EA Forums - Banner

Another Year in NHL...

I want to start off by saying I don't regret buying NHL this year. It seems like every year the game sees its improvements. This is great, but there are a few things I'd like to address about the state of the game.

First I'd like to address the dev team and the forum staff directly. Your engagement with the community is, to put it politely, minimal. You release tuner notes weeks late, and most of your stickies are self serving. I'm glad you made a thread stating the devs know about the stick lift issue, but you only do it to try and limit the repeat posts. There are plenty of other issues that everyone seems to be left I the dark about. It'd be nice to see you guys engage your community more.

Moving on, I'd like to talk about HUT. Seeing as this is how EA continues to make money off of NHL after the fact it makes sense that it's probably the most nailed down development-wise. Why can't the log in bonuses be on server time? The way it's set up right now is incredibly inconvenient. I don't want to say it's because of "penny-pinching," but realistically its probably because of penny-pinching and boosting the daily active users.

Speaking of daily active users... The NHL population is as low as ever. This population is spread across a pretty large number of game modes. I think it's good that there are a lot of game modes, and I won't argue the unique ones. What I will point out is an unnecessary redundancy. What's the point of having both OTP and EASHL drop-in? Maybe you should funnel traffic to one or the other since they are essentially the same thing. I don't have the privilege of looking at the daily statistics so I can't say which one is more populated than the other, but the drop in matchmaking system definitely feels much better than OTP. It gives you the ability to matchmake with friends or solo if you want. Something OTP doesn't do. I'd suggest giving the axe to OTP altogether in an attempt to increase the drop-in population.

Sadly, drop-ins aren't perfect though. During the first few days of the beta I can't remember a lobby that wasn't at least 5v5. I don't know what changed, but around halfway through the beta some friends and I started noticing a large number of 3v3 games. If you enter a lobby with all offensive positions filled and no defense or goalie positions for both teams then it's incredibly likely the lobby will run for the full two minutes without anyone else joining leading to a 3v3. Now on the other hand if you join a lobby with a prefilled defensive position, either your team or the other team, it's incredibly likely the game will fill up to a 5v5 or a 6v6 pretty quickly. I don't know why free-floating defensemen fill into one scenario and not the other, but it's pretty annoying. If you looked at the statistics I'd be willing to bet the number of 3v3 games is unusually high so I'm hoping this gets addressed.

Now for a few odds and ends. Backhand passing is ridiculous. It pretty much guarantees the puck makes it to the intended skater regardless of how clogged the passing lane is. Fortunately not many people know how to do this effectively, but I've run into a few teams that do nothing but backhand passing and they're passes are pretty much unstoppable. Back hand/ protect puck in general is still pretty ridiculous. You can barely hit them or poke check them while they do it to try and loosen the puck. It's frustrating. Holding back hand, skating to the goal line, then shooting to the near post is the new hotness, because they trash goes in way too much (human or AI goalie). Another goal that happens way too often is what I can only call the dumb goal. Any skater who has the puck can just charge the slot regardless of who's in their way and if they don't somehow manage to lose the puck and get it back four or five times in a row they will just lose it once and the puck will squeeze its way through the net mouth. It's pretty stupid, it's pretty high probability, and it's incredibly deflating. I get puck luck, but it happens so often it just tends to reward bad players for being greedy. Also, maybe you should look into increasing the penalties for players charging the goalie. It's like every time the goalie gets position of the puck there are 1-2 people who go out of their way to slam into the goalie. Start handing out penalties for that trash.

Since this post is nearing the size of a novel I'll end it on this last point. Please release updates with a greater frequency. I get it that you guys are probably switching to the frostbite engine for NHL 18 so NHL 17 won't get a lot of love, but there are still improvements to be made. Actual GAMEPLAY improvements. Patches that heavily focus on equipment like helmets, glove, and sticks while there are plenty of gameplay fixes we need are insulting. There you go. That's all I got.

