EA Forums - Banner

If EA NHL 22 still supports puck ragging.

Replies

• belair_col wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    The problem with puck raggers in the game is that there isn't anything you can do about it

If you ask me - thats not true.

Yes it's - really - annoying. I mean, really annoying. It's sooo cheap - to be such a coward, in a video game, disgusting.

But you can do something about it - but it takes skill and alot of patience and time, to deal with them.

But of course - there's better puck raggers and there's rookie raggers.

The better they are - the harder it gets.

And yeah - my success rate has alot to do with how I work the ice with the one guy I can control, and how good my AI catch up and give me enough support so that I can switch to a better option when I feel it's the right time to do so.

It's possible that EA can program the game to be more in favour to the one player that try to play more hockey - but it can't be that easy for the game to 'recognize' a ragger and therefore make it impossible for him to succed to keep the puck to himself.

Same time - If the forecheck gets to easy - there's a good chance defense will no longer make any difference - everyone will just forecheck the living hell out of the game. (like we already do, plenty enough)

I would like to feel that a solid defense - eventually will lead the puck ragger into a trap.

I shouldnt have to risk too much by playing against an opponent that's clearly not interesting of attacking, unless I go full forecheck.

It's a tricky question.

But remember - don't hate the game - hate the 'ragger'... 😜

The 'game' can address this by making light bumps and body position more of a prominent and successful defensive tactic.

Yeah but light bumps is already in the game - so the big question is - when light bumps should be successful and when it not should be successful.

I get the difficulties to have this type of tools/mechanics adjusted to exactly right balance in proportion to the gamepace/flow.

Im on that opinion that the puck ragging would be so much harder to succed with if the top speed wasen't so easy to maneuver.

Puck control and passes should have more failure innit - the more speed you push for.

And to have "body position more of a prominent and successful defensive tactic." is something I wish for too.

Improvements for that will happen to 22.

I actually think that the 1vs1 hockey will be pretty good.
  • belair_col wrote: »

Ragging is supported by the game's puck mechanics though and it's already heavily in favor of the puck carrier. It also impacts the result of net front puck battles where the forwards generally win 50/50 battles simply because the user is likely spamming his right thumb stick.

The 'game' can address this by making light bumps and body position more of a prominent and successful defensive tactic.

As an aside, even more annoying for me is how the AI relies on their microanimations and 'luck' to possess the puck and win similar puck battles.

To be concise, it's difficult to not hate the game. It's their flawed mechanics that allow these things to be abused.

I agree with this.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    belair_col wrote: »
    The problem with puck raggers in the game is that there isn't anything you can do about it

Yes it's - really - annoying. I mean, really annoying. It's sooo cheap - to be such a coward, in a video game, disgusting.

But you can do something about it - but it takes skill and alot of patience and time, to deal with them.

And yeah - my success rate has alot to do with how I work the ice with the one guy I can control, and how good my AI catch up and give me enough support so that I can switch to a better option when I feel it's the right time to do so.

It's possible that EA can program the game to be more in favour to the one player that try to play more hockey - but it can't be that easy for the game to 'recognize' a ragger and therefore make it impossible for him to succed to keep the puck to himself.

Same time - If the forecheck gets to easy - there's a good chance defense will no longer make any difference - everyone will just forecheck the living hell out of the game. (like we already do, plenty enough)

I would like to feel that a solid defense - eventually will lead the puck ragger into a trap.

I shouldnt have to risk too much by playing against an opponent that's clearly not interesting of attacking, unless I go full forecheck.

It's a tricky question.

Yeah but light bumps is already in the game - so the big question is - when light bumps should be successful and when it not should be successful.

I get the difficulties to have this type of tools/mechanics adjusted to exactly right balance in proportion to the gamepace/flow.

Im on that opinion that the puck ragging would be so much harder to succed with if the top speed wasen't so easy to maneuver.

Puck control and passes should have more failure innit - the more speed you push for.

And to have "body position more of a prominent and successful defensive tactic." is something I wish for too.

I think if they reduced acceleration to a realistic level it would be much harder to rag

It's a tricky question.

I think if they reduced acceleration to a realistic level it would be much harder to rag

Yeah exactly - something that makes it easier to catch players that just doing their best to avoid contact.

It's a tricky question.

Yeah exactly - something that makes it easier to catch players that just doing their best to avoid contact.

It should be an easy fix for them. Make the player with the puck less agile and less speedy than players without it. Make fatigue a REAL thing in the game. It should take a player more energy to play keep-away with the puck than it should somebody defending them. It's not exactly rocket science. It's common sense.

Now repeat after me EA:
    "I will program fatigue into new hockey games now and forever"
    Keep repeating until it happens. No recess for you until it does. You can even take the computer home with you.

It's a tricky question.

It should be an easy fix for them. Make the player with the puck less agile and less speedy than players without it. Make fatigue a REAL thing in the game. It should take a player more energy to play keep-away with the puck than it should somebody defending them. It's not exactly rocket science. It's common sense.

