EA Forums - Banner

The Invisible Bubble/Force Field - Question for EA developers

jojorabbit11
3 posts New member
Honest question, can one of the EA developers (or anyone else who knows the answer) explain why it exists? It seems more prevalent lately too.

(And if youre going to ask what I'm talking about, Im referencing how sometimes even though you push your stick in a certain direction to check someone, your player quite literally go that way, if feels like there is a bubble that doesnt allow you to get close to him. Other times when they are weaving, its like your player is magnetized to them-you move in sync with them, but you still cant get close to hit them)

Can you explain why this exists? Glitch? or its coded that way for a reason?

Replies

• IceLion68
    1575 posts Member
    I literally ran into this last night - I wish I had clipped it :/

I went in to hit a guy skating into the D zone on the boards but instead of hitting him I ended up skating alongside him.
  • jojorabbit11
    3 posts New member
    Just lost a game because of it. Was trying to move out and check a defenseman and he was able to walk right around me because i was repelled by a forcefield. I'm not good enough at this game to beat forcefields.
  • jojorabbit11
    3 posts New member
    I'm guessing this wont be answered though
  • EA_Aljo
    3056 posts EA Community Manager

Hi, @jojorabbit11

This has been discussed many times here. There is no bubble. Hits are dependent on various factors. Ratings and the size of players are important. Speed and the angle at which the players collide are also part of the equation. If you can get some video of what you're seeing, it'll be reviewed. Thanks!
  • IceLion68
    1575 posts Member
    edited June 9
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

Hi, @jojorabbit11

This has been discussed many times here. There is no bubble. Hits are dependent on various factors. Ratings and the size of players are important. Speed and the angle at which the players collide are also part of the equation. If you can get some video of what you're seeing, it'll be reviewed. Thanks!

So this is one of those opportunities where EA folks could expand on this and explain how this works in more detail. If it has indeed been explained in great detail previously, a copy paste or a link would suffice.

OK so I assume RELATIVE (to each other) size matters - height? weight? both?
    How do each players strength and balance come into play? What exactly does "Body Checking" affect.

Are there other factors?

Does durability comes into play after the fact? How much energy you lose? chance of being injured?

Are there "degrees" of success? I sometimes run a small Dman (5'10/183), as in my example above (still cursing myself for not clipping this). While I am not necessarily expecting to knock the guy flat... I certainly expected at the very least that contact be made and some small effect to make him bobble the puck.... but when ZERO contact happens and the guy simply skates unimpeded down the boards ... well... it certainly FEELS like the mythical "bubble" - which you say (and I believe) doesn't actually exist - is there. The net effect (i.e. "none") is the same. The guy receives no contact and instead my guy simply skates alongside him with no effect. Again, not expecting a highlight reel hit but I expect *something*

• Is there still a "lock-on" assist in club games when going for a hit? There used to be in previous games, and it definitely still exists in 3s Eliminator, but I can't say I've explicitly seen or felt it in club games for a few years.

If it's still there in some form I wonder if it's partly responsible for times where you go for a hit but don't finish the motion into your opponent.
  • EA_Aljo
    edited June 9
    IceLion68 wrote: »

Hi, @jojorabbit11

So this is one of those opportunities where EA folks could expand on this and explain how this works in more detail. If it has indeed been explained in great detail previously, a copy paste or a link would suffice.

How do each players strength and balance come into play? What exactly does "Body Checking" affect.

Are there other factors?

Does durability comes into play after the fact? How much energy you lose? chance of being injured?

Are there "degrees" of success? I sometimes run a small Dman (5'10/183), as in my example above (still cursing myself for not clipping this). While I am not necessarily expecting to knock the guy flat... I certainly expected at the very least that contact be made and some small effect to make him bobble the puck.... but when ZERO contact happens and the guy simply skates unimpeded down the boards ... well... it certainly FEELS like the mythical "bubble" - which you say (and I believe) doesn't actually exist - is there. The net effect (i.e. "none") is the same. The guy receives no contact and instead my guy simply skates alongside him with no effect. Again, not expecting a highlight reel hit but I expect *something*

Size matters a lot. So does your body checking rating. Beyond that, opposing force is a big factor. You're going to make a bigger hit by making more contact at a higher speed going against your opponent's momentum. I see people complain about hits not being effective, but frequently they are hitting someone skating in the same direction as them. That's like trying to hit a puck that is moving away from you. It's not going to have the same force behind it.

Durability is the chance of being injured. It doesn't affect whether or not a hit lands.

There are varying degrees of success depending on how solid the hit is and how much of the player you make contact with. A more glancing blow from a shoulder to shoulder hit can make them stumble, but it's also easier to recover from. If your opponent is in a better position to pick up the puck, chances are good they will.
    Is there still a "lock-on" assist in club games when going for a hit? There used to be in previous games, and it definitely still exists in 3s Eliminator, but I can't say I've explicitly seen or felt it in club games for a few years.

If it's still there in some form I wonder if it's partly responsible for times where you go for a hit but don't finish the motion into your opponent.

There is no lock on assist. Not like there was in the 360/PS3 generation. As always, it would greatly help to see some video of the hits you're concerned with.
  • IceLion68
    1575 posts Member

Hi, @jojorabbit11

Are there other factors?

Size matters a lot. So does your body checking rating. Beyond that, opposing force is a big factor. You're going to make a bigger hit by making more contact at a higher speed going against your opponent's momentum. I see people complain about hits not being effective, but frequently they are hitting someone skating in the same direction as them. That's like trying to hit a puck that is moving away from you. It's not going to have the same force behind it.

Durability is the chance of being injured. It doesn't affect whether or not a hit lands.

