EA Forums - Banner

Might want to look at that goaltender interference code again

According to NHL 21, this is a good goal:


Replies

  • IceLion68
    1575 posts Member
    Yikes. I have seen some calls that went the wrong way in the other direction as well. This logic definitely needs some love
  • jrago73
    697 posts Member
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    Yikes. I have seen some calls that went the wrong way in the other direction as well. This logic definitely needs some love

    Yeah what shows up doesn't always match the call. I suspect it gets wonky when players/goalies enter into locked in animations, seems mostly correct if its a free skate collision.
  • Damn...been on the wrong side of this way too often. We once had a goal called back...when it was his own defenceman who bumped him...but I guess it's true to real life, nobody knows what constitutes goaltender interference. So I'm not surprised they can't get this right, I mean...the sheer volume of icings that aren't even remotely correct either...
  • EA_Aljo
    3060 posts EA Community Manager
    twhite1387 wrote: »
    I mean...the sheer volume of icings that aren't even remotely correct either...

    I've definitely seen this happen, but it's a much smaller percentage than good icing calls. Regardless, they shouldn't be happening and the dev team is aware of them.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    twhite1387 wrote: »
    I mean...the sheer volume of icings that aren't even remotely correct either...

    I've definitely seen this happen, but it's a much smaller percentage than good icing calls. Regardless, they shouldn't be happening and the dev team is aware of them.

    Are they aware off the missed offside calls too?
  • EA_Aljo
    3060 posts EA Community Manager
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    twhite1387 wrote: »
    I mean...the sheer volume of icings that aren't even remotely correct either...

    I've definitely seen this happen, but it's a much smaller percentage than good icing calls. Regardless, they shouldn't be happening and the dev team is aware of them.

    Are they aware off the missed offside calls too?

    I wasn't aware of an issue with missed offside calls. It's not something I've noticed personally, but will certainly keep an eye out for it. If you can get some video, I'll make sure it gets to the dev team.
  • jrago73
    697 posts Member
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    twhite1387 wrote: »
    I mean...the sheer volume of icings that aren't even remotely correct either...

    I've definitely seen this happen, but it's a much smaller percentage than good icing calls. Regardless, they shouldn't be happening and the dev team is aware of them.

    Are they aware off the missed offside calls too?

    I wasn't aware of an issue with missed offside calls. It's not something I've noticed personally, but will certainly keep an eye out for it. If you can get some video, I'll make sure it gets to the dev team.

    Our group has noticed bad offsides calls. It's not frequent but sometimes a player can do the stretch animation but are clearly well over the line with both feet and its allowed. Ill try to remember to record it but NHL is currently on a timeout until it learns to behave again.
  • EA_Aljo
    3060 posts EA Community Manager
    jrago73 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    twhite1387 wrote: »
    I mean...the sheer volume of icings that aren't even remotely correct either...

    I've definitely seen this happen, but it's a much smaller percentage than good icing calls. Regardless, they shouldn't be happening and the dev team is aware of them.

    Are they aware off the missed offside calls too?

    I wasn't aware of an issue with missed offside calls. It's not something I've noticed personally, but will certainly keep an eye out for it. If you can get some video, I'll make sure it gets to the dev team.

    Our group has noticed bad offsides calls. It's not frequent but sometimes a player can do the stretch animation but are clearly well over the line with both feet and its allowed. Ill try to remember to record it but NHL is currently on a timeout until it learns to behave again.

    Sounds good. Just let me know if you get a clip showing this. It would also be good to zoom in on the players so we can clearly see they are offside.
  • johnny2fingaz
    314 posts Member
    edited June 24
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    jrago73 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    twhite1387 wrote: »
    I mean...the sheer volume of icings that aren't even remotely correct either...

    I've definitely seen this happen, but it's a much smaller percentage than good icing calls. Regardless, they shouldn't be happening and the dev team is aware of them.

    Are they aware off the missed offside calls too?

    I wasn't aware of an issue with missed offside calls. It's not something I've noticed personally, but will certainly keep an eye out for it. If you can get some video, I'll make sure it gets to the dev team.

