EA Forums - Banner

Stick lift?

Replies

• kanucks2525
    31 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Stick lift's lack of effectiveness is most evident on the back-check when you're skating along the puck carrier in perfect body position but can't lift and steal.

I don't really understand the thought process behind this. Stick lift mechanics always worked well; you lift if you do it right and for the most part you get a penalty if you don't. It takes skill to use it properly and now we've just taken one skill out of the game.

As a defense-first player whose best attribute is probably using body position and angles to stick-check (pokes and lifts) this really sucks :(
  • Santini3 wrote: »
    The fact that you can't stick lift and take the puck from an AFK player should be proud enough that the stick lift is broken.

The devs are going to fix it, we just need to wait for the next update.
  • Lynch-CAN wrote: »

Hate to pile on the devs some more but that's a frightening notion considering a completely game-breaking issue for EASHL (captain lag) took almost half a year to fix in NHL16. I doubt they are really in a rush to address this issue which is small in comparison. Continuous and timely support hasn't exactly been EA's MO in recent years, especially when it comes to the NHL series.

Hate to pile on the devs some more but that's a frightening notion considering a completely game-breaking issue for EASHL (captain lag) took almost half a year to fix in NHL16. I doubt they are really in a rush to address this issue which is small in comparison. Continuous and timely support hasn't exactly been EA's MO in recent years, especially when it comes to the NHL series.

That was a major technical issue though, stick lifts just has to do with changing sliders.
    Lynch-CAN wrote: »

That was a major technical issue though, stick lifts just has to do with changing sliders.

True, but it still took way too long considering how significant it was.

Also I just don't think it's the slider. Part of the problem is the delay on the stick lift they added this year to make the new extended stick lift work.
  • Stick lifts need tweaking, but they should never even come close to what we had last year. The game turned into a sword fight, with people abusing the **** out of the lift. If any of you want it back to that way again, you obviously don't know how to actually play D.

COGS is right about the tie up, it's very effective once you get the timing/positioning down. It takes some practice but it works.
  • Stick lift's lack of effectiveness is most evident on the back-check when you're skating along the puck carrier in perfect body position but can't lift and steal.

I don't really understand the thought process behind this. Stick lift mechanics always worked well; you lift if you do it right and for the most part you get a penalty if you don't. It takes skill to use it properly and now we've just taken one skill out of the game.

As a defense-first player whose best attribute is probably using body position and angles to stick-check (pokes and lifts) this really sucks :(

It did not take skill last year, the game was a sword fight and penalties were rarely called unless you were WAY out of position. Last years stick lift was a joke.
  • mulsberry wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Santini3 wrote: »
    L every respectable player I have talked to about it agrees that the stick lift is useless.

Yes, thats because stick lifts are useless, in real hockey also

thats cause you dont play hockey. Even in street hockey in the back lane people stick lift. You see it all the time in board battles in the nhl. What a stupid statement

Wrong

looks like we now know Cogs' 2nd account name LOL.

lol I don't even know the guy. Only that you all are upset that poor on the defensive end of the ice. Practice a little instead of whining.
  • I don't really understand the thought process behind this. Stick lift mechanics always worked well; you lift if you do it right and for the most part you get a penalty if you don't. It takes skill to use it properly and now we've just taken one skill out of the game.

Well, this is completely false. Stick lift in NHL 15 and NHL 16 took no skill at all. All you had to do was mash A over and over again. Your chances of getting called for a penalty were slim, and you were able to stick lift consistently from impossible angles, including stick lifting by putting your stick entirely through the offensive player's body.

Clearly, stick lift has been overly nerfed in this year's game. But they needed to massively tone down the stick lift from last year. It was utterly unrealistic, and it was just absurd that you'd regularly see 15-20 clean takeaways via stick lift a game, not to mention the idiotic sword battles along the boards. Bringing the NHL 16 mechanic back would be unquestionably worse than what we have now.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »

Well, this is completely false. Stick lift in NHL 15 and NHL 16 took no skill at all. All you had to do was mash A over and over again. Your chances of getting called for a penalty were slim, and you were able to stick lift consistently from impossible angles, including stick lifting by putting your stick entirely through the offensive player's body.

Clearly, stick lift has been overly nerfed in this year's game. But they needed to massively tone down the stick lift from last year. It was utterly unrealistic, and it was just absurd that you'd regularly see 15-20 clean takeaways via stick lift a game, not to mention the idiotic sword battles along the boards. Bringing the NHL 16 mechanic back would be unquestionably worse than what we have now.

Exactly... NHL16 was a mashers paradise. Just spam from any angle and 99/100 times you were rewarded. The stick lift worked pretty darn well for me last night. Obvious Goalie Interference and wide open puck pickups are the only real issues I see with the game.
  • I guess this is my third account eh ?

Bmh245 wrote: »

You must unlearn what you have learned!

You should specify which game mode you play. You can't stick lift spam like an idiot in EASHL as you can do in vs and HUT. Try this in an EASHL game in 16 and tell me that your opinion doesn't change.
  • Obvious Goalie Interference and wide open puck pickups are the only real issues I see with the game.

There are a thousand things wrong with

You should specify which game mode you play. You can't stick lift spam like an idiot in EASHL as you can do in vs and HUT. Try this in an EASHL game in 16 and tell me that your opinion doesn't change.

I was talking about VS and HUT. But Brick was always talking about the absurdity of sword battles and stick lifts last year, and I thought he only played EASHL.

Of course, if EA hadn't idiotically deleted every bit of content from the old forums, I'd be able to go track down the posts I'm thinking of, rather than having to speculate.

Obvious Goalie Interference and wide open puck pickups are the only real issues I see with the game.

