EA Forums - Banner

DEVS - Please fix these things (GAMEPLAY)

Overall, I like the gameplay- smooth, fun, and action packed. Just a few nitpicks (well, ok, things that drive me insane, often):

1) If a guy is skating to the bench for a line change, there is no indication that makes it any different than if he is skating to the boards to break out. In real hockey, if I have the puck and I am the D-man, I can generally just tell if my forward is getting off the ice, or if he looking to get open along the wall to receive a breakout pass from me. Perhaps in NHL 17, if a guy is skating to the bench to get off the ice, then there can be some sort of indication that I ought NOT pass to him? I am not sure what it ought to be, something not too distracting as we do not want my vision getting distracted by a guy about to be out of the play. Often, I pass to this guy, only to see him hop over the wall, and then let a perfectly good pass go the length of the ice for an icing, as his replacement is jumping onto the ice.

2) When I am puck battling along the wall, and the defender has me pinned and is playing me to one side, why does my help always come from the side that the defender is on? Please program the help to come from the side that the defender is NOT pinning me from.

3) Please make a goalie setting that tells the goalie, "STAY THE HECK IN THE NET" at all times (as opposed to aggressively playing pucks that come his way, when it is unnecessary as my D man is free and clear to play the puck). Anytime the goalie comes way out to play a routine puck, thinking that he is helping my D-men out, it inevitably just leads to trouble, after he passes the puck, it gets stolen, and the opposition scores the Empty Net goal as my goalie is skating to get back. I always tell my goalies in real life- just stay in the net, do not try to help us. We will retrieve the pucks, and if we muff it then at least you will be in position. I wish I could tell my NHL 17 goalies this, but there is no such setting, yet.

4) If a right handed center wins a faceoff in the left defensive circle (or lefty in the right defensive faceoff circle), on his backhand, then do not send the puck at the goalie. I scored an own goal on this, and was like, "Why?" Just have the puck go to the D man in front of the net, let's not complicate this please.

Replies

• 1) I agree with the line change pass. It doesn't seem to be as bad as previous releases, but it's still there. The easiest way to fix this, is to pay attention to your current line energy. However a yell of "change" or "forwards" "defense" would be a cool indication of an impending change that could perhaps limit a few of these turn overs & icings that stem from it.

2) I don't quite agree. This happens from time to time, but I've never had more success surviving board pinnings than in NHL17. You should consider switching away from the player pinned and start jamming with your help that just moved in. It works for me when I have no other options.

3) Almost NEVER happens. You need to make some adjustments in your gameplay for sure. I've never done it to anyone else either. What game mode are you playing that this is a problem?

4) Yeah, it sucks and happens, but adjust your placement of the left stick. It's your fault.
  • line changes definitely need to be fixed,\

As for the face-off wins, Im pretty sure you can aim with your LS, to avoid the puck on net.
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • 2) I don't quite agree. This happens from time to time, but I've never had more success surviving board pinnings than in NHL17. You should consider switching away from the player pinned and start jamming with your help that just moved in. It works for me when I have no other options.

3) Almost NEVER happens. You need to make some adjustments in your gameplay for sure. I've never done it to anyone else either. What game mode are you playing that this is a problem?

4) Yeah, it **** and happens, but adjust your placement of the left stick. It's your fault.

2) Can I change away from the guy who presently has the puck?

3) Online HUT versus

4) Maybe- I have never been gr8 at face offs

• Yes, you can change from being the guy pinned. I haven't played HUT, but I'm sure it's just like Online VS. I haven't had these issues and I'm 70 games deep into Online VS. Is it happening from hard dumps, pucks bouncing into the zone?

As for the faceoff situation, yeah, you're definitely at fault. Well, technically it shouldn't be in the game, but adjust your location of your left stick. You can avoid it all together.
  • Hold your left stick at 6 o'clock while doing the faceoff. If you win it the puck will go straight back to your defenseman.
  • Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    Hold your left stick at 6 o'clock while doing the faceoff. If you win it the puck will go straight back to your defenseman.

• Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    Hold your left stick at 6 o'clock while doing the faceoff. If you win it the puck will go straight back to your defenseman.

You can't play a neutral formation off a faceoff in your own zone -- you have to play aggressive, which means there is no defenseman at 6 o'clock.

And yes, you can aim your faceoff with your LS so that it should go to the defenseman in front of the goalie, but these are analog sticks, and if you're off even slightly, it'll go right to the goalie. Which normally isn't a problem -- goalie just covers the puck and you have another faceoff. The issue is that sometimes the goalie doesn't react, or reacts too late, and it ends up as a rebound or, in the very worst circumstance, an own goal.
  • Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    Yes, you can change from being the guy pinned.

