EA Forums - Banner

Ok I quit

Prev1345
Sorry, game is unplayable in the UK, got a record of 10-50 just can't compete against the Finns and the glitchy problems it causes.

Can't win faceoffs usually 3-30
Passes just don't hit
Players are sluggish and don't respond
Can't get shots on target, when you do it's superman keepers.
PLayers just stand around and don't move into space.

Replies

• So, why did you post this here? Do you think someone will give you a secret code for lagfree matches?

Are you saying you are lagging against finns only? If lag happens, usually the other guy is having lag too. Sounds like you think only you are lagging while the other guy can do whatever he wants because he is not lagging. Maybe you are not as good as they are?

/logic
  • Nope, this post sums it up perfectly, game is unplayable in the UK

eyebrowz84 wrote:
    I'm so glad it's not just me!
    I got NHL 17 free of charge from EA after complaining that Finland is unplayable from the UK last year. Once I threatened litigation (after being refused a refund) they gave me a bunch of free stuff to quiet down. Anyway, I will bet ANY takers 1,000,000 coins that I can identify within 5 minutes whether they are from Finland or not. I may as well be playing an entirely different game - it is THAT unique of an experience. The main features of a game against a Finn are;

Your stick is a 'ghost'. Much like the nerfed stick lift, pokechecks will pass through the player and puck as if you're a ghost.

Turning is painfully slow, especially defending one on ones. Your skaters are a split second slower.
    The opponent has a super-poke, which they can use to strip you of the puck from 10 feet away. They're pretty particularly good at pokechecks from behind, which pass through your body.
    Faceoffs? Forget them. The annoying guide will tell me 'great timing' every time but if I win more than 20% of draws it's a miracle. Again, upon replay the stick passes straight through the opponents and the puck. Even if I try and spam the tie up, it won't work.
    Battles/incidental collisions will ALWAYS result in the opponent winning the puck. Like it's magnetised in their favour.
    The AI: They're lost. I mean so far out of position it's hilarious. Your D will both head behind the net to chase one guy on the PP, leaving it open for the inevitable one-time goal. The forwards make a point out of trying to skate the exact same lanes, leading to friendly collisions every other rush (on the rare occasion you get possession). Goaltenders may as well not bother with their positions.
    Figure skaters: POPULAR MISCONCEPTION. What you're experiencing is a combination of the above. Being slow, unable to jostle and taking 7 attempts to select the correct player means that they can skate around you with ease. I've been messaged numerous times by Finn's who think it's weirdly easy to skate by me and ask if I've got lag. My time on attack is usually around 3 mins to their 11.
    The sad thing is, it's actually got worse. Exactly the same problems as last year but feel amplified. Last year I could kind of compensate with solid D, but this year I'm regularly getting done over 9-2 or similar, usually giving up 18 shots or so. EA know about this issue but are either not skilled enough or have no desire to fix it. Utterly, utterly pathetic. I shouldn't have to guess from the username if it's a Finn then try searching for a game over and over until I'm lucky enough to get a Czech or Dane for example. The game is great when it's smooth, but despite great network stats it's NEVER smooth against Finland.
    Every single one of my friends in the UK reports the same issue. I challenge ANY representative from EA to try and justify producing the exact same fault as last year or tell me I'm wrong. Fix it or start refunding those who pump money into this game.
  • wow that's crazy.. I never experienced lag like that. I am from NY
  • ESPOtheDON wrote: »
    wow that's crazy.. I never experienced lag like that. I am from NY

It's not noticeable as lag.

Like the original poster said it's just a different game against Finns.

Any other nation and it's fine.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    So how does your connection quality look like with the dasdardly Finnish opponents?

I haven't played HUT online yet, but we (Finnish team) get similar issues in EASHL too, even when playing Swedes or other Finns. The other teams just has the edge in everything, even with how the puck bounces, it seems. When you get a game like that, we can only try to hang in there. We've lost games like 0 to 10 with the opponent scoring with their first two shots.

Somebeody mentioned that Finns have the best / fastest Internet connections in the world, I just dont' believe that is the case anymore, it's just a myth, and other countries have passed us in tech infra. My connection is VDSL 100/10 nothing special. I imagine its' average at best?

