EA Forums - Banner

Puck pickups in this game are terrible

I was playing D, and decided to pinch on a really easy puck, there wasnt anyone around for a mile. I skated onto it, and nothing came of it... it went right by. Its so impossible to actully defend in this game. Pokechecks are useless, hitting is marginally better, stick lift is nonexistant, board play is impossible, and netbattles dont do anything. And any time I think I connect with something, its a penalty. And the time it DOES Work I just skate by the puck. Last I checked those were all the defensive tools available. And if those dont work, how exactly am I supposed to play defence?

Replies

• The_B_0_G
    593 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Animal1138 wrote: »
    I was playing D, and decided to pinch on a really easy puck, there wasnt anyone around for a mile. I skated onto it, and nothing came of it... it went right by. Its so impossible to actully defend in this game. Pokechecks are useless, hitting is marginally better, stick lift is nonexistant, board play is impossible, and netbattles dont do anything. And any time I think I connect with something, its a penalty. And the time it DOES Work I just skate by the puck. Last I checked those were all the defensive tools available. And if those dont work, how exactly am I supposed to play defence?

Puck pickups are pretty bad I agree there but poke checks aren't useless, they need more power and the physics needs work but I feel the accuracy of them is fair. Board play is useless, agreed, I couldn't even board play an AI player that board played himself today.

Net battles work if you don't just try to do them alone, use the stick lift tie up when people are stationary waiting for a one timer, you're right when it comes to the body block tie up though (triangle or Y) I've yet to pull that one yet and it is useless. Remember that on defense you can shove in front of the net when you are stationary too without a penalty.
  • The_B_0_G
    593 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    **delete
  • Animal1138 wrote: »
    Pokechecks are useless
    There's a thread dedicated to saying pokes are OP. Play as a defensive D and tell me pokechecks are useless. But I agree, some pickups are terrible ... though its 10x better than last year.
  • Plus the skating is still awful for defenseman and you can't do jack when you have the puck at the point. Maneuverability with the puck at the blue line is a joke not to mention the nerfing of slapshot one timers makes playing defense not a great experience.
  • Animal1138 wrote: »

Like I said in another post. You get punished for choosing certain classes, like an ofd or pmd , perfect positioning doesn't matter timing doesn't matter, hence skill doesn't matter as much as class selection... Get a centre that doesn't play a two way class, now he is useless in your end , or terrible on the forecheck ... I understand the so called balance of classes , but if you are well positioned or well timed, shouldn't matter your class ... If a playmaker makes a past its more likely to get by because of game mechanics, a good pass should be good no matter what class , not this ninja reach around crap because it wasn't made by a high pass rating class or no pick up by the receiver ... If my d man is in the passing lane he should at least get a stick on it bare minimum and interrupt the pass .