EA Forums - Banner

Considering Purchasing - Looking for a Hockey Sim like the previous Gen style - Advice Please

RobDangle
8 posts Member
edited September 2016
Hey guys,

Proud Canadian and devout hockey fan. Understand cycle, pressure, forecheck... ie hockey. Grew up playing it. I literally purchased a PS4 originally for NHL 15 when they hit next gen gaming. NHL 15 was so terrible I put in the least amount of hours of my entire life on it. Gave NHL 16 a shot. Same garbage. Now I am itching to play video game hockey, and need some pointers from this lovely community. I can only play so much NHL Legacy searching for online games for 15 minutes each time. Here's my points of contention:

1) Can you pass to space again?

Last gen NHL you had the ability to control the weight and direction of a pass with little pass assist getting in the way. It allowed me (a Vancouver Canuck fan and huge fan of the Sedins cycle) to create an sustained pressure and cycle. NHL 15 and 16 nerfed passing so that not only was pass assist pulling passes onto the tape of a player instead of passing to space, but also controlled the weight of the pass totally ruining the ability to "float" one in.

2) Can you stick lift, poke check, and use "vision" to keep your defender facing the opposing player?

From what I've read, this is apparently again, a huge issue. I'm fairly certain EA being the money mongering 🎃🎃🎃🎃 that they are, they are trying to create a 🎃🎃🎃🎃 arcade hockey game so a casual hockey fan can score goals without playing hockey. Sorry, but it has been frustrating as hell.

3) When you hit a player, the puck doesn't just magically stop sliding as soon as there is contact?

Issue for years. Contact on the body doesn't mean the puck is also contacted. It should continue travelling the direction it was prior to the hit.

4) Glitch wrister, tell me it is gone?

Does Carey Price or Johnny Quick let in an unscreened floater by Raffi Torres from the blueline while cutting diagonally at 5 mph, magically bar down far side still?

5) Can you hit a player that does that stupid toedrag deke or are they still invincible?

Read above^

6) Being that it seems as though EA is hellbent on catering to the audience of casual hockey fans rather than us diehards that have been supporting the brand for a decade, should I just buy this game and commit to the fact I will never again play a hockey simulation again?

Thanks guys, please let me know - about $450 Canadian is resting on your guys' shoulders.
Post edited by RobDangle on

Replies

• You come in with a 🎃🎃🎃🎃 poor attitude and expect the most negative forum to give you an answer?

• 1. Yes, you can turn pass assist off completely.

2. Stick lift is currently broken, it might work once out of every 10 tries if you don't get a penalty first. Poke checking is good and is whete it should be for accuracy. Vision control is the same as last year, still terrible.

3. Not sure about this, usually the puck doesn't move far but I did notice it's easier to get the puck after a big hit.

4. You can still pull the glitch wrister off but if you take a slapshot from the same spot you'll probably score too. Goalies aren't great. Slightly better than the average human goalie.

5. If you make good contact you crush anyone, the hitting is improved quite a bit this year.

6.It's better than 16 for sure, I only play EASHL though. Judging by you dumping 450 into it you must be a HUT player. I wouldn't spend that much for any PS4 game so it's your call if it's worth it or not.
  • Well Rob there's good news and bad news. My friends and i are all huge hockey fans and live in Vancouver as well, also have been playing EA's hockey since 92 or 93.

The good news is this is the best hockey sim EA has made to date by far, it may not address the all the specific issues you have but there is way more sliders and it is becoming quite adjustable ala the 2K series. You can basically craft up whatever experience you'd like -offline.

The bad news: initially, pre release, it was the best online hockey that's ever been so far. Now that it's released it seems once again they have caved to the casuals and thrown the sim settings out the window. Basically you have a large contingent of gamers who have no interest in learning how to pass accurately, shoot accurately, and play the skirmish filled kind of hockey you watch every night. They want to race up and down the ice, deking and scoring with any scrub player they happen to be controlling.