Replies

• Youratv
    260 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    I didn't read your giant wall of text. I'm sure most of your frustrations are legit. One thing though. Eashl and otp are not the same. Eashl is club. Now if i want to play with the same guys day in day out great but we know a lot of other players and sometimes we like to play with and against each other in otp lobbies where goalies draft their players. That's what draft lobbies are. Without otp lobbies everyone has to club hop if they want to play against each other.
  • MeisterJ89 wrote: »
    I want to start off by saying I don't regret buying NHL this year. It seems like every year the game sees its improvements. This is great, but there are a few things I'd like to address about the state of the game.

First I'd like to address the dev team and the forum staff directly. Your engagement with the community is, to put it politely, minimal. You release tuner notes weeks late, and most of your stickies are self serving. I'm glad you made a thread stating the devs know about the stick lift issue, but you only do it to try and limit the repeat posts. There are plenty of other issues that everyone seems to be left I the dark about. It'd be nice to see you guys engage your community more.

Moving on, I'd like to talk about HUT. Seeing as this is how EA continues to make money off of NHL after the fact it makes sense that it's probably the most nailed down development-wise. Why can't the log in bonuses be on server time? The way it's set up right now is incredibly inconvenient. I don't want to say it's because of "penny-pinching," but realistically its probably because of penny-pinching and boosting the daily active users.

Speaking of daily active users... The NHL population is as low as ever. This population is spread across a pretty large number of game modes. I think it's good that there are a lot of game modes, and I won't argue the unique ones. What I will point out is an unnecessary redundancy. What's the point of having both OTP and EASHL drop-in? Maybe you should funnel traffic to one or the other since they are essentially the same thing. I don't have the privilege of looking at the daily statistics so I can't say which one is more populated than the other, but the drop in matchmaking system definitely feels much better than OTP. It gives you the ability to matchmake with friends or solo if you want. Something OTP doesn't do. I'd suggest giving the axe to OTP altogether in an attempt to increase the drop-in population.

Sadly, drop-ins aren't perfect though. During the first few days of the beta I can't remember a lobby that wasn't at least 5v5. I don't know what changed, but around halfway through the beta some friends and I started noticing a large number of 3v3 games. If you enter a lobby with all offensive positions filled and no defense or goalie positions for both teams then it's incredibly likely the lobby will run for the full two minutes without anyone else joining leading to a 3v3. Now on the other hand if you join a lobby with a prefilled defensive position, either your team or the other team, it's incredibly likely the game will fill up to a 5v5 or a 6v6 pretty quickly. I don't know why free-floating defensemen fill into one scenario and not the other, but it's pretty annoying. If you looked at the statistics I'd be willing to bet the number of 3v3 games is unusually high so I'm hoping this gets addressed.

Now for a few odds and ends. Backhand passing is ridiculous. It pretty much guarantees the puck makes it to the intended skater regardless of how clogged the passing lane is. Fortunately not many people know how to do this effectively, but I've run into a few teams that do nothing but backhand passing and they're passes are pretty much unstoppable. Back hand/ protect puck in general is still pretty ridiculous. You can barely hit them or poke check them while they do it to try and loosen the puck. It's frustrating. Holding back hand, skating to the goal line, then shooting to the near post is the new hotness, because they trash goes in way too much (human or AI goalie). Another goal that happens way too often is what I can only call the dumb goal. Any skater who has the puck can just charge the slot regardless of who's in their way and if they don't somehow manage to lose the puck and get it back four or five times in a row they will just lose it once and the puck will squeeze its way through the net mouth. It's pretty stupid, it's pretty high probability, and it's incredibly deflating. I get puck luck, but it happens so often it just tends to reward bad players for being greedy. Also, maybe you should look into increasing the penalties for players charging the goalie. It's like every time the goalie gets position of the puck there are 1-2 people who go out of their way to slam into the goalie. Start handing out penalties for that trash.

Since this post is nearing the size of a novel I'll end it on this last point. Please release updates with a greater frequency. I get it that you guys are probably switching to the frostbite engine for NHL 18 so NHL 17 won't get a lot of love, but there are still improvements to be made. Actual GAMEPLAY improvements. Patches that heavily focus on equipment like helmets, glove, and sticks while there are plenty of gameplay fixes we need are insulting. There you go. That's all I got.

I think OTP serves its own purpose as it really isn't identical to EASHL. OTP you pick a position and play as an actual NHL player rather than a created one. You also have to handle line changes in OTP, so you actually end up playing as any of the NHL players on the team that play your selected position. In EASHL you play as your created player and don't worry about line changes at all.

