EA Forums - Banner

What I liked/disliked about the NHL 22 Gameplay reveal - in GIFS

2Next

Replies

• The only real way we'll know if we like the game is through the beta. The sizzle trailer are supposed to look good. Otherwise they might as well fire the marketing department.

The real test is when we get a chance to actually play and experience the game through the beta or release version.

Yes exactly that!

But seeing this dosent make me less tempt to try it 'on me'.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    The only real way we'll know if we like the game is through the beta. The sizzle trailer are supposed to look good. Otherwise they might as well fire the marketing department.

The real test is when we get a chance to actually play and experience the game through the beta or release version.

Exactly. The amount of takes they probably had to do to perform these things and make them look good probably was a bunch of takes.

Hopefully not too many... 😜
  • Dislike - Powerplay Movement still seems erratic

https://i.imgur.com/gcbQAvA.gif (link for mobile)

Van #9 backskating all the way to his pre-defined position despite the current context. This is a huge issue that's plagued the series for years now.

kgYN0Te.png

I'd like to see the player take note of the open ice combined with the defensive setup, in this case - only 3 defenders. This player should be moving closer to the play rather than further away.

Like- Improved Defensive AI Pickups in skates

https://i.imgur.com/hk4MLug.gif (link for mobile)

You can see Jones disrupt this play using his skates and I think this is a good indication as to the lengths EA has gone to mitigate the success rate of passes through traffic in the crease.

Like - Sticks will deflect off equipment rather than trigger a penalty

https://i.imgur.com/01Dabma.gif (link)

It's nice to see a poke check that would result in a penalty 100% of the time be improved via physics and not result in a penalty nor disrupt the puck carrier.

Like - New tripping animation!!

https://i.imgur.com/Tl58QHH.gif (link)
    #1 - I Agree there are a number of places he could have went instead. This shows me they didn’t really touch ai this year.
    #2 - I really like the fact they have some improved interceptions. It looks here like they are showcasing the quick pick X factor.
    #3 - I’m glad they have some new stick physics and love that we may be able to attack puck carriers from behind without always taking a penalty. Hopefully it adds some other realistic elements to the game as well.
    Just reading up on the X factors, I just hope there is a noticeable difference between when players have them activated and everybody else.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited August 2021

I also like how fast Trouba(?) is to change back to backskate - after he makes he's move (the poke) he just circle back and turn he's body into a backskate, again.

Looks to be in-control - not like 21, where it often feels like the players are totally off balance after a poke check like that.
  • Imagine if dump and chase work 70% better then how it is now....

There’s so many things I wanna try - that didn't felt exactly right in 21 but perhaps could be a diffrent story in 22.

I hope for a game thats exciting for both the winning and the losing side - and tight fun games..

.. Just like... *wait for it*..... Beta19... 😜
  • Dislike - Powerplay Movement still seems erratic

https://i.imgur.com/gcbQAvA.gif (link for mobile)

Van #9 backskating all the way to his pre-defined position despite the current context. This is a huge issue that's plagued the series for years now.

kgYN0Te.png

I'd like to see the player take note of the open ice combined with the defensive setup, in this case - only 3 defenders. This player should be moving closer to the play rather than further away.

Like- Improved Defensive AI Pickups in skates

https://i.imgur.com/hk4MLug.gif (link for mobile)

You can see Jones disrupt this play using his skates and I think this is a good indication as to the lengths EA has gone to mitigate the success rate of passes through traffic in the crease.

Like - Sticks will deflect off equipment rather than trigger a penalty

https://i.imgur.com/01Dabma.gif (link)

It's nice to see a poke check that would result in a penalty 100% of the time be improved via physics and not result in a penalty nor disrupt the puck carrier.

1- The new tripping animation looks like he just took Lee Harvey Oswald's bullet lol, very Marchand-esque flop(in all seriousness its nice to see a new animation).

2- My only concern with the pokes like that is if they will stay that way. I can almost guarantee there will be TONS of whining from poke spammers after the first week that "poke checking is broken"

3- I think that PP pre-determination isn't going anywhere, I think it's just a bit of code that reacts to the tee of it's description, with no variation.

• that dude on the PP...where is he goin man HAHA???...….like can he stay in the slot so I can dish em backdoor..? plz?? like the foot interception...I think I see this in my real games more than in this game so that will be good...everyone still look stiff...idk is just not smooth...madeen feels crisp
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    Follisimo wrote: »
    In the Blues vs Vancouver clips you can see there is 2 humans playing on the same team. Also there isn't anything wrong with it because it looks like an Umbrella formation.

I understand it's an umbrella, but the left point is doing the same-old-same-old A.I. technique of "get to your assigned position regardless of context as fast as possible"

Jzx5BjX.png

It's the right formation, but on a 5-on-3 he shouldn't be accelerating away from a prime scoring area.

It's why they are AI are programmed to just be in certain areas instead of reading and adapting like a human. If they truly played an umbrella I think human defenders would eat that alive.

