EA Forums - Banner

So, thoughts on the gameplay trailer?

Prev134
Kinda "meh" for me. Wasn't expecting a lot of actual game footage and I got what I expected. Some ok ideas and nice words but as always with this franchise I don't put much credence into the marketing and I'll reserve judgement until I actually see how they were implemented. Game at least looks better. Let's go with those tech test emails.

Replies

• Looks like the gameplay will pretty much be identical to NHL 21 aside from some new animations. I guess that's to be expected but at least I believe this is a good foundation for the rest of the generation since they didn't have to cut out any modes like NHL 15. They just really need to work on revamping the gameplay and AI going forward or I really don't care about any of this other stuff.
  • I put together some gifs of all of the actual gameplay video for those interested:

https://imgur.com/a/Fv4vtem

Overall I am super pumped about the new stick physics, presentation and that the game has an 'NHL 14' vibe to it.
  • I put together some gifs of all of the actual gameplay video for those interested:

Overall I am super pumped about the new stick physics, presentation and that the game has an 'NHL 14' vibe to it.

Thanks for the gifs Mr. Videographer.

Skating in those clips looks very similar.

I'm a bit worried about the 45 degree across the body snipe, I'm ok with it going in sometimes but I'm hoping its not automatic again this year.

Ability icons are non-intrusive enough for me.

Looking forward to trying to figure out how humans will decide to play this year and how abilities are unlocked and what combos can be effective.
  • Have to wait to play it, didn't really play last year, I kind of like NHL 20. Compared with how terrible NHL 15 was I think we are in a much better place, although the NHL series has fallen off quite a lot when compared to Xbox 360 generation. I know most Gamers are negative about everything anymore especially when it comes to sports games, but I don't want to be in that mindset personally. But it does bother me to see the NHL team still not do things the community has been constantly asking about (roster share, pc, gm connected, ect.). I also expect them to disappoint with licensing again (national teams, ncaa, ushl, Russia. ect). Will they ever add outdoor NHL games again? Gameplay should be ok, if you don't like how the game has played this gen, you're not going to like NHL 22 most likely.
  • Sega82mega
    4307 posts Member
    edited August 26
    Damn, I type down a long text in the same thread that was 'closed' so I lost my post.

So here we go again...

Things I liked:

How Nurse is able to find Draisaitl in the center of the ice - not so common pass in any previous games. More surface to take advantage of.

Slavin's defensive play vs Gallagher - falls back - then stop - and move up for a hit, circle around, to then pick up the puck.

Smooth transmission, things seem to happen in a manageable pace. But you can also notice the speed difference, dependent on how the play is moving.

Necas face-off win back to Slavin - that backskate and then look for a pass to start set up some offensive pressure. - this also happens in a good rhythm, I think it will be easier to set up in the o-zone, and I also think it will be easier to understand how and when you need to play defense.

The agility and the movement looks good.

The nets looks more like the real deal - like the most of it.

It looks better both in the graphical aspect and also in the gameplay - how the players seem to be and feel when you control them.

In my first post that disappear - I said I was hoping someone would record some footage from the actually gameplay - kid had already answer my pray...

It's just one thing I saw in the gameplay Trailer that wasen't in 'kids - put together'.(I found it - it starts with Stamkos clapper)

When Matthews comes at Batherson in ottawa - and #19 turns he's body really quick. That is good - you seem to be able to turn around your body really quick.

'information on the ice - I dont know, but I take it.'

Alot of things is so diffrent from how we are used to see it - I think this will feel like a completely new game.

Not just a patch.
  • As I said, I love how they created two separate videos with literally the same content that we saw last week. Stick on stick and stick on body physics looks promising. But graphics looks weird to me, I don't know why. Net animation is missing too.
  • Sega82mega
    4307 posts Member
    edited August 26
    Panarin goes low on the blocker side.

Nice tip - from a slapshot from the point.

Jones (blackhawks) intercept a cross creasing brat!

Rangers defender that seem to push to hard - end up tripping him. Comes in too late. (promising)
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    Kinda "meh" for me. Wasn't expecting a lot of actual game footage and I got what I expected. Some ok ideas and nice words but as always with this franchise I don't put much credence into the marketing and I'll reserve judgement until I actually see how they were implemented. Game at least looks better. Let's go with those tech test emails.

There is never going to be huge gameplay changes. The more alive stick though will be very interesting though.

My own thoughts on the trailer. They really upped their game on presentation which I know many people have asked about. Gameplay I think will be the best it has ever been but as always I need hands on experience to really give any true gameplay thoughts.

