EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

Should I come over from PS3 NHL 14?

Prev1
Been through every page here and I'm still a bit confused on the consensus.

I'm behind the curve and still on NHL 14 PS3.
I *only* play offline and always play with sliders as close to "simulation" oriented as possible for full seasons.

Good move to go PS4 & NHL 17 or ?

Anything anyone wants to share would be most appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

Replies

• I'm not an offline guy but they apparently have a ton of sliders and settings to tinker with.
  • I don't play offline modes ever either, but these new-gen NHL games seem (from what I hear) to play A LOT better offline as there is zero delay/lag to deal with. If you are looking to mainly play online then steer clear of this series until EA can figure out some things (which they have NOT shown to be capable of thus far)
  • Thx for replies so far... I'm basically trying to figure out if people actually like the new gen gameplay vs PS3/XB360 era (slider adjustments aside)
  • Some do, some don't? I can't tell you what the general consensus is at all but if DJNeo was still around he'd be able to tell you why he thinks it's better. He was a gamechanger and was allegedly involved in this area of thr game. He's a big offline, sim, spend hours playing with sliders kind of guy which is the exact opposite of how I play and view this game
  • Meh, pick up 16 for a few bucks. 17 is not worth close to $100. Under $40 is a good deal.
  • Meh, pick up 16 for a few bucks. 17 is not worth close to $100. Under $40 is a good deal.

Thanks for reply... What I'm really trying to decide though is if going Next Gen is worth it at all
  • twoorb wrote: »
    Meh, pick up 16 for a few bucks. 17 is not worth close to $100. Under $40 is a good deal.

Thanks for reply... What I'm really trying to decide though is if going Next Gen is worth it at all

That all depends on what your expectations are and what you want from the game. If you already own a PS4 then pick up 16. Sure you can get it for under $20. If money is not an issue, then go for 17, although it is really 16.1. Offline changes are minimal and this is confirmed by EA.
  • twoorb
    52 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    twoorb wrote: »
    Meh, pick up 16 for a few bucks. 17 is not worth close to $100. Under $40 is a good deal.

That all depends on what your expectations are and what you want from the game. If you already own a PS4 then pick up 16. Sure you can get it for under $20. If money is not an issue, then go for 17, although it is really 16.1. Offline changes are minimal and this is confirmed by EA.

I don't have a PS4 yet. I sort of take these decisions a bit more seriously than some would in that I truly only ever play the NHL games and thus it's pretty pricey to go NextGen. I'm willing to if it's worth it...but it's amazing how many threads/posts seem to indicated "NHL14 was the best/better", "I miss Last Gen", etc..

I hate the thought of forking over for a PS4 + NHL 17 (or 16) only to be feeling "uhh...I totally prefer PS3/NHL 14" - you know?

Side note: I wouldn't even have a console if they still made PC NHL games
  • You may take a look at NHL Legacy on old-gen too. I just saw it for $9.89 on the Xbox Store. I feel as though the game plays more realistic (less VV T F moments) on old hardware. Just my opinion. I would recommend that WAY above NHL 16 on new-gen, though your potential pool of players are higher on new-gen.
  • Do NOT buy a ps4 just for NHL. That is definitely not worth it
  • Do not waste your money on PS4 , both 16 and 17 are awful for offline games.

I wish I had never upgraded, I am considering selling my PS4 as I do not play any other games then

Hockey.

And with no PS4 I won't be stupid and buy any more garbage EA Hockey games.
  • for online play yes

for offline play yes

yes
  • Do NOT buy a ps4 just for NHL. That is definitely not worth it

Fully agree here. Absolutely not worth it if you have no intentions of using it for other games. Truth is, NEVER buy a console for an NHL game, regardless if it is NHL 09 or NHL 24.

Think about it. Gonna fork over $500+ for a single game that has had low review scores for the last 6 years?

Apparently there is a group out there that use NHL 2002 (i think 2002, not 100% sure) on PC and are constantly updating it. Graphics, rosters, etc. Still have people playing seasons and leagues. Maybe look into it?
  • twoorb
    52 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Do NOT buy a ps4 just for NHL. That is definitely not worth it

Fully agree here. Absolutely not worth it if you have no intentions of using it for other games. Truth is, NEVER buy a console for an NHL game, regardless if it is NHL 09 or NHL 24.

Think about it. Gonna fork over $500+ for a single game that has had low review scores for the last 6 years?

Apparently there is a group out there that use NHL 2002 (i think 2002, not 100% sure) on PC and are constantly updating it. Graphics, rosters, etc. Still have people playing seasons and leagues. Maybe look into it?

I think that's NHL 04 - Tried that route - I can't handle the way the players move in that game. Just *too* old for me, even with all the amazing update work

Re: never buy a console just for a NHL game - The thing is that the equation is always that way for me as I only have the PS3 for the same reason really (since mid 2000's when NHL PC was a current thing). It's more of "is it worth it to move up to NextGen", and it sure sounds mixed..

Do NOT buy a ps4 just for NHL. That is definitely not worth it

I think that's NHL 04 - Tried that route - I can't handle the way the players move in that game. Just *too* old for me, even with all the amazing update work

Well then I suggest you stick to the PS3. Maybe pick up Legacy as someone else mentioned.
  • I guess a final way to ask this is:

If you could be given a PS4 w/ a copy of any NHL NextGen or a PS3 copy w/ any copy of it's versions of NHL and could/would only use the console for that...

Which would you go with?
    (so cost no object and only for NHL usage)
    I guess a final way to ask this is:

If you could be given a PS4 w/ a copy of any NHL NextGen or a PS3 copy w/ any copy of it's versions of NHL and could/would only use the console for that...

Which would you go with?
    (so cost no object and only for NHL usage)

Let me add one more stipulation to that. ASSUMING the player counts are identical on all platforms and all included game modes are still fully supported I would take the PS3 or 360 version of the game hands down. Though not perfect, they have been making those versions since 2006 or so and feel more refined than anything we have now.

But, the fact of the matter is that there are 15,000 or so players online at any given time on each of the new consoles (One and PS4) where it's less than 1,000 per old system on NHL 15 or Legacy.

It comes down to whether or not you want a better game (NHL Legacy) or larger player base (NHL 17). You can't have both.

If you're a console gamer and you like the NHL series (and EA titles in general), pick up an Xbox1, buy EA access for a year ($25 US) and you get all of last year's sports games for 25 bucks. As long as you have the membership, you get FIFA/Madden/NHL/NBA live 16 for no extra charge. That'd be the way I went if I was a dedicated offline gamer such as yourself.
  • HipNotiiCx wrote: »
    twoorb wrote: »

If you're a console gamer and you like the NHL series (and EA titles in general), pick up an Xbox1, buy EA access for a year ($25 US) and you get all of last year's sports games for 25 bucks. As long as you have the membership, you get FIFA/Madden/NHL/NBA live 16 for no extra charge. That'd be the way I went if I was a dedicated offline gamer such as yourself.

Interesting idea - Thanks for sharing that.

Going next gen at all is still the key decision for me.

Appreciate all the responses - Thanks to all who contributed.