NHL 22 Official Reveal Trailer

Replies

• EA_Aljo
    3229 posts EA Community Manager
    Follisimo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    MikeyAU630 wrote: »
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see. What would make 22 feel like a new game for you?

Roughly in the order of highest to lowest priority:

- Improved AI with new strategy options (they haven't changed in over 10 years now)
    - Make it more difficult to rag and easier to counter ragging
    - Cross-play
    - A new playoff format for club (the current format is terrible)
    - Allow drop-in games to be played in a normal indoor arena
    - Regular jerseys for drop-ins, rather than every player wearing different gear

I'm sure I could think of a bunch of others, but it's late...

Thanks for the feedback on this. Appreciate it.

I think we can let the NHL 21 Deep Dive go bye bye now from the Sticky land?

Done. Appreciate the heads up about that.
  • I was confused about the x factor edition. Is this available for ps4? Is there a disc version or only for download?
  • I wonder how it will look and play on the XBOX one
  • EA_Aljo
    Cranky1962 wrote: »
    I wonder how it will look and play on the XBOX one

Xbox One and PS4 are still going to have a big improvement in graphics. Not as much as Xbox Series S/X and PS5 though. As far as gameplay goes, there shouldn't be any differences between both generations of consoles.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Cranky1962 wrote: »
    I wonder how it will look and play on the XBOX one

Xbox One and PS4 are still going to have a big improvement in graphics. Not as much as Xbox Series S/X and PS5 though. As far as gameplay goes, there shouldn't be any differences between both generations of consoles.

Thank you - I was really wondering. But will be fun to see it with my own eyes.
  • Clappy tweeted, they brought back custom builds for 22! Not gonna gonna lie this is a huge plus for me! The preset builds were just getting stale imo.
  • 'gameplay soon'.

Some day between Monday - Thursday?

I guess some of us is going to play the 'beta' next weekend.

And after that - Im afraid NHL 21 will never be the same.
  • Why is Vasilevskyi going down on breakaway? Makes absolutely no sense
  • beer354 wrote: »
    Why is Vasilevskyi going down on breakaway? Makes absolutely no sense

~ 55 seconds in, Rantanen MacKinnon odd man rush?

Out of position? Guess Mackinnon goes hard on net.
  • beer354 wrote: »

Because it's a video showcase and in order to show off new things they set things up for the easiest chances then go over all of them and use the one that looks best.
  • kyl_35
    184 posts Member
    beer354 wrote: »

Lol, he’s not even close to the post the shot is being taken from too. Imagine if an NHL goalie sucked that much, let alone Vasilevskiy.

Pretty sure the dudes who decide goalie animations are a bunch of howdhedodats who just see a cool save by a goalie and then throw it in without any good context. Remember when they added the Price behind the back save and then it happen on every second shot that went high blocker?
  • Looks like a step forward (more realistic faces and ice) and 2 steps back (less realistic body movement, very box-y) and thats what I picked up despite all the cut and scene switching which I suspect was made to make it look better.

More offense fest displayed while little done to D (might just be trailer though). Seems like they finally gave better puck blocking animations and hopefully tools but almost pointless unless they totally rework their tripping penalty system where you can touch puck first and a player just charges on you and trips himself on purpose to get a penalty.

From what I hear, frosbite hasn't been well received anywhere and is hard to work with so for a small team already struggling and a game with TONS of bugs, its hard not to feel pretty pessimistic about this. I did not mention the goalie throwing himself backward for apparently no reason to do a weird one in a 20000shot save. As long as it remains for the most part unused it could lead to wow moments but history sort of taught us that they like to show them off so I expect to see it (and curse it) 10 times a game.

But nice shiny ice and Matthews mustache I guess.
    MdMc11 wrote: »
    Same game but with shiny ice!

There's been some pretty significant changes. We'll have more on those down the road though.

I truly doubt it. Not your fault tho

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. What would make 22 feel like a new game for you?

New game to me:
    Dump the skating engine.
    Go play NHL 10-12, start there. Add the necessary stuff (board play, etc.)

Goaltending reworked to be fun - Similar to NHL 10-12 - Not this soccer goaltending where the attacker has like 90% advantage over goalie on breakaway - but thats in big part due to poorly done offense)

Forward reworked to be fun but not broken fun - Similar to NHL 10-12 (good fun manual dekes, no skating abuse, less ballerina work) Less abuse of fast left right deke that render goaltenders obsolete and complement ballerina work, etc.

Defense reworked to be fun - similar to NHL 10-12 (specifically, nomore fighting vs skates, nomore trip fest when you touch puck first with poke and dive, better gap control to force passes as a result and less ballerina as a result)

AIs not better than real players in EASHL or even in dumb modes like eliminator. Penalize people for playing with AI, dont reward them. That makes having human Ds and Goalies more attractive and rewarding as well.

