EA Forums - Banner

Longtime NHL Series user thoughts on 17...and 18.

I’ve been playing since NHL ’94, play it all year round. I even suggested the Create a Team option being a Hartford area resident and dreaming of the Hurricanes coming back as the Whalers. So thank you for adding that back on NHL 17 with all the new bells and whistles.
I only play Franchise Mode so here’s my thoughts on NHL 17 and where you can maybe go:
Is there a way you can insert a Winter Classic in place of the All-Star Game? It would be awesome to have the user-controlled team play a Winter Classic on the first home game in January, every season in Franchise Mode. It could even be some generic stadium design, like the EA Sports Stadium. Just miss those graphics, the snow falling, the walk across the field etc. It’s the biggest non-Cup event of the season and is missing completely.
I love the career milestone announcements/celebrations but want to be able to view career Totals under a player’s bio. The game knows a player just scored his 200th Goal and show his career stats with him sitting on the bench, but aside from that and the Retired Players screen, there’s no way to check running totals.
Playing Issues:
I sim the first 10 games, play the 11th, and in the game, the Alternate Captain forward has been replaced by the Captain, even when the Captain is a D. So the Captain is on two lines and gets credit for playing 2 games. By season’s end he was winding up with 85-86 Games Played depending on how many times this happened, while the replaced Alternate appeared to have missed 3-4 games.
All CPU-controlled team captains changed to A’s, stripped Ovechkin, Crosby, Toews et al. I think this has been reported.
Please finally get rid of the Amateur Scout popup every Monday. I’ve never used it and all it does is interrupt by Sim.
While in my second year of a 25-year Franchise Mode sim, the created jerseys for my created team hiccupped and stretched the logo over the shoulders of the sweater. So they still had the logo, but an outline of the logo was stitched hugely over the shoulders and wrapped around the waist, matching the colors of the sweater where it appeared. It stayed like that for several weeks-worth of schedule before the game crashed (simply threw me out to the main menu without warning), and when I reloaded Last Saved, the issue was fixed. Don’t know if anyone else has reported this.
And I much preferred the old color chart when designing uniforms than this inaccurate wheel.

Replies

• I think the gameplay needs a re work more than anything here. Don't distract the devs! lol

I am curious how you stay interested in franchise mode though. Does it not get boring playing alone? I feel like I can get a good night or 2 out of it and then I have a crazy stacked team & remember I'm playing basically against myself.

I'm just interested in hearing how you keep it fresh when you can't play and trade with real people. I like some competition. It feels rewarding.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    92' sega genesis NHLPA here.

They have all been very popular and fun to play arcade games, all the way thru NHL 12. NHL 13 the game changed from arcade to simulation which in my opinion and many others was the start of the death of this franchise which was already small to begin with. NHL 17 appears to have brought back some feel of arcade which is good, I'm enjoying NHL 17 so far because of it. NHL 17 appears to be a blend, better skating control with randomness of soft goals and **** bounces of a simulation. I'll take it over NHL 13, 14, 15 and 16 but would love to have NHL 09, 10, 11, even 12 back however.

We need more arcade, its a game, games should be fun, not a chore.
  • D19Box
    102 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    I think the gameplay needs a re work more than anything here. Don't distract the devs! lol

I am curious how you stay interested in franchise mode though. Does it not get boring playing alone? I feel like I can get a good night or 2 out of it and then I have a crazy stacked team & remember I'm playing basically against myself.

I'm just interested in hearing how you keep it fresh when you can't play and trade with real people. I like some competition. It feels rewarding.

I play both EASHL and Franchise. I'm more of a Franchise guy at heart because I've owned every copy since NHLPA '92 on Sega. Offline was it for nearly 20 years. EASHL is fun for me because I get to talk and **** with my buddies I don't live near. And I'm all EASHL right now because I don't start a franchise until the season opening week roster update comes out because EA's NHL is still in the Stone Age without roster share.

But I will say if you're willing to take the time to work with the sliders the offline game plays better than EASHL/online. I put it on Superstar and make it very difficult to win. Put trading on Hard. Make deals more difficult to get the right players and draft well to keep up. Also, most people online try to score the same ways over and over. But lower puck control to 0 so the bubble and skating through anything is gone, tweak hitting and poke check, and you can have a wild and far more organic type of game offline. Your 70's won't be able to play like your 85's. I also have a friend that likes to pick a recent basement team with me (Carolina, Calgary in '14, New Jersey and Buffalo in '15) and rebuild it together. We'll talk our draft/trade strategy and drink beer. Think fantasy hockey.

