EA Forums - Banner

NHL22 Beta Confirmed?

Prev13456712
IceLion68
1624 posts Member
edited July 2021
@EA_Blueberry pls delete if not allowed

https://www.sportsgamersonline.com/games/hockey/nhl-22-beta-leaked/
When asked about the beta on the PlayStation 5, the account said that the size is expected to be over 30GB for users on that platform.

“For this beta, still [no] information,” they said. “But for alpha version [it was] +30 GB.”

The NHL 22 beta is also expected to come for the Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S consoles. A signup, if confirmed, is likely to be announced when the game is officially revealed at, or around, EA Play Live on July 22.

When revealed, it’s also expected that the series will make the jump to the Frostbite Engine after eight games on the Ignite Engine. With the anticipated jump, many fans are hoping for a return of the franchise to PC. Though a beta on the platform shouldn’t be expected.
Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.

Replies

• Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    Things are starting to move.

Hell - might need to take some extra shift - betta have that brand new ps5 ready - not thaaat far away.
  • yup...I'm thinking the same thing, @Sega82mega...hopefully
  • I expect a huge graphical leap and nothing else. Not excited at all.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    I expect a huge graphical leap and nothing else. Not excited at all.

Hehe as the big hockey fan I know you are - you gotta have some curiosity for this next generation hockey game - with frostbite(?) - HyperMotion (??) as a new game engine...

But maybe a little 'expect the worst hope for the best' scenario.

We all been there - with some dissatisfaction.
  • Follisimo
    1346 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    EA will be sure to take my $100 so i can own both versions because leagues won't be able to work on next-gen only.

I'm sure next-gen will see quite a few QoL changes. The PS4/XB1 probably not so much.
  • I expect a huge graphical leap and nothing else. Not excited at all.

You're much more hopeful than I. While Fifa and Madden had noticeable graphical changes they were certainly nowhere near huge. I guess NHL has the most room to grow in that regard, though.
  • Rozsos27 wrote: »

You're much more hopeful than I. While Fifa and Madden had noticeable graphical changes they were certainly nowhere near huge. I guess NHL has the most room to grow in that regard, though.

They were already on frostbite though so it makes a little more sense.
    Sega82mega wrote: »

Hehe as the big hockey fan I know you are - you gotta have some curiosity for this next generation hockey game - with frostbite(?) - HyperMotion (??) as a new game engine...

Honestly I’d love to be excited, but the sliders offline don’t work, they can play at two different speeds without touching a slider. This has existed for 3-4 years at least now and they’ve done nothing. The AI have been nothing short of miserable forever with occasional marginal improvements. The AI teammates play so passive and stupid compared to your CPU opponents due to the competitive scene, the AI opponents get to cheat the physics engine and do whatever they want when it comes to skating direction, they win “50/50” puck battles 99% of the time, they score the same scripted rebound goals where they pump a 100 mph shot off the pad from two feet away that produces a .5 mph rebound right to their teammates stick, the goalies just nonsensical idk where to even begin, and we still have things like kicking/sweeping pucks in your own end that can’t be done in an aimed fashion as a user while the CPU can make 80 foot breakout passes with it lol.

The AI and the user DO NOT have the same abilities. The AI teammates compared to their AI opponent counterparts DO NOT play the same. The goals are scripted for the CPU, there’s nothing remotely “organic” about them. The puck physics have become an absolute joke compared to NHL 15 that it’s shocking. Net physics broke this year. Shooting in your own zone targets the net, known issue that is usually a first patch issue every year that was left untouched this year, I just have literally zero excitement for this series anymore.

When you can’t even have functioning offline sliders, when multiple community members bring this up and receive literally nothing in return for 3+ years, there’s just nothing left to be excited about. This next generation I bet we get a few more marginal AI improvements, puck physics will never return to 15 levels, goalies will be tuned to let in the same 2-3 meta shots every year, presentation will still be a joke, crowd will still be quiet about 3 second after a goal, and the AI skaters will still not adhere to the physics engine.

Those are my predictions based on this last generation where sliders were broken from 18/19 on and almost zero effort went into making the offline experience immersive and fun.
  • Rozsos27 wrote: »

They Dev team has had over a year with a next generation development kit by now I'd imagine so they should at a bare minimum have the best chance to wow us with the graphics from year over year.

I'm more interested in gameplay improvements though. This is the only game I can drop a lot of time into without getting bored with what's going on on the playing surface. But it's far from perfect.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    Rozsos27 wrote: »

Honestly I’d love to be excited, but the sliders offline don’t work, they can play at two different speeds without touching a slider. This has existed for 3-4 years at least now and they’ve done nothing. The AI have been nothing short of miserable forever with occasional marginal improvements. The AI teammates play so passive and stupid compared to your CPU opponents due to the competitive scene, the AI opponents get to cheat the physics engine and do whatever they want when it comes to skating direction, they win “50/50” puck battles 99% of the time, they score the same scripted rebound goals where they pump a 100 mph shot off the pad from two feet away that produces a .5 mph rebound right to their teammates stick, the goalies just nonsensical idk where to even begin, and we still have things like kicking/sweeping pucks in your own end that can’t be done in an aimed fashion as a user while the CPU can make 80 foot breakout passes with it lol.

