EA Forums - Banner

Ideas for passing and skating

Prev1
I know, for a fact, that replicating hockey is hard enough as it is. This game has its quirks but my friends and I manage to play it regularly and, aside from the nonsense, it really isn't bad.

Sure, it can be frustrating when you aren't "rewarded" for trying to play authentically online, but, its a video game after all.

Question: How hard would it be to implement pressure sensitive passing? Rather than charging up and taking time could you not fully press it down quickly to throw a hard pass or depress it slower to throw a slower pass. Also, how about a pass meter like fifa, one that can be charged pre-puck reception to allow one touch passing and things like that? In truth, id be fine with the latter of the options here because that would, at least, allow you to know if the pass meter filled up/projected power.

Lastly, skating. Guys, this is the worst part. While strides have been made in making it better my friends and I jokingly call this game "Tug boat 17" or "Dump Truck Simulator 17". There needs to be a better focus on A. stopping on a dime. B. Acceleration.

Thoughts?

Replies

  • A meter would probably be useful just to gauge the difference in how long it takes to queue up a stronger pass vs a weaker one, but it's something that I'd only want to see in practice mode. I'm not sure the difference is very long to even warrant this but it'd certainly be interesting.

    And as far as the skating, it's a bit more complicated than saying stopping on a dime and acceleration.
  • strategg101
    823 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    I know, for a fact, that replicating hockey is hard enough as it is. This game has its quirks but my friends and I manage to play it regularly and, aside from the nonsense, it really isn't bad.

    Sure, it can be frustrating when you aren't "rewarded" for trying to play authentically online, but, its a video game after all.

    Question: How hard would it be to implement pressure sensitive passing? Rather than charging up and taking time could you not fully press it down quickly to throw a hard pass or depress it slower to throw a slower pass. Also, how about a pass meter like fifa, one that can be charged pre-puck reception to allow one touch passing and things like that? In truth, id be fine with the latter of the options here because that would, at least, allow you to know if the pass meter filled up/projected power.

    Lastly, skating. Guys, this is the worst part. While strides have been made in making it better my friends and I jokingly call this game "Tug boat 17" or "Dump Truck Simulator 17". There needs to be a better focus on A. stopping on a dime. B. Acceleration.

    Thoughts?

    Ahhh no i will brake more controllers. as far as i know you can hold down the pass button once received you let go. least thats what im doing. in Eashl anyway.

    No problem adding a 3 second stop delay for top speed stops. acceleration increase should be proportional to energy lvl, and decrease the further into the period you are. Unless your conservative.

  • strategg101
    823 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    The biggest problem with skating is that the puck carrier is the most agile, and accelerates faster than eveyone else. It should be the opposite.

    This game is and always has been all about offense (dangle, snipe, cellebrate).

    you should never find yourself behind the puck carrier unless your team is in possession. And only ahead for breakout.

  • eric57664
    240 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    The biggest problem with skating is that the puck carrier is the most agile, and accelerates faster than eveyone else. It should be the opposite.

    This game is and always has been all about offense (dangle, snipe, cellebrate).

    That's not true. The puck carrier has always been slower. As for being more agile, well it could be because he is slower. The slower you are, the more agile you are. And are you comparing the agility of a defender to a puck carrier while the puck carrier is in the corner or skating forwards and the defender is skating backwards or trying to face the play in the corner?

    Those are two different situations. When they are skating side by side, easily the defender catches the puck carrier and the puck carrier does have more agulru because controlling the puck does slow you down and as I've said, the slower you are, the more agility you have.

    The game is doing exactly what it's suppose to do. What else do you want from it? Limit the puck carrier? I don't understand what you're saying without actually saying anything legit about each side of the puck.
  • eric57664 wrote: »
    The biggest problem with skating is that the puck carrier is the most agile, and accelerates faster than eveyone else. It should be the opposite.

    This game is and always has been all about offense (dangle, snipe, cellebrate).

    That's not true. The puck carrier has always been slower. As for being more agile, well it could be because he is slower. The slower you are, the more agile you are. And are you comparing the agility of a defender to a puck carrier while the puck carrier is in the corner or skating forwards and the defender is skating backwards or trying to face the play in the corner?

    Those are two different situations. When they are skating side by side, easily the defender catches the puck carrier and the puck carrier does have more agulru because controlling the puck does slow you down and as I've said, the slower you are, the more agility you have.

    The game is doing exactly what it's suppose to do. What else do you want from it? Limit the puck carrier? I don't understand what you're saying without actually saying anything legit about each side of the puck.

