EA Forums - Banner

Stick lift?

123457Next

Replies

• sgiz1 wrote: »
    Anyways, poke check is much more effective this year so it makes up for the harder stick lift, fair trade off.

My problem with that is that poke checks and hits are far too inconsistent at taking possession away from the forward. A poke check or hit is going to send the puck in a somewhat random direction at a random speed, and not result in a change of possession in many cases. Stick lifts were the surgical option to remove a puck from a player and take possession consistently when in good position. It did work too much from a bad position as well, but that was the real fix that was needed and not an all-around nerf of it like we have now.

Defense right now is a collection of clumsy tools (puck pickups, hitting, vision control/"precision" skating, poke checks, tie-ups, board play, etc) trying to stop forwards who have so much more control over their players that unless you're playing a much less talented opponent you have to just focus on containing them and hope they make a mistake. Even if they do make a mistake though, a loose puck as a result of a hit or poke often just gets picked right back up by the player who just lost it.

Defense absolutely needs some attention from the developers right now because it's boring and monotonous at best, and terribly frustrating at its worst. It amounts to not much more than skating around with the left stick spamming poke check when the forward puts the puck anywhere near you, and hitting them if they're being careless, then hoping you can pick up the puck. Let players make quick turnovers and start breakouts, and give players the ability to more consistently control the puck after they are able to knock it away from a player with new mechanics to help control where the puck will end up and make quick escape strides when trying to turn up the ice after winning possession.

Great post! Defense is at a huge disadvantage without being able to use stick lift. Poke check isn't the answer to every play. There's been plenty of times where I'm in a situation where I can stick lift him but I don't even try because it doesn't even work.
  • My problem with that is that poke checks and hits are far too inconsistent at taking possession away from the forward. A poke check or hit is going to send the puck in a somewhat random direction at a random speed, and not result in a change of possession in many cases. Stick lifts were the surgical option to remove a puck from a player and take possession consistently when in good position. It did work too much from a bad position as well, but that was the real fix that was needed and not an all-around nerf of it like we have now.

That's a big issue with pokes. They do seem to connect more this year but a lot of times the puck is just slightly loosened and the puck carrier regains possession right away. It sometimes even creates an advantage for the puck carrier because the poker slows down a bit when doing the animation. It's almost like the poker helps the carrier out with a little "push puck".
    You should specify which game mode you play. You can't stick lift spam like an idiot in EASHL as you can do in vs and HUT. Try this in an EASHL game in 16 and tell me that your opinion doesn't change.

Yeah I'm talking strictly about EASHL. I also didn't buy 15 so I can't speak to the stick lifts that year.
  • Sall0020 wrote: »
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    Anyways, poke check is much more effective this year so it makes up for the harder stick lift, fair trade off.

My problem with that is that poke checks and hits are far too inconsistent at taking possession away from the forward. A poke check or hit is going to send the puck in a somewhat random direction at a random speed, and not result in a change of possession in many cases. Stick lifts were the surgical option to remove a puck from a player and take possession consistently when in good position. It did work too much from a bad position as well, but that was the real fix that was needed and not an all-around nerf of it like we have now.

Defense right now is a collection of clumsy tools (puck pickups, hitting, vision control/"precision" skating, poke checks, tie-ups, board play, etc) trying to stop forwards who have so much more control over their players that unless you're playing a much less talented opponent you have to just focus on containing them and hope they make a mistake. Even if they do make a mistake though, a loose puck as a result of a hit or poke often just gets picked right back up by the player who just lost it.

Defense absolutely needs some attention from the developers right now because it's boring and monotonous at best, and terribly frustrating at its worst. It amounts to not much more than skating around with the left stick spamming poke check when the forward puts the puck anywhere near you, and hitting them if they're being careless, then hoping you can pick up the puck. Let players make quick turnovers and start breakouts, and give players the ability to more consistently control the puck after they are able to knock it away from a player with new mechanics to help control where the puck will end up and make quick escape strides when trying to turn up the ice after winning possession.

Great post! Defense is at a huge disadvantage without being able to use stick lift. Poke check isn't the answer to every play. There's been plenty of times where I'm in a situation where I can stick lift him but I don't even try because it doesn't even work.

Exactly, sometimes it feels like we're barely a step above Blades of Steel here in terms of the options you have while playing D when you're one on one with a guy.
  • Sall0020 wrote: »
    sgiz1 wrote: »

Exactly, sometimes it feels like we're barely a step above Blades of Steel here in terms of the options you have while playing D when you're one on one with a guy.

No kidding. Clearly this dev team only cares about making forwards fun. Who cares about D right? And goalies? What? You can play goalie position? We didn't even know, must be a bug!!
  • We don't have to post or argue about stick lifts anymore, they announced at the top of the forum they are aware it's broken and will be fixed. The puck hogs and danglers will have to go back to passing soon, let them have their fun while they can.