The AI and the user DO NOT have the same abilities. The AI teammates compared to their AI opponent counterparts DO NOT play the same. The goals are scripted for the CPU, there’s nothing remotely “organic” about them. The puck physics have become an absolute joke compared to NHL 15 that it’s shocking. Net physics broke this year. Shooting in your own zone targets the net, known issue that is usually a first patch issue every year that was left untouched this year, I just have literally zero excitement for this series anymore.

When you can’t even have functioning offline sliders, when multiple community members bring this up and receive literally nothing in return for 3+ years, there’s just nothing left to be excited about. This next generation I bet we get a few more marginal AI improvements, puck physics will never return to 15 levels, goalies will be tuned to let in the same 2-3 meta shots every year, presentation will still be a joke, crowd will still be quiet about 3 second after a goal, and the AI skaters will still not adhere to the physics engine.

Those are my predictions based on this last generation where sliders were broken from 18/19 on and almost zero effort went into making the offline experience immersive and fun.

But you are getting yourself a copy?

Im looking forward to some 'first news' - it's hard to know what to expect when I know nothing about whats coming.

But something tells me this can be good.

But I Save a prayer for you - that this slider thing is no longer bothering you or anyone else.
  • Follisimo
    1346 posts Member
    The real question is when do we see the 1st information of NHL 22? I'd assume it would be one of these 2 days.

EA Play is July 22nd.
    NHL Draft is July 23rd-24th
  • IceLion68
    1624 posts Member
    Follisimo wrote: »
    The real question is when do we see the 1st information of NHL 22? I'd assume it would be one of these 2 days.

EA Play is July 22nd.
    NHL Draft is July 23rd-24th
    Pretty sure it’s been confirmed for EA Play
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

Im looking forward to some 'first news' - it's hard to know what to expect when I know nothing about whats coming.

But I Save a prayer for you - that this slider thing is no longer bothering you or anyone else.

I’m usually gifted a copy every year. I end up playing the new version for the marginal improvements because why not when I’m gifted it, but I spent so much time in 21 making my league that I don’t see a small improvement making me ditch that.

I’d need a noticeably more competent AI and with the frostbite switch I just don’t see that happening. That’s a major ask, so I’m not optimistic in the least bit that we’ll see anything that will blow me away.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited July 2021

I’m usually gifted a copy every year. I end up playing the new version for the marginal improvements because why not when I’m gifted it, but I spent so much time in 21 making my league that I don’t see a small improvement making me ditch that.

I’d need a noticeably more competent AI and with the frostbite switch I just don’t see that happening. That’s a major ask, so I’m not optimistic in the least bit that we’ll see anything that will blow me away.

Cant wait for my first review of the game.

I will do my best to be fully honest.

😏👍

I can swear - some of the words from the marketing will be something about 'a better AI' - so eventually will find out, if thats true... 😱
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

😏👍

I can swear - some of the words from the marketing will be something about 'a better AI' - so eventually will find out, if thats true... 😱

AI is not a flashy feature to put on the box. Though it better be better than what we had last generation.
  • untouchable_BF1
    1528 posts Member
    edited July 2021

😏👍

AI is not a flashy feature to put on the box. Though it better be better than what we had last generation.

That would be an extremely low bar imo lol. Having the AI on both sides respect the physics engine would be a good start. Maybe some common break-in concepts like “center lane drive” be implemented considering almost every break-in ever revolves around this concept? Forechecking just lacks basic logic and the current strategies listed/able to be chosen mean nothing to nobody except for the people that developed them as there’s multiple ways to run forechecks regardless of the structure.

For example, when teaching forechecking IRL, F1’s first job is to cutoff the behind the net option. This is called a “force” and is the basic foundation any forecheck is based around. So, cutting off the behind the net pass/skate option and forcing strong-side is my primary goal for F1. (If this fails, we retreat/mitigate the inevitable rush which starts with F3 taking an inside-out angle at the puck carrier who has escaped to the previous weak-side.) Anyway, from there F2 is making a hard play (pressure) on the carrier towards his inevitable escape route which is the current strong-side right? Still following? From there depending on what my opponent is doing for a breakout, I’m either having F3 slide over to the strong side wing (if they’re running a high breakout where the center is high, therefore pinching my strong-side D is too risky) or I’m having them sit in the middle of the slot to 1. Cut off the cross-ice pass and 2. Be there to shadow the low center breakout opinion which is where they’ll inevitably go after my strong-side D pinches. Long-story short, id consider this a “1-2-2 aggressive” but that’s not how this game runs a “1-2-2 aggressive” from what I can tell which is admittedly hard to tell as the AI dmen are woeful at pinching when appropriate so even if this is the case so you’d never know, but the issue still stands. I don’t get the goals or intent behind the strategies in this game. They can all be taught in different ways and from what I can tell/assess, none of them are executed even decently in this game.