    I'll tell ya what I want. I want the defensive player to be able to skate, turn, glide, etc. the way a REAL defenseman can in a REAL game. I also want the offensive player to be bound by REAL-LIFE rules. For example, you FALL when you skate into the boards full speed. You try to "ballerina" your way through the defense you either lose the puck and/or fall down. Also, stringing together deke after deke needs to result in accelerated loss of stamina, and stamina NEEDS to be a thing for once.

    That's my opinion though.
  • The puck carrier can skate as fast as he wants, instantly slow down then hit a button and instantly become more agile and retain possesion of the puck far more easily then he should be able to. A defender doesn't have that option. There is no button they can push that makes them instantly more agile. It's all momentum strides for a defender while slowing them down is a death sentence.
  • strategg101
    823 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    L2 works to negate some of the lack of agility. Honestly I dont see a problem here at all. Im not sure what the issue is other then bad positioning. defender can wave his stick around, pin to the boards and hit the opponent. Match the speed of the skater while back skating and he will start to slow down. As you are pokechecking you are slowing down. Then the backcheckers come and take the puck.
    If you get dangled your screwed.

    But L2 is a must. almost all times in the defensive zone.

    Ohh and I use the least agile player.
  • eric57664 wrote: »
    The biggest problem with skating is that the puck carrier is the most agile, and accelerates faster than eveyone else. It should be the opposite.

    This game is and always has been all about offense (dangle, snipe, cellebrate).

    That's not true. The puck carrier has always been slower. As for being more agile, well it could be because he is slower. The slower you are, the more agile you are. And are you comparing the agility of a defender to a puck carrier while the puck carrier is in the corner or skating forwards and the defender is skating backwards or trying to face the play in the corner?

    Those are two different situations. When they are skating side by side, easily the defender catches the puck carrier and the puck carrier does have more agulru because controlling the puck does slow you down and as I've said, the slower you are, the more agility you have.

    The game is doing exactly what it's suppose to do. What else do you want from it? Limit the puck carrier? I don't understand what you're saying without actually saying anything legit about each side of the puck.

    I'll tell ya what I want. I want the defensive player to be able to skate, turn, glide, etc. the way a REAL defenseman can in a REAL game. I also want the offensive player to be bound by REAL-LIFE rules. For example, you FALL when you skate into the boards full speed. You try to "ballerina" your way through the defense you either lose the puck and/or fall down. Also, stringing together deke after deke needs to result in accelerated loss of stamina, and stamina NEEDS to be a thing for once.

    That's my opinion though.


    I would also like to see falls, maybe next year. I can gaurantee i will not like them. :lol:
    would be the hardest thing to balance, Defense fall skating backwards, fowards fall dekeing, turning, losing edges. I dont know if they could do it and have it balanced
  • A defensemen can't match the speed of a forward unless he picks offensive d man that eliminates any notion of hitting and backskating really? Any half decent forward will burn you on a break out if your back skating. It takes time to wave your stick which you'll just get a penalty for tripping unless you mean poke checking?
  • eric57664 wrote: »
    The biggest problem with skating is that the puck carrier is the most agile, and accelerates faster than eveyone else. It should be the opposite.

    This game is and always has been all about offense (dangle, snipe, cellebrate).

    That's not true. The puck carrier has always been slower. As for being more agile, well it could be because he is slower. The slower you are, the more agile you are. And are you comparing the agility of a defender to a puck carrier while the puck carrier is in the corner or skating forwards and the defender is skating backwards or trying to face the play in the corner?

    Those are two different situations. When they are skating side by side, easily the defender catches the puck carrier and the puck carrier does have more agulru because controlling the puck does slow you down and as I've said, the slower you are, the more agility you have.

    The game is doing exactly what it's suppose to do. What else do you want from it? Limit the puck carrier? I don't understand what you're saying without actually saying anything legit about each side of the puck.

    I'll tell ya what I want. I want the defensive player to be able to skate, turn, glide, etc. the way a REAL defenseman can in a REAL game. I also want the offensive player to be bound by REAL-LIFE rules. For example, you FALL when you skate into the boards full speed. You try to "ballerina" your way through the defense you either lose the puck and/or fall down. Also, stringing together deke after deke needs to result in accelerated loss of stamina, and stamina NEEDS to be a thing for once.

    That's my opinion though.

    Somewhat agree. Both rules apply to puck carrier and non puck carrier so the boards are not live for either side of the puck. So there's no advantage here on either side. Both teams have this ability.

    As well as, you shouldn't be falling in a video game. That would not be fun because we can't, as a gamer, control our body angle on the ice when turning. Everything is done automatically so there has to be some leeway as what goes and what doesn't.

    When it comes to stamina, how can that ever be relevant when we are playing a mode that consists of no line changes plus playing in 5 minute periods.

    If you want to start throwing realistic effects to gameplay, that's fine, but you can't use it here because the game is what it is right now, not what you want it to be so that still doesn't size up with what happened in the video.