Hopefully someday we'll get a company committed to not only creating an accurate representation of hockey, as EA gives you the capability to do with offline slider adjustment, but to bringing that to online play as well. At the very least they could have a sim league and a faster, more casual league, but at this time it seems like it's more profitable to ignore the real hockey fans and pander to the kids.
  • It's still very early and the team is still getting tons of feedback regarding turners and issues that people want addressed.

Remember that turners while they do change the game change it on a very limited level and what you perceive as EA giving the casuals what they want is more about the guys who play this game that way learning what they can and can't get away with.

It's a constant checks and balance trying to find the right about of realism and fun and finding what does and doesn't work.

As for the game, it is a very improved version of last year and the best hockey game EA has made. Last year after a couple of month I grew tired of the game that was very similar to the previous one and didn't really offer much up.

This game despite a few hiccups is a much better realization of the sport of hockey, dumping and chasing is a usual strategy for an offense. I find playing defense while not perfect is greatly improved, hopefully a stick lift turner will make it even more of a balanced battle between forward and defenseman. Cycling the puck and good passing leads to more scoring opportunities this year and works better then just skating around the zone. There are few things that can be better but I can say for sure I'll play NHL17 a lot more then I played NHL16.
    Do, or do not, there is no try
  • TimeToHockey94
    214 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    I find your, "uneducated American," comment extremely offensive. I'm a very good player on this game, and wouldn't you know! I'm American. It's funny that the biggest glitchers and cheese players in the game are actually from the Quebec which, last last time I checked, is a province in Canada. Educate yourself, and get that ignorance out of here. Comes in with a reasonable question, and then soils himself with a rude comment.
  • BSDShoes
    114 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Archibald3 wrote: »
    Well Rob there's good news and bad news. My friends and i are all huge hockey fans and live in Vancouver as well, also have been playing EA's hockey since 92 or 93.

The good news is this is the best hockey sim EA has made to date by far, it may not address the all the specific issues you have but there is way more sliders and it is becoming quite adjustable ala the 2K series. You can basically craft up whatever experience you'd like -offline.

The bad news: initially, pre release, it was the best online hockey that's ever been so far. Now that it's released it seems once again they have caved to the casuals and thrown the sim settings out the window. Basically you have a large contingent of gamers who have no interest in learning how to pass accurately, shoot accurately, and play the skirmish filled kind of hockey you watch every night. They want to race up and down the ice, deking and scoring with any scrub player they happen to be controlling.

Hopefully someday we'll get a company committed to not only creating an accurate representation of hockey, as EA gives you the capability to do with offline slider adjustment, but to bringing that to online play as well. At the very least they could have a sim league and a faster, more casual league, but at this time it seems like it's more profitable to ignore the real hockey fans and pander to the kids.

I'm in Vancouver and EA NHL player since '93 as well, I think the exact same as you do in this post.
  • Hey guys -

Rather than quoting over and over I am going to reply all here:

$450 refers to buying another PS4 too... Sold mine lol as its sole purpose was to play NHL. I am a PC gamer mostly. (which is another can of worms entirely not having a PC port anymore)

"Uneducated American" was out of line and I apologize. I won't deny I wrote that after having read the "Arcade Hockey is Back" thread and it got my blood boiling. I think my frustration is that making a sim with their current product is not difficult. Just like how Call of Duty offers a "Hardcore" mode, so should NHL online. This will promote competitive play for guys looking to play hockey.

Sliders don't help. I want to play against people in 2016.

Thank you for your comments -

Still a few unanswered questions though.

Rob
  • I find your, "uneducated American," comment extremely offensive. I'm a very good player on this game, and wouldn't you know! I'm American. It's funny that the biggest glitchers and cheese players in the game are actually from the Quebec which, last last time I checked, is a province in Canada. Educate yourself, and get that ignorance out of here. Comes in with a reasonable question, and then soils himself with a rude comment.

