EA Forums - Banner

EASHL Competitive Rating

Prev134
What is it and what is better, a high or low number?

Replies

• When you win, it goes higher, when you lose, it goes lower.
  • Means nothing. It goes up if you're on the winning side, down on the losing side. You can be the best player by a country mile but it will drop if your goalie is a poop.
  • I wouldn't say it means nothing, its an idea as to who you beat and how you beat them against what your rating is. There's some logistical ideas in there with it. But yes, if you play with a bad goalie then you'd suffer.

If you play a great team and lose, you'll lose less based on your rating against their team average I believe. This is how I like it to be anyways.

I do notice you lose more points if you lose against poor teams in general. I think it takes the average of your teams's CR and puts it against the other teams in terms of determining how many points you lose? Who knows though.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2203 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    But it is by no means an indicator of a players skill. You can be on the losing end of 10 straight drop in games if your team is trash.
  • B-Bunny
    840 posts Game Changer
    It's basically an MMR.
    NHL Gamechanger
    PSN: B-Bunny
    Twitch: https://twitch.tv/b_bunny
  • It definitely doesn't show the individual skill of any player. Just how often the team your on wins.
  • I wouldn't say it shows a player's skill either but it is a very lose indictor of it.

Like you couldn't have a CR rating of like 400 after 50 games and be good. If you're "good" then after so many games you'll end up winning more than losing like going 600 hockey or something.

To sum it up, I believe the CR rating is 20-30% of how good you are, the rest of it is probably a lose matchmaking thing like bunny said.

People saying its worthless and means nothing isn't accurate I don't think. I have one of like 530, and I'm decent, and i"ve been low as 460ish. So it is moot to some degree
  • i would say it has nothing to do with anything other than wins or losses in recent games. when i was doing my best to take this game serious mine was up to about 750. after a week of playing lots of random drop ins while i catch up on TV shows and perfecting the art of taking out the knees of morons, it was down to almost 400.
  • B-Bunny
    840 posts Game Changer
    edited October 2016
    Its definitely going to have the most impact on whether you win or lose, but im fairly certain if you played amazing on the losing team, you wont take as large a hit as someone who played terrible on the losing team. If im wrong than eff me, but thats how it should work.

In the end, you still lost. My CR is about 1108 right now.
    NHL Gamechanger
    PSN: B-Bunny
    Twitch: https://twitch.tv/b_bunny
  • yeah my experience is score 4 goals and have all high marks on a losing team lose like 15-20 pts do almost nothing good have bad grades and be on losing team and maybe you lose like 20-25 pts. losing points either way
  • But it is by no means an indicator of a players skill. You can be on the losing end of 10 straight drop in games if your team is trash.

^^^^^
    This. It never fails that I get the **** goalie / team. I haven't won a drop in in 2 weeks. I went from 600 something to 290. My club guys are never on so I am SOL.
  • Pretty sure your CR determines how well the opposing team's AI plays against you.
  • Its most useful application is in matchmaking as we try to balance the teams based on the average rating per side. Ideally they are close to equal so we have a fair game.
  • Its most useful application is in matchmaking as we try to balance the teams based on the average rating per side. Ideally they are close to equal so we have a fair game.

It sounds great on paper but the thing is, CR is calculated considering your performances in all positions. Personally, if I were to only play defense, my CR would be higher than it is when i include Goalie and Forward in my rating. Thats just how it goes for me, I happen to win more when playing defense for one reason or another.

So you may end up with a player who is frustrated waiting for a game choosing a position they normally don't play. The game takes their CR rating and says, yes this player is very good. But in reality they are not very good at the alternate position they have picked.

I believe you should have a CR rating per position to further improve the matchmaking process.
    I appreciate the response. I'm perfectly fine with the competitive rating as a means to help balance matchmaking but is that the only thing it does?
  • Currently that's basically it, plus to help you gauge where you are vs the rest of the community as another poster mentioned. In the Player Summary screen (post game) you can see everyone's CR so you can at least determine the relevant skill level of every player compared to yourself. In the future we hope to do more with it but it may need some tweaking as a poster mentioned. It's not fair to calculate a goalie the same as a skater since the positions are drastically different. Forward and Defense at least has transferable skills, so i'm not sure if we would separate them out for every position, but for "skater" and "goalie" that would seem to be the most logical choice.
  • VeNOM2099
    2144 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Currently that's basically it, plus to help you gauge where you are vs the rest of the community as another poster mentioned. In the Player Summary screen (post game) you can see everyone's CR so you can at least determine the relevant skill level of every player compared to yourself. In the future we hope to do more with it but it may need some tweaking as a poster mentioned. It's not fair to calculate a goalie the same as a skater since the positions are drastically different. Forward and Defense at least has transferable skills, so i'm not sure if we would separate them out for every position, but for "skater" and "goalie" that would seem to be the most logical choice.

In my view something labeled "COMPETITIVE" Rating should NEVER go down.

Here's how I think CR would better function:

Staying until the end and completing a game: +25 CR (win or lose)

Quitting early from a game in progress: -50 CR

Scoring a Goa (Skaters)l: +5 CR

Getting an Assist (Skaters): +3 CR

Making a Save (Goalies): +2 CR

Allowing a goal (Skaters/Goalies): - 2/-3 CR

End of Game performance Ratings: +5 CR for every 10% above 50% (IE: 50% Saves Rating = 5 CR, 42% Positioning rating = 0 CR, etc). -3 CR for every 5% below 30% Ratings (IE: Team rating 20% = -6 CR)

This would give people a bigger incentive to complete games as they would at least gain a little CR even if they lost. It would let you know who the RAGE QUITTERS are. It would also be a better showcase of skill as players who contribute a lot, whether their teams win or lose would gain more points than someone who's may be mediocre on a winning team as overtime their score would end up much higher, much faster.
  • High CR means you play on winning teams often. That can be a good club or with a regular group of friends in drop-in. My CR is never too high because I play most of my games with randoms in drop-in.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!