  • eric57664 wrote: »
    eric57664 wrote: »
    The biggest problem with skating is that the puck carrier is the most agile, and accelerates faster than eveyone else. It should be the opposite.

    This game is and always has been all about offense (dangle, snipe, cellebrate).

    That's not true. The puck carrier has always been slower. As for being more agile, well it could be because he is slower. The slower you are, the more agile you are. And are you comparing the agility of a defender to a puck carrier while the puck carrier is in the corner or skating forwards and the defender is skating backwards or trying to face the play in the corner?

    Those are two different situations. When they are skating side by side, easily the defender catches the puck carrier and the puck carrier does have more agulru because controlling the puck does slow you down and as I've said, the slower you are, the more agility you have.

    The game is doing exactly what it's suppose to do. What else do you want from it? Limit the puck carrier? I don't understand what you're saying without actually saying anything legit about each side of the puck.

    I'll tell ya what I want. I want the defensive player to be able to skate, turn, glide, etc. the way a REAL defenseman can in a REAL game. I also want the offensive player to be bound by REAL-LIFE rules. For example, you FALL when you skate into the boards full speed. You try to "ballerina" your way through the defense you either lose the puck and/or fall down. Also, stringing together deke after deke needs to result in accelerated loss of stamina, and stamina NEEDS to be a thing for once.

    That's my opinion though.

    Somewhat agree. Both rules apply to puck carrier and non puck carrier so the boards are not live for either side of the puck. So there's no advantage here on either side. Both teams have this ability.

    As well as, you shouldn't be falling in a video game. That would not be fun because we can't, as a gamer, control our body angle on the ice when turning. Everything is done automatically so there has to be some leeway as what goes and what doesn't.

    When it comes to stamina, how can that ever be relevant when we are playing a mode that consists of no line changes plus playing in 5 minute periods.

    If you want to start throwing realistic effects to gameplay, that's fine, but you can't use it here because the game is what it is right now, not what you want it to be so that still doesn't size up with what happened in the video.

    That makes sense when you state it that way. I will say though that maybe the stamina problem I spoke of wouldn't be so bad if the defense could actually keep up with the movements of the player with the puck. Example of that is when you get experienced players "ragging the puck" in their own zone because no matter how you skate or how you set your strategies you cannot touch him. That's been a problem even in old-gen as well.
  • strategg101
    823 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Youratv wrote: »
    A defensemen can't match the speed of a forward unless he picks offensive d man that eliminates any notion of hitting and backskating really? Any half decent forward will burn you on a break out if your back skating. It takes time to wave your stick which you'll just get a penalty for tripping unless you mean poke checking?


    way wrong on that, you know the idea of defense is to be between the puck and your net at all times right? so give yourself enough time/ice to be able to do that. it varies from class to class. I use Enforcer so as soon as the puck changes possession in the offensive zoneand the pinch is not available or too risky(which it is most of the time) I am already skating backwards calculating speed and checking outlets and begin applying pressure when needed. Buying the forecheckers enough time to get back while applying pressure at the red, but mostly blue line Dzone.

    Rarely do i get beat by anyone, unless its a very bad turnover by the offense, a misread. Or i feel like hitting. lol

  • Youratv
    260 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    I also play as an enforcer. So you already know you can't stand next to a forward, they will beat you so you can't match their speed. Your not always supposed to be inbetween the player and the net. Coming backwards sometimes it's better to steer them into an angle the goalie can easily cover. It's rare someone gets behind me but it does happen which is why i preach limit d to d passes at the point since they are the number 1 cause of breakaways, number 2, player coming out of the box, also rare but it happens. So I'm not wrong since you have to play back to compensate for the speed of a forward. Skate to skate they will burn you.
  • strategg101
    823 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    i have caught forwards as an enforcer on the backcheck as well catching up enough to poke the puck away on breakaways. So yes you are. Certain classes are or at least appear to be quicker then others so thats a given. but its still possible.
  • You mean the lucky desperation poke that your glad wasn't a penalty shot?
  • nope, i keep enough distance and no my range to not trip them.


  • Youratv
    260 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    I would like to see a video of a forward passing you going straight at the goalie full speed (not on an angle) and you catching them.
  • strategg101
    823 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Im almost always on an angle. the shooter is usually going straight.

    its usually a race from the offensive zone on a bad turnover, maybe a few feet head start or flush even. But as a defenseman my sprint is almost always available. Unsure of the availability of theirs. Im sure someone can post one. im not sure how to do that stuff, but i can stream.
  • Im honestly shocked that you havent seen or done that.
  • Your only gonna catch em if it's on an angle from the other side. Right next to you he's already got momentum. If it wasn't that way d men could hang out half way up in the o zone and not get beaten.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!