EA Forums - Banner

Suggestion for skater options CHEL

I’ve seen some really good ideas for 22 in regards to game play, interface improvements, and customization. One thing I would really love to see in Chel is line changes.

How this would work, each player creates multiple skater builds. Each build is a line. 4 lines could work, but I think it would be too much. 3 would be ideal and 2 would still make me happy. Each line has an overall rating ex. Line 1 skaters have overall of 90, line 2 overall 80 and so on. (How your stats apply are based on player type plus points. If your a 90 overall sniper w xx weight and xx height you start with these specific stats up to 80 overall. The last 10 of your rating can be applied anywhere. This would allow for more customization and keeps things even.)

With this change stamina would become more important, and line changes would bring an extra step towards realism.

This would be primarily for 6s but could work in 3s as well.

How to keep track of your lines? Instead of having skater A skater B… like we do now it would be line A line B. You would create your characters for each line allowing you to set up a FWD line D line or 2 G builds. I’ll get to some goalie stuff in a sec. When you play eliminators you always use the line 1 skater on the line option yku choose.

Goalies should also be able to build two options. When a goalie gets scored on there stats temporarily decrease. 3 goals in a single period drop your goalies attributes by 15-20. These would come back if no goals are scored in xx amount of time. This would give you a reason to pull a goalie who was just scored in 5 times in one period.

Please let me know what you guys think. I really love this concept and could see it as a huge add on to the game using animations and codes that are already in the game. Little work high reward?? If you hate the idea let me know.. don’t want to suck the fun out of the game for everyone else.

Replies

• IceLion68
    1618 posts Member
    I’ve seen some really good ideas for 22 in regards to game play, interface improvements, and customization. One thing I would really love to see in Chel is line changes.
    You are not the first person to raise this idea.
    How this would work, each player creates multiple skater builds. Each build is a line. 4 lines could work, but I think it would be too much. 3 would be ideal and 2 would still make me happy. Each line has an overall rating ex. Line 1 skaters have overall of 90, line 2 overall 80 and so on. (How your stats apply are based on player type plus points. If your a 90 overall sniper w xx weight and xx height you start with these specific stats up to 80 overall. The last 10 of your rating can be applied anywhere. This would allow for more customization and keeps things even.)

With this change stamina would become more important, and line changes would bring an extra step towards realism.

This would be primarily for 6s but could work in 3s as well.

How to keep track of your lines? Instead of having skater A skater B… like we do now it would be line A line B. You would create your characters for each line allowing you to set up a FWD line D line or 2 G builds. I’ll get to some goalie stuff in a sec. When you play eliminators you always use the line 1 skater on the line option yku choose.

Goalies should also be able to build two options. When a goalie gets scored on there stats temporarily decrease. 3 goals in a single period drop your goalies attributes by 15-20. These would come back if no goals are scored in xx amount of time. This would give you a reason to pull a goalie who was just scored in 5 times in one period.

Please let me know what you guys think. I really love this concept and could see it as a huge add on to the game using animations and codes that are already in the game. Little work high reward?? If you hate the idea let me know.. don’t want to suck the fun out of the game for everyone else.

To be as charitable as I can here, what you're describing is not really suitable for CHEL in my opinion.
    1. The idea of using line changes - or anything for the sake of "reality" - in Eliminator modes is ridiculous. It's arcade hockey
    2. What you describe as far as stats distribution and ratings cannot even be accommodated by the build system currently.
    3. I agree that stamina is an issue but I think the game can address this without adding the complexity and labour of implementing line management into a mode that's not really meant to be strategic.
    4. It's onerous. I can't imagine doing all this for drop-ins.
    5. Who gets to decide when a line change is made? How does it happen? Will the game now need to recognize "too many men on the ice"? If so how will it choose who goes to the box to serve the penalty?
    6. There are not enough build slots to make this practical
    7. Forwards run with 4 lines and Defense runs with 3. How do you ratify this?
    8. There are SO many other things, more important things, that need to be addressed in this game to enhance realism
    9. I am not sure why you think this is "little work/high reward"? To me it seems like the opposite.
    There are already modes if you want to play this way. CHEL is not - and should not be - this mode.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • @IceLion68 Maybe I wasn’t clear in my post. This add on would really only be for clubs and maybe drop in 6s. I see your point as for drop ins being an issue but never thought that it would work for eliminator. I said you would just get your top build in eliminator type stuff.

As for the stats.. it could easily be implemented with the current System. Knock everyone down 5 overall and give those stats back to us choosing exactly where it goes.

Implementation would be very easy considering it’s already a game mechanic and the only thing that would really need doing is the menu to adjust multiple lines.

I agree that many other things need to be done as well, but thought this would be easy to implement if wanted.