    Our group has noticed bad offsides calls. It's not frequent but sometimes a player can do the stretch animation but are clearly well over the line with both feet and its allowed. Ill try to remember to record it but NHL is currently on a timeout until it learns to behave again.

    Sounds good. Just let me know if you get a clip showing this. It would also be good to zoom in on the players so we can clearly see they are offside.

    Check this out https://www.reddit.com/r/EA_NHL/comments/nyqilz/mightve_been_offside_but_i_threw_a_guy_in_the/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

  • I don't think that would get overturned on a coach's challenge, although it kind of looks like the puck goes through his skate and cuts part of it off for a second.
  • Beauts90 wrote: »

    I don't think that would get overturned on a coach's challenge, although it kind of looks like the puck goes through his skate and cuts part of it off for a second.

    Go frame by frame - the player is completely over the line before the puck is on his stick
  • Beauts90
    100 posts Member
    Go frame by frame - the player is completely over the line before the puck is on his stick

    As long as the puck is over the blue line before his back skate the play would be onside regardless of when the puck gets to his stick.
  • IceLion68
    1575 posts Member
    Beauts90 wrote: »
    Go frame by frame - the player is completely over the line before the puck is on his stick

    As long as the puck is over the blue line before his back skate the play would be onside regardless of when the puck gets to his stick.

    Looks offside to me - his skate goes over before the puck it looks like?
  • wk77dkclj2ie.png

    It's pretty close, but IMO it looks onside to me, but just barely.
  • wk77dkclj2ie.png

    It's pretty close, but IMO it looks onside to me, but just barely.

    Oof. That looks offside to my eye.
  • twhite1387 wrote: »
    Oof. That looks offside to my eye.

    I'll admit it's really hard to tell one way or the other with that shot. Between the angle, highlight-circle and the ice texture not being clear it makes it difficult to get a clear picture. Without a proper zoomed-in overhead shot I'm not surprised people could look at that and come to different conclusions. It certainly wouldn't be a hill I'd be willing to die on. :smile:

  • jrago73
    697 posts Member
    twhite1387 wrote: »
    Oof. That looks offside to my eye.

    I'll admit it's really hard to tell one way or the other with that shot. Between the angle, highlight-circle and the ice texture not being clear it makes it difficult to get a clear picture. Without a proper zoomed-in overhead shot I'm not surprised people could look at that and come to different conclusions. It certainly wouldn't be a hill I'd be willing to die on. :smile:

    I'm with you. If I were playing I wouldn't complain one way or the other. The occasional bad calls I'm talking about are like 5 feet past the line.
  • Beauts90 wrote: »
    Go frame by frame - the player is completely over the line before the puck is on his stick

    As long as the puck is over the blue line before his back skate the play would be onside regardless of when the puck gets to his stick.

    Aye you’re right about that. My bad
  • EA_Aljo
    3060 posts EA Community Manager
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    jrago73 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    twhite1387 wrote: »
    I mean...the sheer volume of icings that aren't even remotely correct either...

    I've definitely seen this happen, but it's a much smaller percentage than good icing calls. Regardless, they shouldn't be happening and the dev team is aware of them.

    Are they aware off the missed offside calls too?

    I wasn't aware of an issue with missed offside calls. It's not something I've noticed personally, but will certainly keep an eye out for it. If you can get some video, I'll make sure it gets to the dev team.

    Our group has noticed bad offsides calls. It's not frequent but sometimes a player can do the stretch animation but are clearly well over the line with both feet and its allowed. Ill try to remember to record it but NHL is currently on a timeout until it learns to behave again.

    Sounds good. Just let me know if you get a clip showing this. It would also be good to zoom in on the players so we can clearly see they are offside.

    Check this out https://www.reddit.com/r/EA_NHL/comments/nyqilz/mightve_been_offside_but_i_threw_a_guy_in_the/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

    Thanks for the video. As others have pointed out, this is extremely close. It would be good to see the ones that are very obviously offside. If you get any video of this, let us know and we'll make sure it gets in front of the dev team.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!