There are a thousand things wrong with

I was talking about VS and HUT. But Brick was always talking about the absurdity of sword battles and stick lifts last year, and I thought he only played EASHL.

Of course, if EA hadn't idiotically deleted every bit of content from the old forums, I'd be able to go track down the posts I'm thinking of, rather than having to speculate.

Well dunno about what Brick was referring to, but spamming in EASHL will lead to alot of penalties. Not comparable to HUT or vs. Different tuning altogether.
  • Well dunno about what Brick was referring to, but spamming in EASHL will lead to alot of penalties. Not comparable to HUT or vs. Different tuning altogether.

If that was the case last year, then I don't know why they would have changed it. But for VS/HUT, the way stick lift worked in NHL 16 was completely absurd. It absolutely needed to be significantly nerfed.
    Well dunno about what Brick was referring to, but spamming in EASHL will lead to alot of penalties. Not comparable to HUT or vs. Different tuning altogether.

If that was the case last year, then I don't know why they would have changed it. But for VS/HUT, the way stick lift worked in NHL 16 was completely absurd. It absolutely needed to be significantly nerfed.

Yea I saw some vids. Was total sword fighting. Game should have been called NHLPirates 16 lol.
  • Stick lift is perfect, do not change it EA!!!!

The stick lift was the biggest **** tool in previous years, you could skate by someone and they could pick your pocket out of position from behind with relative ease and consistency. Make us work to be in position on defense, much better this year, you can't be lazy on defense and get bailed out by spamming stick lift as a skater goes by.

Anyways, poke check is much more effective this year so it makes up for the harder stick lift, fair trade off.
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    Anyways, poke check is much more effective this year so it makes up for the harder stick lift, fair trade off.

My problem with that is that poke checks and hits are far too inconsistent at taking possession away from the forward. A poke check or hit is going to send the puck in a somewhat random direction at a random speed, and not result in a change of possession in many cases. Stick lifts were the surgical option to remove a puck from a player and take possession consistently when in good position. It did work too much from a bad position as well, but that was the real fix that was needed and not an all-around nerf of it like we have now.

Defense right now is a collection of clumsy tools (puck pickups, hitting, vision control/"precision" skating, poke checks, tie-ups, board play, etc) trying to stop forwards who have so much more control over their players that unless you're playing a much less talented opponent you have to just focus on containing them and hope they make a mistake. Even if they do make a mistake though, a loose puck as a result of a hit or poke often just gets picked right back up by the player who just lost it.

Defense absolutely needs some attention from the developers right now because it's boring and monotonous at best, and terribly frustrating at its worst. It amounts to not much more than skating around with the left stick spamming poke check when the forward puts the puck anywhere near you, and hitting them if they're being careless, then hoping you can pick up the puck. Let players make quick turnovers and start breakouts, and give players the ability to more consistently control the puck after they are able to knock it away from a player with new mechanics to help control where the puck will end up and make quick escape strides when trying to turn up the ice after winning possession.
  • The_B_0_G
    593 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    sgiz1 wrote: »

My problem with that is that poke checks and hits are far too inconsistent at taking possession away from the forward. A poke check or hit is going to send the puck in a somewhat random direction at a random speed, and not result in a change of possession in many cases. Stick lifts were the surgical option to remove a puck from a player and take possession consistently when in good position. It did work too much from a bad position as well, but that was the real fix that was needed and not an all-around nerf of it like we have now.

Defense right now is a collection of clumsy tools (puck pickups, hitting, vision control/"precision" skating, poke checks, tie-ups, board play, etc) trying to stop forwards who have so much more control over their players that unless you're playing a much less talented opponent you have to just focus on containing them and hope they make a mistake. Even if they do make a mistake though, a loose puck as a result of a hit or poke often just gets picked right back up by the player who just lost it.

Defense absolutely needs some attention from the developers right now because it's boring and monotonous at best, and terribly frustrating at its worst. It amounts to not much more than skating around with the left stick spamming poke check when the forward puts the puck anywhere near you, and hitting them if they're being careless, then hoping you can pick up the puck. Let players make quick turnovers and start breakouts, and give players the ability to more consistently control the puck after they are able to knock it away from a player with new mechanics to help control where the puck will end up and make quick escape strides when trying to turn up the ice after winning possession.

I think poke checks need more power, most of the time when you poke check the puck it doesn't move more than 6 inches and some times doesn't move at all, it just stops.
  • CH1l1X95 wrote: »
    6:50: #42 for Chicago against #19 for TML.
    7:48: #57 for Chicago against #28 for TML.
    10:18: #15 for Chicago against #42 for TML.
    11:21: #19 for Chicago against #51 for TML. Missed sticklift by Toews.
    11:27: #81 for Chicago against #24 for TML. Sticklift turns into a tie up.
    15:08: #19 for Chicago against #51 for TML.
    15:22: #7 for Chicago against #23 for TML.
    16:09: #88 for Chicago against #24 for TML.
    16:37: #47 for Chicago against #24 for TML. Difficult to see due to how fast but it was a sticklift.
    16:53: #86 for Chicago against #19 for TML. Failed sticklift.
    17:03: #28 for Chicago against #28 for TML. Before the puck arrives to the two players
    17:03: #28 for Chicago against #26 for TML. Literally just after the sticklift that happened prior.
    18:47: #81 for Chicago against #43 for TML. Hossa does two rapid sticklifts.
    18:49: #81 for Chicago against #51 for TML. Missed sticklift by Hossa.
    19:32: #72 for Chicago against #44 for TML. Sticklift to a tie-up, then another sticklift.

There you go COGS. 11 minutes of hockey and I found 17 clear sticklifts. There were multiple others but they were either some more misses or weren't clear enough. But please continue on about how useless they are and that they aren't used often.

But... But... Those aren't stick lifts! — cogs