EA Forums - Banner

Some thoughts on how EA could counter exploits.

One of the problems i see when playing EASHL is that there doesn't seem to be anything "programmed in to the game" to reward you for great offensive zone play and it's effect on scoring. Some sort of algorithm should be in there to counter an all to common problem. To explain what i mean - my team doesn't use exploit type goals, at least we don't have that mind-set which you constantly observe from players just spending the whole game trying to pull the stick out and get that wrist shot goal, and it doesn't seem to reward you for that.

What i'm saying is instead of spending all the energy trying to plug up the exploit goals, which people will always find, you could be rewarded [algorithmically] by having the likelihood of "any shot" going in increase exponentially by attack zone time, and number [or timing ala tic-tac-toe] of successful passes made in the attack zone. We can pass the puck around and set up all kinds of 3 way give-and-goes that look just beautiful for 3 minutes and then the opposing team finally gets possession, skates into our zone and scores on some weak random shot.

To make it clear - i'm saying fine if we're going to be saying "oh god no he's pulling the stick all the way out to let go one of those shots it's going to go in", they should be saying "oh no they've had the puck in our zone for 2 minutes moving the puck smartly and they just pulled off a tic-tac-toe passing sequence it's going to go in". Random is fine but some kind of a.i. that tracks and rewards you for good hockey should be in there as well.

People are always going to find money goals - this should be countered by, "in addition", programming in scoring likelihood based on things like cycling time, passes completed in the attack zone consecutively , give and goes etc. One thing that i really liked about the old 2K series was that you got that sinking feeling that a goal was coming - when you SHOULD HAVE had a sinking feeling. Just a thought i've had for the last couple of years.

Replies

• I like the idea of your post a lot, but here is my problem with it. Players that know how to exploit puck possession things would just use those same keep-away tactics they always do to rack up time on attack, and if those players have a better connection than you good luck on being able to get the puck away from them AT ALL. This could EASILY result in a snowball effect against you, and tell me how fun that would be not only having the player exploit against you, but the "game coding" giving him more advantage for being able to exploit you.

I still say if they find a way to minimize the internet's effect on how the game plays they wipe out most of the weird ice-tilt-type things that happen. I've played games where both players seem very crispy and a lot of those things don't seem to happen when the internet isn't a factor.
  • Well point taken, but i think "exploiting" offensive zone puck possession and pass completion/creativity would really just end up encouraging what is considered good gameplay, and network issues aside, would even the playing field. I'm not a game programmer i'm just trying to think outside the box, and i have seen it in another game series. Just brainstorming - what if every 10 seconds in the offensive zone and 3 passes completed that teams shot accuracy increased 5 notches [slider wise], and went back down when the other team interrupted that process?

Anyway you slice it it would drastically change the tone if some programming efforts were put towards a direct correlation between what is considered good gameplay and scoring goals. It's the obvious glaring flaw in the game as it is.
  • Archibald3 wrote: »
    Well point taken, but i think "exploiting" offensive zone puck possession and pass completion/creativity would really just end up encouraging what is considered good gameplay, and network issues aside, would even the playing field. I'm not a game programmer i'm just trying to think outside the box, and i have seen it in another game series. Just brainstorming - what if every 10 seconds in the offensive zone and 3 passes completed that teams shot accuracy increased 5 notches [slider wise], and went back down when the other team interrupted that process?

Anyway you slice it it would drastically change the tone if some programming efforts were put towards a direct correlation between what is considered good gameplay and scoring goals. It's the obvious glaring flaw in the game as it is.

I like where your thoughts are going with this. In a way, it would be like creating a sort of short-lived momentum based on your ability to attack your opponent using proper hockey skill rather than all the known exploits within the game; the equivalent to a sports announcer saying "Wow, the Red Wings are really buzzing now" or similar.

You could work it both ways too so it's more a risk/reward type of setup. For example, if a cliche puck hog tries to be a one-man-show over and over again or all game long their team could take a hit on puck possession points until they start making passes or something a bit more team-orientated.

Just brainstorming here too, but that's where new innovation comes from right?
  • strategg101
    823 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    how about just have the defense take those money areas away 95% of the time.
    with humans its easily done. and a human goalie those dont go in. up the difficulty and those chances are harder to pull off no?

I like those ideas, but those scenarios happen alot in real hockey.
  • couple games I played 2's club, our ToA was 13 minutes to their 3 we lost due to exploits done on cpu D.
  • How about getting rid of the backhand pass that is just as successful as if not more than the forehand pass. Or how about not making it as simple as holding the stick out and rotating on an axis to avoid a pursuer.
  • couple games I played 2's club, our ToA was 13 minutes to their 3 we lost due to exploits done on cpu D.

What else could you expect from 2s ? or 3s for that matter ?
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • EA could fix exploits by having AI on the fly learning so after getting sniped shortside once, the goalie will be more aware of it. Thubgs like this make too much sense so you know they won't happen.
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    couple games I played 2's club, our ToA was 13 minutes to their 3 we lost due to exploits done on cpu D.

Ya I know, I expect perfect experienced AI controlled teammates. :lol:

I don't know real hockey maybe. EA needs to program the AI based off real players. Maybe thats what they do. Just all EA employees are terrible at it. j/k.

Only way i can play 2's is to be either C or defense. Otherwise its just stupid.
  • strategg101
    823 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Hotjoint wrote: »
    EA could fix exploits by having AI on the fly learning so after getting sniped shortside once, the goalie will be more aware of it. Thubgs like this make too much sense so you know they won't happen.

Or having top players play games, and use the data to program the AI.

Or they can just up up the difficulty for online AI to the highest setting and if anyone leaves a game they get the dumb version of the AI.

im just being dumb at this point lol.
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    couple games I played 2's club, our ToA was 13 minutes to their 3 we lost due to exploits done on cpu D.

Ya I know, I expect perfect experienced AI controlled teammates. :lol:

I don't know real hockey maybe. EA needs to program the AI based off real players. Maybe thats what they do. Just all EA employees are terrible at it. j/k.

Only way i can play 2's is to be either C or defense. Otherwise its just stupid.

That'll never happen. Playing BAP I watch as my defencemen constantly part to allow the opposition to skate right down broadway.