EA Forums - Banner

Network Statistics effect on online lag/delay...

Does the "network stats" option in the game menu actually tell the story on your connection, because it seems very inconsistent to me. For example, I can have a game with a 50ms flat line in the stats and have good crispy game-play, and then play another game with a 35ms flat line and things feel slow and sluggish.

It basically feels like a useless stat and that there are other things that ultimately determine the quality of game you will have. I will say that games against opponents with ridiculously good records feel VERY slow and sluggish on my end while my opponents look like they are jacked up. To me, that's a problem that needs to be sorted out.

Replies

• I absolutely disagree. "Ping" is not the only stat that matters when it comes to judging a quality connection, but it can help minimize getting stuck in a laggy/choppy game. I couldn't be happier with the additional menu tool and use it every game. Helps me weed-out those on wifi connections or those with poor internet speeds. Host or not, as long as the connection is below 30ms, I'm good to go.

Your experience is also based on your network as well. Keep that in mind.

• Its EA's sneaky attempt to deflect the online delay/lag issue, by putting that status in the game they can say "see" it's not us. This status means nothing, I've had games of under 30 ping and zero packets lost and the game still felt delayed and sluggish, to the point I'm destroying my controller pushing the sticks harder and harder because its so non responsive.
  • It means that your connection is good. But that doesn't guarantee that everyone else in the game has a good connection. You are likely experiencing other people's poor connections.
  • RedBull1973JL
    741 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    It means that your connection is good. But that doesn't guarantee that everyone else in the game has a good connection. You are likely experiencing other people's poor connections.

This is kind of how I was leaning with this. Reason I say that is simple. There are games where I don't have any problems, though that time is in the minority. Just the fact that good games do happen SHOULD mean that my connection is not where the problems lie. If my connection was bad then I should NEVER have a game that plays fine and all other PS4/XB1 games should play equally at 5h!tty as this one does.

EA should go fully detailed on their network stats just to see if we can't figure out where the problems are. By detailed I mean UP/DN speeds, ping, jitter, and approximate location, but have it so you can see your opponent's info in real-time as well. That way when your stats look great but the game plays like crap you can look at what your opponent's stats are and see if that's where the problems are coming from.
  • It means that your connection is good. But that doesn't guarantee that everyone else in the game has a good connection. You are likely experiencing other people's poor connections.

This is kind of how I was leaning with this. Reason I say that is simple. There are games where I don't have any problems, though that time is in the minority. Just the fact that good games do happen SHOULD mean that my connection is not where the problems lie. If my connection was bad then I should NEVER have a game that plays fine and all other PS4/XB1 games should play equally at 5h!tty as this one does.

EA should go fully detailed on their network stats just to see if we can't figure out where the problems are. By detailed I mean UP/DN speeds, ping, jitter, and approximate location, but have it so you can see your opponent's info in real-time as well. That way when your stats look great but the game plays like crap you can look at what your opponent's stats are and see if that's where the problems are coming from.

VS/HUT games are P2P. All you can do is make sure everything is setup correctly, on your end. The extra information would help but really, you shouldn't have to do a full network diagnostic, beforehand, in order to play a game.

If you really feel the need to go to this extent, you can set up something similar on a PC to monitor network traffic and even manipulate it, which some scumbags do to force lag-outs and UDP flood their opponents (I'm not going to elaborate as to how, because it's against forum TOS, just mentioning the mechanism to do so). It's not considered "cheating" to monitor network traffic and see real-time data that can help you decide whether a game is worth committing too.

You basically just need a Desktop PC and a dual Ethernet network card or another single NIC. Connect the Xbox Ethernet to 1 port of the Ethernet card and the other is connected to router/modem to the remaining Ethernet port on PC. Then you share your network connection from ISP to the NIC connected to Xbox. You can google search the right steps to do so and following which download a third-party network program to monitor.

• hot-rivit wrote: »
    It means that your connection is good. But that doesn't guarantee that everyone else in the game has a good connection. You are likely experiencing other people's poor connections.

VS/HUT games are P2P. All you can do is make sure everything is setup correctly, on your end. The extra information would help but really, you shouldn't have to do a full network diagnostic, beforehand, in order to play a game.

If you really feel the need to go to this extent, you can set up something similar on a PC to monitor network traffic and even manipulate it, which some scumbags do to force lag-outs and UDP flood their opponents (I'm not going to elaborate as to how, because it's against forum TOS, just mentioning the mechanism to do so). It's not considered "cheating" to monitor network traffic and see real-time data that can help you decide whether a game is worth committing too.

You basically just need a Desktop PC and a dual Ethernet network card or another single NIC. Connect the Xbox Ethernet to 1 port of the Ethernet card and the other is connected to router/modem to the remaining Ethernet port on PC. Then you share your network connection from ISP to the NIC connected to Xbox. You can google search the right steps to do so and following which download a third-party network program to monitor.

This is basically what I am looking for here...and just maybe I can see why 5h!t happens the way it does in the game. I see you mentioned Xbox, but I am on PS4. I'm assuming it's just as simple as plugging in the PS4 instead, or is there some Microsoft thing going on where this only works with Xbox?

So, if want to google this what would I call what I am trying to do in order to get the best results?

This is basically what I am looking for here...and just maybe I can see why 5h!t happens the way it does in the game. I see you mentioned Xbox, but I am on PS4. I'm assuming it's just as simple as plugging in the PS4 instead, or is there some Microsoft thing going on where this only works with Xbox?

So, if want to google this what would I call what I am trying to do in order to get the best results?

Here's a good link, https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/connect-live-using-pc

Just ignore the fact that its xbox. It applies the same if it were PS4. Assuming you have a windows PC.

Here's a good program to use to monitor network traffic. axence.net/en/axence-nettools/

hot-rivit wrote: »

Here's a good link, https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/connect-live-using-pc

Just ignore the fact that its xbox. It applies the same if it were PS4. Assuming you have a windows PC.

Here's a good program to use to monitor network traffic. axence.net/en/axence-nettools/

Thanks for the suggestion. I am in the process right now of trying to figure out the program. A lot of this is above and beyond my internet knowledge, so if anybody can tell me where to find the connection-to-opponent information that would be great, because none of it is obvious to me. Does this show up automatically somewhere or do you have to fish around for it or initiate a connection of sorts to see it?