One thing you have to consider is that apparently there are quite a few Finnish players who have multiple accounts for farming coins or something. I am not really sure how it works, but one guy boasted he had eight accounts, for collecting coins. Bad sport to be sure, but it occurs to me that if this is really going on, it might be a lot of the annoying Finns are in fact fairly small bunch using different accos? Just a wild guess?
  • I don't blame the finns, it's jsut impossible to play against you guys..

There IS a problem that seems to get amped up every release and it's terrible now. If I avoid Finns, just going on the tag, you get a decent game that feels how it should. Don't do that and all the above happens.

If you could region block countries then the problem would be solved.

As for Internet quality it's just a guess really but something is wrong. Like it has been said many times by UK players Finland is a big problem for us. Germany/Sweden/Denmark/France etc etc no problem.

It's not the puck farmers that's the problem, it's the gameplay
  • I think you need to calm down and realize it's just a game find some fun in it. That's what my wife would tell me she is a smart lady and a doctor. A video game shouldnt cause you stress it should be a stress release. Play some DC refine your skills and then go dominate seasons.
  • h8ttrick wrote: »
    I think you need to calm down and realize it's just a game find some fun in it. That's what my wife would tell me she is a smart lady and a doctor. A video game shouldnt cause you stress it should be a stress release. Play some DC refine your skills and then go dominate seasons.

I am calm, it's a problem because as anyone from the UK will tell you 90% of the time we get matched up with Finnish players which unlike the old gen 360 you could see what country your oponent was from so you could just avoid and try to get a game with someone else.

I got up to Div 2 last season winning more games than losing, this year I am at 81-50 in Div 8. It's early days but I am finding myself just putting the controller down more often because you can't compete the game doesn't allow you to.
  • h8ttrick
    1661 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    I guess parents just don't understand. I'm sorry your playing experience is like that I have only played like 30 or 40 games and am in div 7 or 6 I can't remember maybe div 5??? I'm not sure but we have to deal with kids from Quebec and kids from the state of hockey, Minnesota, where all they want to do is win and will do sketchy things like IP boot you. So really your Finnish play problem isn't that big also with that win to loss ratio you should be in a higher division.

Also I'm not generalizing that every person from places mentioned above does that. A few bad apples doesn't spoil the entire bunch. I have played plenty of great games against people from Quebec and alot of them play a very good game same with the Minnesotans.
  • h8ttrick wrote: »
    I guess parents just don't understand. I'm sorry your playing experience is like that I have only played like 30 or 40 games and am in div 7 or 6 I can't remember maybe div 5??? I'm not sure but we have to deal with kids from Quebec and kids from the state of hockey, Minnesota, where all they want to do is win and will do sketchy things like IP boot you. So really your Finnish play problem isn't that big also with that win to loss ratio you should be in a higher division.

Also I'm not generalizing that every person from places mentioned above does that. A few bad apples doesn't spoil the entire bunch. I have played plenty of great games against people from Quebec and alot of them play a very good game same with the Minnesotans.

You're not listening to what the guy is saying. He's not complaining about the way Finns play. He's saying that when he plays teams from Finland, he can't play the game it was designed to be played. That's not fun. It's not enjoyable. So saying "find some fun in it" is useless advice. When you're two steps behind your opponent, and pokechecks pass through pucks, and your AI is constantly out of position, it's impossible to have a good time.

• Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Yes, we get he's blaming some technical issue, and not the players themselves. But why would Finns be any different from Swedes or Russian... what makes our Internet connections so bothersome? I would imagine our routes are much the same as our neighbouring countries' and I bet there's plenty of fast connections in other countries as well. So I am very curious what would cause this? Can you be 100% sure you've had NO issues with Swedish players? And how would you be able to tell?

With the multiple accounts I meant what is what if such a person has a quick connection too, he'd be causing grief with multiple accounts if he used them all to play? Of course there's only so much time one can use for gaming, but they sound pretty 'special' anyways.

It would be sad if super-quick Internets was the way to get an upper hand in this game, another way of 'pay to win' I guess?

