EA Forums - Banner

Goalie crease violation penalty

2Next

Replies

• EA_Aljo wrote: »
    kyl_35 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    NEWFIEEE wrote: »
    Defense has nothing to with the crease issue, when a puck is dumped into your zone and your AI goalie goes out to get and just skates into a trap violation penalty....

How often are you seeing this happen? I've experienced this a couple of times this year in HUT. Can't recall the last time I saw it in EASHL.

Happens semi-frequently in offline games with my AI opponent’s goalie. Maybe once every 50-100 PK dump-ins?

My goalie doesn’t tend to do it, but he stops the puck so damn close to the line that if I try to do anything with the puck he gets the violation penalty.

Thanks for those details. I don't play offline so maybe that's why I don't see it often. I do play a lot of Squad Battles games though and this is incredibly rare. Regardless, I'll pass your feedback on to the dev team. Even though it's infrequent, I definitely get the frustration with it.

Thanks! If it helps, it usually happens when I rim it down the ice from my own zone to the goalie’s forehand.
  • EA_Aljo
    3217 posts EA Community Manager
    Defense has nothing to with the crease issue, when a puck is dumped into your zone and your AI goalie goes out to get and just skates into a trap violation penalty....

How often are you seeing this happen? I've experienced this a couple of times this year in HUT. Can't recall the last time I saw it in EASHL.

Happens semi-frequently in offline games with my AI opponent’s goalie. Maybe once every 50-100 PK dump-ins?

My goalie doesn’t tend to do it, but he stops the puck so damn close to the line that if I try to do anything with the puck he gets the violation penalty.

Thanks for those details. I don't play offline so maybe that's why I don't see it often. I do play a lot of Squad Battles games though and this is incredibly rare. Regardless, I'll pass your feedback on to the dev team. Even though it's infrequent, I definitely get the frustration with it.

Thanks! If it helps, it usually happens when I rim it down the ice from my own zone to the goalie’s forehand.

Interesting. I'll have to watch out for this. I never actually paid attention to if they were receiving the puck on their forehand or backhand. Appreciate the additional input here.
  • I probably see it every few games or so offline as well, most of the time it’s my goalie when I’m on the pp and my opponent dumps it down the ice. @twhite1387 unless I am misunderstanding you, real goalies have awareness for the lines to be able to move the puck through the no zone without touching it, where the game doesn’t. It’s similar to when a defenceman stick handles the puck at the blue line causing an offside. Their abilities to actually get out and then play the puck are comparable to someone wearing pads for the second time too, so that’s something I’d like to see changed. I was hoping there would be an X factor for that this year that would allow some goalies better skating and puck handling skills.
  • NEWFIEEE wrote: »
    Why are you allowing the goalie to skate out the pick up the puck in a dump, and they don’t wait the puck to go behind the next and go into the no skate area and get a penalty. This has cost me several power plays, penalty and game losses?

Why are they still doing this?

EASHL should drop the trapezoid and use international ice. It is its own league, be different.

No international ice. No extra space for dipstick doodlers to dangle. 👍

NHL game. NHL rules.

That would be a fair point if we weren’t told every single year that we allow for EASHL to be this crazy spin to win fest with loads and loads of unrealistic plays and tuning because it’s “not real hockey” lol.

That being said, I’d rather them give us a more realistic tuner set while also giving us more time and space via international ice so that the community doesn’t complain too much when a realistic set makes them dump the puck and make simple plays. It’d be a good compromise.
    Why are you allowing the goalie to skate out the pick up the puck in a dump, and they don’t wait the puck to go behind the next and go into the no skate area and get a penalty. This has cost me several power plays, penalty and game losses?

EASHL should drop the trapezoid and use international ice. It is its own league, be different.

NHL game. NHL rules.

That would be a fair point if we weren’t told every single year that we allow for EASHL to be this crazy spin to win fest with loads and loads of unrealistic plays and tuning because it’s “not real hockey” lol.

That being said, I’d rather them give us a more realistic tuner set while also giving us more time and space via international ice so that the community doesn’t complain too much when a realistic set makes them dump the puck and make simple plays. It’d be a good compromise.

Huge NO from me on international ice. It would just give more space and time for the already advantaged forwards/offence.

With an extra 15ft width of the rink, zone entries would be a lot easier because players would have more space to go around defenders.

International ice would also result in the game being more of a puck possession game and especially in the offensive zone. Players would just dangle and doodle etc until they get a defender chasing them to make a mistake and then beat them one on one or make a simple pass to a teammate.

Also the physicality of the game would decrease because players would be less inclined to go for hits and especially along the boards knowing the opposing players have a lot more time and space to dodge them. This this would decrease the amount of players that use the larger and slower defensive builds.

Lastly think of how easier it would be to play keep away and puck rag with all that extra space. It’s already a problem now. More time and space would only make it worse!
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited September 21

NHL game. NHL rules.

Huge NO from me on international ice. It would just give more space and time for the already advantaged forwards/offence.

Just sayin here - but it would also give the defense more time and space to act.

Todays problem with NHL size is often that you end up in a blind alley - thats when people start to do 'crazy stuff'.

