EA Forums - Banner

Overpowered sticks

Prev13
Its almost impossible to get a great game play online when the sticks checks are way to overpowered. You cant almost not dribble the defence anymore. They only poke check and the attack is over before it started.
And its same all over the ice hockey rink.
With other words its more or less impossible to play great only to destroy the game with the stick. And lifting the stick dont work at all. You got penalty always.
Cheers I hope you fix the game becuase I think its great beside of that.

Replies

• Sorry bud, but that's hockey. If you're getting stick checked, then it's because you're doing something wrong. You either have to protect the puck with your body, or perform a deke if you let a defender get close to you. In real life forwards are either doing what I just said, but most likely they're dishing the puck to a teammate instead which is what can cause a defense to breakdown.
  • I believe stick check spam should have a slight delay between the spams or making it more erratic behavior resulting in more tripping penalties. But with the current state of the pathetic Stick Lift being broken this poke spam needs to stay overpowered. My only problem is the pokes from behind working way too good, but other than that as a Playmaker I can avoid those pokers.

• ColonScoper
    157 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Follisimo wrote: »
    I believe stick check spam should have a slight delay between the spams or making it more erratic behavior resulting in more tripping penalties. But with the current state of the pathetic Stick Lift being broken this poke spam needs to stay overpowered. My only problem is the pokes from behind working way too good, but other than that as a Playmaker I can avoid those pokers.

OR get this (this idea is a little crazy so you may want to sit down) why don't they just let users aim their own poke checks using the analog stick? We've only been asking for that for YEARS.

Edit: A-n-a-l-o-g is a dirty word apparently.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    I believe stick check spam should have a slight delay between the spams or making it more erratic behavior resulting in more tripping penalties. But with the current state of the pathetic Stick Lift being broken this poke spam needs to stay overpowered. My only problem is the pokes from behind working way too good, but other than that as a Playmaker I can avoid those pokers.

It's super easy to get around spammers though. You just let them spam their way right out of position. All you have to do is control your players speed with the puck and slow down the play.

It's super easy to get around spammers though. You just let them spam their way right out of position. All you have to do is control your players speed with the puck and slow down the play.

This. If you can get the defenseman to stop moving or to slow down, you will be able to do whatever you want with the puck as long as there's no backcheckers. The way skating is, you can't precisely control your speed as you attempt to slow down as you used to be able to. Especially while skating backwards.
  • I would love to be able to aim where I want with a pokecheck, but this game doesnt believe in user control. Also in regards to toning down pokecheck, I agree in only 2 instances. If your back is completely turned to me, you should never be able to poke the puck away from me, ridiculous. Secondly, pokechecking while skating should slow you down considerably. As it is now you dont lose any speed as far as I know while constantly poking as you skate up the ice, you shouldnt be able to keep up with a puck carrier if youre constantly poking.
  • mikeq67 wrote: »
    I would love to be able to aim where I want with a pokecheck, but this game doesnt believe in user control. Also in regards to toning down pokecheck, I agree in only 2 instances. If your back is completely turned to me, you should never be able to poke the puck away from me, ridiculous. Secondly, pokechecking while skating should slow you down considerably. As it is now you dont lose any speed as far as I know while constantly poking as you skate up the ice, you shouldnt be able to keep up with a puck carrier if youre constantly poking.

Poke check does slow your player down! You stop skating when the poke check is activated!

Test and observe: when an opposing team is skating up the ice poke check and you will see you will lose astride but this also depends on the other players size, player type, hustling, no hustling, your hustle your player size etc.

Many factors to consider!
    You must unlearn what you have learned!

I don't suffer from problems. I always think about the average user in mind. And let's be honest in real hockey if you mess up your poke check with a reaching attempt while the player has speed then he would blow by you. That isn't the case in a video game though.

• Poke checks aren't effective enough IMO. You poke the puck off people and it tractor beams right back to them or go directly to one of their teammates. It needs to be more effective for defenseman. If you're skating right into someone then you deserve to lose the puck.
  • phil7488 wrote: »
    Poke checks aren't effective enough IMO. You poke the puck off people and it tractor beams right back to them or go directly to one of their teammates. It needs to be more effective for defenseman. If you're skating right into someone then you deserve to lose the puck.

can we agree though, it is more effective then last year ?
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    phil7488 wrote: »
    Poke checks aren't effective enough IMO. You poke the puck off people and it tractor beams right back to them or go directly to one of their teammates. It needs to be more effective for defenseman. If you're skating right into someone then you deserve to lose the puck.

Has nothing to do with effectiveness. The puck behaves erratically and illogically when a poke is successful. Most times the player picks it right back up or it goes to another player of the opposing team so I do not know why you consider it to be more effective.

Has nothing to do with effectiveness. The puck behaves erratically and illogically when a poke is successful. Most times the player picks it right back up or it goes to another player of the opposing team so I do not know why you consider it to be more effective.

I dunno if i agree with that, I have been having much more success with it compared to other years.

I can tell many didnt use it as much in previous years, so maybe this is new to them, so they arent use to the way it operates.

Dont get me wrong there are times where your like **** but for the most part its much better.

COGSx86 wrote: »

I dunno if i agree with that, I have been having much more success with it compared to other years.

I can tell many didnt use it as much in previous years, so maybe this is new to them, so they arent use to the way it operates.

Dont get me wrong there are times where your like **** but for the most part its much better.

Initial contact is better, but the result is not. You claim to have played a high level of hockey. Can you tell me how many times you poked a players stick that was in front of you, but the puck actually went backwards and behind you? Basic physics will tell you all day that it is illogical and MIGHT happen maybe less than half a percent of the time? Or how many times the puck is just magically poked to one of his team mates, directly on the tape? Come on man, open your eyes.

Yeah at the very least you can draw a penalty, if not the player out of position
    COGSx86 wrote: »

Listen Cogs you and I dont see eye to eye but I'll make an effort to be more respectful, because we are part of the same brotherhood after all. I have to say the puck does seem to move in directions that defy physics, and inertia and momentum upon being poked. The worst is the clip poke THROUGH the legs and torso not only not causing a penalty, but somehow knocking the puck backwards, like a magnetic stick.
  • Its almost impossible to get a great game play online when the sticks checks are way to overpowered. You cant almost not dribble the defence anymore. They only poke check and the attack is over before it started.
    And its same all over the ice hockey rink.
    With other words its more or less impossible to play great only to destroy the game with the stick. And lifting the stick dont work at all. You got penalty always.
    Cheers I hope you fix the game becuase I think its great beside of that.

Learn to deke and spam puck protect.
  • Dump and chase works extremely well in this game. Not directed at you OP but it's amazing how terrible some people are at stopping the cycle game and covering the points, perhaps people need to move the puck more and create space as opposed to dangle fairying.
  • MRW when reading OPs post with Full Time D man eyes: "please oh please please please don't mess with poke checking"
    **** it's the first time in a few years where I feel useful again. I don't feel like I'm out there playing with a wet spaghetti noodle as opposed to a sturdy hockey stick anymore. I can actually be more aggressive towards the puck carrier. In the past, once poke gets nerfed, I had to sit back and wait a little longer for an opening, play position more often and hope for an interception or the FWD to make a mistake.
    For the love of God don't tone it down.