EA Forums - Banner

True Performance Skating

Replies

• Santini3 wrote: »
    eric57664 wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Santini3 wrote: »
    eric57664 wrote: »

Here's a video showing offensively why TPS is garbage. The quick lateral movement of the player with the puck starting at about 0:40 and onward is what I'm talking about. The speed at which he can move, the high agility, the fluidity.

To do anything similar to this in NHL 17, you have to have the puck while not moving, hold L1 and then you can make sort of similar lateral movements. But if you actually go into a game, or practice and try this, you'll notice the LACK of agility, fluidity, ability to transition back and forth, speed, control etc. And when you try and move to your skaters weak side (left side for a right handed shooter) you'll only initiate a t push. And with that t push you'll notice how little agility you have and how you cannot quickly efficiently transition out of that t-push into other low speed high agility movements. The side steps or shuffles you see in the very beginning of the video are more efficient to move quickly with high agility. A t push would be more useful for a player without the puck who doesn't need to move in a hurry and has time to get there and could be pressure sensitive on the **** as I believe it was prior to TPS. For instance a defenseman at the point could want to t-push from the center of the zone, towards the boards for a pass back to the point while on the powerplay, but doesn't necessarily need to get there immediately.

Forwards should have this ability in their skating arsenal all while facing the top of the crease to generate scoring chances and to get the defense to over commit. And defense should be able to mirror these exact movements without the puck all while maintaining squareness to the puck. Again in a FLUID, QUICK, PRECISE, RESPONSIVE MANNER WITH HIGH AGILITY AND CONTROL WITHOUT TAPPING THE **** ALL OVER THE PLACE. The ability to quickly change your mind and transition into a forward, backskate, or laterally in the opposite direction. These are lower to low-medium speed movements that right now you literally cannot accomplish with the current skating engine. These movements should take no thinking or skill to perform with a game controller. You should just be able to hold vision control and track the puck while being able to perform these movements and maintaining squareness to the puck. The only thing I can compare it to is the "jockeying" feature in FIFA, but in NHL the only function it would serve is to maintain squareness, and give you the ability to move laterally. It wouldn't move for you, or maintain your gap for you. That would be left up to the person holding the controller.

In the end of this video you'll notice that it says the demonstrations are being made by PEEWEE and ATOM players. Not NHLers.

With 10 players on the ice (of course excluding goalies) no player would ever be doing this as there is real space on the ice to utilize such movement. What you can do with precision skating is exactly why you want here but more used like how real hockey is played.

Can you stop showing "practice" Allen iverson and please show in game footage of actual gameplay? Because I could just as much show the tv show "stars on ice" and ask why can't I do some twirls? The game to me needs to resemble hockey, not what you can do on skates in practice with nobody else on the ice and with no puck.

Can you take anything more out of context, please?

I just wish I could do tug o war there in that vid in NHL 18. New feature ea. Add it.

But some doosh will talk about skating when he's a goalie. (Let's call him....well doosh, still, because he knows who he is....huehuehuehue!!)

I've been following your posts in this thread for the past couple of pages and one thing sticks out to me in your responses to legitimate videos posted: you can't recognize how hockey skating drills relate to in-game scenarios. Your mind can't comprehend the fact that all of the skating elements shown in these training videos are executed countless times from game to game in short bursts. Furthermore, this illustrates your lack of experience in going through these drills yourself and HAVING to translate them to real live-game scenarios to be an effective hockey player. I'm sure you get the gist of what I'm saying, right?

The farce that is precision skating is clearly illustrated by the fact that nobody (and I mean nobody) uses it during online games. It's simply not smooth enough to transition in and out of. Fact: trying to enter "precision skating" leaves your player EXTREMELY vulnerable and leaves you almost zero time to do anything once you get into it.

0% of top players in any game mode use precision skating effectively. That says a lot about the feature, no?

Calm down, he is clearly showing your more then capable of doing skating techniques in game. And practice scenarios dont reflect real game play. Yes they are the building blocks for skating but when it comes to this game your more then capable, to do the required movements to follow the play/

Ya exactly. He doesn't seem to understand that. It's like he never pulled on a pair of skates. Building blocks to skating, but not directly to hockey playing. And he said I can't fathom that? The guy is funny.

It's just another who reads half of the thread and responds to it. "Very smart."

I would have responded to him directly but when he said "I've been follwing your posts for the past couple of pages", you can see a half glass kind of empty type of person here.

Some advice @Santini3, please read everything before responding, and when it comes to not comprehending, it's clear you don't get what I meant. Should I put it down in laments terms for you? So do you get the gist of what I'm saying?

Next time try not to come off as a condescending little **** and join the conversation like a mature person.

