EA Forums - Banner

Overpowered sticks

Replies

• Follisimo wrote: »
    Follisimo wrote: »
    I believe stick check spam should have a slight delay between the spams or making it more erratic behavior resulting in more tripping penalties. But with the current state of the pathetic Stick Lift being broken this poke spam needs to stay overpowered. My only problem is the pokes from behind working way too good, but other than that as a Playmaker I can avoid those pokers.

It's super easy to get around spammers though. You just let them spam their way right out of position. All you have to do is control your players speed with the puck and slow down the play.

I don't suffer from problems. I always think about the average user in mind. And let's be honest in real hockey if you mess up your poke check with a reaching attempt while the player has speed then he would blow by you. That isn't the case in a video game though.

Well we always talk about increasing the skill gap, and this is clearly one example that can be used. :)

But in regards to the second aspect of your statement, I also agree. The issue is that the only stick tool a defenseman has in a 1 on 1 situation is the pokecheck. In reality, it is extremely rare to see a defenseman lunge towards a forward skating attacker because you get burned by anyone that knows what they are doing.

Instead, you know as well as I do, a defensemen will use a stick sweep and stick positioning to force a forward one way or another. We don't have that control in this game.

So the only way that they can maintain a level of reasonable defensive play is to reduce the punishment for pokechecking.

I personally would really like to see a much bigger punishment for incorrectly poking, but there has to be other ways to play defense first. Only when you can effectively coral players into areas using non-pokechecking stick play should punishment for overusing the button be implemented. This type of defense is already in the game in some aspects, but needs to be fleshed out considerably

• trw1987 wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    phil7488 wrote: »
    Poke checks aren't effective enough IMO. You poke the puck off people and it tractor beams right back to them or go directly to one of their teammates. It needs to be more effective for defenseman. If you're skating right into someone then you deserve to lose the puck.

can we agree though, it is more effective then last year ?

Has nothing to do with effectiveness. The puck behaves erratically and illogically when a poke is successful. Most times the player picks it right back up or it goes to another player of the opposing team so I do not know why you consider it to be more effective.

I dunno if i agree with that, I have been having much more success with it compared to other years.

I can tell many didnt use it as much in previous years, so maybe this is new to them, so they arent use to the way it operates.

Dont get me wrong there are times where your like **** but for the most part its much better.

Listen Cogs you and I dont see eye to eye but I'll make an effort to be more respectful, because we are part of the same brotherhood after all. I have to say the puck does seem to move in directions that defy physics, and inertia and momentum upon being poked. The worst is the clip poke THROUGH the legs and torso not only not causing a penalty, but somehow knocking the puck backwards, like a magnetic stick.

https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/81510/2-simple-gameplay-design-flaws#latest
  • I just laugh to myself when I see people trying to deke through 4 defenders at the blueline over and over again instead of playing hockey and knowing when to switch up your attack to behind the net and DUMP the frigging puck in.

Now some people can dangle pretty good and know how to control their speed to make it tough to defend, but those people are few and far between.

For the rest of you that can't play like Dangle McDangles, try dumping the puck in and going in and getting it and using the GD points which no one seem to defend.
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    Poke checks aren't effective enough IMO. You poke the puck off people and it tractor beams right back to them or go directly to one of their teammates. It needs to be more effective for defenseman. If you're skating right into someone then you deserve to lose the puck.

Maybe from behind but definitely not face to face.
  • To be honest I didn't have trouble with the old poke checking. It had a specific timing to it. I usually had to hit the button 2 maybe 3 times and if I didn't get my stick on it by that time, the gap closed to either a stick lift or a body check which disrupted the play. All of this while keeping the defender wide allowed you to be effective. The main thing I don't like about the poke checking this year and last is the way forwards could get random poke checks even if they're not in a great position or even looking at the puck. That's the main thing that irks me.

I'd just prefer us having to aim our own poke checks though. That's the ideal situation for me. Stick lifts have been atrocious for a while now. I can't remember when they changed them, but they used to be a lot more useful. When you were in position to make them, you did, if you did it at the wrong time you either missed or took a penalty and you didn't see the sword fights that we had recently. I used to use stick lifts a lot on players where we're about to receive a pass too.
  • COGSx86
    785 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    trw1987 wrote: »

Has nothing to do with effectiveness. The puck behaves erratically and illogically when a poke is successful. Most times the player picks it right back up or it goes to another player of the opposing team so I do not know why you consider it to be more effective.

