EA Forums - Banner

Shooting Habits

I just wanted to know where everyone aims their shots? Of course it's all relative to each situation but im just very curious. I only ever play dman. If there is any traffic in from then 99% I don't move the cursor and shoot right for the middle of the goalie. If I have time to walk in a wrister then I usually aim under the armpits of the goalie as those seem to squeak through every now and again. I almost never aim 5 hole as that is a non existent opening in this year's game.

Replies

• As a Dman it's better to shoot low for rebounds or tips unless you're in a prime scoring area. When shooting on AI goalies the only way to beat them with consistency is by the high glove exploit, the cross-crease or by breakaway dekes.
  • belair_col wrote: »
    As a Dman it's better to shoot low for rebounds or tips unless you're in a prime scoring area. When shooting on AI goalies the only way to beat them with consistency is by the high glove exploit, the cross-crease or by breakaway dekes.

I Find that low shots get through less often than a mid section shot. Also I will just about always hit the net if I don't touch the cursor, whereas aiming can be random at times.
  • IceLion68
    1610 posts Member
    belair_col wrote: »
    As a Dman it's better to shoot low for rebounds or tips unless you're in a prime scoring area.

As a rule this has been theoretically and historically true though I personally haven't had as much success with it this year as I have in previous years.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    As a Dman it's better to shoot low for rebounds or tips unless you're in a prime scoring area.

As a rule this has been theoretically and historically true though I personally haven't had as much success with it this year as I have in previous years.

Agreed, this season picks seem to pinball away from the net this year. That's why now I aim for the mid section. Slightly high (goalies neck area) or slightly low (5 hole)
  • IceLion68 wrote: »

Of course it's all dependant on shooting area, if it's off a faceoff win, a drop pass, a lateral pass or a one-time opportunity. I'm just assuming OP is talking about a low quality shot attempt.

EA seriously nerfed the point shots this year and as a Dman I'm leaning more to throwing banks off the boards or throwing the puck behind the net unless I'm 100% certain there's a good shooting lane. Too often their shots get blocked and there's an immediate change of possession that is a significant problem because my guy is stuck in a shot animation, facing the wrong direction.
  • JG_Philosophy
    21 posts Member
    edited July 6
    IceLion68 wrote: »

Of course it's all dependant on shooting area, if it's off a faceoff win, a drop pass, a lateral pass or a one-time opportunity. I'm just assuming OP is talking about a low quality shot attempt.

EA seriously nerfed the point shots this year and as a Dman I'm leaning more to throwing banks off the boards or throwing the puck behind the net unless I'm 100% certain there's a good shooting lane. Too often their shots get blocked and there's an immediate change of possession that is a significant problem because my guy is stuck in a shot animation, facing the wrong direction.

I'm talking about general situations. I usually look to pass first but if I don't see a ton of movement from my teammates or any net drive then I take a shot. I usually am just trying to get the puck down low but It would be nice to slip one past the goalie once in a while. When I so take a shot I am typically at the blue line as I am a stay at home dman. I look and see who is closest to the goalie and aim for them hoping for a deflection.
    Post edited by JG_Philosophy on
  • I have found that shots seem to clip through just about everything if they're about mid high, whereas low shots rarely get through. I've also pondered if shot aim is on auto at times because I will aim say, low stick with my sniper, and the puck will centerpunch the goalie's chest or even go high glove. In general it usually seems to go where the goalie as the most coverage and not where I aim.
  • EA_Aljo
    3193 posts EA Community Manager
    twhite1387 wrote: »
    I have found that shots seem to clip through just about everything if they're about mid high, whereas low shots rarely get through. I've also pondered if shot aim is on auto at times because I will aim say, low stick with my sniper, and the puck will centerpunch the goalie's chest or even go high glove. In general it usually seems to go where the goalie as the most coverage and not where I aim.

The puck shouldn't be clipping through players/objects. It sounds like this is happening frequently for you. Can you get some video so I can send it over to the dev team? Thanks!
  • Sent some already via a dev on tw
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    I have found that shots seem to clip through just about everything if they're about mid high, whereas low shots rarely get through. I've also pondered if shot aim is on auto at times because I will aim say, low stick with my sniper, and the puck will centerpunch the goalie's chest or even go high glove. In general it usually seems to go where the goalie as the most coverage and not where I aim.

The puck shouldn't be clipping through players/objects. It sounds like this is happening frequently for you. Can you get some video so I can send it over to the dev team? Thanks!

Sent some through to a dev via the twitter EA liason, but thanks! It's videos of the puck going through the meat of someone's leg, through the goalie's chest, a skater's torso etc.
  • EA_Aljo
    3193 posts EA Community Manager
    Sent some already via a dev on tw
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

Sent some through to a dev via the twitter EA liason, but thanks! It's videos of the puck going through the meat of someone's leg, through the goalie's chest, a skater's torso etc.

Did you send them to Ben on Twitter? If so, that's perfect.
  • twhite1387 wrote: »

I agree with you on the auto aim. I have ideas on how to improve shooting in future games, im going to make a YouTube video on it.