EA Forums - Banner

[Official] Patch 1.03 Feedback

Replies

• NHLDev wrote: »
    Years ago I wrote a post trying to convince EA to talk to the community more. I explained what you detailed above is exactly what would happen. The community would unleash their frustration after years of neglect and sub-par game releases, and then when the dust settled, everything would get better. Posters would behave better, more feedback would come out, and the mods could spend their time cultivating info instead of banning/hiding trolls. Cool to know I was right. **** EA didn't try it here. At least the devs will be back in the lead up to 18. Wonder if the customers will be as well.

First post may as well be the one jumping into the fire. Since the new forums went up, I haven't had an account on here, but I definitely want to make it clear that we have read everything that people have had to say.

Unfortunately, a lot of what I said from the previous account on the last forum holds true. We can't talk about too much before it is released -- or at least we can't confi
    phil7488 wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    phil7488 wrote: »
    EVerk81 wrote: »
    It's lose-lose for EA whenever they do anything.

Whine for weeks that there isn't a patch update...Now we'll whine for weeks about the fixes they put in.

Gee, wonder why they don't come around here very often. Such a swell community

They have no clue how to communicate with a community. They've been given generous amounts of feedback and we get this.

Not that I'm apologizing for them, but Devs aren't really supposed to be wasting their time coming on the forums and giving the user base any direct answers.

The Codemasters Formula One community was in the same dire straights last year, and then they hired a COMMUNITY MANAGER. She basically was the middle person between us and the devs. She collected feedback and issues, sorted them out and gave them to the devs in a much more "streamlined" manner than what a forum can provide.

The result is that F1 2016 is a vastly superior product and the community is spending it's time posting QUESTIONS and IDEAS on the forums 2 months into the game's life instead of posting HATE messages and threats as was the case mere weeks after the release of F1 2015.

Might be an idea to mull over at EA...

Sorry for the late response but I agree here. I advocated big time on the old forums this time last year that EA NHL needed a dedicated community manager exactly like how Bungie has it with the Destiny community. Say what you will about that game but the communication between Bungee and their community was dead on even 1 year post release. We simply don't have that here and the result is the "patch" that we received today

We actually do have team members sending reports each week that consolidate the key issues from the community across the different forums and social channels. It ranges in anything from rare bugs to new feature suggestions. I personally read them all and they get sent to various members of our production and development team. That is on top of personally navigating many of those same channels and reading the threads/posts/tweets first hand a lot of the time.

The patch that released on Day 0 is a result of listening to feedback as we finalized the disc and trying to improve the game and get the fixes and improvements into your hands as soon as possible. We really wanted to push for those to be there for launch.

It took us some time to fix some of the issues that were released in the patch today and it also takes time process wise to get patches cleared and approved.

We are continuing to look at more issues and are tracking items that can be looked at for a tuner as well but are limited in some ways to how transparent we can be about anything that isn't officially released yet as some things may not make it into the game.

As Venom said though, the more time we spend here, the less time, we are working with the engineers directly on new designs and/or fixes to existing issues. That is often why I am on here at odd/inconsistent hours so that it doesn't conflict with that part of my job.

Despite the belief of some, I do like being on these forums and talking about the game, how it works and how it can improve. That is what we do all day anyways, just not always on this forum. Would it be great if some of the tact was a bit better? Sure. But the negativity and drive for improvement is all valid to a certain degree since we all want the game to continue to get better. Unfortunately, we can't be as open here as we are in our development meetings but as a hockey fan and someone that wants to put the best experience in your hands, the feedback we get here and the ideas are all part of that process. Definitely keep the feedback coming.

Awesome to see you back
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • Ya. Wow, that's great to finally hear from somebody. I almost feel like we're being trolled here.
    More communication is definitely needed on these forums from somebody official (and no, BBunny doesn't count)

3 things I'd like to see in EASHL for the next update:
    1) the ability to choose which server your team wants to play on (east, west, europe). There are too many times that our team is playing on the wrong server.
    2) even when the network monitor says 16ms it can still feel very unresponsive similar to the home team captain lag situation from last year. This should be looked into. Possibly a similar fix as last year.
    3) less frequent rebound goals from throwing it on net from the far side (we all know what I'm talking about)

Thanks for reading.
  • Socair
    2415 posts Game Changer
    Ya. Wow, that's great to finally hear from somebody. I almost feel like we're being trolled here.
    More communication is definitely needed on these forums from somebody official (and no, BBunny doesn't count)

1) the ability to choose which server your team wants to play on (east, west, europe). There are too many times that our team is playing on the wrong server.
    2) even when the network monitor says 16ms it can still feel very unresponsive similar to the home team captain lag situation from last year. This should be looked into. Possibly a similar fix as last year.
    3) less frequent rebound goals from throwing it on net from the far side (we all know what I'm talking about)

Thanks for reading.

