EA Forums - Banner

Failed to find opponent...

For like 20 minutes straight. Are we like... 13 people playing this game world wide?

Replies

• EA_Aljo
    3193 posts EA Community Manager
    For like 20 minutes straight. Are we like... 13 people playing this game world wide?

Hi there. The pool of available players is going to be smaller under different circumstances. Time of day/night, your region and the matchmaking filters selected. For example, a west coast, full 6s team matching goalies at 3 in the morning will probably have a smaller pool of teams to match with than if you had 2 or without human goalies. Normally, my east coast based club has no problem finding teams to match up with, but we also are normally playing during prime time hours.

That said, I'd love to see a bigger population where time and region weren't so much an issue.
  • > @EA_Aljo said:
    > Hi there. The pool of available players is going to be smaller under different circumstances. Time of day/night, your region and the matchmaking filters selected. For example, a west coast, full 6s team matching goalies at 3 in the morning will probably have a smaller pool of teams to match with than if you had 2 or without human goalies. Normally, my east coast based club has no problem finding teams to match up with, but we also are normally playing during prime time hours.
    >
    > That said, I'd love to see a bigger population where time and region weren't so much an issue.

Took me 6 hours the other night and I got 2 games. I don't have a club though so go to drop-in but nobody wants to play given it's casual outdoor pond hockey... community lobbies and indoor drop-in made it so much easier to find games.
  • With crossplay hopefully coming for 22(rumour only), that'll help a ton
  • EA_Aljo
    > @EA_Aljo said:
    > Hi there. The pool of available players is going to be smaller under different circumstances. Time of day/night, your region and the matchmaking filters selected. For example, a west coast, full 6s team matching goalies at 3 in the morning will probably have a smaller pool of teams to match with than if you had 2 or without human goalies. Normally, my east coast based club has no problem finding teams to match up with, but we also are normally playing during prime time hours.
    >
    > That said, I'd love to see a bigger population where time and region weren't so much an issue.

Took me 6 hours the other night and I got 2 games. I don't have a club though so go to drop-in but nobody wants to play given it's casual outdoor pond hockey... community lobbies and indoor drop-in made it so much easier to find games.

Thanks for the update. 2 games in 6 hours would most definitely be frustrating. Are you spending all of the remaining time, outside of those 2 games, just searching? I don't play a lot of drop-ins, but they've always been easy to get into. I wasn't having any trouble last night. Where are you located?
  • IceLion68
    1610 posts Member
    twhite1387 wrote: »
    With crossplay hopefully coming for 22(rumour only), that'll help a ton
    Source?

Much as I wish it to be true, I'd be highly shocked if this "rumour" had any credence.

Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • > @EA_Aljo said:
    > Thanks for the update. 2 games in 6 hours would most definitely be frustrating. Are you spending all of the remaining time, outside of those 2 games, just searching? I don't play a lot of drop-ins, but they've always been easy to get into. I wasn't having any trouble last night. Where are you located?

I'm West. Majority of us have stopped playing this game. A lot of lobbies I get into are Eastern on 100 ping. Mostly with QC's. It is never a full lobby for the most part, and quite a few just quit out midway through. I play during 9pm-1am, as I work during the day. Was much easier for us night time gamers to find games when community lobbies were a thing. I understand there are trolls, but there are ways to prevent them from joining lobbies. In 3's I can find games every once in awhile that are full, but many goalies have found ways to glitch to my crease, and ruin the game. So I basically just gave up!
  • The fact some Einstein thought it would be a good idea to lock us into this stupid play tournament format for WEEKS is also part of the problem.

They form 5 divisions from the 10 traditional divisions and then slot you into one of the 5 for the entire playoff season garbage. You only play teams within your own division, this meaning you only have access to 20% of the population and it’s a shrinking population as is because people are sick of the ridiculous magical momentum swings and general inconsistencies in the algorithm.

Someone needs to tell the guys writing the code that momentum isn’t an actual tangible thing, it’s mental. The momentum would naturally swing based on the mental state of the players participating, just like it does in real life. There isn’t an actual meter that decreases or increases the abilities or the odds of favourable bounces etc.

And this anti climatic playoff concept that is ultimately just another mini season played within one of five divisions is brutal.
  • [quote="IceLion68;c-2197989"][quote="twhite1387;c-2197975"]With crossplay hopefully coming for 22(rumour only), that'll help a ton[/quote]
    Source?

Much as I wish it to be true, I'd be highly shocked if this "rumour" had any credence.

[/quote]

There is no cross-play compatibility in the near forecast, EA already confirmed this on their Twitter account back in the fall.
  • EA_Aljo
    Cowan72 wrote: »
    Someone needs to tell the guys writing the code that momentum isn’t an actual tangible thing, it’s mental. The momentum would naturally swing based on the mental state of the players participating, just like it does in real life. There isn’t an actual meter that decreases or increases the abilities or the odds of favourable bounces etc.

They know this. This is why there is no in-game momentum mechanic that boosts one team over the other.
  • j0rtsu67
    644 posts Member
    edited June 14
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

They know this. This is why there is no in-game momentum mechanic that boosts one team over the other.
    Yeah, we already know that. But have to admit though, they do a pretty good work to emulate it... :p
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

Curious that they mention "on field momentum" for Madden though, those sorts of oopsies don't help the firmly planted seed. Neither here nor there, this comment just made me think of it, nothing more
  • EA_Aljo

Curious that they mention "on field momentum" for Madden though, those sorts of oopsies don't help the firmly planted seed. Neither here nor there, this comment just made me think of it, nothing more

That's a Madden 22 feature and has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with NHL.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

That's a Madden 22 feature and has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with NHL.

No need to get right on the extreme defensive, chief. I merely stated the fact that advertising a feature(that they adamantly denied existing in the first place), isn't going to help the firmly held belief of "outside interference" that many have, and that it made me think of it.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    With crossplay hopefully coming for 22(rumour only), that'll help a ton
    Source?

Sadly, No source. aside from a couple streamers and alot of players praying for it...hence why I said "hopefully" and "rumour only". I'm not holding my breath, either
  • EA_Aljo

No need to get right on the extreme defensive, chief. I merely stated the fact that advertising a feature(that they adamantly denied existing in the first place), isn't going to help the firmly held belief of "outside interference" that many have, and that it made me think of it.

I just needed to be very clear as having our words twisted into something they don't mean has been an extremely common occurrence here.