EA Forums - Banner

What is going on EA? Arcade hockey is back

Replies

• Lynch-CAN wrote: »
    Lynch-CAN wrote: »
    joefitz22 wrote: »
    Adjust the sliders that's what I did and I love it.

This doesn't help for people who play online.

Play offline. That is how the game is intended to be played.

Online gaming is garbage.

It's NOT the 1980s or 90s anymore. The World is connected via the Internet (ie ONLINE)

I guess Im an old relic that enjoys not having playing issues and lag.

Don't millennials have friends they can invite over instead of complaining about their online experience?

I dont have a problem with lag usually, and I'm not inviting people over every time I want to play a game, you are apart of a very small group of people who play offline, I find the gameplay boring and unrewarding. It's not fun crushing AI every game for me, maybe just old relics like you still enjoy it.

You need to set AI to the hardest setting. It can get quite challenging.

On the hardest setting it just feels like the AI scores whenever they want though, I have no doubt it's challenging, I just don't find it fun to play an AI with pinpoint passing and accuracy. I'd rather play EASHL to be honest, it gives the most realistic hockey experience in the game in my opinion, and that's just more fun to me.

That's what the sliders are for, if it's doing that reduce the cpu shot accuracy, cpu pass accuracy etc. to make the game exactly how you want it.

• Archibald3 wrote: »

It's NOT the 1980s or 90s anymore. The World is connected via the Internet (ie ONLINE)

Don't millennials have friends they can invite over instead of complaining about their online experience?

I dont have a problem with lag usually, and I'm not inviting people over every time I want to play a game, you are apart of a very small group of people who play offline, I find the gameplay boring and unrewarding. It's not fun crushing AI every game for me, maybe just old relics like you still enjoy it.

On the hardest setting it just feels like the AI scores whenever they want though, I have no doubt it's challenging, I just don't find it fun to play an AI with pinpoint passing and accuracy. I'd rather play EASHL to be honest, it gives the most realistic hockey experience in the game in my opinion, and that's just more fun to me.

That's what the sliders are for, if it's doing that reduce the cpu shot accuracy, cpu pass accuracy etc. to make the game exactly how you want it.

I guess so, you're right. But I still stand by the rest of what I said. Playing the AI can never be as fun as EASHL to me. Have you tried it? I don't know how anyone would want to play anything else.
    Archibald3 wrote: »

I guess so, you're right. But I still stand by the rest of what I said. Playing the AI can never be as fun as EASHL to me. Have you tried it? I don't know how anyone would want to play anything else.

I prefer authentic teams with authentic players.

Offline season mode is the most realistic hockey experience IMO

you are apart of a very small group of people who play offline

And yet here he is, on an online forum.
  • Some of you guys ...I swear SMH.

ONE YEAR: Stick lift too strong! Passing broken! Too hard to score! Puck pick up sucks

EA fixes after lots whining

Next year: oh stick lift broken! Too Arcady ! Too easy to score!

Which way do you want it?

17 is not perfect. I'll admit. But dude it's way more fun than 15 or 16.
  • best game to date.............arcade ? give me a break
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • Lol at ppl talking about sliders as if they're an actual solution to the issues we have. I'll say it bluntly... playing against the AI is a mindless act that should only be done when one has no other options. When you play against the AI (offline) you are playing literally the same game/opponent over and over again. There is no personality to your opponent, no change in tendencies.. For this reason I don't understand how anyone could be an offline only player. I get that it happens but I just don't get how it's fun.

The best part about playing actual humans online is that you have to figure out how they play and learn how to counter their tendencies. Playing against the AI over and over is a joke. They do the same **** every time and will react literally the same exact way EVERY TIME depending on which part of the ice you steer the to.

• Guys a lot of what you view as "turners totally changed the game from the Beta" is incorrect.

Remember the BETA was small group of players with limited access to the game playing the game for a short time. Every year the game gets released to the world and then the masses can get their hands on it with unlimited time and resources and find what tricks work the best.

It's not EA totally changing the game, the turner updates have been fairly minimal, it's much more about people being able to find what holes their are and exploit them.

Truth be told, as some who plays primarily D on his EASHL team this years game is much better then the last 2 years versions. Poke check is an effective tool this year and doesn't lead to a tripping call all the time. body contact, even without "checking" a player will at least slow a guy down or make him change direction and can knock him off the puck even. Passes are much more often intercepted and don't magically go through my player as often as last year, same goes for shot blocking. Shots are getting through 4 players and going bar down.

It's certainly not perfect, stick lift needs a tune and I still ask the DEV team to add defensive skill stick every year but the balance between offense and defense this year, while as always favoring offense, is a much closer balance then in years past.
    Do, or do not, there is no try
  • joefitz22 wrote: »

"Hey Matt, wanna come over and play head to head?"

