EA Forums - Banner

How is it the beta is better than the actual released game?

Prev13
PierreMcGurire
15 posts Member
edited September 2016
I just don't understand why they made so many adjustments prior to release when the game was pretty much near perfect IMO. Some minor things needed to be tuned a little. We need a stick lift to counter the brutal hold right stick out when you have the puck to make your guy invincible to hits and poke checks. It needs to be patched ASAP. So many situations when a stick lift would be the perfect play but instead i pokecheck and get a tripping penalty. I've recently began just putting my player in front of the opponents stick in hope that it hits my skate and he loses it. It's ridiculous and it needs to be changed.

Replies

• the game needs minor tune ups from what I can see.. mind you I have not played every mode yet,but a nice patch is due within the next month for sure
  • I just don't understand why they made so many adjustments prior to release when the game was pretty much near perfect IMO. Some minor things needed to be tuned a little. We need a stick lift to counter the brutal hold right stick out when you have the puck to make your guy invincible to hits and poke checks. It needs to be patched ASAP. So many situations when a stick lift would be the perfect play but instead i pokecheck and get a tripping penalty. I've recently began just putting my player in front of the opponents stick in hope that it hits my skate and he loses it. It's ridiculous and it needs to be changed.

The problem is in the Presets EA is using for online games:

Skating Speed/Acceleration Sliders
    1. preset 3 - 65/65
    2. preset 4 - 50/50

Skating Impact
    1. preset 3 - 0/0
    2. preset 4 - 45/45

Board Effect Puck Carrier
    1. preset 3 - 0/0
    2. preset 4 - 50/50

Preset 3 is what they're using for "competitive" online games. I'd like to hear WHY they decided that ZERO skating impact and ZERO board effect needs to be used for online games. Couldn't they have made it like 15 or 20 for online? Not exactly sim, but hardly 100% arcade nonsense like it is now...
  • The club mates and I noticed this too, we attributed the change in the fact that we just played so much that we got used to it, but if there is physical proof of change in the sliders from beta -> early access -> release thats kind of interesting...hmm.
    GT - T0o HxC 4u
    TN - HOCKEYTOWN
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    I just don't understand why they made so many adjustments prior to release when the game was pretty much near perfect IMO. Some minor things needed to be tuned a little. We need a stick lift to counter the brutal hold right stick out when you have the puck to make your guy invincible to hits and poke checks. It needs to be patched ASAP. So many situations when a stick lift would be the perfect play but instead i pokecheck and get a tripping penalty. I've recently began just putting my player in front of the opponents stick in hope that it hits my skate and he loses it. It's ridiculous and it needs to be changed.

The problem is in the Presets EA is using for online games:

Skating Speed/Acceleration Sliders
    1. preset 3 - 65/65
    2. preset 4 - 50/50

Skating Impact
    1. preset 3 - 0/0
    2. preset 4 - 45/45

Board Effect Puck Carrier
    1. preset 3 - 0/0
    2. preset 4 - 50/50

Preset 3 is what they're using for "competitive" online games. I'd like to hear WHY they decided that ZERO skating impact and ZERO board effect needs to be used for online games. Couldn't they have made it like 15 or 20 for online? Not exactly sim, but hardly 100% arcade nonsense like it is now...

It could be a few other things beyond those settings. There's definitely been a change to the speed eg. it's faster now, but also less fatigue or something. One of the problems is that with a lower "fatigue effect" slider setting people can basically hustle all over the ice and never suffer what the more realistic fatigue effect accomplishes. Most of us who enjoy realistic settings put that slider fairly high, otherwise you get that "arcady" effect to the gameplay, and racing up and down the ice constantly type gameplay.

If you actually watch real hockey you'll notice that when one of your players, even the superstars does an fast end to end rush, maybe twice in rare instances, he's totally gassed and heads to the bench. The way they have the settings now it gives the kids the ability to race around all over the place for several minutes at a time. Combined with the overall speed/puck control this has the effect of rendering much of the realism EA has tried to inject into the game thrown out the window.

It's frustrating that they keep using these unrealistic settings for online play because offline you can craft up a really realistic game. Just as an example: with all the puck control settings brought way down players will lose the puck if they skate into the boards, pivot to sharply, try to do fancy dekes and spinaramas with scrub players etc. The casuals don't realize it may seem a little frustrating at first, but ultimately these realistic setting, when applied across all the sliders, results in amazing, unpredictable, skirmish filled action , and in all zones on the ice. No game is ever the same and it all but eliminates this race up the ice, race down the ice predictable gameplay.
  • I just don't understand why they made so many adjustments prior to release when the game was pretty much near perfect IMO. Some minor things needed to be tuned a little. We need a stick lift to counter the brutal hold right stick out when you have the puck to make your guy invincible to hits and poke checks. It needs to be patched ASAP. So many situations when a stick lift would be the perfect play but instead i pokecheck and get a tripping penalty. I've recently began just putting my player in front of the opponents stick in hope that it hits my skate and he loses it. It's ridiculous and it needs to be changed.

Agreed.

Couldn't agree more
  • I really hope it's not something as greasy and them knowing mostly hardcore fans will play the beta and early access. So they put the settings to somethings we're gonna love. Then once they've got our sale and the game is released, they switch the settings to something for the casual people to get them too.
  • That reeks a lot of what happened last year with the "poke check experiment" that they tried for a day. They basically turned poke-check spamming into the penalty button (and rightfully so) for a day, and when all the spammers complained they removed the patch the next day. Such a shame though as for that one day the non-spammers actually had a good experience

I agree that its still way too OP'd, but I take SOME MINOR solace in the fact that we can at least knock them down if we get the right angle...whereas before they were completely invincible. Catering to the scrubs has gotta stop. Week 1 of the beta was some of the best hockey I've enjoyed from an EA game in a LONG time
  • do people not realize, its just because you play more, that over time you change the way you play so the game feels different ?