The one thing regarding OTP I wish they would change is to make that the go-to mode for the couch coop players. Right now it's a chore trying to match up 1 vs 1 in an Online Vs game. Leave that as a single player online mode and send the couch coop players to the OTP mode. After all, OTP stands for Online TEAM Play.
  • Youratv wrote: »
    I didn't read your giant wall of text. I'm sure most of your frustrations are legit. One thing though. Eashl and otp are not the same. Eashl is club. Now if i want to play with the same guys day in day out great but we know a lot of other players and sometimes we like to play with and against each other in otp lobbies where goalies draft the their players. Without otp lobbies everyone has to club hop if they want to play against each other.

You are mistaken. EASHL drop-in and OTP are in essence the same thing. I'm not referring to EASHL Club games. Look for OTP inside the main NHL menu (where you'd select HUT, EASHL, etc.) Look for drop-ins inside of the EASHL section if you don't understand. Playing 6v6 with people you know and letting the goalies draft the teams I'm sure is fun, but it seems like a good defense for private games. Not a good defense for splitting their online matchmaking community more than it already is.

I think OTP serves its own purpose as it really isn't identical to EASHL. OTP you pick a position and play as an actual NHL player rather than a created one. You also have to handle line changes in OTP, so you actually end up playing as any of the NHL players on the team that play your selected position. In EASHL you play as your created player and don't worry about line changes at all.

The one thing regarding OTP I wish they would change is to make that the go-to mode for the couch coop players. Right now it's a chore trying to match up 1 vs 1 in an Online Vs game. Leave that as a single player online mode and send the couch coop players to the OTP mode. After all, OTP stands for Online TEAM Play.

I dunno. I don't think line changes and being able to use actual skaters warrants enough to keep both modes, but that's just my opinion. If you think it serves a purpose who am I to argue?
    MeisterJ89 wrote: »

I dunno. I don't think line changes and being able to use actual skaters warrants enough to keep both modes, but that's just my opinion. If you think it serves a purpose who am I to argue?

Just my opinion on the matter too. I think it would be better served as a drop-in team play type of game.

I remember when NHL 15 was released it was basically a bare-bones game that year. It had Online VS, OTP, and HUT for online modes. For that year Online VS was ONLY single player, and I remember hearing people **** and moan because they couldn't do couch coop like they could on old-gen versions of the game. For my uses this was awesome because I didn't have to waste time trying to find a one-on-one game by backing out against multiple opponents over and over again. I think it should be just that easy to find a game as a single player, and if people want to play couch coop they can just use OTP mode and play against other people who are playing that way.

That's really my main train of thought on how it could be a more useful and popular mode. They just have to utilize it differently.
  • Youratv
    260 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    MeisterJ89 wrote: »
    Youratv wrote: »
    I didn't read your giant wall of text. I'm sure most of your frustrations are legit. One thing though. Eashl and otp are not the same. Eashl is club. Now if i want to play with the same guys day in day out great but we know a lot of other players and sometimes we like to play with and against each other in otp lobbies where goalies draft the their players. Without otp lobbies everyone has to club hop if they want to play against each other.

You are mistaken. EASHL drop-in and OTP are in essence the same thing. I'm not referring to EASHL Club games. Look for OTP inside the main NHL menu (where you'd select HUT, EASHL, etc.) Look for drop-ins inside of the EASHL section if you don't understand. Playing 6v6 with people you know and letting the goalies draft the teams I'm sure is fun, but it seems like a good defense for private games. Not a good defense for splitting their online matchmaking community more than it already is.

That's exactly what they are, private games. I'll absolutely defend it to. I know what your talking about. Something that a lot of player's quit so we collect the names of users we know won't so we can get full games. If any one can fill up a private lobby to 12 awesome cause that's not something easy to do for most. Those ptivate draft lobbies are usually filled with better players who have a less likelyhood of quitting. I will say your right about this year's version because they took away the lobbies. How most player's meet new player's and how they get invited to the drafts and how that can lead to the formation of clubs.
    Post edited by Youratv on