If you don't tweak sliders and make a challenge I could see the offline game getting dull. I set mine up like a "David vs Goliath" challenge and it's great. It really does keep it interesting and it's cool to finally win a Cup 5-6 years in with players you drafted. And obviously EASHL gives me a great alternative. I can drink beer either way, haha.
    Visit my NHL/Bruins blog: BostonPucks.com
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    92' sega genesis NHLPA here.

They have all been very popular and fun to play arcade games, all the way thru NHL 12. NHL 13 the game changed from arcade to simulation which in my opinion and many others was the start of the death of this franchise which was already small to begin with. NHL 17 appears to have brought back some feel of arcade which is good, I'm enjoying NHL 17 so far because of it. NHL 17 appears to be a blend, better skating control with randomness of soft goals and ****. bounces of a simulation. I'll take it over NHL 13, 14, 15 and 16 but would love to have NHL 09, 10, 11, even 12 back however.

We need more arcade, its a game, games should be fun, not a chore.

NHL92 Sega Genesis as well (REALLY WISH EA would bring back highlights of other games). Games should be fun I agree but I have ZERO interest in going back to the days of NHL92. IF I really wanted to relive my youth I would go to my basement, go into the Rubbermaid bin that has my youth and dust off my Genesis and NHL92 and play. I'm 43, I've grown up and matured past that Blue Ice / No Rules / 14-13 style game. It's 2016 and we have this wonderful technology in hand, I want a MORE Realistic type game. I would rather play the newest COD / Battlefield than go back and play Contra (I must admit, I played the H e l l out of Metal Gear on NES).
  • D19Box wrote: »
    I think the gameplay needs a re work more than anything here. Don't distract the devs! lol

I play both EASHL and Franchise. I'm more of a Franchise guy at heart because I've owned every copy since NHLPA '92 on Sega. Offline was it for nearly 20 years. EASHL is fun for me because I get to talk and **** with my buddies I don't live near. And I'm all EASHL right now because I don't start a franchise until the season opening week roster update comes out because EA's NHL is still in the Stone Age without roster share.

But I will say if you're willing to take the time to work with the sliders the offline game plays better than EASHL/online. I put it on Superstar and make it very difficult to win. Put trading on Hard. Make deals more difficult to get the right players and draft well to keep up. Also, most people online try to score the same ways over and over. But lower puck control to 0 so the bubble and skating through anything is gone, tweak hitting and poke check, and you can have a wild and far more organic type of game offline. Your 70's won't be able to play like your 85's. I also have a friend that likes to pick a recent basement team with me (Carolina, Calgary in '14, New Jersey and Buffalo in '15) and rebuild it together. We'll talk our draft/trade strategy and drink beer. Think fantasy hockey.

If you don't tweak sliders and make a challenge I could see the offline game getting dull. I set mine up like a "David vs Goliath" challenge and it's great. It really does keep it interesting and it's cool to finally win a Cup 5-6 years in with players you drafted. And obviously EASHL gives me a great alternative. I can drink beer either way, haha.

I appreciate you trying, but I went easy and had to force myself to not rip the computer gms off and won the cup year 2 with Florida. Pres trophy in year 1. Didn't play my games year 1 because it is a complete bore vs the cpu. Hardest difficulty simmed and jumped in whenever losing in year 2 playoffs. Guess I'm a genius if you guys actually struggle at all with this ;)

I think it's a huge skill gap thing again like a lot of the debates on these forums. In nhl 14 we had an awesome connected league and the weak opponents enjoyed playing the cpu and frequently lost while the skilled players would win 10-1 padding their player stats no matter what difficulty we set it at. Most would just simulate cpu games to avoid how boring it was steam rolling them every time. Some of us found it really interesting how the low skilled players enjoyed playing the cpu and even lost important games missing the playoffs some years! It makes no sense that some people can't pick up the simple patterns the AI uses while other people need about 10 games and they never lose again to the CPU.