Shameful.

Lol what a horrible response. You clearly stated that the maneuvers being shown in those real life drills would never happen in an actual hockey game "with 10 skaters on the ice." Remember now? I was simply responding to that. And what I said is absolutely true. All of the maneuvers you learn and practice to become a better skater are used to varying degrees throughout the course of a game.

This is a fact. And you were disputing it. Also, I fail to see why I have to read an entire thread in order to be able to respond to a single ridiculous post by an ignorant user.

Because things got rectified in its meaning that were taken out of context which then makes you look like a goof. If you're not going to add anything constructive in the thread, move on and troll another forum. You seem to be a little bit bored and want to pick a fight instead of being productive. Again, goof.
  • Everyone arguing simulation vs arcade. Realism vs randomness, etc...

Wouldn't it be safe to say that what we all want is logic and consistency? In a sense, I wouldn't care if the game was arcade or simulation as long as things were consistent and logical.

Passing through a puck carrier's stick: logical conclusion, he loses the puck.

Poke check and puck goes straight to another attacker's stick: not logical. Does not fit in arcade or simulation. Just feels predetermined and trash.

Every single shot deflection is on net: Not logical in the least.

Holding puck protect gives an agility boost and harder to knock the puck off a stick: Not logical as defense has no way to compensate unless timing is perfect for a stick lift or poke check. As it is, it's mostly just a tripping call magnet.

There are tons of examples we could all use, but safe to say, I would assume if things were logical and consistent, the player base would be alot happier.

Random broken sticks are the kind of realism that is not needed. Should be offline only and a choice to leave it on or off in the options screen. Injuries from shot blocking is also way too random and illogical. Sometimes players block slap shots with their faces without injury.
    The fact alot of players bobble passes that seem relatively easy to catch but defenders can easily block a slap shot clearing attempt simply by holding their stick out waist high. Just illogical.

Also need to fix low speed movement, especially on defense.

Wouldn't it be safe to say that what we all want is logic and consistency? In a sense, I wouldn't care if the game was arcade or simulation as long as things were consistent and logical.

Poke check and puck goes straight to another attacker's stick: not logical. Does not fit in arcade or simulation. Just feels predetermined and trash.

Holding puck protect gives an agility boost and harder to knock the puck off a stick: Not logical as defense has no way to compensate unless timing is perfect for a stick lift or poke check. As it is, it's mostly just a tripping call magnet.

There are tons of examples we could all use, but safe to say, I would assume if things were logical and consistent, the player base would be alot happier.

Random broken sticks are the kind of realism that is not needed. Should be offline only and a choice to leave it on or off in the options screen. Injuries from shot blocking is also way too random and illogical. Sometimes players block slap shots with their faces without injury.
    The fact alot of players bobble passes that seem relatively easy to catch but defenders can easily block a slap shot clearing attempt simply by holding their stick out waist high. Just illogical.

Agree with EVERY. SINGLE. WORD.

Agree with EVERY. SINGLE. WORD.

Me too!

• I think there is actually lot to like in TPS NHL13/17 skating engine.

But I do miss these "explossive" stop-start kinds of animations in NHL series.
    2KHS-sticks_8.jpg

And all the subtle slow speed skating/movement aswell.

• Snipecity98XB1
    299 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Everyone arguing simulation vs arcade. Realism vs randomness, etc...

Yes I 1,000% agree with everything here. Whether it's simulation or arcade, I just want it to be consistent and logical. I've seen people trying to justify pucks going through sticks in EASHL due to player builds etc, that's absolutely absurd. Whether a player is 5'0 120 lbs or 6'5 265 lbs, whether they're a puck moving dman or an enforcer dman, a puck should NEVER go through a stick. Random sticks breaking is so ridiculous it tells me this game IS predetermined and it's clearly the game trying to give the other team an edge. Same with AI manipulation. Every game in club, one team has amazing bots, the other team is plagued with awful bots. It's honestly just a giant mess right now.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    What they should do is stick some sensors on real life (NHL or ot) players' gear, choose a couple of different types of players to get good variation, and then record their movements during the game. Then cross check the data with video footage to actually see how the players skate, handle the puck, and HOW LONG does it take to do each in reality. Some things in NHL17 like puck pickups take far too long, and some way too little like getting up from the ice after a big hit.

They could also add more sensors on a single player to actually see what the human body is capable of etc., because in this game the players do all sort of stuff they should not be able to do in real life, or would not do because it's silly.

You know, use the sensor data to something useful rather than modelling graphic player models. Maybe they're already doing this to some things like the goalies, but they should do more for the other players. Some things that go in this game are just ridiculously unrealistic.