EA Forums - Banner

True Performance Skating

Replies

• Youratv wrote: »
    Then present it lamens terms because that's the way i interpret what your saying. If I'm wrong about it then so be it.

Everyone here seems to understand it except you...

And Cogs

Oh he understands, and he knows exactly what he's doing. Thinking I might have found the first person to add to my ignore list.
    Then present it lamens terms because that's the way i interpret what your saying. If I'm wrong about it then so be it.

I truly don't then so how bout attempting to explain it to me in a way you think i would understand it better because if your advocating for or against it, it has to be something the majority of players can easily understand so they can also come to a conclusion.
    Youratv wrote: »

I truly don't then so how bout attempting to explain it to me in a way you think i would understand it better because if your advocating for or against it, it has to be something the majority of players can easily understand so they can also come to a conclusion.

It's already been explained in a simple way. If you have questions feel free to ask them.
  • Youratv
    260 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    From what i read you want rotational control to face or stride toward the puck or another player for a defender to compensate for the way the puck handler on offense can skate. Stick lift is kinda busted i agree but i was told by a very competent player you can stick lift tie up by holding the button, I've never tried it myself though. The reason i said i feel it would be in favor of offense is because as defense you have to make a decision as far as when to be static in a lot of situations and offense player's can just keep moving . You also reference an old thread in which you discuss fixes and i was not part of it. Today is my first visit ever to the nhl forums,(you can usually find me on battlelog, battlefields forum which is also ea) i only came on in an attempt to lobby for the return of club practice mode. That's how i am interpreting what you wrote on the first page.
    Post edited by Youratv on
  • To put it as simply as I can, skating forwards with medium/high speeds works pretty well, and gives you an appropriate amount of agility to do turns and such. When skating backwards at any speed, forwards slowly, or stopped, it feels like your player has 25 pound bags on his feet, and is not nearly as agile as he should be. Skating in one direction while facing another while you don't have the puck is also difficult.
  • My suggestion is to create a gap and remember the size of that gap between you the defender and a forward. That gap will allow you to compensate for the lack of intial momentum and also allow you to create a small burst of momentum if you decide to become aggressive and close the gap. And as always use the other d man. You are not seperate entities, you are a defensive pair. You have to give each other the ability to cross skate. Don't section yourself off to one part of the ice because of the names left and right.
    From what i read you want rotational control to face or stride toward the puck or another player for a defender to compensate for the way the puck handler on offense can skate. Stick lift is kinda busted i agree but i was told by a very competent player you can stick lift tie up by holding the button, I've never tried it myself though. The reason i said i feel it would be in favor of offense is because as defense you have to make a decision as far as when to be static in a lot of situations and offense player's can just keep moving . You also reference an old thread in which you discuss fixes and i was not part of it. Today is my first visit ever to the nhl forums,(you can usually find me on battlelog, battlefields forum which is also ea) i only came on in an attempt to lobby for the return of club pratice mode. That's how i am interpreting what you wrote on the first page.

It's not exactly compensating though. It's how real defenders play defense. It's just allowing you to perform the way a real defender can. Yes, the offensive player can keep moving, and currently if you stop moving as a defenseman it can be a death sentence, because you don't have the ability to move laterally, you have to fully commit to the direction you want to skate which plays into the hands of the forward. Because whatever direction you commit to, they can cut back the other way. If you could stay square and move laterally via t-pushes, side steps, crossovers etc you could contain this forward and it would make his job a little harder. Adding this to the game in no way shape or form would make playing defense harder. I do think vision control should work while you have the puck too though. Where when you use it while in possession of the puck, you will look at somewhere near the top of the goal crease and be able to skate and move laterally in relationship to it. Before anyone chimes in, yes I know that forwards may want to skate laterally while looking at let's say the blue line, but you have to compromise and I think focusing on the net is good enough. It's better than nothing at all.

And Cogs

Oh he understands, and he knows exactly what he's doing. Thinking I might have found the first person to add to my ignore list.

Yes because ignoring someone who wants to have constructive conversation but doesn't agree, should be ignored!

I guess you should ignore EA also then!

You must unlearn what you have learned!
    From what i read you want rotational control to face or stride toward the puck or another player for a defender to compensate for the way the puck handler on offense can skate. Stick lift is kinda busted i agree but i was told by a very competent player you can stick lift tie up by holding the button, I've never tried it myself though. The reason i said i feel it would be in favor of offense is because as defense you have to make a decision as far as when to be static in a lot of situations and offense player's can just keep moving . You also reference an old thread in which you discuss fixes and i was not part of it. Today is my first visit ever to the nhl forums,(you can usually find me on battlelog, battlefields forum which is also ea) i only came on in an attempt to lobby for the return of club pratice mode. That's how i am interpreting what you wrote on the first page.