I dont want international ice - but I do want the NHL size to have a feeling that it's bigger - then how it feels now.

Speed eats up soo much ice. * correction, 'one direaction' north and South speed, eats up so much time and space.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

NHL game. NHL rules.

Just sayin here - but it would also give the defense more time and space to act.

Todays problem with NHL size is often that you end up in a blind alley - thats when people start to do 'crazy stuff'.

I dont want international ice - but I do want the NHL size to have a feeling that it's bigger - then how it feels now.

Speed eats up soo much ice. * correction, 'one direaction' north and South speed, eats up so much time and space.

I feel like it seems there is too much space as is. Forwards already have enough space to do as they wish. Obviously this series isn’t real NHL hockey but watch a real game and see how much less time and space the puck carrier has before a defender is all over him compared to this game. Then compare the puck possession and you’ll see players in this game are able to carry and hold onto the puck a lot more than real life NHL a players. That’s why in this game I think players are able to make plays a lot easier.

That’s one of the reasons why I feel the offensive side of the game has an advantage over the defensive side.

• Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited September 21
    Sega82mega wrote: »

NHL game. NHL rules.

I feel like it seems there is too much space as is.

I bealive forwards play more 'real hockey' then defenders.

If we talking 1vs1.

Defenders that just give up their spot infront of the crease to rush up against the blue line to break up D to D passes... That would just be crazy - IRL.

If forwards gets less time with the puck - then im afraid defense is going to be nothing more then frantic rushes against the puck carrier and hope to connect a poke check instead of a tripping. (more so - then it already is)

Would probebly produce even more frustration - from both sides.

But im just speculating here - hard to know for sure.

Hopefully 22 will bring some new 'strategy' to the game.

• untouchable_BF1
    1528 posts Member
    edited September 21

NHL game. NHL rules.

With an extra 15ft width of the rink, zone entries would be a lot easier because players would have more space to go around defenders.

International ice would also result in the game being more of a puck possession game and especially in the offensive zone. Players would just dangle and doodle etc until they get a defender chasing them to make a mistake and then beat them one on one or make a simple pass to a teammate.

Also the physicality of the game would decrease because players would be less inclined to go for hits and especially along the boards knowing the opposing players have a lot more time and space to dodge them. This this would decrease the amount of players that use the larger and slower defensive builds.

Lastly think of how easier it would be to play keep away and puck rag with all that extra space. It’s already a problem now. More time and space would only make it worse!

Half of my point revolves around realistic tuners so obviously international ice sounds bad. I would 100% advocate for it if it meant the tuners were made to be much more realistic. There’s too much time and space know because checking isn’t reliable, the skating is tuned to NHL Hitz, and you can whip passes from every angle at any speed with amazing success rates. Again, it’s a compromise. Make people actually play the game much more close to reality but give them extra time and space to allow for a more strategic, thought-provoking experience.

If we add realism on NHL ice, this community wouldn’t stop crying because you’d actually have to dump and chance and make safe plays. That doesn’t sounds very video game friendly which is what we’re always told is the reasoning behind 9-8 score fests with figure skating (it’s “fun”). Allow more time for creativity okay hole also having a much higher expectation when it comes to decision-making and execution of skills.

Half the reason we’re here today is because NHL 16-18 we’re the biggest trap-friendly games of EASHL we’ve ever seen, and adding realism to this game would lead to that again for different reasons, but same result. We’ve now over-corrected to air hockey and NHL Hitz, so a middle ground needs to be found.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited September 21

NHL game. NHL rules.

There’s too much time and space know because checking isn’t reliable

Exactly - a clean hit in it's right time - 👉before👈 people gets the time/chance to start gliding and make themselves immune.

Would be a 'realistic' way to get rid of alot of mumbo jumbo on the ice.

Thoose that glide and just try to avoid contact - is also thoose that create a terrible flow to the gameplay.

It has been several times I wish I just could have smack the opponent out of the arena with a hit - and a hit could probebly have 'saved' the gameplay - but instead I miss cause he manage to pull out some magic trick out of hes shirt - and then after that everything just feels awkward.

Puck and players needs to go more quick. But it's not a popular thing to pass the puck - more fun to go all alone, forth and back.
  • thebrazenhead75
    243 posts Member
    edited September 21

NHL game. NHL rules.

Half of my point revolves around realistic tuners so obviously international ice sounds bad. I would 100% advocate for it if it meant the tuners were made to be much more realistic. There’s too much time and space know because checking isn’t reliable, the skating is tuned to NHL Hitz, and you can whip passes from every angle at any speed with amazing success rates. Again, it’s a compromise. Make people actually play the game much more close to reality but give them extra time and space to allow for a more strategic, thought-provoking experience.

If we add realism on NHL ice, this community wouldn’t stop crying because you’d actually have to dump and chance and make safe plays. That doesn’t sounds very video game friendly which is what we’re always told is the reasoning behind 9-8 score fests with figure skating (it’s “fun”). Allow more time for creativity okay hole also having a much higher expectation when it comes to decision-making and execution of skills.

