EA Forums - Banner

"NHL 17 Makes Me Mad" by Bacon Country

123457Next

Replies

  • Yep, at the end of the day we are all losers. Any hockey fan who isn't delusional, or a delusional troll, who has any experience with competitive hockey, will always lose when it comes to this series. The more they've tried to implement real skating, the less realistic the hockey produced has been...
  • HipNotiiCx wrote: »
    Yep, at the end of the day we are all losers. Any hockey fan who isn't delusional, or a delusional troll, who has any experience with competitive hockey, will always lose when it comes to this series. The more they've tried to implement real skating, the less realistic the hockey produced has been...

    vi1slx.jpg
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • Know what I did differently this year to save myself the disappointment that EA calls "Hockey"?

    I didn't buy the game...

    There really was no reason to buy it this year.. I've learned from bast betas to not trust the betas..

    You guys keep giving them your money then come on here and complain about it.. Put your money where your mouth is, and back in your pocket..
  • eric57664 wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Santini3 wrote: »

    I'll name one area where 16 was better... turning as a player WITHOUT THE puck is WAY TOO slow compared to NHL16. It gives the puck carrier more agility in key situations while defending. It should be easier to turn WITHOUT the puck than with it.

    Lets see the video, because I could say NHL 04 was better for turning, when you have the puck but until we have empirical evidence, its just hearsay.

    And make sure to include actual NHL clips for comparison.

    Maybe tomorrow I will also do this, then we can compare each others clips.

    Remember, double tap home button>X ;););)

    LMFAO!! Cogs man, seriously. Let it go. Stop hurting yourself.

    Take any NHL footage you want of goalies and compare it to this trash game. That alone is proof enough you can't compare the NHL and this game. There are hundreds of things missing in this game and just common sense should tell you to stop comparing the 2.

    Maybe you could better understand this way: Use the force. Use your brain, maybe you should.

    If it's trash, why are you playing it? Addictive personally? Or did you buy it just so you have something to do (whining about it on the forums)?

    So, if someone doesn't like something, they should just go hide in the shadows and not say anything?

    Happy to see rolling over and taking it like a princess is ingrained into your DNA. Good luck sister.

    Talk about being totally confused. Ha!! Sorry if I did that to you. Didn't mean to, brotha. But I actually like the game. I play it everyday. I enjoy my time with it. Of course it has its gripes but that's every single video game you can ever play.

    But if I don't like the game, I don't continue to play it. I move on and find something better to enjoy my gaming fun with. So the one that's taking it up the rear is you, because you you continue to spend your time with a game that you think is trash and don't do anything about being constructive to help the game get better. You say there's hundreds of things missing yet don't state one. How funny. How productive. How deconstructive.

    People complaining like if they don't change or fix anything right away in the next 24 hrs, you think they are not doing anything. It takes time to make a fix and patch it, and if they don't fix anything you like, you call it trash. Don't you understand that this game has to appeal to everyone? It's still a business and money talks. So if you wanna stop taking like a princess, maybe it's better you wear your Sunday dress to the Tuesday party.

    So if you're going to suggest to someone they take it like a princess, look in the mirror, buddy, because you're giving ea your money every year and hate it but can't stop playing it and come here and post "trash".
    Now that's ironic.

    Thank goodness there's people like this in the world, companies stay afloat with the ones who keep coming back.
  • Eh? Yea sure I can agree that real life experience in hockey does not equate programming knowledge of a video game, gonna have to disagree with every other thing in this post.

    If someone enjoys playing F1 games, then duh, it is a given that that person will not be able to drive a real F1 for a living, but the GAME still obeys rules and laws of physics. It represents the real life sport as much as it can and must say it does it rather well.
    The same cannot be said for this hockey game series. Hockey is a TEAM sport. EA hockey is a dangler's sport. Do you see the AI in F1 games doing burnouts in the grass for fun, or driving the wrong way? Then why does the AI in the NHL series act like they are new to the sport? They can't even break out of their zone. You chose strategies and they don't even follow them. Turning their backs to the puck on the offensive...

    Yea sure call of duty isn't realistic, but the AI does not run around staring at the ground or sky. They point and shoot, as they are supposed to.

    No one is asking for the game to be EXACTLY like a real NHL representation, but I think it is fair to say we all want the game to be consistent and logical.
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    No young man: A hockey video game simulation is to real hockey as Flight Sim X is to Real Flying. That is to say that in both cases, you're expect to be able to use the same real life experience, tactics and know how and apply it to the virtual version with a modicum of success. For example, if I'm a real pilot and play Flight Sim X, I expect that my real life experience will let me get ahead much quicker than someone who just wants to "fly" and do barrel rolls into a mountain or crash dive into the sea because pfffffffffffffff... I can do whatever I want, the game doesn't care!

    Both of these examples are pretty poor comparisons, and if you are expecting similar outcomes in these types of games, as you are in a hockey game, then it explains why you might be disappointed.

    In both cases, virtually all movements are performed by machines. If you want your car or plane to turn right, you turn the steering wheel to the right. It reacts directly based on the drivers input. The systems used to drive the F1 car or the plane are simplified so that humans can effectively use them. Shockingly, a video game controller has very similar inputs to these vehicles.