I play LG so maybe that’s why I want it, but seems like you don’t like the idea. That’s fine if you don’t I just feel you had no valid argument as to why it can’t work or why it’s hard to implement.
  • IceLion68
    1618 posts Member
    @IceLion68 Maybe I wasn’t clear in my post. This add on would really only be for clubs and maybe drop in 6s. I see your point as for drop ins being an issue but never thought that it would work for eliminator. I said you would just get your top build in eliminator type stuff.
    Ah yes I misread that part. I see now what you're saying
    As for the stats.. it could easily be implemented with the current System. Knock everyone down 5 overall and give those stats back to us choosing exactly where it goes.

Implementation would be very easy considering it’s already a game mechanic and the only thing that would really need doing is the menu to adjust multiple lines.

I agree that many other things need to be done as well, but thought this would be easy to implement if wanted.

I play LG so maybe that’s why I want it, but seems like you don’t like the idea. That’s fine if you don’t I just feel you had no valid argument as to why it can’t work or why it’s hard to implement.

It's not already a game mechanic in a *6 v 6 multiplayer* mode and that's my point. How *exactly* do you manage 5 human players (and I don't even want to get into the whole goalie scenario you outlined) changing lines?

Anyways, details aside I will simplify my position:

1. For me, this - like stick breaks - is a realism I can do without. It adds no real additional *enjoyment* to the game while introducing a lot of "overhead" and unnecessary complexity
    2. It introduces complexity that I think poses challenges for the development team. And again, for very little benefit really. I would much rather see effort expended elsewhere.
  • For online 6’s I’d like the ability to change and use another of ones player build. During intermission maybe be able to switch to a more offensive or defensive build depending on if you’re winning or losing.

This ability might even persuade players to not quit games when they’re losing and being outplayed which is the result of their pre game build they picked not matching up well with those on the other team. Losing players could switch their built thinking it will overcome them losing and being outplayed. Also whether you’re winning or losing a player might want to switch their build to combat a quitter team that now has 3 or more AI players.
  • IceLion68
    1618 posts Member
    For online 6’s I’d like the ability to change and use another of ones player build. During intermission maybe be able to switch to a more offensive or defensive build depending on if you’re winning or losing.

This ability might even persuade players to not quit games when they’re losing and being outplayed which is the result of their pre game build they picked not matching up well with those on the other team. Losing players could switch their built thinking it will overcome them losing and being outplayed. Also whether you’re winning or losing a player might want to switch their build to combat a quitter team that now has 3 or more AI players.
    Right but the OP is suggesting actual line changes running 3 lines or whatever. very different thing IMO
  • For online 6’s I’d like the ability to change and use another of ones player build. During intermission maybe be able to switch to a more offensive or defensive build depending on if you’re winning or losing.

I initially proposed this a couple months ago. The idea of switching your player type at the intermission is something I've always been a proponent for. "In game adjustments", per se. The other option is removing the negative aspects of the traits...they simply don't make sense nor serve a purpose. Often times the traits make your player significantly and noticeably worse, which makes them self defeating
  • IceLion68
    1618 posts Member
    Agree with eliminating negative trait aspects.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    For online 6’s I’d like the ability to change and use another of ones player build. During intermission maybe be able to switch to a more offensive or defensive build depending on if you’re winning or losing.

Right but the OP is suggesting actual line changes running 3 lines or whatever. very different thing IMO

This was my suggestion.

• thebrazenhead75
    236 posts Member
    edited July 21
    IceLion68 wrote: »

Definitely! A bonus trait etc should be just that and not diminish another. And EA don’t give me any **** excuse for this. There is absolutely no justification for this.

Definitely! A bonus trait etc should be just that and not diminish another. And EA don’t give me any **** excuse for this. There is absolutely no justification for this.

Allegedly, this was to "keep from creating OP'd builds"...but people have been complaining that the negative parts make zero sense since their inception. Like you said, they're bonuses and shouldn't contain drawbacks.
    I'd much rather have those to use without fear of making my player worse.
  • IceLion68
    1618 posts Member

This was my suggestion.

In another post or here? If so, that is unclear from what you wrote above. You suggested the ability to change your build at intermission or to compensate for a build mismatch against the other team.

The OP is suggesting running actual lines so that you have to change when you get fatigued etc.

These are NOT the same thing.

This was my suggestion.

In another post or here? If so, that is unclear from what you wrote above. You suggested the ability to change your build at intermission or to compensate for a build mismatch against the other team.

The OP is suggesting running actual lines so that you have to change when you get fatigued etc.

Obviously they’re not the same thing.

I was just suggesting something different and since it was semi related I decided to add it to this thread rather than create another.
  • IceLion68
    1618 posts Member

This was my suggestion.

Obviously they’re not the same thing.

I was just suggesting something different and since it was semi related I decided to add it to this thread rather than create another.

Then I am confused by the statement "This was my suggestion."?