Agreed!
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Hotjoint
    67 posts Member
    edited October 2016
  • In franchise there is an issue where when you start a new season every players fighting tendencies is set to never, meaning that after year one of franchise fighting is essentially gone unless you are like me and spend the time to do each team just for the sake of having a realistic league. Can this please be looked into?

The steps to replicate this are pretty simple:
    1. Sim past the first season and sim the offseason since the results do not matter for troubleshooting steps.
    2. In preseason you can check the edit player screen and go into details and under the fighter section it is reset to "never" for every player in the league.

This never used to be a problem. Can anyone on the dev team look into this issue please? It is a time consuming process to have to set these at the start of each season if you are like me and like having the option to fight.
  • Franchise does have its issues..... in the second year of franchise I have yet to see a player score 40 goals during simulation( don't know if anyone else has this issue)... there seems to be a programming issue... for example Karl alzner had more shots on goal than Ovechkin.. thats real crappy for a franchise mode only player and its very unrealistic and completely ruined the game for me
  • Figeroux
    14 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    The goaltending in EASHL needs to be improved.

Firstly I think if the goalies were a bit bigger that would help. I don't feel that the 6'1'' goalie covers enough net. Someone could be in position and still get picked. The worst is when someone snipes you from a point shot on the rush when you know your goalie should of saved it easily.

A 6'3''/6'4'' goalie would be a good balance of size and maneuverability. NHL teams in real life love when they have a goalie who's that big or bigger and that can play so what can't we have that in EASHL?

I don't have faith in the 6'1'' goalie

Also the puck needs to stop going through the goalie so easily. They need to be able to swallow the puck a lot more better when it hits them instead of it bouncing off them and into the net. It tends to happen a lot.

Goalie covers need a bit of work too on wrap saves/puck in crease. If you save wraps, or really anything that leaves the puck in the crease, you see that your goalie struggles to pick up the puck afterwords, more than he should. It can take more than a few tries to grab the puck and that can leave the opposition more than enough time to easily poke the puck in.

To sum it all up the goalies need to be able to swallow the puck up better when it hits them instead of going through them, cover quicker and more successfully when the puck is loose in the crease after a big save, cover more of the net so that shots just can't trickle/sneak past them and into the net, even when they look like they're in position.

The offense is fine. The defense has improved. You don't need to and should not downgrade any of those parts of the game but just improve the goaltending and then things will be brighter.

• Ya. Wow, that's great to finally hear from somebody. I almost feel like we're being trolled here.

Thanks for reading.

This issue is NOT limited to EASHL. This is a universal online mode issue. It happened in all modes for me on both XB1 and PS4. These symptoms have been common in all versions of NHL for new-gen. It's just that this year we have actual numbers showing us that things should be A-OK when they are far from it.
  • Lol, what feedback? The ONLY gameplay fix included in this patch is the stick lift fix, which they broke after beta. They didn't address anything that was brought up on here regarding gameplay or any of the human goalie changes everyone wanted.
  • Figeroux wrote: »

Firstly I think if the goalies were a bit bigger that would help. I don't feel that the 6'1'' goalie covers enough net. Someone could be in position and still get picked. The worst is when someone snipes you from a point shot on the rush when you know your goalie should of saved it easily.

A 6'3''/6'4'' goalie would be a good balance of size and maneuverability. NHL teams in real life love when they have a goalie who's that big or bigger and that can play so what can't we have that in EASHL?

Also the puck needs to stop going through the goalie so easily. They need to be able to swallow the puck a lot more better when it hits them instead of it bouncing off them and into the net. It tends to happen a lot.

Goalie covers need a bit of work too on wrap saves/puck in crease. If you save wraps, or really anything that leaves the puck in the crease, you see that your goalie struggles to pick up the puck afterwords, more than he should. It can take more than a few tries to grab the puck and that can leave the opposition more than enough time to easily poke the puck in.

To sum it all up the goalies need to be able to swallow the puck up better when it hits them instead of going through them, cover quicker and more successfully when the puck is loose in the crease after a big save, cover more of the net so that shots just can't trickle/sneak past them and into the net, even when they look like they're in position.

The offense is fine. The defense has improved. You don't need to and should not downgrade any of those parts of the game but just improve the goaltending and then things will be brighter.

No...

