EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

True Performance Skating

Prev13456717
Well, it's a shame that the old TPS thread I created is gone forever. I hate that my first thread I'm making is another complaint thread because there are a few positive changes that have been made to the game. But none of them outweigh the issues I STILL have with TPS. The lack of fidelity you have while skating (particularly on defense. This is where these issues stand out the most) makes the game more frustrating than fun a lot of the time. Especially once you start playing the game against experienced forwards. The lack of any kind of rotational control you have over your player is still awful. Vision control still isn't as useful as it should be, and can hurt you at times to the point where its safest to use it only to backskate while defending a rush and then if a cycle or any kind of puck movement in the defensive zone occurs, to abandon the L2 button. The developers need to figure out a way to give us the control back as far as where and how we can rotate our players.

Also, I maintain that EA needs to consult some professional respected skating coaches to help with efficiency in the skating engine. Mostly on starts, stops and transitions. There are times where your player is making a type of movement with his hips/feet/legs that doesn't use your speed correctly in a given situation. For example, having to make a large exaggerated stop to change direction while moving at an extremely slow speed. Low speed maneuvers are severely lacking in this game, and it makes playing defense nowhere near as fun as it was prior to TPS being introduced. I've already heard people who play as forwards tell me that they don't realize how much this skating engine hurts you until they play defense where you're constantly changing speed, direction, body orientation etc.

Precision skating is still completely useless and it's very easy to engage these movements by accident if you're slowly gliding and want to incrementally change body position.

Also, the agility of the puck carrier, and the speed of which they can stick handle, in the hands of experienced players really shows how little control the defense has at containing players. Even if they fix the stick lift so that it's not useless, I feel this is still going to be a problem as far as balancing. To get a little off topic, defensive skill stick needs to become a thing so that users can manually aim poke checks. And again if someone doesn't want to take control of that, EA can allow them to use a setting so the game can do it for them.

We've discussed many different ways to fix these problems in the old thread. Whether it's another button modifier for facing the puck, as well as other options. If these changes where to be made to skating I would implore the developers to allow those people who may think skating is fine to refrain from using the changes they may add via the controls settings. The same way that I suggested that EA give us the sliders for pass assistance online (which is fantastic to see that they've done, and it works, so those of us who feel like the game was taking control away from us, can take it back, and also maybe humble some people who think they're better passers than they really are, and make them want to get better)

Replies

• I 100% agree with this as I also made a TPS thread last year. It absolutely must go if this series is going to ever get back to what it once was. It's time for something new. The skating engine MUST be the focus of NHL 18.
  • I'd like a response from a Dev on the skating, I don't know if we will get one though, possible just a patch to slightly change it and enable the stick lift.
  • I really like the skating. You guys trying to bring zero physics floating back into the game?
  • Well I guess I read the original post, and to say defense has gone backwards, is very short sighted. This game is the best for playing defense. I havent played defense since 09, because your defense-men actually responds to your inputs. If your having trouble with the skating engine, maybes its time to practice working on your pivots and your inputs to make it more fluent.
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • Lmao I think making a new thread on a new forum was a mistake because this thread is already filled with people who never read the old one and just misinterpret ❤️❤️❤️❤️, and obviously people who don't play D like Cogs.
  • Lmao I think making a new thread on a new forum was a mistake because this thread is already filled with people who never read the old one and just misinterpret ❤️❤️❤️❤️, and obviously people who don't play D like Cogs.

Checking this forum now that the game is out. You're completely right about the skating, but wasting your time here. Our team didn't get the game this year, sounds like there weren't really many changes from the beta (which was just NHL 16.1). Most people that would agree with you have moved on at this point, I only keep an eye on NHL news to see if they will ever decide the mistake that TPS was.

No, you aren't wasting your time. They are just trolling you but the good players know the skating is a disaster. Hell, I know it is because I thrive off of exploiting it. A lot of the people saying it's fine don't play 1v1 modes, and they play wing in OTP games and dangle until they turn it over anyways so they don't even know what we're talking about. Keep fighting the good fight.

• Ummm I play club HUT and Vs and considering I have yet to meet anyone else who has played hockey at a serious level. The forum many complain, the skating is at the best level it's been along with poke checking and puck contro.

You can now play amazing defense, shut down the other team and transition into a amazing rush!

Yes tweaks can be made here and there but the skating engine is a very solid feature! Maybe programming different skating styles is a way to make it more accepting for all. But to say the skating engines is broken is kinda short sighted!

Let see some videos then also ?
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    Ummm I play club HUT and Vs and considering I have yet to meet anyone else who has played hockey at a serious level. The forum many complain, the skating is at the best level it's been along with poke checking and puck contro.

You can now play amazing defense, shut down the other team and transition into a amazing rush!

Yes tweaks can be made here and there but the skating engine is a very solid feature! Maybe programming different skating styles is a way to make it more accepting for all. But to say the skating engines is broken is kinda short sighted!

Where the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ have you been? The old TPS thread had tons of video examples of how real life skating looks and the differences in real life skating and the skating in this game. This is the only reason I had to debate if I should even make this thread again is because now people like you come in here and request that the 1000 posts many of which included pictures, videos and suggestions in the other thread be re-explained so you can catch up.
  • CrushNHL wrote: »
    Lmao I think making a new thread on a new forum was a mistake because this thread is already filled with people who never read the old one and just misinterpret ❤️❤️❤️❤️, and obviously people who don't play D like Cogs.