There are varying degrees of success depending on how solid the hit is and how much of the player you make contact with. A more glancing blow from a shoulder to shoulder hit can make them stumble, but it's also easier to recover from. If your opponent is in a better position to pick up the puck, chances are good they will.
    Is there still a "lock-on" assist in club games when going for a hit? There used to be in previous games, and it definitely still exists in 3s Eliminator, but I can't say I've explicitly seen or felt it in club games for a few years.

There is no lock on assist. Not like there was in the 360/PS3 generation. As always, it would greatly help to see some video of the hits you're concerned with.
    Do strength or balance factor in? How so?
  • EA_Aljo

Hi, @jojorabbit11

Are there other factors?

Do strength or balance factor in? How so?

Since there is a body checking attribute, strength doesn't factor into hits so this attribute is pretty important. Size is also a big one, but a smaller player with good body checking is going to still hit hard whereas a large player with low body checking isn't going to hit as well.

Balance determines your chance to fall. Especially with hits where you don't make as much contact.
  • IceLion68
    1575 posts Member

Since there is a body checking attribute, strength doesn't factor into hits so this attribute is pretty important. Size is also a big one, but a smaller player with good body checking is going to still hit hard whereas a large player with low body checking isn't going to hit as well.

Balance determines your chance to fall. Especially with hits where you don't make as much contact.

First: Thanks for your responses sir - this is very elucidating
    Second: So WHAT does strength affect if not body checking? I understand it would not determine IF a hit is "successful" but I would have assumed it would impact the *effect* of a successful hit. i.e. knocking someone down, injuring, etc.

Shooting power is its own thing, the skating have their own attributes... I am drawing a blank on what else it might affect.
  • EA_Aljo

Second: So WHAT does strength affect if not body checking? I understand it would not determine IF a hit is "successful" but I would have assumed it would impact the *effect* of a successful hit. i.e. knocking someone down, injuring, etc.

Shooting power is its own thing, the skating have their own attributes... I am drawing a blank on what else it might affect.

Unfortunately, I don't have a comprehensive list of everything this attribute affects. In the previous generation, this was the description of the strength attribute -

Provides a boost to shot power, fighting ability, hitting ability and resistance to hits. Strength also improves the player's ability to pin an opponent using the boardplay button or escape a pin from another player.

However, it's possible this changed some for the current generation. If I get some better details, I'll provide an update.
  • Thanks for responding.

To be quite honest-and I'm not at all trying to be rude- I just dont believe that there isnt a "bubble"> I'm not talking about a smaller guy not being able to knock a larger guy over, I'm talking about directing my skater towards a player and him not even being able to make contact. If it was the case of my player not having enough momentum to knock the puck carrier over, i would completely understand that, but when someone is skating with full momentum and i still cant even make contact, that makes no sense. And the comment earlier about a checking "aim assist" makes sense because sometimes it feels like my player is being "forced" to mirror the carriers skating (for example when the puck carrier is weaving and my skater is on the backcheck). But I can tell you that 100% my skater isnt moving in the direction I'm pressing the stick. I'll clip some examples the next time I can, but with the pace of the games, it gets difficult.

> @EA_Aljo said:
    > Hi, @jojorabbit11
    >
    > This has been discussed many times here. There is no bubble. Hits are dependent on various factors. Ratings and the size of players are important. Speed and the angle at which the players collide are also part of the equation. If you can get some video of what you're seeing, it'll be reviewed. Thanks!
  • EA_Aljo
    @jojorabbit11

I would need to see video to find out why this happened. If you get some, let me know. Thanks!
  • johnny2fingaz
    314 posts Member
    edited June 18

Unfortunately, I don't have a comprehensive list of everything this attribute affects. In the previous generation, this was the description of the strength attribute -

Provides a boost to shot power, fighting ability, hitting ability and resistance to hits. Strength also improves the player's ability to pin an opponent using the boardplay button or escape a pin from another player.

However, it's possible this changed some for the current generation. If I get some better details, I'll provide an update.

Ya I’ve been waiting 2 years for that info. While I’m thankful for you humouring us, I stopped holding my breath for a simple explanation from develop for attributes. Shifted me from an optimistic player to a cynical player unfortunately. Oh well

As for the “bubble” it does feel like a bubble if your guy is smaller than your target - frankly I think pucks should be looser and more dynamic. Also I think players should be impeded more by close contact. And speed should be more realistic - it will create more of a hockey like experience instead of the strange circus show we have currently.

OR at the very least make it possible to use our OWN sliders for an EASHL match. Imagine a league where we could have closer to sim like speeds where hockey knowledge actually comes into play….. imagine!

• Being a shorty at 5'6 I just wanna say that in real life, even though most guys are up to a full foot taller than me, I can still bump them off the puck, at the very least, if I tried (especially on skates).

In-game a guy my size does absolutely NOTHING to someone slightly beefier - my Jimmies are rustled and my experience is ruined >.<0

I completely understand and agree with size pros and cons, but I still think a short guy should still rock a big guy if done right.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    I literally ran into this last night - I wish I had clipped it :/

I went in to hit a guy skating into the D zone on the boards but instead of hitting him I ended up skating alongside him.

This stuff has been going on for some time...they have once again allowed the "ballerina" style of play...IE holding your stick out to the right, thus becoming nigh invincible. Your skater will initiate the hit, your controller vibrates from making "contact", your player will clearly do the animation(which does not kick in unless you make contact)...and they just keep going, not even hindered in the least by the fact that they are 5'7", 170 lbs and got run into by a 6', 210 lb grinder with a clean line. Although...all four times last night were against clubs full of silvers and bronzes(how tf are they in elite playoffs) vs us Platinums and Diamonds, which does make it doubly suspicious