I did like the look of the actual game in play when they showed every so small clips of it.
  • Rozsos27 wrote: »
    Looks like the gameplay will pretty much be identical to NHL 21

What do you mean by that?
  • The new stick physics looked promising. What's not clear to me from the trailer though is if it's universal ( ie sticks won't clip through bodies at all ) or contextual to certain situations.

For example will plays like this still happen in NHL 22 or would the offensive player's stick need to actually go around the defender's body to get in position:

That 5th clip from the bottom - SJS - Ottawa, I thought I saw some type of action trying to disturb him, he didn't trip him, but I dont really know what the defender did - one-knee animation?.
  • Player eye tracking and stick physics could transform the game play in a huge way.

Defending can be more effective when in position as the attacking player's stick won't just "glitch" through the defender's body.

Also, I am really hoping players are unable to glitch their stick through the boards when protecting the puck. Being able to pull off backhand hook passes when the stick is through the boards has made me uninstall NHL 21.

Will be waiting to see what NHL 22 actually brings.
  • SturmWolfe wrote: »

Also, I am really hoping players are unable to glitch their stick through the boards when protecting the puck. Being able to pull off backhand hook passes when the stick is through the boards has made me uninstall NHL 21.

Will be waiting to see what NHL 22 actually brings.

Yeah the 'board situation' will be really interesting to see.

And also ofc the famous 'hook'.

Can you elaborate on the NHL 14 vibe part? I'm not picking up on what you mean by that.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1839 posts Member
    edited August 26
    I put together some gifs of all of the actual gameplay video for those interested:

Can you elaborate on the NHL 14 vibe part? I'm not picking up on what you mean by that.

I don't think we've seen such an improvement to the ice textures since '14 - where the accumulating snow actually gives the ice a different 3d texture whereas now it seems like it just gets a general shade to give off the impression of being used ice.

'22 looks to bring back a more textured , 'used' ice surface. Hopefully this translates to how the puck interacts with the ice as well.

The player movement also seems to resemble '14 in the sense there's some 'floating'. This is based on the very small clips we've seen, so I could be wrong. It also could be the control and animation relationship is 'tighter' which I would expect given the horsepower of the consoles combined with the new frostbite framework.

Won't be able to determine much until I get my dirty hands on it.

I don't think we've seen such an improvement to the ice textures since '14 - where the accumulating snow actually gives the ice a different 3d texture whereas now it seems like it just gets a general shade to give off the impression of being used ice.

'22 looks to bring back a more textured , 'used' ice surface. Hopefully this translates to how the puck interacts with the ice as well.

The player movement also seems to resemble '14 in the sense there's some 'floating'. This is based on the very small clips we've seen, so I could be wrong. It also could be the control and animation relationship is 'tighter' which I would expect given the horsepower of the consoles combined with the new frostbite framework.

Won't be able to determine much until I get my dirty hands on it.

Yeah there is a movement I dont really recognize from any previous 15-21...it looks diffrent, more 'loose-parts, arms, legs, body, more in sync, which gives the feeling that the players are moving more slow - but in more control.
  • I wonder how the fights will be - If people still can choose to "chick-out".
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    I wonder how the fights will be - If people still can choose to "chick-out".

I'd be using that feature if it was still in the game. I tend to shoot the puck after the whistle a lot and the CPU doesn't like it and they jump some of my stars, which is in my opinion is thuggish but hey it's the CPU they really have no respect for you.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    I wonder how the fights will be - If people still can choose to "chick-out".

Until they give me the option to turn fighting off as a guy then I'll continue to use a female knowing I won't get punished for doing a good hit that can result in a fight.
  • My biggest gripe is that the super up close graphics look great but the graphics from the gamers perspective (which is 95% of the game) just look off and not close to how players, player movement, the ice, stadium and lighting looks in real life. In fact after going and watching some videos it is almost like they took a step back and are shockingly comparable to NHL 2009 graphics (gamers perspective at least). The X-Factors are intriguing and can open up some interesting new possibilities when it comes to assembling your lines but I saw way too much similar movement of players and poor AI that makes me think we will still have the same experience and problems we currently have with gameplay.

Here is a screenshot comparison of 2009 being played by somebody on Youtube and from the 2022 trailer:

https://postimg.cc/CByn6tPj and https://postimg.cc/1gVNBPHm

You can't tell me you see a 12+ year graphical improvement. Little clearer, more definition on the ice but that is really about it. Very disappointed in that aspect and considering we haven't heard about any major upgrades/updates to franchise/HUT I am more than a little worried.