You can't change away from controlling the guy with the puck in any 1v1 mode. If you have the puck, you're controlling that player, whether he's pinned or not.
  • Don't try to win face offs to the d man in front of the goalie, are you kidding me?
  • Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Youratv wrote: »
    Don't try to win face offs to the d man in front of the goalie, are you kidding me?

You have to, if you're a RH center to the right of the goalie, or a LH center to the left of the goalie. You have to go forehand to avoid the potential tie-up, so you have to win the faceoff to the D-man.

• I'm not feeling it that's a lotta pressure your putting on your d man to find his respective winger who has to break off to his board side leaving a gap in front of the goalie for offense or he has no outlet and has to play it in his zone or ice it to come right back to square one. Tie up d man in back can play up while d man in front of net can cut the angle for the goalie while winger slides to the point to play center while center readjusts.
  • Yes, you can change from being the guy pinned. I haven't played HUT, but I'm sure it's just like Online VS. I haven't had these issues and I'm 70 games deep into Online VS. Is it happening from hard dumps, pucks bouncing into the zone?

How do you change what player you're controlling while one of your players is in possession of the puck?

PSN : GordonRamsey
    Club : Midnight Express
  • 1) I agree with the line change pass. It doesn't seem to be as bad as previous releases, but it's still there. The easiest way to fix this, is to pay attention to your current line energy. However a yell of "change" or "forwards" "defense" would be a cool indication of an impending change that could perhaps limit a few of these turn overs & icings that stem from it.

2) I don't quite agree. This happens from time to time, but I've never had more success surviving board pinnings than in NHL17. You should consider switching away from the player pinned and start jamming with your help that just moved in. It works for me when I have no other options.

4) Yeah, it **** and happens, but adjust your placement of the left stick. It's your fault.

What version of NHL are you playing because this happens ALL OF THE TIME and it's incredibly frustrating. How are you going to tell this guy to make adjustments to how he plays when the AI GOALIE is the one coming out of the net for no reason. He wants to make adjustments, that's why he's suggesting there should be a goalie strategy telling the dumba$$ goalie to always stay in the net.
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    line changes definitely need to be fixed,\

As for the face-off wins, Im pretty sure you can aim with your LS, to avoid the puck on net.

Line changes don't need fixing. Icings happen due to miscommunication on line changes all of the time in hockey. Just youtube those videos, I'm sure you'll find 'em Cogs. ;)

Happens like once every 20 games or so. So obviously we should keep it in the game. Keeps the game super realistic. And I know you love realism because we think alike, Cogs.
  • Reducto80 wrote: »
    Yes, you can change from being the guy pinned. I haven't played HUT, but I'm sure it's just like Online VS. I haven't had these issues and I'm 70 games deep into Online VS. Is it happening from hard dumps, pucks bouncing into the zone?

How do you change what player you're controlling while one of your players is in possession of the puck?

You don't, because you can't. The guy doesn't know what he's talking about. The only way you can change from the guy being pinned is if the guy being pinned no longer has the puck.

• strategg101
    823 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    COGSx86 wrote: »

Freeze the puck, carry it, or wait for the change and yes don't win it to the Goalie, unless there's a few seconds left an he has a shutout going for him. :lol:
  • COGSx86 wrote: »

Line changes don't need fixing. Icings happen due to miscommunication on line changes all of the time in hockey. Just youtube those videos, I'm sure you'll find 'em Cogs. ;)

Happens like once every 20 games or so. So obviously we should keep it in the game. Keeps the game super realistic. And I know you love realism because we think alike, Cogs.

Cogs says, and I quote "Im pretty sure you can aim with your LS".... Pretty sure he says. I almost never play center, but funny thing is, I KNOW you can aim with the LS. He isn't even sure he can aim with the LS, yet claims to know this game and that WE are the ones that need to shake our heads. LMFAO.

Unreal.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    Reducto80 wrote: »
    Yes, you can change from being the guy pinned. I haven't played HUT, but I'm sure it's just like Online VS. I haven't had these issues and I'm 70 games deep into Online VS. Is it happening from hard dumps, pucks bouncing into the zone?

You don't, because you can't. The guy doesn't know what he's talking about. The only way you can change from the guy being pinned is if the guy being pinned no longer has the puck.

That's what I figured.
    PSN : GordonRamsey
    Club : Midnight Express
  • Sorry, I should've clarified that you need to use the sticks to move away from the puck before you switch. No need for everyone to get so effing huffy and ignorant about it. Relax.

As for you Nathan, I don't know. The 'version' I have is the same as yours. Maybe it's the way I defend and my goalie doesn't have to come out and chase pucks. Who knows, Im about 70 games deep into 17 online versus and it's been a non issue for me and hasn't been a problem for my opponents.