EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 CHEL NOTES - HUT Deep dive

Andrew Marks HUT Producer and Nicholas Shewchuk Live Content Producer discuss HUT in NHL 20.
Check it out here.

HUT Singleplayer thoughts

It's much better than it was in NHL16. But there are still some things that make playing against the AI feel annoying.

In NHL16 no matter who was the goalie, he was going to let in few weak goals every game. This has been fixed in NHL17. But still, getting a high save% for your goalie is hard, because AI only shoots good shots. In real life I'm pretty sure that once in a while even NHL players shoot from unlikely scoring positions, which usually results in a easy save for goalie. On superstar difficulty I usually let AI shoot 10-15 shots on goal. and even giving up 2 goals result in a bad S% for my goalie. I would like if AI would shoot more, and not just from sure positions.(only problem on Superstar difficulty)

The other thing is the super-mode that AI sometimes enters, this was present in NHL16 and still is. Sometimes AI just decides to play perfectly making dozen of perfect passes in few seconds. No matter how hard you try to break their play, you just cant, AI is playing too flawlessly. In this kind of situation you might just pray that you somehow manage to clear the puck to stop the situation. This kind of play feels very artificial and unfair. I would say that CPU scores maybe one quarter of it's goals during this kind of situations, so removing it ,or maybe just tuning it down a bit, shouldn't lower AI goal scoring too much. (Happens on Superstar, AllStar, and even on Pro sometimes)

But there is clearly progress made compared to NHL16, so thanks for that.

Replies

• It's funny playing silver teams at all-star level, their pass% is around 94 in some games. I wonder if single-player sliders have any effect on HUT solo? I've been fiddling with them recently, and HUT solo games seem a little different. Since the game defines standard difficulty for the games, it would appear custom sliders do not apply?

But some in games recently, I've been beaten by CPU at all-star level in over-time. But then again I've taken easy 5-0 wins at the same level. So it's not consistent. In some games, when the CPU enters the scoring mode, all you can do is cover passing lanes and hope for the best. Just get the puck out of your zone, and it will pass in a while. But it's true you can see clearly when the CPU has decided to score. And far too often the CPU goalies go in god mode, no matter what level they are.
  • Yes !! This "AI scoring mode" is really annoying. Also I noticed it often happens in the 3rd period, when you're winning and then the AI scores 2-3 goals in a minute just to make the game even... really frustrating.
  • I struggle more against AHL teams. I can smoke NHL teams 10-2 on Allstar but just squeak 5-4 wins to AHL teams.

Playing Hershey on Superstar almost had me break a controller last night. Lost 6-5 and only allowed 14 shots. CPU basically scores every other shot on superstar.
  • I'm having same issues. FRUSTRATING! On a related note, does the ping response on single player have any affect on gameplay? Sometimes after a game I've seen it less than 25ms and most times recently over 300ms. I have a hardwired Telus 50 internet connection. Thanks.
  • In single player games it always shows a poor connection because there is no connection during gameplay.
  • #icetiltisreal
  • Well, in single player HUT there seems to be connection, since one game was aborted with connection lost to EA servers, so I got a loss from that and the following game (due to game crashing). Not sure if it's used, but it needs to be on.
  • From my kind of view the game play for the single player games has sightly improved. I aslo realize more penalties for the AI and less penalties for me after approx. 100 offline games.

On the other hand the game is still absolutely not consisitent. You win 10-20 games in a row with 5-10 goals difference and than you loose because the AI intend to do so. When the AI wants to score, there is very less you can do against it. Checking the oppenent - they still skate and shot without any impact. Covering the passing ways - the pass through your legs. You try to get the puck out of the zone - the AI catches all passes. With each rebound, poke check etc. the puck went back to the AI... and finally the AI scores. In additon the AI goalie is almost unbeatable usually in combination with more shots on the post or crossbar.

At least there is some progress with my own goalies. Last year all my highend goalies (94 to 98 ratings) had safe percentages in the 88% range. Now I´m able to achieve 91% with Crawford and 90% with Schneider. However, I still have other goalies with 87-88 percentages. Overall I´m less frustrated with my goalies than last year and from time to time they even achive a shotout.
  • It's much better than it was in NHL16. But there are still some things that make playing against the AI feel annoying.

In NHL16 no matter who was the goalie, he was going to let in few weak goals every game. This has been fixed in NHL17. But still, getting a high save% for your goalie is hard, because AI only shoots good shots. In real life I'm pretty sure that once in a while even NHL players shoot from unlikely scoring positions, which usually results in a easy save for goalie. On superstar difficulty I usually let AI shoot 10-15 shots on goal. and even giving up 2 goals result in a bad S% for my goalie. I would like if AI would shoot more, and not just from sure positions.(only problem on Superstar difficulty)

The other thing is the super-mode that AI sometimes enters, this was present in NHL16 and still is. Sometimes AI just decides to play perfectly making dozen of perfect passes in few seconds. No matter how hard you try to break their play, you just cant, AI is playing too flawlessly. In this kind of situation you might just pray that you somehow manage to clear the puck to stop the situation. This kind of play feels very artificial and unfair. I would say that CPU scores maybe one quarter of it's goals during this kind of situations, so removing it ,or maybe just tuning it down a bit, shouldn't lower AI goal scoring too much. (Happens on Superstar, AllStar, and even on Pro sometimes)

But there is clearly progress made compared to NHL16, so thanks for that.

Get better, I've lost one game in two years on all-star against the CPU
  • All I can say about single player is that I can't win a fight to save me. Do well online, but single player I get rocked. Just the other night I had Klingberg put a beating on my Lindros. Couldn't believe it
  • Lindros was prolly concussed but you forced him to play
  • It's all in your head, bud. By the way, what is that on your head ? Maybe what you are experiencing is ice tilt, but if you don't believe in ice tilt, it must all be in your head and you basically suck... Right?

Don't worry. I'm not great at the game, but I don't need to make excuses like icetilt or other imaginary stuff. Just saying that AI's play could use some work to make it feel more fun :blush:
  • h8ttrick wrote: »
    Lindros was prolly concussed but you forced him to play

^ This is money.
  • I struggle more against AHL teams. I can smoke NHL teams 10-2 on Allstar but just squeak 5-4 wins to AHL teams.

Playing Hershey on Superstar almost had me break a controller last night. Lost 6-5 and only allowed 14 shots. CPU basically scores every other shot on superstar.

I played Hershey on pro yesterday on single player mode, I was winning 6-0 with 10 in the 3rd and they scored 3 goals in about 2 minutes, I couldn't do anything and this was on pro. The whole game I couldn't skate faster than their D backskating with my 88+ players, such a huge broken mess.
  • Single player was fun for the first month until they tuned it to be broken.