EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

EASHL Competitive Rating

Replies

• TRICL0PS wrote: »
    Currently that's basically it, plus to help you gauge where you are vs the rest of the community as another poster mentioned. In the Player Summary screen (post game) you can see everyone's CR so you can at least determine the relevant skill level of every player compared to yourself. In the future we hope to do more with it but it may need some tweaking as a poster mentioned. It's not fair to calculate a goalie the same as a skater since the positions are drastically different. Forward and Defense at least has transferable skills, so i'm not sure if we would separate them out for every position, but for "skater" and "goalie" that would seem to be the most logical choice.
    So, it has no effect on how the AI plays at all? If CR has no impact on the AI then is there something else other than intimidation and momentum that does?

All AI Skaters in EASHL are rated the same as one another. Same goes for Defensemen. The only lower rating we apply to an AI player is after a human goalie has quit from Drop-in and you will see the lower rated backup go in net.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Currently that's basically it, plus to help you gauge where you are vs the rest of the community as another poster mentioned. In the Player Summary screen (post game) you can see everyone's CR so you can at least determine the relevant skill level of every player compared to yourself. In the future we hope to do more with it but it may need some tweaking as a poster mentioned. It's not fair to calculate a goalie the same as a skater since the positions are drastically different. Forward and Defense at least has transferable skills, so i'm not sure if we would separate them out for every position, but for "skater" and "goalie" that would seem to be the most logical choice.

In my view something labeled "COMPETITIVE" Rating should NEVER go down.

Here's how I think CR would better function:

Staying until the end and completing a game: +25 CR (win or lose)

Quitting early from a game in progress: -50 CR

Scoring a Goa (Skaters)l: +5 CR

Getting an Assist (Skaters): +3 CR

Making a Save (Goalies): +2 CR

Allowing a goal (Skaters/Goalies): - 2/-3 CR

End of Game performance Ratings: +5 CR for every 10% above 50% (IE: 50% Saves Rating = 5 CR, 42% Positioning rating = 0 CR, etc). -3 CR for every 5% below 30% Ratings (IE: Team rating 20% = -6 CR)

This would give people a bigger incentive to complete games as they would at least gain a little CR even if they lost. It would let you know who the RAGE QUITTERS are. It would also be a better showcase of skill as players who contribute a lot, whether their teams win or lose would gain more points than someone who's may be mediocre on a winning team as overtime their score would end up much higher, much faster.

You basically just described our Progression system in how we award EXP, which is a measure of how much you play the game, not on actual skill level.
    So, it has no effect on how the AI plays at all? If CR has no impact on the AI then is there something else other than intimidation and momentum that does?

All AI Skaters in EASHL are rated the same as one another. Same goes for Defensemen. The only lower rating we apply to an AI player is after a human goalie has quit from Drop-in and you will see the lower rated backup go in net.

The dev team should look into that if that is the case. Whenever goalies quit or disconnect from Drop-In games in the BETA, the inferior computer backup does not take their place.

The dev team should look into that if that is the case. Whenever goalies quit or disconnect from Drop-In games in the BETA, the inferior computer backup does not take their place.

It has to be a game where 2 human goalies are in the Drop-in game to start. I can get our QA team to double check that it's still working though (was added last year in one of our patches)

It has to be a game where 2 human goalies are in the Drop-in game to start. I can get our QA team to double check that it's still working though (was added last year in one of our patches)

I know for a fact it happens even when two human goalies start the game, as I play goalie a lot.

I know for a fact it happens even when two human goalies start the game, as I play goalie a lot.

Yep. In NHL 17, when 2 human goalies started the game and one quit (or both), they would get replaced by Weeks and Sieve.

In the NHL 18 BETA, if two human goalies start the game and one quits, the AI takes over the human goalie's "avatar". At first I thought this was done on purpose, as in 17 if a human goalie quit out, sometimes a few humans on the opponent side would also quit out, not wanting to have to deal with an AI goalie if their goalie was still controlled by a human. So I thought maybe the devs just left the goalie as is, but lowered his stats, so that the opponents wouldn't quit out right away.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    TRICL0PS wrote: »

Yep. In NHL 17, when 2 human goalies started the game and one quit (or both), they would get replaced by Weeks and Sieve.

In the NHL 18 BETA, if two human goalies start the game and one quits, the AI takes over the human goalie's "avatar". At first I thought this was done on purpose, as in 17 if a human goalie quit out, sometimes a few humans on the opponent side would also quit out, not wanting to have to deal with an AI goalie if their goalie was still controlled by a human. So I thought maybe the devs just left the goalie as is, but lowered his stats, so that the opponents wouldn't quit out right away.