Now repeat after me EA:
    Keep repeating until it happens. No recess for you until it does. You can even take the computer home with you.

We used to do 1 on 1 drills of playing keep away back in my college days. We would start behind the goal line and have to work to the blueline. The player would be like 3 ft away. It isn't hard to keep a puck away from a defender and unless that attacking player on the puck carrier is bigger and more physical most times the puck carrier made it over the line. Fatigue goes both ways and it's the player doing the minimal of things that would retain their energy over someone chasing wasting their energy. FIFA tried something with stamina and losing control of the ball for no reason to try and prevent ball ragging but it proved to be a failure also. People just found a new way to play keep away if they wanted. When CPUs are involved it's always gonna be the same result. It's a reason teams don't go around chasing the puck when short-handed in their defensive zone. You tire yourself out and put yourself out of position.

Puck ragging is such a minor occurrence in games that looking for a solution to a mode that has 1 human on each side determining outcomes isn't gonna happen. I'm willing to bet that not even 1% of games having a ragging problem.
  • Follisimo wrote: »

It's a tricky question.

Now repeat after me EA:

We used to do 1 on 1 drills of playing keep away back in my college days. We would start behind the goal line and have to work to the blueline. The player would be like 3 ft away. It isn't hard to keep a puck away from a defender and unless that attacking player on the puck carrier is bigger and more physical most times the puck carrier made it over the line. Fatigue goes both ways and it's the player doing the minimal of things that would retain their energy over someone chasing wasting their energy. FIFA tried something with stamina and losing control of the ball for no reason to try and prevent ball ragging but it proved to be a failure also. People just found a new way to play keep away if they wanted. When CPUs are involved it's always gonna be the same result. It's a reason teams don't go around chasing the puck when short-handed in their defensive zone. You tire yourself out and put yourself out of position.

Puck ragging is such a minor occurrence in games that looking for a solution to a mode that has 1 human on each side determining outcomes isn't gonna happen. I'm willing to bet that not even 1% of games having a ragging problem.

Yeah to be honest - I barley run into ragging.

I think alot of players would like to rag against me - but it seems hard for them to get it going.

But im aware of the problem - and it do happen occasional, that I meet up with a 'really good ragger'.

Which ofc was really boring and annoying.

But the 'non skill' action of succeeding with the cross crease - was way more 'annoying' for me then ragging - probebly because 'questionable cross creases' was so much more common part of the game/and or easier to execute then to rag successful.
  • RSall14
    612 posts Member
    edited September 16
    EA just needs to start banning accounts with video evidence. People dropping thousands on HUT aren't going to risk it. They just don't want to put the effort in.
  • RSall14 wrote: »
    EA just needs to start banning accounts with video evidence. People dropping thousands on HUT aren't going to risk it. They just don't want to put the effort in.

Ban people who puck rag? That's a bit extreme isnt it?

I think the real life delay of game penalty is suffice enough...EA really needs to make sure that's one that's called.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    RSall14 wrote: »

I much rather beat them - and tell them - 'shame on you!'.

I prefer a fair fight - instead of playing a ragger. But I must say - it's a good feeling - letting this players pay the price, and beat them - with a classic game of old time hockey.

'who's laughing now?'..... 🙄😁
  • RSall14
    612 posts Member
    edited September 17
    IceLion68 wrote: »

It is but they're never going to do anything about it gameplay wise. I don't care anymore as I stopped playing 1v1 modes a long time ago. If EA doesn't want it in the game, it's easier to suspend or ban due to it being griefing. I don't see any way they implement a system that doesn't completely destroy another aspect of the game. They couldn't even tune L2 without it messing with vision control.

It is but they're never going to do anything about it gameplay wise. I don't care anymore as I stopped playing 1v1 modes a long time ago. If EA doesn't want it in the game, it's easier to suspend or ban due to it being griefing. I don't see any way they implement a system that doesn't completely destroy another aspect of the game. They couldn't even tune L2 without it messing with vision control.

I would rather them just implement a delay of game penalty or something. Banning someone for something this inane is too draconian IMO.

I would rather them just implement a delay of game penalty or something. Banning someone for something this inane is too draconian IMO.

If you have any clue how to rag the puck, you'd never get that penalty though because every could of seconds you pas back and forth. It's so easy to play keep away because the AI are so braindead.

I have stopped playing 1v1 now due to raggers. It seems like every 10 games maybe you have to deal with that at least I have, might be a little less than that but it's still too high. You rag and get reported, you get a warning. Happens again and the ban hammer should come out.

There is a real life Delay of Game Penalty for failing to forward the puck for more than a minute, EA just needs to actually write it into the game. I've only ever seen it called twice in my life, but it's there

If you have any clue how to rag the puck, you'd never get that penalty though because every could of seconds you pas back and forth. It's so easy to play keep away because the AI are so braindead.

I have stopped playing 1v1 now due to raggers. It seems like every 10 games maybe you have to deal with that at least I have, might be a little less than that but it's still too high. You rag and get reported, you get a warning. Happens again and the ban hammer should come out.

