EA Forums - Banner

True Performance Skating

Replies

• So much has been shown and talked about that is wrong and broken with TPS. It's not as simple as "don't hold LS at 100%". TPS is even more broken at lower speeds. Listen.. You have some of the best 1v1 players out there telling you TPS is a clunky, wonky, exploitable heap of trash. You guys need to snap out of your damage control mindset and listen to your players.
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    Am i the only one that likes the skating, or doesn't have that much of an issue with it?
    I honestly dont see a problem, unless I spam sprint and tire out. it still feels explosive.

The issue with TPS is that most users are holding their left sticks at full range, 100% of the time. Then they begin to use Hustle almost the entire game.

These same users then come to the forums and say everything about the game is broken. It feels broken because everyone is trying to control their player at 100% speed at all times.

I'm in agreement with @strategg101 in that I like the skating system. Once you've taken the time to learn that holding your stick at 100% range is detrimental to most of the mechanics (dekes, puck pickups, etc) you'll realize we have so much more control.

I honestly feel there should be some settings to allow you to indicate the range of your left stick and the impact it has on your player's skating. Almost a "precision default" for skaters. This would show casuals (and a lot of so called "life long players") that continuously controlling your player with 100% range of the left stick is going to yield bad results.

The main people in this thread arguing against TPS are not your average six year old trying to hustle the whole time. What a typical troll response, trying discredit anyone who doesn't bow down to this mediocre at best title from a AAA company. Colon and I have both been saying how SMALL adjustments are very difficult. I believe I've even mentioned feathering the stick (you know, because people with critiques can, and DO, know how to play the game) in order to attempt these small changes.

At the end of the day, you can look at a 360 spin to make a small adjustment as "wow that probably shouldn't happen" or you can be a fanboii and say "these kids don't know how to play". You seem to always choose the later, and it makes me question your mod status every time.
  • Yeah, but when you lump the eight year olds you struggle to beat in OTP, with the people on the forums giving legit feedback for a clunky skating engine, you are obviously trying to discredit people like me and colon. Unless you're really bad at hockey (which could be very true, judging by the way you defend this skating engine) it would be terribly easy to see the existing limitations in this skatign engine. It is clunky and inconsistient. Again, saying 90% of people play at full speed, and are probably just making user errors, does not contribute to the conversation. It only tries to discredit people who don't agree with you.

• A lot of people most likely do just run around full speed all game long, but that doesn't take away the fact that there are so many issues with this skating engine
  • Smike57
    97 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    You are discrediting people. You literally said the same people who play at 100% the whole time, are the same people on the forums saying how broken the game is. So, someone like me, who won't turn a blind eye to poor physics, AI, and a pretty "broken" skating engine, is now an eight year old who doesnt know how to play, beccause I'm on the forums saying something is broken.

It's funny, I call you out for always being a close-minded, EA fanboii "gitgud" "play better" response type of guy, then you read my post, switch the words up a little, and act like I'm the one who can't see the other side lol...I can appreciate strides and progress, but I need to actually see strides and progress to give a development team props for strides and progress. Get it? Take poke checking and hitting for example, made huge leaps from 16 to the beta (but unfortunately regressed from the beta to the full release) and I spoke highly about those two (temporary...lol) improvements!

I can see both sides. I know there's user error, I know there's a crap ton of bad players, but I also have the brain power to decipher when its an eight year old raging, and when it's a well thoughtout, multiple paragraph response with many valid points, from forum vets who know how to play the game. So, if you could stop lumping us all together, maybe discussion would actually happen...

P.S. I'm probably right, and you are more than likely wrong. Just "calling it how I see it, brooo lullzzz"
  • CrushNHL wrote: »
    So much has been shown and talked about that is wrong and broken with TPS. It's not as simple as "don't hold LS at 100%". TPS is even more broken at lower speeds. Listen.. You have some of the best 1v1 players out there telling you TPS is a clunky, wonky, exploitable heap of trash. You guys need to snap out of your damage control mindset and listen to your players.

this. whether you're full tilt or not, the skating engine is clunky, pivots are broken at best and controlling your player is a chore. saying we're not using the controller correctly is laughable tbh.

the game didn't just magically lose popularity, the skating engine and auto-everything caused thousands of players to give up on it altogether. the NHL has never been more popular than it is now, yet the sales numbers for the video game have been in the dumps since the introduction of TPS.
    A lot of people most likely do just run around full speed all game long, but that doesn't take away the fact that there are so many issues with this skating engine

It doesn't?

What if some (not all) issues are directly related to maneuvers being attempted at full speed? When said maneuvers were designed to be performed at half speed, and the penalty for performing moves depends on the speed at which you're attempting to do so... I'd suggest that some of the 'spinning' and 'facing the wrong direction' issues are the price you pay for trying to defend or skate with the puck at full speed, 100% of the time?

No, it doesn't. Maybe you should take a logic class or something, because you make no legitimate logical jumps. Just because at the surface, someone isn't using skating right, doesn't mean the foundation for the skating engine isn't broken. Your logical conclusion would be equal to giving a brain dead person a broken tool, then noticing he doesn't know how to use said tool, so that must mean it's user error and not the tool.