Found out there was a bug in the Beta that lead to something worse, so it was intentionally turn off for the Beta. Full game should have the NHL 17 logic as expected
  • What is it and what is better, a high or low number?
    A weird mechanic which encourages players to quit rather than finishing a game
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • VeNOM2099
    3170 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    TRICL0PS wrote: »

Found out there was a bug in the Beta that lead to something worse, so it was intentionally turn off for the Beta. Full game should have the NHL 17 logic as expected

Ah! That makes sense...

You basically just described our Progression system in how we award EXP, which is a measure of how much you play the game, not on actual skill level.

Then maybe CR allocation should function this way, while EXP should just be a static amount for each game you play since it's just a measure of how MUCH you play, not how WELL. This way players who learn and get more skilled will get more rewards than a player who just plays a lot of games, regardless of his skill.

Just a thought...
  • CR has little impact to the common player.

completely.

meaningless.
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    SaveUs2K wrote: »
    yes everything about their rating systems and matchmaking ****.

any decent group that club together regularly should have CRs in the 850-1000 range. Heck this past year I didn't have time to club hardly at all so i went long periods of time doing nothing but almost exclusive solo drop ins (yes basically the equivalent of getting aids while fighting cancer). Yet I've had CR ratings anywhere from mid 800s to mid 500s all on solo dropins. i can't explain it but i'll get runs of 10 or more games in a row where almost every teammate is a complete moron. I often just quit out. I usually can't go more than a few games where i don't get stuck in one where almost the entire game the entire team is playing every position.

Next thing I know i've dropped 200pts in one night. This is why people who care about their CR don't play drop in and I think it's a huge reason why drop ins have gone from awesome way back in the day to a horrible experience. combine CR **** with no lobbies or community of any kind and good players have been leaving for years. seriously i used to know 100s of decent players that i would constantly see in drop ins, now i can go weeks without seeing 1 person.

drop ins weren't as good in the 14-15 days as the 10-11 days but they were 100x better than 16 and 17 has been even worse. **** the beta has been the worst hockey i've ever seen. this is why i'm not buying the game for the first time in decades. game ****, no community, half the friends i still have left playing say they aren't getting it. no reasons left for me to buy it

And this lack of a competitive community is totally due to the fact that this game simply isn't fun anymore. Everyone is tired of the skating, physics, goalies, AI, clipping, etc. HUT is this game's life support, because there certainly isn't a true hardcore following anymore...that is long gone.

Theres also nothing to be competitive for. All the unlocks/customizatiom will unlock eventually for just about everyone, as long as you play the game enough. And In my experience having a really high CR did nothing but make matchmaking with others even more difficult.

So what am i playing for? Whats a really good player playing for, besides the love of hockey, if Joe Smith who had a below .500 record will be able to attain everything I can with a record above .850

yeah.

this.
  • VeNOM2099
    3170 posts Member
    TPS was supposed to address the MAIN issue people had with the game in last-gen: make skaters with and without the puck ACCOUNTABLE for how they skate. No more Magic Carpet Ride skating!

Instead it made skaters without the puck accountable while the puck handler can just go into a "glide" and break the physics of the game. There's no skill in holding the puck to your forehand or backhand and just weave back and forth like you're having a seizure to get around the defense. Meanwhile they made defense rely more on hitting and poke checking than actually being in position like they should be.

With the skating "balance" as it is, it forces the defense to take more risks in order to keep the puck handler away. Which leads to more frustration towards the skating engine which really hasn't been updated since NHL 13 if we go by the functionality of it. Certainly the settings have been tweaked since then, but not much else.
  • tps isn't really the problem in theory. they have had versions of this game, with TPS, where in general the basic skating was fine, even without the puck. The problem is they can't go 2 years in a row without breaking it. on defense the problem is it takes them 5-6 years to implement necessary tools like DSS and even then it feels half ****.

I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing that. It's painfully obvious that sometimes teams have better AI teammates than the other.
  • Pavel_Beer_Eh
    90 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    just a thought on CR > if you lose in overtime I think you should lose less CR... same for OT win you get less biscuits.
    also if you beat B-Bunnys club by a larger margin you should get more biscuits (CR)
  • Ea when will you be doing something about guys cheating out of season games in hut by constantly pulling the goalie? When the guy quits it is like there has no game been played, Ed?
  • Player_9u6akt7p
    1 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I have a feeling my CR might be glitched out it seems to be very high like stupid high
    My number is 2147483647 im not sure if thats good or just a game glitch btw its nhl19 thats doing this to me
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!