Bring back multiple dressing rooms in club. Allow people to have larger club and build a better community as well as allow for more frequent 6s games. Just put in restrictions that prevent spamming of games to lead leagues. (IE max 60 games a month count or whatever)

Make attributes matter more. Sacrificing wrist shot accuracy and power is usually irrelevant as you can still be accurate enough. In any be a pro modes, it would be nice to see more obvious difference between players. A bad passer misses a lot of passes a bad shooter misses the net a lot and shot are very noticeably slower. low puck control makes you lose the puck very easily when moving the stick, or turning fast etc. What's the point of roles and boosting stats when almost all builds feel very similar outside of speed and agility being always the top 2 stats since the others you can get around anyways.

Fix the darn bumps in the back making the puck fall between your legs behind you. The dumbest thing I have ever seen in hockey and its been there for years.

Make screening and deflections more relevant (again with attributes but also in game tweaks) as they should be.

Id say to figure the fatmanlag already and send people to affected regions to test but never happening so yah... (IE: ontario getting it when playing on Qc servers despite being 2 hour drive away and having a low ping all game)

The skating is probably the biggest issue with the game since 2015. Its terrible. I play hockey to play hockey, not to play skating simulation. An NHL player doesnt fight with his skates remotely close to how much you do in this game. The pivots and stop and go and so on are all terrible BUT they wouldnt be nearly as bad if fatmanlag wasnt an issue. As a Defense guy, you stand close to no chance at D with fatmanlag against the offense ballerinas that require you to have very precise skating. This never was that bad an issue before.

Oh yah, rework the one timer AI and the "missed shot" ai. When its obvious you arent getting the one timer due to deflection, botched pass or so on so forth, dont make the guy go in a long animation that freezes the skates (more skating issues) and give breakaways on plays a 3 year old would have recognized he no longer was going to one timer.

There's been some pretty significant changes. We'll have more on those down the road though.

If EA thinks that way then that’s the problem.

It doesn’t need to be a “new” game. It’s a good game as is but what needs to be the focus is making it better by fixing what’s wrong with it along with bringing back some of the things that made the game really enjoyable for a lot of players. Bringing back custom builds for EASHL is a start. Let’s see how they do it though.

I was just trying to get some feedback on what they thought would make 22 feel like it's a different game. No matter how much the game changes from year to year, we get complaints that it's the same as the previous year.

One thing that bugs me from limited view of gameplay is somehow erratic movement of players...maybe it's just me...hopefully it gets better.
  • FilipCroat wrote: »

If EA thinks that way then that’s the problem.

It doesn’t need to be a “new” game. It’s a good game as is but what needs to be the focus is making it better by fixing what’s wrong with it along with bringing back some of the things that made the game really enjoyable for a lot of players. Bringing back custom builds for EASHL is a start. Let’s see how they do it though.

I was just trying to get some feedback on what they thought would make 22 feel like it's a different game. No matter how much the game changes from year to year, we get complaints that it's the same as the previous year.

One thing that bugs me from limited view of gameplay is somehow erratic movement of players...maybe it's just me...hopefully it gets better.

I think you should play the game before jumping to conclusions.
  • Well, they havent fixed the abuse of LT so I guess we know the "META"
  • EA_Blueberry
    4836 posts EA Community Manager
    BassMan_PC wrote: »
    Visuals and presentation are nice, but where is cross-play? I understand splitting the last gen and current gen versions due to technical differences, but there is no excuse not to unite the PS and Xbox communities. Also, bringing the game to PC is long overdue and uniting PC with PS and Xbox as well.

Will the game still have terribly slow menus? What are the Quality of Life improvements?

The biggest issues with NHL are the small community and wasting time in the terrible menus. The user experience is poor even before stepping on the ice. So many people stopped playing NHL because they were sick of wasting time trying to find a match and dealing with the terrible menus.

Are you participating in the Closed Technical Test? If so, we'd like to get your feedback on the new menu navigation in the Closed Technical Test forums.

• BassMan_PC wrote: »
    Visuals and presentation are nice, but where is cross-play? I understand splitting the last gen and current gen versions due to technical differences, but there is no excuse not to unite the PS and Xbox communities. Also, bringing the game to PC is long overdue and uniting PC with PS and Xbox as well.

Will the game still have terribly slow menus? What are the Quality of Life improvements?

The biggest issues with NHL are the small community and wasting time in the terrible menus. The user experience is poor even before stepping on the ice. So many people stopped playing NHL because they were sick of wasting time trying to find a match and dealing with the terrible menus.

Are you participating in the Closed Technical Test? If so, we'd like to get your feedback on the new menu navigation in the Closed Technical Test forums.

May I comment briefly here on the menus?
  • EA_Aljo
    edited September 2021

Please post your feedback, even on the menus, in the closed tech test forums. Thanks!

Please post your feedback, even on the menus, in the closed tech test forums. Thanks!

Lots of us dont have access to the other forums.

So for the menus, the lag is still there. Thats to me the #1 issue with those menus, how they load forever between each clicks. It looked to be fixed in the video you guys published so im assuming its server side video and doesnt lag....you guys know the menus are ultra slow right ?