Ridiculous...

A proper response would've been: you're right, Colon, but I believe many issues with skating are due to misuse of the engine.

See the difference? Because, it looks like you were trying to say in your paragraph that only some (not all) issues are more than likely misuse of the engine, which would imply that there are underlying issues with the engine. So, again, no. Misuse of the engine does not take away the fact that there are underlying issues with the engine lol...That's basic logic.

CrushNHL wrote: »
    So much has been shown and talked about that is wrong and broken with TPS. It's not as simple as "don't hold LS at 100%". TPS is even more broken at lower speeds. Listen.. You have some of the best 1v1 players out there telling you TPS is a clunky, wonky, exploitable heap of trash. You guys need to snap out of your damage control mindset and listen to your players.

this. whether you're full tilt or not, the skating engine is clunky, pivots are broken at best and controlling your player is a chore. saying we're not using the controller correctly is laughable tbh.

the game didn't just magically lose popularity, the skating engine and auto-everything caused thousands of players to give up on it altogether. the NHL has never been more popular than it is now, yet the sales numbers for the video game have been in the dumps since the introduction of TPS.

So how can it be that some players experience a fraction of the number of problems that others do?

Are we playing entirely different games?

Am I just an apologist and defender of EA?

Am I playing NHL 2k?

Or, are the people who aren't having issues with TPS just a little more versed in how the mechanic is designed and the intent of how it's to be controlled?

Maybe you do experience it, but you just don't actually notice it?
  • In any event, even if we agree and say that 90% of users don't use the mechanic appropriately, isn't that a sign that the mechanic wasn't designed well if only 10% of people are able to skate the right way?
  • SiIkyJohnson
    316 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    KoryDub wrote: »
    CrushNHL wrote: »

So how can it be that some players experience a fraction of the number of problems that others do?

Are we playing entirely different games?

Am I just an apologist and defender of EA?

Am I playing NHL 2k?

Or, are the people who aren't having issues with TPS just a little more versed in how the mechanic is designed and the intent of how it's to be controlled?

most people have given up complaining about it, because they know the devs ignore us. the only people defending the skating engine here are you and 2 other trolls (possibly the same guy on 2 different accounts).

the sales numbers speak for themselves. less control of our player = more and more people quitting the franchise every year.
  • Experiencing issues doesn't mean someone is bad. I can play a good defensive game, and my team can win 2-1 games against top clubs. That doesn't mean I can't notice the issues or feel the limitations of the system. Define "having problems" because when I "have problems" it usually isn't resulting in a goal, I just can notice how limited the skating engine is for defense.

Your biggest flaw in your arguments, is equating "problems" with a lack of skill. Nobody can skate flawlessly in this game, that's my "problem" with the engine. There are situations where you simply cannot make the proper turns, pivots, etc.. in time to prevent a scoring chance, and that is a big flaw with this engine. Not being able to face the puck at a standstill is a "problem". Having your guy randomly pivot while feathering the stick in the slot is a "problem". These aren't lack of skill problems, these are underlying issues due to a garbage engine, that produces nothing but terrible, straight-line hockey that truly is just hard on the eyes.
    In any event, even if we agree and say that 90% of users don't use the mechanic appropriately, isn't that a sign that the mechanic wasn't designed well if only 10% of people are able to skate the right way?

I'd argue that it's not a design flaw, and more of an education flaw.

I think there needs to be more tutorials to lend a hand in showing the difference in control vs the range of motion on the left stick.

Would you also include a tutorial on how to recover, after your player randomly pivots and stops facing the way you want him too? WIll you include a tutorial on how to play defense when your guy refuses to turn around, despite gliding, holding LT, then pulling back on the sitck? This engine is beyond repair, let alone havig it's problems solved by simple tutorials...
  • When you play people div 9 HUT biggies, you won't experience this. This happens in big boy games. Stuff happens way too fast for this skating engine to keep up (when you're playing people with skill. Can't emphasize this point enough). It's nothing you're doing right, it's simply that you have absolutely zero experience with playing very good teams.
  • 2HxC4u
    114 posts Member
    HipNotiiCx wrote: »
    When you play people div 9 HUT biggies, you won't experience this. This happens in big boy games. Stuff happens way too fast for this skating engine to keep up (when you're playing people with skill. Can't emphasize this point enough). It's nothing you're doing right, it's simply that you have absolutely zero experience with playing very good teams.

as someone who competes in hut at a high level I find this statement hilarious. I too dont experience the issues Kory is describing, so now what? Also DIV 9 or DIV 1 doesn't really depict what kind of skill level you have at this stage of the game...It could simply mean skilled players got a late start and could still be slumming around in lower divisions.