Even Candians hate Quebecois. And again - I apologize for the comment. Uncalled for and a bad generalization.
  • RobDangle wrote: »
    Hey guys -

Rather than quoting over and over I am going to reply all here:

$450 refers to buying another PS4 too... Sold mine lol as its sole purpose was to play NHL. I am a PC gamer mostly. (which is another can of worms entirely not having a PC port anymore)

"Uneducated American" was out of line and I apologize. I won't deny I wrote that after having read the "Arcade Hockey is Back" thread and it got my blood boiling. I think my frustration is that making a sim with their current product is not difficult. Just like how Call of Duty offers a "Hardcore" mode, so should NHL online. This will promote competitive play for guys looking to play hockey.

Sliders don't help. I want to play against people in 2016.

Thank you for your comments -

Still a few unanswered questions though.

Rob

What other questions do you need answered?
  • A lot of the answers were geared towards offline. I am referring to EA determined slidersl.
  • RobDangle wrote: »
    I find your, "uneducated American," comment extremely offensive. I'm a very good player on this game, and wouldn't you know! I'm American. It's funny that the biggest glitchers and cheese players in the game are actually from the Quebec which, last last time I checked, is a province in Canada. Educate yourself, and get that ignorance out of here. Comes in with a reasonable question, and then soils himself with a rude comment.

Even Candians hate Quebecois. And again - I apologize for the comment. Uncalled for and a bad generalization.

What's wrong with "Quebecois"?? That's another generalization there, mon ami... I've lived in Montréal, Québec nearly all my life. And although there are a few bad apples who like to put "QC" in their gamertag, I've seen just about the same number of douchebags online that come from other parts of North America, not just Quebec. How many times have I been in a lobby waiting for the game to start, a "QC" gamertag pops up and immediately 2 or 3 idiots start talking trash, using a "fake" french accent and generally being poor human beings...

Bad people are bad people. No need to put labels on them to make yourself feel better.

• BSDShoes
    114 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    RobDangle wrote: »

Well "hate" isn't the appropriate word, but yeah pretty much true.

VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    I've lived in Montréal, Québec nearly all my life.
    Montreal is a unique city compared to the rest of Quebec, Montreal alone is responsible for the past two failed referendums when Quebec wanted to separate from Canada.
  • Archibald3 wrote: »
    Well Rob there's good news and bad news. My friends and i are all huge hockey fans and live in Vancouver as well, also have been playing EA's hockey since 92 or 93.

The bad news: initially, pre release, it was the best online hockey that's ever been so far. Now that it's released it seems once again they have caved to the casuals and thrown the sim settings out the window[/b.

Couldn't agree more
  • BSDShoes wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    I've lived in Montréal, Québec nearly all my life.
    Montreal is a unique city compared to the rest of Quebec, Montreal alone is responsible for the past two failed referendums when Quebec wanted to separate from Canada.

That's neither here nor there, but in reality, it was the referendum side that shot themselves in the foot by (once again) trying to make the question about separation as ambiguous as possible, hoping that the less "informed" citizens might just make an impulsive decision based on party favoritism and spoken tongue.

Luckily, it backfired on both those fronts, and while I do agree that Montreal had a large part to play in thwarting the PQ's plans, it was mostly due to the fact that a lot of the younger and highly educated population resides in more urban locales, where the YES side failed to garner any leads. I had a lot of French speaking friends who voted NO simply on the principle that they understood that the vote wasn't simply a matter of "French vs. English" which is what the PQ was pushing for.

• VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    RobDangle wrote: »

What's wrong with "Quebecois"?? That's another generalization there, mon ami... I've lived in Montréal, Québec nearly all my life. And although there are a few bad apples who like to put "QC" in their gamertag, I've seen just about the same number of douchebags online that come from other parts of North America, not just Quebec. How many times have I been in a lobby waiting for the game to start, a "QC" gamertag pops up and immediately 2 or 3 idiots start talking trash, using a "fake" french accent and generally being poor human beings...

Bad people are bad people. No need to put labels on them to make yourself feel better.

Lmao it was an ironic statement Jesus I forgot how sensitive this forum is.
  • Rob, do yourself a favor and save your money..if you want a Sim style game, this one is definitely not it. If you want arcadey, dangle everyone, never have to pass, spin in circles and never lose the puck while curling the puck behind you so you're basically invincible then glitch wrister 9/10 times then this would be perfect for you. That's 100% honest.