Socair
    2760 posts Game Changer
    edited June 22
    Gone off topic here…just because a CM acknowledges and discusses a specific (topic) issue doesn’t mean the thread needs to become a “why hasn’t ___ been fixed” rant thread.

Let’s stay on topic please. Further derailing posts will be removed or thread will have to be closed. Thanks.
    Post edited by Socair on