It's not exactly compensating though. It's how real defenders play defense. It's just allowing you to perform the way a real defender can. Yes, the offensive player can keep moving, and currently if you stop moving as a defenseman it can be a death sentence, because you don't have the ability to move laterally, you have to fully commit to the direction you want to skate which plays into the hands of the forward. Because whatever direction you commit to, they can cut back the other way. If you could stay square and move laterally via t-pushes, side steps, crossovers etc you could contain this forward and it would make his job a little harder. Adding this to the game in no way shape or form would make playing defense harder. I do think vision control should work while you have the puck too though. Where when you use it while in possession of the puck, you will look at somewhere near the top of the goal crease and be able to skate and move laterally in relationship to it. Before anyone chimes in, yes I know that forwards may want to skate laterally while looking at let's say the blue line, but you have to compromise and I think focusing on the net is good enough. It's better than nothing at all.

Another issue I have is that forwards have all kinds of animations and dekes to break away from a defender, yet there are 0 comparisons for when you don't have the puck. The game is clearly made and targeted for offense, period. I am 99% certain EA could fix all of this with relative ease and tuning, but we all know they won't. Stellar D and exceptional goaltending does not sell copies or HUT packs.

There are issues that are YEARS in the making. Know what? I don't even call them issues anymore. It is just the way they want the game to be played. Johnny McDanglesfordays needs his 4 highlight real goals every single game or he simply will not buy the game anymore. The game is just trash unless you are an absolute full-time forward and even then, there are huge **** moments, but it is alot less frustrating.

Another issue I have is that forwards have all kinds of animations and dekes to break away from a defender, yet there are 0 comparisons for when you don't have the puck. The game is clearly made and targeted for offense, period. I am 99% certain EA could fix all of this with relative ease and tuning, but we all know they won't. Stellar D and exceptional goaltending does not sell copies or HUT packs.

There are issues that are YEARS in the making. Know what? I don't even call them issues anymore. It is just the way they want the game to be played. Johnny McDanglesfordays needs his 4 highlight real goals every single game or he simply will not buy the game anymore. The game is just trash unless you are an absolute full-time forward and even then, there are huge **** moments, but it is alot less frustrating.

You can see that in the new dekes. They firstly made deking more simple and easier for no reason, and it's now even harder to strip the puck during the deke.

• You can see that in the new dekes. They firstly made deking more simple and easier for no reason, and it's now even harder to strip the puck during the deke.
    This. When people do that stupid windmill delete it's impossible to get the puck off them when in perfect position. You also take a tripping penalty when you're face to face with someone constantly. Defense was nerfed even further this year.

Lol you don't see many trailers about the "wow" moments of defense or being the best defense in the league. All about the offense, the beta felt pretty close for balance between defense and offense, the game is nothing like the beta now though.

The main problem, like a few have already said, is the insane agility you get as the puck carrier. You can hold your stick to the side at full speed and turn on a dime, but without the puck you can't, it's backwards.

Even the loose puck dekes should be more varied in who can pull them off, I can deke just as well with a grinder as with a dangler.
  • Lynch-CAN wrote: »

Lol you don't see many trailers about the "wow" moments of defense or being the best defense in the league. All about the offense, the beta felt pretty close for balance between defense and offense, the game is nothing like the beta now though.

The main problem, like a few have already said, is the insane agility you get as the puck carrier. You can hold your stick to the side at full speed and turn on a dime, but without the puck you can't, it's backwards.

Even the loose puck dekes should be more varied in who can pull them off, I can deke just as well with a grinder as with a dangler.

Yea well I knew the beta would be over and that a different release was coming. I was 99% sure and there it is.

Play offense or get frustrated.
  • Youratv
    260 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    So i talked to some player's who are a lot more knowledgeable about precision skating because i really didn't know much about it and i only play defense. They told me how it works is you can't skate forward but you can stride and sidestep sideways and you can break directional momentum by simply going backwards. They told me it was a bit more difficult to acheive in 16 and is now easier to acheive in 17. We played a game where the other team used it and it seems like it has no logical counter. One guy walked around us and almost every time we hit him or made him lose the puck it would go right back to his stick. My conclusion is it's op and needs a nerf. Nerf hammer approved. B)
  • mulsberry
    16 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    COGSx86 wrote: »

And Cogs

Yes because ignoring someone who wants to have constructive conversation but doesn't agree, should be ignored!