Please, do continue though.
    GT - T0o HxC 4u
    TN - HOCKEYTOWN
  • T0o_HxC_4u wrote: »
    When you play people div 9 HUT biggies, you won't experience this. This happens in big boy games. Stuff happens way too fast for this skating engine to keep up (when you're playing people with skill. Can't emphasize this point enough). It's nothing you're doing right, it's simply that you have absolutely zero experience with playing very good teams.

as someone who competes in hut at a high level I find this statement hilarious. I too dont experience the issues Kory is describing, so now what? Also DIV 9 or DIV 1 doesn't really depict what kind of skill level you have at this stage of the game...It could simply mean skilled players got a late start and could still be slumming around in lower divisions.

As someone who has competed at a much higher level than you, I find it hilarious when all of my gripes are simply written off because I'm a "bad player" a "whiner" and I need to "gitgud" by the MODS themselves.
    A lot of people most likely do just run around full speed all game long, but that doesn't take away the fact that there are so many issues with this skating engine

It doesn't?

What if some (not all) issues are directly related to maneuvers being attempted at full speed? When said maneuvers were designed to be performed at half speed, and the penalty for performing moves depends on the speed at which you're attempting to do so... I'd suggest that some of the 'spinning' and 'facing the wrong direction' issues are the price you pay for trying to defend or skate with the puck at full speed, 100% of the time?

Because I'm not playing a game of defense skating at full speed. If you've ever read any of my posts you'd figure that out. And skating full speed and attempting certain maneuvers is only gonna get you caught flat footed and has nothing to do with lack or rotational control over your player, and the lack of precision low speed control. But there still is a lack of efficiency in the way the players in this game skate. Because even certain low speed stops are still made with a drawn out exaggerated way using both skate blades.
    when your guy refuses to turn around, despite gliding, holding LT, then pulling back on the sitck? This engine is beyond repair, let alone havig it's problems solved by simple tutorials...

Never had this happen to me.

What am I doing wrong?

More importantly.. what am I doing right to have never experienced this?

Not paying attention. That's what you're doing wrong. If you posted a video of you playing an online game player locked as a defenseman, it wouldn't look any different than what other players are experiencing.

It doesn't?

Because I'm not playing a game of defense skating at full speed. If you've ever read any of my posts you'd figure that out. And skating full speed and attempting certain maneuvers is only gonna get you caught flat footed and has nothing to do with lack or rotational control over your player, and the lack of precision low speed control. But there still is a lack of efficiency in the way the players in this game skate. Because even certain low speed stops are still made with a drawn out exaggerated way using both skate blades.

Exactly. We can debate this all we want, but at the end of the day, people will never get it. It's not that we can't play, or don't know how, it' just that we know the limitations of the system, and wish they wouldn't exist.
  • 2HxC4u
    114 posts Member
    T0o_HxC_4u wrote: »

As someone who has competed at a much higher level than you, I find it hilarious when all of my gripes are simply written off because I'm a "bad player" a "whiner" and I need to "gitgud" by the MODS themselves.

Nobody has once mentioned - You are bad, you need to "git gud", or you're a whiner. It seems to me that those are things you chose to describe yourself. Also how would you know that you compete at a "much higher" level than me? Nobody writes off your complaints, its the way you choose to convey them, which is terrible.

Things like "EA says screw defense - GO BUY MORE PACKS FOR SICK SNYPPEEZZZ", When that is one of the most idiotic things I've read on here in awhile. So what is EA supposed to do? Not want people to buy packs? Seems like a good business model, hopefully you yourself dont run a business or your employees would find that mind set a bit unsettling. Ive played with a wide variety of players/teams, and no matter what players you buy it'll never impact your skill level enough to get you passed the wall you'll no doubt hit at some point.

DOES an all star team make it easier? Sure it does, but not insanely. Im off track for the true topic...just convey your opinions and issues in a more appropriate way and maybe you wont feel like people think you need to git gud.
    GT - T0o HxC 4u
    TN - HOCKEYTOWN
  • T0o_HxC_4u wrote: »
    T0o_HxC_4u wrote: »

Nobody has once mentioned - You are bad, you need to "git gud", or you're a whiner. It seems to me that those are things you chose to describe yourself. Also how would you know that you compete at a "much higher" level than me? Nobody writes off your complaints, its the way you choose to convey them, which is terrible.

Things like "EA says screw defense - GO BUY MORE PACKS FOR SICK SNYPPEEZZZ", When that is one of the most **** things I've read on here in awhile. So what is EA supposed to do? Not want people to buy packs? Seems like a good business model, hopefully you yourself dont run a business or your employees would find that mind set a bit unsettling. Ive played with a wide variety of players/teams, and no matter what players you buy it'll never impact your skill level enough to get you passed the wall you'll no doubt hit at some point.

DOES an all star team make it easier? Sure it does, but not insanely. Im off track for the true topic...just convey your opinions and issues in a more appropriate way and maybe you wont feel like people think you need to git gud.

Yes, can you please stay on topic? You're derailing a thread, because of another thread. I want to talk about goofy pivots, awkward turns, and the obvious lack of controll we hae when trying to make small adjustments. Personal vendetta's can be handled with PM's.