Making the transition from NHL 16 to NHL 17

Basic & Advanced Controls

Basic Competitive Tips

How to Save Cross Creases

How to Save Breakaways

Replies

• jonlolol
    151 posts Game Changer
    Also, been noticing a lot lately (as in previous years) that if your feet are SET once a shot comes your goalie has a bit more reach. A lot less snipes.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Yes, this is true. But it's hardly ideal when attempting to keep your angles against shooter coming cross crease who shoots against the grain.

Even making slight adjustments seem to send your goalie way out of position when the shot is released. So we end up out of position (slightly) which results in a goal, but their weaving back and forth and releasing a wild shot on their off foot is accurate enough to hit the inside of the corner of the net on a backhand...

Right.
  • jonlolol
    151 posts Game Changer
    Yes see this video as exactly what you're talking about. It's good to discuss this stuff.

http://www.leaguegaming.com/forums/index.php?leaguegaming/media&action=display&mediaid=1722748

• jonlolol
    151 posts Game Changer
    Yes see this video as exactly what you're talking about. It's good to discuss this stuff.

http://www.leaguegaming.com/forums/index.php?leaguegaming/media&action=display&mediaid=1722748

It goes in because of a mec
  • jonlolol
    151 posts Game Changer
    Yes see this video is exactly what you're talking about. It's good to discuss this stuff.

leaguegaming.com/forums/index.php?leaguegaming/media&action=display&mediaid=1722748
  • jonlolol
    151 posts Game Changer
    Yes see this video is exactly what you're talking about. It's good to discuss this stuff.

leaguegaming.com/forums/index.php?leaguegaming/media&action=display&mediaid=1722748
  • jonlolol
    151 posts Game Changer
    @VeNOM2099 long past due but my post finally escaped the spam filter^

Next, I'll be making a video on deflections (again) to help with some of the deflections that happen from further away (these are going in 90% of the time fivehole lol)
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Yes, but those types of situation, I kind of accept. As a real goalie, it's tough to stop shots that get deflected. All we can really do is get in the way and hope it hits us. Though to be honest I had great reflexes back in my prime and I could sometimes make miraculous saves on deflections, but those were rare.

The problem I have with deflections are things like this:

http://xboxclips.com/VeNOM2O99/7c9766c2-1ab9-44d0-bd3c-1c5361f81fd8

That's a ridiculously hard shot that gets deflected PERFECTLY towards the net even though the player isn't even looking at the puck, much less have his skates SET to make such a deflection... These "fly-by" deflections that are accurately redirected into the net are THE real problem, not the goalies.

As for your video, if you go frame by frame, you were actually in position to make the save when he releases the shot, but then in the next frames you see the goalie scoot over an extra step which causes the save animation to whiff. I know Ben said that the goalies were adjusted in the final version to make less desperation type saves (as they were in the BETA) and make more reactionary saves. Your goalie did make a reactionary save, but he's still behaving like he wants to get in position to make a glove save so he "scoots" over a bit to put you in the correct position for the long glove save animation.

In the BETA that would've been a save.
  • jonlolol
    151 posts Game Changer
    Yeah jesus that's one of the worst deflections I've seen. I've seen bad ones on point shots before but that one was next level hahahah.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Yes, but those types of situation, I kind of accept. As a real goalie, it's tough to stop shots that get deflected. All we can really do is get in the way and hope it hits us. Though to be honest I had great reflexes back in my prime and I could sometimes make miraculous saves on deflections, but those were rare.

The problem I have with deflections are things like this:

http://xboxclips.com/VeNOM2O99/7c9766c2-1ab9-44d0-bd3c-1c5361f81fd8

That's a ridiculously hard shot that gets deflected PERFECTLY towards the net even though the player isn't even looking at the puck, much less have his skates SET to make such a deflection... These "fly-by" deflections that are accurately redirected into the net are THE real problem, not the goalies.

As for your video, if you go frame by frame, you were actually in position to make the save when he releases the shot, but then in the next frames you see the goalie scoot over an extra step which causes the save animation to whiff. I know Ben said that the goalies were adjusted in the final version to make less desperation type saves (as they were in the BETA) and make more reactionary saves. Your goalie did make a reactionary save, but he's still behaving like he wants to get in position to make a glove save so he "scoots" over a bit to put you in the correct position for the long glove save animation.

In the BETA that would've been a save.

I said this during the 16 beta. Every single deflection is on net. Not a single one will go wide or high. So unless you're sticking right up close to the player deflecting the puck, the puck will pretty much go in net.

Funny how last year there were tons of responses about having to 'glide' to shoot, pass and even receive a pass, yet shots get deflected by anyone passing by the net, regardless of attributes and/or body positioning and always on target.
  • jonlolol
    151 posts Game Changer
    Deflections are ridiculous sometimes I agree. I just think that at the same time they provide teams with an alternate playstyle to counter puck possession teams.

Have you guys tried going in to paddle down when you know a shot is coming and going to be deflected?

(Just providing a tool to deal with them as the way they are)
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Haven't tried that yet. But I'm afraid to use the paddle-down function any more than I have to. It still gets you stuck into that stupid paddle-down shuffle thing I showed you.

Right now I'm just coming out as far as possible to make myself into a bigger target and hope the puck hits me.
  • jonlolol wrote: »
    Deflections are ridiculous sometimes I agree. I just think that at the same time they provide teams with an alternate playstyle to counter puck possession teams.

Have you guys tried going in to paddle down when you know a shot is coming and going to be deflected?

(Just providing a tool to deal with them as the way they are)

ok everyone...paddle down every time there is going to be shot from the point bc EA wont fix ridiculous OP deflections (which requires no skill or input as a forward, big surprise)...only for the puck to hit a body and an opposing forward to pick it up and snipe top shelf while u look like a **** paddling down. balanced game.
  • Calm down, buddy... Jon was simply asking if anyone had ever tried to paddle down when you sense that the opponent might be setting up for a deflection.

No need to get upset at him for that.
  • Rofl, that deflection. What was that a slap pass from the RD? Dumbest thing i've ever seen. Or greatest deflection of all time.
  • Deflections are tough, its a guessing game. i try and position myself square to the shooter and deflector at the same time. positioning a little further back in the net.
    Paddle down would leave blocker wide open. just use butterfly, when the shot looks like it will be deflected.