Half the reason we’re here today is because NHL 16-18 we’re the biggest trap-friendly games of EASHL we’ve ever seen, and adding realism to this game would lead to that again for different reasons, but same result. We’ve now over-corrected to air hockey and NHL Hitz, so a middle ground needs to be found.

I have no problem with a dump and chase game. It’s something I prefer rather than the forwards that think they can dangle the though 2-4 opposing defenders at the blue line but end up coughing the puck up for an odd man rush the other way. It’s still an NHL game so I only want NHL ice size.

Even as a RW and RD I play trap hockey. Let the other team make the mistakes (especially the forwards) so I can capitalize on them. I’d rather win 1-0 with no points rather than score 3 goals and 3 assists but lose 7-6.

NHL game. NHL rules.

The problem with the game IMO is the speed of play, not the size of the ice. The game needs to be slowed down - as they seemed to have done in 22- to allow for more realistic play on both sides of the puck.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »

NHL game. NHL rules.

The problem with the game IMO is the speed of play, not the size of the ice. The game needs to be slowed down - as they seemed to have done in 22- to allow for more realistic play on both sides of the puck.

Sounds encouraging.

• IceLion68 wrote: »

NHL game. NHL rules.

Sounds encouraging.

Ya myself and others noticed a difference. It is a good change IMO
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • untouchable_BF1
    1528 posts Member
    edited September 29

NHL game. NHL rules.

I have no problem with a dump and chase game. It’s something I prefer rather than the forwards that think they can dangle the though 2-4 opposing defenders at the blue line but end up coughing the puck up for an odd man rush the other way. It’s still an NHL game so I only want NHL ice size.

Even as a RW and RD I play trap hockey. Let the other team make the mistakes (especially the forwards) so I can capitalize on them. I’d rather win 1-0 with no points rather than score 3 goals and 3 assists but lose 7-6.

I like real hockey as much as the next guy, but I’m trying to offer a realistic solution for online play. We’re not going to get a meta that revolves around making safe plays 95% of the time, that’s just not going to be a marketable esport which is clearly the direction of the game (although they seem hesitant to just go all-in on it for some reason). EA has made the distinction between the EASHL and the NHL very clear so I don’t think there’s any reason for the EASHL to be married to the NHL-sized rink. They’ve never marketed the EASHL as the NHL nor have they ever strives to reach a “realistic” tuner set because that wouldn’t be fun on the ice and I partially agree with that.

The thing with international ice is that it you still end up playing the trap but there’s more opportunities and space to break it. It doesn’t fundamentally change defense but it does offer more opportunities for zone entries which is really where “realistic” video game hockey starts to approach the “boring” zone if all you can do is dump the puck or consistently LT twirl to draw trips and hope the physics engine fails when you smash your face against the glass with the puck to bounce off at an angle that beats the defender somehow.

I’m all for offensive accountability, it would certainly make the game a lot more balanced, but with balance comes a compromise for the sake of skill being allowed to show itself, marketability, playability, and watchability.

If we had custom sliders and settings for online play, I’m sure a league of people like you and I would exist where we can play on an NHL sheet with sliders that force you to play a much more realistic version of hockey, but I think we’re in the minority here. For general online play, there’s gotta be a better middle ground.
    IceLion68 wrote: »

NHL game. NHL rules.

This too. Game speed has been noticeably fast, like to a ridiculous level these last few iterations. Slow the game down and actually force human goalies to move (also allow them to move…shuffles are not that slow lol) force humans to make much better passing decisions, allow for DSS to be a much more usable feature (eliminate auto pokes in all honesty) and then have body contact actually work and you’ll start seeing a much more real life feel to the flow of the game.

These LT pivots with sauce passes as a deke are getting pretty hard to watch lol. I’d rather see teams that really move the puck well in tight spaces have success than 10 guys LT-ing 95% of the game. Quick passes, area passes, having actual chemistry with your line mates rather than running the same 3-4 high percentage plays due to the tuner sets being insufficient at allowing the defenders to properly stop a play they all know is coming is what we should be striving for.

You know what happens when a team is predictable in rocket league? They fail, ball is cleared, they don’t score, they don’t randomly have success. That’s the not the case in NHL at the highest level. I’d bet most goals the defenders could see coming 3-5 seconds before and the fight against the game lead to the goal more than play recognition which is not a good feeling nor a good place for an “esport” game. Why is it still so hard to trigger an auto intercept around the crease? Why is moving something that prevents auto interceptions but taking auto one-timers can happen with zero timing and body position is only leniently penalized? Why are human goalies getting beat via pucks going through their gloves still?

It’s hard to do this “twitch skill but also attributes thing” approach to EASHL imo, because if you’re not forcing users to make difficult decisions with their classes, than this game is nothing more than a twitch skill game. But then you see twitch skill not being enough due to the under the hood interception levels or the tuner values or the attributes levels and it really just leads to an experience where you can’t make sense of why you failed or succeeded which again is not good for esports.

I play strictly offline now because both approaches (offline and on) to this game don’t give me a consistent and engaging approach to the sport, but at least I can customize my offline experience. You gotta go full esport or full sim online. The middle just doesn’t work imo.