No, you aren't wasting your time. They are just trolling you but the good players know the skating is a disaster. Hell, I know it is because I thrive off of exploiting it. A lot of the people saying it's fine don't play 1v1 modes, and they play wing in OTP games and dangle until they turn it over anyways so they don't even know what we're talking about. Keep fighting the good fight.

Yeah man, playing forward doesn't give people a sense of how or why the skating should be changed at all. The changes I want would make playing forward better as far as efficient puck movement and being in a position to protect it while cycling in the offensive zone, as well as being in position for redirects, but it's mainly defense which highlights what the skating lacks as far as facing the puck, precise rotational control, lateral movement, and speed adjustments. Throw in efficient stopping and starting movements as well.
  • colon just ignore cogs he's been disrupting threads here since day 1. i agree 100% that TPS was a colossal failure and needs to be scrapped. i am a believer that they didn't actually do much to implement it, besides changing the length of the skate blades under the hood. that would explain why our guys turn like sailboats even when you're gliding.
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    Ummm I play club HUT and Vs and considering I have yet to meet anyone else who has played hockey at a serious level. The forum many complain, the skating is at the best level it's been along with poke checking and puck contro.

Anyone who can't or doesn't know how to exploit the living s**t out of TPS by now is either really, really bad (likely the case), or they just don't want their exploits to go away.

Gonna need some vids of your all-star career on the ice bud
  • colon just ignore cogs he's been disrupting threads here since day 1. i agree 100% that TPS was a colossal failure and needs to be scrapped. i am a believer that they didn't actually do much to implement it, besides changing the length of the skate blades under the hood. that would explain why our guys turn like sailboats even when you're gliding.

I know that they're switching to a new engine for next year's game so idk what that's going to mean as far as development. Hopefully that's when they can sit down and reevaluate what the skating engine will be. I know Ben was here and read through all of the old thread and I had private discussions with him via PM about the way skating works. And I hate to say it but if the skating doesn't give us significant more control and consistency with rotational movement at the very least, then I'll be passing on the game. This issues that were brought up by Ben or possibly other developers seemed to have somewhat easily solvable problems. And like I said if guys like Cogs don't want to use a button to track the puck as it moves, and if he enjoys using a broken Precision Skating mechanic, then let them keep it how it is via the custom control settings.
  • Yea TPS definitely is far from polished. Lateral movement is pure garbage when you don't have the puck. Pretty much any movement is less solid without the puck than when you do have the puck.

Not to mention, goalies move like garbage trucks on skates. The goalie position is so far form complete that it isn't even funny. There was a video that demonstrated new goalie motion capturing and yet the position plays 95% the same as 16.... Serious waste of time IMO as they clearly did not use all that to their advantage. Small team, small budget, bla bla bla but full blown triple A price...

Sorry to say, EA's vision of hockey is severely broken and they are clearly torn between realism and giving forwards a distinct advantage in the game. No clear heading as to where this game is going. Quite concerned at this point and severely doubt any serious changes will be made even by NHL 21.
  • I'd really just love if they took the time to develop vision control so that it functions properly and consistently. Even if it required a second modifier where L2 is backskate and L1 is vision control. Vision control should simply be a button that will rotate your skater to face the puck, and allow you to skate in relation to it. Precision skating needs to be completely redone so that lateral movements become more fluid and so that we can do them in transition instead which is what vision control is for. This change would greatly improve how the game is played on the defensive side of the puck.

Also somehow low speed skating needs to be better. The stops and starts need to be more efficient, and low speed turning without the puck could be buffed a little bit as well.
  • phil7488
    77 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    This x1000. Defensive skating remains abysmal. You can't pivot properly and square up. Whenever I force turnovers and gain possession quick, you can't pivot or turn your body quick enough to take proper action with the puck. Also trying to maneuver at the point in the offensive zone is a joke. It's like skating in mud.
  • It's really time for this series to go in a new direction with the skating. We all know it's a severely unrealistic bad joke.
  • I'd really just love if they took the time to develop vision control so that it functions properly and consistently. Even if it required a second modifier where L2 is backskate and L1 is vision control. Vision control should simply be a button that will rotate your skater to face the puck, and allow you to skate in relation to it. Precision skating needs to be completely redone so that lateral movements become more fluid and so that we can do them in transition instead which is what vision control is for. This change would greatly improve how the game is played on the defensive side of the puck.

Also somehow low speed skating needs to be better. The stops and starts need to be more efficient, and low speed turning without the puck could be buffed a little bit as well.

SO what makes you think EA hasnt calibrated the skating speed, pivots, acceleration etc to really life speed ?

As for the lateral movements, I think I remember EA saying, this is a very tough mechanic to deal with from a controller stand point.

But at the same time, lets give EA some credit, this game has improved the lateral movements and controller inputs together to make this game more responsive when adjusting front to back and side to side especially on the defensive side.
  • Totally agree, this is another great write-up of the issues with skating. I will say that 17's skating is better than 16's, but it still isn't where it needs to be. I'd say more but its already been said a thousand times. Thanks for making the thread again ColonScoper.
  • I have to say the skating IMO is actually quite improved this year.