Puck has to move out from behind the net within a minute...and the "timer" doesnt reset with quick passes, either. IRL the officials would recognize what you're doing and call it. Tampa or Philly I believe is the most recent team(about 7 or 8 years ago) to have been called for this.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited September 17
    It's easy to fall victim for people that like to delay and rag.

If you play - like 95% does - namely, with full puck focus - and always run forward against the puck. It's much easier to play 'keep away' hockey.

I often see the same type of behavior right after the first face-off - I win the puck back to one of my D - the opponent comes flying against me as the puck carrier, right away.

Then I directly know - what type of game Im in for.

Instead of focusing on offens - especially when you don't got the puck - try to fall back and protect dangerous areas on the ice for the opponent to pass the puck to - that way you minimize your opponent's time with the puck carrier.

This time of the year - it's perfect to play the game in a totally diffrent way then you are use to do.. It' amaze me that people still only seem to care/focus about the score. 1 month before a new realese that probebly are going to invite a couple of diffrent ways to play this game. So now is a good time to adjust to something new.

Go online, play 1vs1 one - focus on defense instead of scoring. And the gameplay can swap into something diffrent from what you are use to.

The key to chase down a ragger - is not to chase the living hell out of your own players - it's to invite them to think- it's a good idea to attack, and to do that - you cant be so aggressive.

Glide up from the back of them - force them to face your defenders. Search for angles from their sides, to put pressure, not in a straight line.

And don't be afraid to let up a goal. That's how I think - it's way better to give a ragger a goal - then to let them posses the puck in their own zone.

Show them your not too afraid to loose or to give up surface on ice - and - don't - just chase after them blindly in frustration. That's when they easily succed, with their evil (chicken) plan.
  • twhite1387 wrote: »

Puck has to move out from behind the net within a minute...and the "timer" doesnt reset with quick passes, either. IRL the officials would recognize what you're doing and call it. Tampa or Philly I believe is the most recent team(about 7 or 8 years ago) to have been called for this.

In real life yes, this is far far far from real life. It would be very difficult to code that the refs blow a whistle and penalize a team for doing it. There needs to be something done about it but no one knows how to fix it which I'm sure makes it a lot harder on EA to come up with a fix, if they even care.
  • RSall14
    612 posts Member
    edited September 17

That would be pretty hard as you'd have to code in every possible scenario. It would have to be done perfectly as to not give out bogus pens.

Implement scenario for:

-getting poked and hit
    -losing possession off a hard pass
    -losing possession off the boards

That's just off the the top of my head, now how does the timer for the delay of game pen reset? It can't be based on possession as you can easily exploit that. Let's say it's based off of being in your zone, what if you're getting pressured aggressively and have to regroup or you get poked and retreat further into your zone? Way too much stuff they have to get right and I don't see it happening with these devs.
    Post edited by RSall14 on
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited September 19
    Is there any really difference between ragging the puck deep down in your own zone or up in the offensive zone?

I think we need to separate some concept here.

Creating a momentum of separation between you and your opponent - must be okey - to do that, you will have to move the puck up and down, side to side, a couple of times - some people would probebly call this way to play, ragging - I dont... but your mindset must always be to attack, as soon as you get an open line - you attack.

According to my book of rule - thats just being smart, and creative.

The other type of player.

The one where I dont make no difference if it's deep down in the opponent's own zone or all the way up in the offensive zone - where the ragging takes place - is the kinda rag I dont like to have in the game.

Players that dosent want to create separation - instead they twist awkward passes-almost behind their own back - to create some sort of 'backward inside-out flow' and at the same time make themselves immune to any type of physical contact.

And they have no plan to give up the puck, unless you give them a reeeeally good reason to do that.

This what makes it hard - thoose that can manipulate the A.I - so that the A.I is no real threat anymore, but, you can still control him, with your player infront of the net, you know he is waiting for that area to open, and he knows you got him under control.

But that's just as long as you don't push up against the puck carrier - then you know that one timer pass will come.

I have played games were really good 'offensive zone-puck raggers' have had a crazy amount of ToA. (not kidding - 13-15 min) and perhaps only 5 or 6 shots on goal.
    I know how to play defense against them - but still it's really hard to posses the puck from them.

I think there need to be more separation on the ice - so it's easier to use speed to your own advantage - both when playing defense and offens.

It's when the gameplay gets static, and there's no separation between the players on ice - alot of people start to use that to there advantage by gliding away from threats - and the speed eventually gets so dry out that no bump in the world will break loose the puck.

I hope for 22 that big hits will be more common - against people that refuse to let go of the puck, that could free up alot of frustration, to playing against this rag type of hockey.

The chel test where promising, in that area, to give out some pretty impressive hits.

Time will tell - If 22 will be another year where people will be manage to hide behind some sort of mechanics flaws - or if it will be the year where forwards will have to keep their heads-up. Or pass the puck. Instead of gliding away from the action.