    In these types of games, AI is completely different. There are no team mechanics programmed into the AI. Every AI unit has a singular goal of winning the race/etc. The entire AI do not need to work together as a cohesive unit. They simply react to the external inputs in the best possible way for them to continue on the path to achieving their goal of winning the race. That is fundamentally different than AI programming in sports games, where AI must work together in order to achieve a goal. It's also why the AI in racing games is far better than it is in any sports game. (There are complaints about the AI in every team sport game on the market for this reason)

    In the programming of these games, the goal is to mimic the performances of the machines in similar patterns. The machine behaviors are already simplified due to the control scheme. Physics is completely governed by the simple inputs of turning left or turning right, etc. Hockey is completely different.

    First off, most high level simulation games do not have any sort of collision mechanics, because it's super difficult to program, and super intensive computationally. (Trust me, I've seen a lot of collision simulations for the auto industry) But NHL requires collision simulations because of the nature of the game.

    Secondly, hockey is a sport where this is no controller that the player is using to control arm movements, leg movements, vision, etc. You can't program all the necessary actions required to be successful as a hockey player into a single controller because it's done by the human brain. You have an infinite number of input options. The controls are not press right = skate right, like they would be in F1 or a flight simulator. There are an infinite number of ways to turn right. You can slow down through the turn, accelerate out of the turn, pivot mid turn, not pivot mid turn, etc etc etc. There is no way to simply program all of these things into a single button. That means automation needs to be brought into the game, or assumptions about what a player is intending to do. This automation is why the game will never be a simulation of the sport and it's why you see all the wonky stuff that occurs. The biggest complaint is that players are unable to skate in the way they want their player to skate. Why? Because automation in the game has one expectation, while the user has another.

    But this is problematic because every user in the game can expect a different thing to happen while turning. And it's impossible to program every potential action into a single turning button.

    So rather than stating that the game does something incorrectly, as hundreds upon hundreds of people say every single year, it is much more valuable to adapt to how the game functions in and of itself. Rather than fighting controls and then immediately having issues, it's important to observe and understand the controls and adapt to them. Once you do that, the frustration in the game dramatically drops.

    I used to be full on about blaming the game myself, but if you chose to instead become more observant and understanding about how and why things are happening in the way that they are, you can get a better understanding of what the real problems and issues in the game are.


  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Oh I don't know sparky...

    I mean, between someone who spent their hard earned money and then complains about what's wrong with the purchase while still trying to find some kind of enjoyment in his investment, and then the other person who just as readily spends his hard earned cash on the same product but chooses to remain oblivious to its flaws while complaining that others complain.

    At least we're willing to be pro-active in trying to find a solution. We show up on the forums. We catalog the issues. Provide video evidence and detailed information. etc...

    What do you do? Oh that's right you were "enjoying" your bag of glitches and bugs while topping off your master card with another 150$ in HUT packs. Hope you had a "sik pul".

    Way to be part of the solution, amigo!
  • OSupahstarO
    56 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Oh I don't know sparky...

    I mean, between someone who spent their hard earned money and then complains about what's wrong with the purchase while still trying to find some kind of enjoyment in his investment, and then the other person who just as readily spends his hard earned cash on the same product but chooses to remain oblivious to its flaws while complaining that others complain.

    At least we're willing to be pro-active in trying to find a solution. We show up on the forums. We catalog the issues. Provide video evidence and detailed information. etc...

    What do you do? Oh that's right you were "enjoying" your bag of glitches and bugs while topping off your master card with another 150$ in HUT packs. Hope you had a "sik pul".

    Way to be part of the solution, amigo!

    As always, your maturity is unmatched. You wonder why people (including the developers) fail to take your opinion seriously.

    It's nice that, yet again, when you don't have a response, you jump to conclusions that I buy HUT packs, and that I am a 100% defender of the game. Not even close. I haven't touched HUT since NHL 14, and I I have shared my thoughts on many levels about this game in the past. I'm sorry you were not around to see those posts, as they were more constructive than any post you've ever made.

    There are legitimate gripes to be had with the game. But this video of Bacon does nothing to highlight the underlying issues. It's just mindless ripping on the game without detailed explanations of why things happen the way that they do, just like much of your "evidence."

  • Who the heck was talking to you, Frisky-fur?

    Oh, my bad: your handle is "Supahstar"... Obviously you feel the need to be at the center of every matter. What was I thinking?

    I was responding to the post above that felt the need to rip into Megadeth. But please, don't let me hog all your limelight. Do continue...
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Who the heck was talking to you, Frisky-fur?

    Oh, my bad: your handle is "Supahstar"... Obviously you feel the need to be at the center of every matter. What was I thinking?

    I was responding to the post above that felt the need to rip into Megadeth. But please, don't let me hog all your limelight. Do continue...

    Maybe you should quote someone if you are responding to them.

    Your comment was just as illegitimate for my post as it was for the post above mine. I apologize for interpreting it incorrectly.

    But there you go shining that beautiful light again, assuming anything and everything that you can. Did you not ever learn what happens to people when they assume?
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!