Another example, there’s a team in our conference that LOVES D-to-D NZ regrouping and D-to-D behind the net breakouts. How do you counter this? You send one forward hard at each defenseman and have your 3rd forward sit in the middle. The first forward in this forecheck is actually going to force the initial D with the puck towards the inside (forcing a direction is the basic of all forechecks I should add, not getting the puck as you’re not the expected guy to win the puck) so they make the pass as they’ve been instructed to do. Hopefully F2 gets there early enough to really put pressure on D2 or D1 might hold/hesitate because they feel the pressure and then that’s obviously where turnovers and breakdowns happen.

I’m not by any means someone who is a huge X’s and O’s Guy. I like coaching high schoolers at a level where skill development wins games more than strategies (and this is sadly much overlooked by “coaches” at this level), but these are basic hockey concepts I coach that are seemingly not in the game. This isn’t some NHL-level analysis either, this is basic hockey and these are “lines” or “trees” if you will that have many different versions from the few I presented. Why are we not getting at least this level of AI focus in a hockey game in 2021, especially when that holds back the game more than any physical feature offline? The AI does not do any of these things well or even decent imo. We need a complete overhaul when it comes to strategies and execution.

To this point, this “tree” really doesn’t involve anything “dynamic” either, like these are options that could be “statically” executed with some expected failure which could be alleviated by human intervention. Cutoff behind the net for F1 which involves having F1 set their “target” to the end boards on the strong side right next to the net, no read necessary. Once that’s achieved, pressure the backside of the carrier (basically follow along the boards) to prevent an escape back towards the net. F2 can be set to be aimed right at the carrier, their job is to force up the boards so failure to cut off that pass is not an issue. F3 can be set to either staying glued to the strong side hash mark or middle of the slot depending on the strategy chosen, no read necessary, change will boil down to the user reading the breakout (CPU would adjust accordingly too, to the user’s strategy implemented.) lastly, get rid of the pinch/hold line option, this should already be dictated by the forecheck and the offensive pressure level. If I’m running the “middle of the slot” variant I expect my D to pinch 10/10 times, it’s part of the breakout. There’s no leeway until a back pass is made which is when I’d expect the D to disengage and retreat. If I’m running the “side boards” variant, they should never be pinching as I’m worried about the streaking center and the chip on the strong-side. There’s no leeway there again. It’s a “never pinch” scenario.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    Your words is gold.

MR Bf1.

I think a big thing would be if the physical play becomes more intense.

It's too easy avoiding being hit - which in turn forces the gameplay to be awkward.

When I go for contact - I have a plan - but often I have to recalculate - 4-5 times beacuse the opponent manage to escape my pressure.

Hits that surprise the opponent - dosent happen very often.
  • IceLion68
    1624 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    <lengthy and ridiculously insightful hockey strategy discussion >

@EA_Blueberry @EA_Aljo

What do we need to do to make this man a game changer?
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    Hehe nice quote!

The 'quote god'.. 😏
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    IceLion68 wrote: »

@EA_Blueberry @EA_Aljo

I think a 'spot is open' - If Bf1 even wanna be a game changer? Takes some time, but if he's up for it - in that case he should have a question from EA. Bf1 is probebly the most respected man on this board, both from community people - and I think to EA people.

You can tell he knows hockey and also have pretty great knowledge/insight about this game and it's mechanics.

He got my vote. Without a doubt.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »

@EA_Blueberry @EA_Aljo

I appreciate the nod boys but I don’t think I could do what I do in an official capacity. I’m too critical at times, I realize this. It comes from a place of care but that emotional fire probably wouldn’t be too constructive lol. I also don’t want to “dial back” though which I feel like comes with that program. I don’t want to sweet-talk the game, don’t want to justify shortcomings or tell people to be patient. I’d rather be a unbiased voice for the part of the community that Madden is finding out is bigger than they thought when they decided to focus exclusively on multiplayer the last few years.

Sports games simply are built for the offline user. You can try to make them online-focused, but at the end of the day people want to play the actual sport that’s attempting to be represented. The elite sweats are a smaller portion than they claim to be, it’s time that the core gameplay is focused around hockey and tuned to their liking rather than vice versa. Their meta and preferred style of play are easily recreated by any tuner set, regardless of the AI play. We need the AI to be good enough to engage offline players. The honeymoon of the skill stick and even DSS and RPM now are over. We have feature depth, now we need strategy depth to truly take this game to the next level.