I dunno if i agree with that, I have been having much more success with it compared to other years.

I can tell many didnt use it as much in previous years, so maybe this is new to them, so they arent use to the way it operates.

Dont get me wrong there are times where your like **** but for the most part its much better.

Listen Cogs you and I dont see eye to eye but I'll make an effort to be more respectful, because we are part of the same brotherhood after all. I have to say the puck does seem to move in directions that defy physics, and inertia and momentum upon being poked. The worst is the clip poke THROUGH the legs and torso not only not causing a penalty, but somehow knocking the puck backwards, like a magnetic stick.

Oh I agree the chip tool is broken and doesnt work very well. Thats why I never use it personally.

But the poke check is a totally different feature.
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • MRW when reading OPs post with Full Time D man eyes: "please oh please please please don't mess with poke checking"
    **** it's the first time in a few years where I feel useful again. I don't feel like I'm out there playing with a wet spaghetti noodle as opposed to a sturdy hockey stick anymore. I can actually be more aggressive towards the puck carrier. In the past, once poke gets nerfed, I had to sit back and wait a little longer for an opening, play position more often and hope for an interception or the FWD to make a mistake.
    For the love of God don't tone it down.

Good to hear, from fellow users, that are enjoying the new enhanced poke check
  • being challenged by the stick? pass or dump the puck. Its that easy.
  • being challenged by the stick? pass or dump the puck. Its that easy.

Go figure right ? Basic hockey! Most are upset because they cant dipsy doddle all over the ice.
    being challenged by the stick? pass or dump the puck. Its that easy.

Go figure right ? Basic hockey! Most are upset because they cant dipsy doddle all over the ice.

you are either a troll or just have no idea what you are talking about.

being challenged by the stick? pass or dump the puck. Its that easy.

you are either a troll or just have no idea what you are talking about.

Only advice you need.
    Get Rid Of The Puck Before You Lose It.

How is that so hard to understand?
    either give it to a teammate, put it on net, or throw it to an area where your team has a good chance to get it. Dont force passes through sticks/bodies unless they are about to hit their own goalie :lol:
  • strategg101
    823 posts Member
    edited October 2016

Initial contact is better, but the result is not. You claim to have played a high level of hockey. Can you tell me how many times you poked a players stick that was in front of you, but the puck actually went backwards and behind you? Basic physics will tell you all day that it is illogical and MIGHT happen maybe less than half a percent of the time? Or how many times the puck is just magically poked to one of his team mates, directly on the tape? Come on man, open your eyes.

That would be good positioning by the opposite team and poor team defensive positioning. A majority of the time I try and poke the puck away, if i see that the direction im poking will possibly send the puck to their team. I will either hit or try and get a different angle. If its a serious scoring area I will risk poking it to the goalie, or to the side of the goal.

I find poking really good this year, but i never really had an issue with it. I have an issue losing the puck to pokechecks, but thats from my own error.

Initial contact is better, but the result is not. You claim to have played a high level of hockey. Can you tell me how many times you poked a players stick that was in front of you, but the puck actually went backwards and behind you? Basic physics will tell you all day that it is illogical and MIGHT happen maybe less than half a percent of the time? Or how many times the puck is just magically poked to one of his team mates, directly on the tape? Come on man, open your eyes.

That would be good positioning by the opposite team and poor team defensive positioning. A majority of the time I try and poke the puck away, if i see that the direction im poking will possibly send the puck to their team. I will either hit or try and get a different angle. If its a serious scoring area I will risk poking it to the goalie, or to the side of the goal.

I find poking really good this year, but i never really had an issue with it. I have an issue losing the puck to pokechecks, but thats from my own error.

Poke checks have no power behind them and their direction after the poke is completely random is wgat he's saying, which is true. You can skating backwards and poke a poke at 12 o clock and it will go to 3 or 5 o clock, or to the nearest player on the other team; or it moves an inch an he picks it back up instantly. Happens constantly.