Anyway I assume the AI has trouble doing umbrella and the other strats conflict

Well the umbrella is supposed to collapse, you’re supposed to pass the defense into fatigue/submission and collapse your structure so that you’re in a much better shooting position. Kid is right, wish that guy would keep his condensed position there. That’s exactly what you’re looking for.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4836 posts EA Community Manager
    Zkibu wrote: »
    Umbrella is a formation from the nineties. Can't believe that they still haven't updated it to 1-3-1 which is pretty much the only formation what teams are using since the last 10 years. Still, the left player from the back three needs to position himself much closer to the face off ring so he can actually be a threat against the shorthanded triangle.

Obviously we don't know yet if they have updated the strategies, but this does not look very promising. I was hopeful that they would implement the trendy 2-3 offensive zone formation where the third forward "sits" between the two defenders a la Bolts, Avs and Panthers. But maybe that was just fool's hope.

If you're asking about the 1-3-1 for a power play the team hasn't made any changes to setups for them this year.
  • Zkibu wrote: »
    Umbrella is a formation from the nineties. Can't believe that they still haven't updated it to 1-3-1 which is pretty much the only formation what teams are using since the last 10 years. Still, the left player from the back three needs to position himself much closer to the face off ring so he can actually be a threat against the shorthanded triangle.

Obviously we don't know yet if they have updated the strategies, but this does not look very promising. I was hopeful that they would implement the trendy 2-3 offensive zone formation where the third forward "sits" between the two defenders a la Bolts, Avs and Panthers. But maybe that was just fool's hope.

If you're asking about the 1-3-1 for a power play the team hasn't made any changes to setups for them this year.

Do you think the team will ever look into these strategies in the future? There's several missing still. The one's we have are old, and still useful. But having more strategies would allow for us to have varied attacks from one game to the next not just online but in offline modes as well.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4836 posts EA Community Manager

Do you think the team will ever look into these strategies in the future? There's several missing still. The one's we have are old, and still useful. But having more strategies would allow for us to have varied attacks from one game to the next not just online but in offline modes as well.

Never say never. For launch and timeline we are currently aware of for NHL 22 there won't be any changes though. It's one of those features I'm sure people have thrown the idea out there as it's not a bad idea, it all comes down to prioritizing what's more important to the community than others. I personally haven't seen anything vocalized around this outside of this post and where it may have been brought up in conversations. What I recommend doing it creating a detailed feedback post in our Answers HQ NHL 22 forums so we can start to gather requests there to forward along to the team.

If you can include video footage of where it's used in real life with your perspective on how it can benefit the game we'll pass that along for you.
  • Zkibu wrote: »

Never say never. For launch and timeline we are currently aware of for NHL 22 there won't be any changes though. It's one of those features I'm sure people have thrown the idea out there as it's not a bad idea, it all comes down to prioritizing what's more important to the community than others. I personally haven't seen anything vocalized around this outside of this post and where it may have been brought up in conversations. What I recommend doing it creating a detailed feedback post in our Answers HQ NHL 22 forums so we can start to gather requests there to forward along to the team.

If you can include video footage of where it's used in real life with your perspective on how it can benefit the game we'll pass that along for you.

I’d add to that forum but I don’t have access. The 1-3-1 has been universally ran for 5-6 straight seasons at least. Assuming the programmed positions are correct, the side board players would be a bit lower than a traditional umbrella and you’d get a bumper pass option in the middle which allows for a plethora of options for players who are good passers. This should increase passing and shooting options naturally which should allow for many scoring opportunities even if the defensive AI are all properly positioned. There’s no incentive in the current state of the PP’s available to generate 2-on-1 opportunities in the zone as your AI simply retreat to their assigned positions rather than taking advantage of the newly created space. The 1-3-1 is relatively static in nature so should help out with this bit a lot even if the AI’s spatial recognition stays at its current level.

If it does get added to the game, there should be set positions and you should be able to pick the side you wish to setup on. 1-3-1’s are not reversible, every player is in a specific spot for their variant to work so (1-3-1 right, 1-3-1 left would do).

Another “quick fix” would be to condense the current umbrella formation that’s in the game. Move all the top guy down, move the sides diagonally to the middle a bit and this would partially fix this issue. As you can see, when space is made, it’s not taken advantage of due to the default position. If that default position is closer and more centralized, you’ll have a much better functioning umbrella.
  • Zkibu
    44 posts Member
    edited September 2021

Yes, the powerplay system, not the neutral zone formation. May I ask why?

Edit. Nevermind you answered to other poster, but I am sort of getting the vibes that you and devs have no idea what I am talking about. I am sorry if that sounds disrespectful, but sorta frustrated with Overload (Gretzky-era) Shooting (just baffling 1 vs 2/4 in prime scoring area, never ever seen that one irl) and Umbrella ("modern")
    Post edited by Zkibu on