I guess you should ignore EA also then!

It's tough to have a constructive discussion with someone when they deny whats actually happening in the video evidence for, what? 3 times now is it?
  • Smike57
    97 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    If these issues are so prevalent, where is the video evidence ? Nicky mentioned Nyguist, in OT. lol ok lets break that down,

At 00:02 every skater on the ice is for all intents and purposes facing the puck. If you want to argue that the person directly attacking Nyquist is facing three degrees off the puck then that's fine. I, and others here in this thread and in the old one have conceded that everything cannot work 100% true to real life. It's a game. The point is, he's facing the general direction of the puck, can move laterally on the fly if need be, and transition into skating forward or backwards in the blink of an eye. Not sure where you're seeing Turris face directly up ice while Nyquist is on the boards. And you WOULDN'T need vision control to do that if that's what you wanted to do. You simply wouldn't press the button......

The part where you mention the two other defenders facing 90 degrees while the puck is in the corner (since you're nitpicking angles in your first observation I'll point out that's definitely NOT 90 degrees) lasts for all of 1 second and then they turn again to face the puck as its taken behind the net. And again IF the two defensemen wanted to face a direction similar to the one you're talking about all they have to do is LET GO OF THE BUTTON. See how that works? You wouldn't be forced to have vision control engaged at all times. Only when you want it.

That clip clearly shows the defending players looking directly at the puck 98.59999% of the time. Thanks for wasting everyone's time "analyzing" that clip for us and pointing out the fraction of a second where a defender isn't facing the puck, which if vision control worked, you'd still be able to do. Your pro hockey experience really saved the day on this one.

And also, the old thread had plenty of videos, and gifs and SUGGESTIONS on how to make the skating better.

This is the arrogance I'm talking about lol. Please, don't boost the already inflated ego of CLOWNs, oh sorry COGs, by calling him a "pro" player. He played 4th line major junior hockey, rode the pine for two years, didn't even get a sniff from anyone, and now he thinks he's a Scotty Bowman/Herb Brooks/Wayne Gretzky hybrid. He thinks everyone here doesn't know hockey, just because we think having more control with our skating would lead to a better game. TPS is great in theory, but it hasn't advanced enough (if any) to advance this franchise (again, I'd argue TPS has hindered it).

It's absolutely ridiculous...Sad. Sad is really the best way to put.
    I understand it and i think what your suggesting would weigh much more heavily in favor of offensive behaviour. Cutting in any direction you want without penalizing your directional momentum a good player will walk all over a good defenseman.

Wow, COGs already made a 2nd account in the new forums? Amazing.
    My suggestion is to create a gap and remember the size of that gap between you the defender and a forward. That gap will allow you to compensate for the lack of intial momentum and also allow you to create a small burst of momentum if you decide to become aggressive and close the gap. And as always use the other d man. You are not seperate entities, you are a defensive pair. You have to give each other the ability to cross skate. Don't section yourself off to one part of the ice because of the names left and right.

Now he's telling us how to play, as if we are asking for defensive help. We know how to play, champ. Knowing how to play doesn't remedy the problems at hand. This is COGs' 2nd account for sure.
  • HipNotiiCx wrote: »
    My suggestion is to create a gap and remember the size of that gap between you the defender and a forward. That gap will allow you to compensate for the lack of intial momentum and also allow you to create a small burst of momentum if you decide to become aggressive and close the gap. And as always use the other d man. You are not seperate entities, you are a defensive pair. You have to give each other the ability to cross skate. Don't section yourself off to one part of the ice because of the names left and right.

Now he's telling us how to play, as if we are asking for defensive help. We know how to play, champ. Knowing how to play doesn't remedy the problems at hand. This is COGs' 2nd account for sure.

Face palm

Why the h€ll would I create a 2nd account, ill say what I wanna say, and if people agree or don't I could care less.
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • Youratv
    260 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    HipNotiiCx wrote: »
    I understand it and i think what your suggesting would weigh much more heavily in favor of offensive behaviour. Cutting in any direction you want without penalizing your directional momentum a good player will walk all over a good defenseman.

Wow, COGs already made a 2nd account in the new forums? Amazing.

I don't know who you or cogs are. What's your deal? Yea i suggested something. I like hockey, i like playing nhl, and i also like to discuss the good and bad aspects of the game and the different philosophies of how everyone plays. I never told anyone how to play. Only a suggestion.