Poke check accuracy isn't the issue, it's the physics and the lack of power behind most of the pokes, its like your stick has a feather duster at the end of it sometimes.
  • well seeing how poke checks are sometimes the only way to get the puck away from someone they need to be fixed. Seen tonight a guy coming in two on one protecting the puck. I poked the puck from him and it went to his other player ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ICE. It's basically like he passed it to him lol so many times I poke the puck away and it's basically a pass to his player. I have only played one game in two days and it's so upsetting. Hope a patch is soon,#BringBackTheBeta
  • well seeing how poke checks are sometimes the only way to get the puck away from someone they need to be fixed. Seen tonight a guy coming in two on one protecting the puck. I poked the puck from him and it went to his other player ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ICE. It's basically like he passed it to him lol so many times I poke the puck away and it's basically a pass to his player. I have only played one game in two days and it's so upsetting. Hope a patch is soon,#BringBackTheBeta

Yeah this is what I meant in my post, the physics are whack. Poke checks usually go in the direction of the nearest player on the same team, no matter which direction he is to the poking direction.

Oh I agree the chip tool is broken and doesnt work very well. Thats why I never use it personally.

Eh COGS buddy... no one said anything about the chip tool. You must unread what you have read and read it again. He said "clip poke" which is an admittedly odd term to describe the action of poking a poke from behind the puck carrier, having your stick go through his legs (ie. Clipping).

Glad I could clear that up.
  • Santini3 wrote: »

Eh COGS buddy... no one said anything about the chip tool. You must unread what you have read and read it again. He said "clip poke" which is an admittedly odd term to describe the action of poking a poke from behind the puck carrier, having your stick go through his legs (ie. Clipping).

Glad I could clear that up.

LMFAO! Priceless.
  • Sticks aren't overpowered... Stick lifts are broken ... If anything it's bugged as poke checks that are a foot away make no contact with the puck but still push it away..

The skate to stick animations are wack, they warp the puck from a good foot or two away from said skaters foot , through the foot, and to the stick making poke checks less effective .
  • Lynch-CAN wrote: »
    well seeing how poke checks are sometimes the only way to get the puck away from someone they need to be fixed. Seen tonight a guy coming in two on one protecting the puck. I poked the puck from him and it went to his other player ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ICE. It's basically like he passed it to him lol so many times I poke the puck away and it's basically a pass to his player. I have only played one game in two days and it's so upsetting. Hope a patch is soon,#BringBackTheBeta

Yeah this is what I meant in my post, the physics are whack. Poke checks usually go in the direction of the nearest player on the same team, no matter which direction he is to the poking direction.

100% agreed. The puck physics in this game make no sense at all. I love it when you're backing up and the skater is coming in the with puck, you poke it and it should go behind the other player but it ends up going behind you. How is that even possible? The puck seems to find it way to the other teams players way too often when it should be nowhere near them. EA keeps boating about their improved luck psysics but its total garbage.
  • Hotjoint wrote: »
    100% agreed. The puck physics in this game make no sense at all. I love it when you're backing up and the skater is coming in the with puck, you poke it and it should go behind the other player but it ends up going behind you. How is that even possible? The puck seems to find it way to the other teams players way too often when it should be nowhere near them. EA keeps boating about their improved luck psysics but its total garbage.

yes EA's garbage physics is basically having a brain fart. when you poke check there is two motions pushing your stick out away from you and pulling it back. very often the push out away from you goes right through their puck/stick without doing anything or it simply "dislodges" the puck from their control without moving it. And while most the time they just take control right back sometimes on the pull back motion you actually hit the puck. which quite often can really burn you as you attack the carrier poke the puck and watch it shoot down behind you where the carrier that just skated around you ends up and picks it up. Or even worse if this happens in front of your goalie, there's very little chance he will be able to do anything to stop that slow moving puck from going in the net.

but hey according to some people that's how most goals are scored in hockey pucks are carried towards the net, knocked loose, bounce around and the goalie is basically blind and stupid and has no ability to stop that black puck which is moving 5mph along the white ice surface in front of him.