EDIT: and did say how fast connection you have?
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Yes, we get he's blaming some technical issue, and not the players themselves. But why would Finns be any different from Swedes or Russian... what makes our Internet connections so bothersome? I would imagine our routes are much the same as our neighbouring countries' and I bet there's plenty of fast connections in other countries as well. So I am very curious what would cause this? Can you be 100% sure you've had NO issues with Swedish players? And how would you be able to tell?

With the multiple accounts I meant what is what if such a person has a quick connection too, he'd be causing grief with multiple accounts if he used them all to play? Of course there's only so much time one can use for gaming, but they sound pretty 'special' anyways.

It would be sad if super-quick Internets was the way to get an upper hand in this game, another way of 'pay to win' I guess?

EDIT: and did say how fast connection you have?

I can only comment from experience and others from the UK.

We simply have "technical issues" against Finns.

Sweden, no problem.

I am not a techy guy but there is something wrong.

I don't know what the issue is all I can say is that it is there.

If there are any Finns who want to play against me to talk through and discuss the issues whilst playing and explaining then thats cool. Lets do it.
  • Connection speeds are a non issue methinks but I have a 20gb internet speed
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Is that 20 gbps download? What about up?
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Yes, we get he's blaming some technical issue, and not the players themselves. But why would Finns be any different from Swedes or Russian... what makes our Internet connections so bothersome?

I don't know why he and others have so much trouble with Finnish connections. But I'm in the Northeast US, and games against players from Quebec are more likely to have lag than games against other players. So what he's saying sounds totally plausible to me.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Yes but you have to realise Europe is relatively small geographically, there are many countries within the area, so it is hard to understand why it would be particularily Finns who cause such grief?

20 gbps would be really fast, you have to realise in Finland most people are still on copper connections, optical lines are rare. And in European scale Finland is very sparsely populated, and with old infra as far as telecoms are concerned, so less than half have nowhere near decent connections. I think that is a common misconception youse people have, on account of Nokia etc.

What if the issue is they have horrible connections, and it's lag correction which causes the issues on the player FASTER connection?
  • ^this this is it right there!
  • IMO I don't think it has anything to do with finns.
    If ur game lags, it's usually on both sides of the game. Now momentum is entirely different animal. I can go through 5-6 games that are flawless and then I'll play someone with a startup squad and have my behind whooped.
    Just this morning trying to clinch a division, I missed 2 empty nets and hit the posts 6-7 times.
    I'm NY, so it's not the Finns it's the programming.
    I bleed hockey!!!!!!!!!!
  • Guys, I can only tell you that it categorically IS an issue relating to UK to Finland connection. I'm not talking traditional 'lag'. You can get that any time and accept it's a sucky part of the game. The experience that the OP, I and many others complain about is different. It's unique to the point you know your opponent is Finnish. I need to be clear - you can't blame the opponent in Finland. They don't do anything to contribute and generally play decent hockey. It's an issue with the connection and it is frankly WEIRD how it is exclusive to Finland. You CAN'T find fun in it because it becomes unplayable. If it was real life hockey I'd compare it to you being put out on the ice in blunt skates, no stick and one hand tied behind your back.

OP - I've been dealing with a rep at EA for over a year. Happy to put you in touch. Last year after they drew a blank on resolving it, I got fobbed off with Toews, Kane, Ovechkin, Crosby, packs and a free copy of NHL 17 as compensation. This year I'm not being brushed off again. Until they fix it, this game isn't fit for sale in the UK and this is covered in new legislation enacted September 2015 designed to cover digital content. At very least you're entitled to a refund on all money invested in the game. The guys are helpful enough and nice people but sadly don't get the backing from Devs they deserve.

I know there's guys out there who think this is sore losing/lack of skill/whatever and will troll. Carry on. I would bet my house that, given some of the reactions to minor issues on here, there would be absolute anarchy if you had the issue in NA. If you're ever in the UK I could change your perception in three games, guaranteed. EA need to separate Finland from the UK as right now NHL 17 is embarrassing.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    And how would EA 'separate Finland from the UK' exactly, sounds tricky? Would they even be able to since apparently HUT is PvP? And some Finns use US accos anyways (if that has any bearing on it?)

What I would like to know is whether in these cases of UK-FI game, did the Finnish player encounter any lag? Or was it just on your side? That's why I offered to play a test game on the PS4. Or are you guys on Xbox?