EA really didnt change that much, we should get the sticky from the other forums for the patch notes. It was very minimal and definitely not noticeable other then stick tie ups.
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • The beta really was awesome I was so impressed. Then I got 3 quick wins in draft champions and game 4 someone is just gliding protecting the puck or holding the right stick against the boards.

Game changers and streamers probably got tired of having to play realistic hockey so EA just reverted back to NHL 16.
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    do people not realize, its just because you play more, that over time you change the way you play so the game feels different ?

EA really didnt change that much, we should get the sticky from the other forums for the patch notes. It was very minimal and definitely not noticeable other then stick tie ups.

But EA did change things. Just look at the summary of changes that were made with the 1st patch/tuner update. There were many gameplay changes that occurred and it affected other aspects of the game, in some cases for the worse.

And yet you casually throw these facts aside and tell people "just git gud"... That's why people are giving you such a hard time. You said you're usually a pretty reasonable guy, but in all your 42 posts here we've only seen you be anything BUT reasonable.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    do people not realize, its just because you play more, that over time you change the way you play so the game feels different ?

But EA did change things. Just look at the summary of changes that were made with the 1st patch/tuner update. There were many gameplay changes that occurred and it affected other aspects of the game, in some cases for the worse.

And yet you casually throw these facts aside and tell people "just git gud"... That's why people are giving you such a hard time. You said you're usually a pretty reasonable guy, but in all your 42 posts here we've only seen you be anything BUT reasonable.

Preach. I believe people can honestly be blissfully ignorant...but blind denial is something else. Now you and I know the reason for that.
  • I'm one of the people who really think the game has changed drastically since the beta and I don't get why, as soon as the Beta ended I preordered the super deluxe edition because finally, I had the NHL game I've wanted on new gen consoles but this is not what I preordered, this "final" version isn't close to what I thought I was buying and it's devastating knowing I spent a lot of money on a game that isn't what was advertised in the beta. I know the sales have to be struggling because A. I know a ton of people who skipped this year and I'm sure my friend group aren't the only people skipping this year and B. The game is already on sale on the PS Store, 2 weeks after its release. The only other times I've seen that is when games do struggle with sales on release. I have been talking to social media guy from ea in comments from videos they post on Facebook and he keeps asking for video of what we are having problems with. I find the AI absolutely atrocious from what they were like in the Beta and he keeps saying barely anything has been changed and showed what they "fixed" but what they "fixed" is what's wrong in my opinion, they can not defend opponents rushing in, they have no idea where to be on the ice that I keep skating into them, the list goes on. The fact that goalie overalls truly mean nothing at all, I have Rask in HUT and he always and I mean always lets in at least 3-6 goals a game with shots being in the range of 15-25, franchise mode I can't even enjoy because the difficulty between pro and allstar is light years in the difference, the last game I had it was 2-0 for the other team with 2 shots in, a minute into the game. They keep saying they don't see any problems with the game but it actually boggles my mind how they can't, how can they not get frustrated with terrible AI online, how can they not get frustrated with goalies letting in so many weak goals. This is a lengthy rant and I'm not even mad.... just disappointed
  • I also can not get the puck from people if they are in my zone, every time I poke check the puck it goes to another person on their team, and they just skate around protecting the puck of hold their stick out and I can't check them off the puck, I can't stick left because 90% of the time it's a penalty or doesn't connect. If they come in on a breakaway you can't catch up and again, 90% of the time they score. If they are coming in on a 1 on 2, the defence either skate forward and let them pass them or they are skating backwards and they player coming in on the rush fly past them. I have multiple videos of that happening and have posted them in comments on their videos on Facebook. The passing is very inaccurate at times not going any where near where I'm holding my stick to. The puck pickup is horrible at times and I also have videos of that, that the community manager on Facebook has seen and says was passed on to the devs. My brother who basically only plays these games and is very good at them, currently on a 13 game win streak in HUT, has said multiple times that this game is so different from the Beta. I can not wait for a patch and I hope it comes out very soon because I want to play what I thought I spent my 129.99 on, not this game full of bugs.
  • I also forgot about this one, your lines not changing on the fly. At least a dozen games now where my defense or forwards are literally completely drained and will not get off the ice. Only if there is a whistle
  • I was in a game earlier where there was 15 minutes left in the period, the opponents team didn't have a line change yet, I took control of one of my defensivemen made him get off. Fresh guy comes on. The opponent breaks out into a rush with a guy who was on at that point for 6 minutes (John Carlson) my guy (Seabrook) couldn't catch-up to him. A fresh guy who was on for 30 seconds compared to a guy on the ice for 6 minutes
  • I also forgot about this one, your lines not changing on the fly. At least a dozen games now where my defense or forwards are literally completely drained and will not get off the ice. Only if there is a whistle
    Change your own lines then, eh bud? o:)
    Sounds like you are just bad to be honest.
  • Workin_OT wrote: »
    I also forgot about this one, your lines not changing on the fly. At least a dozen games now where my defense or forwards are literally completely drained and will not get off the ice. Only if there is a whistle

So if auto line changes don't work, you suggest manual line changes instead of acknowledging that there could be a problem???

Wish there were thousands of users like you on the forums. Your help is beyond calculating its worth.
  • RazorRamon709
    60 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Workin_OT wrote: »
    I also forgot about this one, your lines not changing on the fly. At least a dozen games now where my defense or forwards are literally completely drained and will not get off the ice. Only if there is a whistle

I do change my own lines, I change my own straighties and everything. Still doesn't mean they get off the ice when I change them. Eh bud