"What? Why would I want to walk over to your house when we can just play head to head online?"

"I'm lonely...."

"Get an online girlfriend then"
  • SirPsychoT wrote: »
    unlimited time and resources and find what tricks work the best.

this ^^^^^
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has seen a change in game play..every time would say that to ea on twitter they would say that nothing has changed but it's plain to see that those ten hours to now there is a big difference
  • I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has seen a change in game play..every time would say that to ea on twitter they would say that nothing has changed but it's plain to see that those ten hours to now there is a big difference

The 10 hours of early access -> full release felt the same to me, the beta however felt way more toned down and slow if you will, BUT I attribute this to the amount of time I've dumped into 17 so far. Psycho was correct, people just learn the tricks after a period of time and it always ends up making people feel like its time to blame EA.
    GT - T0o HxC 4u
    TN - HOCKEYTOWN
  • Is the game more arcade or less arcade this year? Well, there's no question that the game's not perfect. However, some of the decisions for online play have to be addressed. Notably the slider settings for online play which a user from Operation Sports found to be quite... perplexing. Here's part of the thread:
    FIDDY wrote:
    Just compared these for my online gaming sanity lol.

I know all online game modes use preset 3 (competitive). If you compare it to preset 4 (full sim) there is honestly not much of a difference.

Below are the ones that stand out between the two sets and explain 100% why people get frustrated online.

Skating Speed/Acceleration Sliders
    preset 3 - 65/65
    preset 4 - 50/50

Skating Impact
    preset 3 - 0/0
    preset 4 - 45/45

Board Effect Puck Carrier
    preset 3 - 0/0
    preset 4 - 50/50

Here is the full thread: http://www.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2048443201&postcount=1

The biggest questions are WHY are the Skating Impact and Board Effect Puck Carrier sliders AT ZERO for online competitive play??? Shouldn't they be at something like 20 or 25?? Putting them at ZERO is likely the reason idiots can just dance around with the puck all day and slam into the boards without any penalty. Why is this like this?

Discuss...
  • I think we are talking about several different things here. The probelm wasn't just "people learning the exploits", that i accept. The problem was some kind of adjustment to the online sliders that changed the feel quite radically from a slowish, fairly realistic hockey sim, to a significantly faster, less fatigue influenced free-for-all. It wasn't just between the beta and now either - it was quite a change from the 10 hour pre-release.

My friends and i know the sliders well, and are intimately fairly familiar with how you can change the "feel" of the on-ice skating through changes to the speed, acceleration, and fatigue settings. The problem is when you unleash those sliders it becomes less like what the casuals would call "skating in mud", and more like we would sim players would call arcadey. They usually start with a pretty good sim, then at some point renege on that and give the casuals what they want, which is easy passing, shot accuracy and exaggerated speed and puck control.

Right, The day I "discovered" EASHL I think I said to myself "welp, looks like this is all I'm going to play ever again"

Pretty much this.. This game is a complete disaster online. Either the game it's self doesn't work properly (lag) or you get kids who just dangle 24/7 and EA tends to cater to them.. It's not worth thee frustration to play online.

The offline modes can take up a lot of your time.
  • Santini3 wrote: »
    Lol at ppl talking about sliders as if they're an actual solution to the issues we have. I'll say it bluntly... playing against the AI is a mindless act that should only be done when one has no other options. When you play against the AI (offline) you are playing literally the same game/opponent over and over again. There is no personality to your opponent, no change in tendencies.. For this reason I don't understand how anyone could be an offline only player. I get that it happens but I just don't get how it's fun.

The best part about playing actual humans online is that you have to figure out how they play and learn how to counter their tendencies. Playing against the AI over and over is a joke. They do the same **** every time and will react literally the same exact way EVERY TIME depending on which part of the ice you steer the to.

Yeah, except online becomes the same thing over and over again within a month or so as everyone sees the exploits. It looks like this year it's going to be holding the stick behind you to either be invincible (at the right speed) or to draw a penalty to get to the pp for a cross crease. There really is no 'mental' component either way. You'll see all you're going to see within 10-20 hours depending on how fast you learn.
  • Did they really change the game that much already with tuners?
    Volunteer EA Forums Senior Moderator
    Xbox Live - The Snake Esq

Right, The day I "discovered" EASHL I think I said to myself "welp, looks like this is all I'm going to play ever again"

Exactly what happened to me, I found the mode by accident back when it was online team play, haven't played a thing since.
  • Everything is good about the gameplay except for the overpowering puck control. When you get matched against someone online that exploits it, it ruins the experience. I think the EA NHL team thinks that it will entice me to buy more HUT packs to make my team better but instead it makes me want to just not play.