Goalies need to be more mobile. The last thing we need is to go back to the days of NHL 12-13 EASHL goal line goalies that were 6'9", 160 lbs and were snatching everything staying perfectly still in the middle of the net.

Although I do agree that there needs to be different size goalies for different builds: Standup Goalies should be 6'4" and move like a ton of bricks, but they cove more of the net. Hybrid Goalies should be 6'0" but be extremely agile and mobile. Butterfly Goalies should stay the same.
  • Figeroux
    14 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Figeroux wrote: »

No...

Goalies need to be more mobile. The last thing we need is to go back to the days of NHL 12-13 EASHL goal line goalies that were 6'9", 160 lbs and were snatching everything staying perfectly still in the middle of the net.

Although I do agree that there needs to be different size goalies for different builds: Standup Goalies should be 6'4" and move like a ton of bricks, but they cove more of the net. Hybrid Goalies should be 6'0" but be extremely agile and mobile. Butterfly Goalies should stay the same.

That specific part of my post does not state I want 6'9'' goalies. It specifically implies that 6'3''/6'4'' would be more beneficial than 6'1''. Not sure where you get 6'9'' at.

The problem with making goalies different sizes is that everyone is going to play the biggest goalie. I am content with making them all the same size, it guarantees that people will try different things.
  • Why cant we use a null play by play name?
  • In franchise there is an issue where when you start a new season every players fighting tendencies is set to never, meaning that after year one of franchise fighting is essentially gone unless you are like me and spend the time to do each team just for the sake of having a realistic league. Can this please be looked into?

The steps to replicate this are pretty simple:
    1. Sim past the first season and sim the offseason since the results do not matter for troubleshooting steps.
    2. In preseason you can check the edit player screen and go into details and under the fighter section it is reset to "never" for every player in the league.

This never used to be a problem. Can anyone on the dev team look into this issue please? It is a time consuming process to have to set these at the start of each season if you are like me and like having the option to fight.

Brought this up on Facebook and got a response so hopefully they can fix this.

The no 40+ goal scorers and Alzner taking more shots than OV is disheartening
  • Mansikka3
    48 posts Member
    edited October 2016

Thanks for reading.

I agree with 1) and 3) definately. We are constantly on the wrong server. Rebounds and deflections are working too well. I was hoping these things would get adjusted in the patch, but maybe later? We are also getting weird error codes and freezes in the EASHL locker room, which would be nice to get fixed. What about pulling a human goalie? When are we going to see the human player there?

One thing that should be gone by now are the things hanging from the roof... Entry props etc. are blocking the view when playing with classic camera angle. Also we have had plenty of our games just disappear. Nothing feels quite as good as winning a top10 team and then finding out the game didn't count anywhere.

That's my "feedback", because the only thing in this patch was stick lift.

Edit: But overall I got to say that me and my EASHL team has been really enjoying this game. EASHL has been taking big steps forward since the disaster in 15. Good job on that.

No...

That specific part of my post does not state I want 6'9'' goalies. It specifically implies that 6'3''/6'4'' would be more beneficial than 6'1''. Not sure where you get 6'9'' at.

The problem with making goalies different sizes is that everyone is going to play the biggest goalie. I am content with making them all the same size, it guarantees that people will try different things.

Goalie size is not the issue. Halak outperforms ANY goalie in this game regardless of which mode is played.

The fixes that are required are:

LESS input delay. It is slightly better than 16, but only slightly. Even if you were to argue it is alot better, that is just admitting it is still present.

Rebounds need WAY better control. Pads always butterfly and kick out in the same exact angles. No goalie has one specific angle, so don't see why it is the same angle in the game. Even the spread eagle is always the same.

Blocker saves need to be really cleaned up. They are horrendous and honestly every blocker side shot makes me nervous. Goalies have much better control with their blockers than it is in this game.

Precision movement needs a speed boost. Way too slow. Ideally, this should be user adjustable with a slider.

Goalie class description leads to alot of confusion. Standup has nothing to do with the actual style. It is just higher ratings on high shots. IMO, it is meaningless as you get sniped just as easily as butterfly class.

Goalies still lock up on one-timers.

Save animations still override controller input. If I hold down the butterfly button, my goalie should stay down in the butterfly. The butterfly saves can be pretty much broken down into 2 classifications: Blocking and Reactionary. Holding down butterfly should lock my goalie into a blocking stance and not into a reactionary style of saves.

The bubble near the goal line has to go. It is still way too intrusive.

When I go paddle down, regardless of center of crease or hugging a post, I should be ably to move my stick around, much like the defensive skill stick did for players back in the day.

Post hugging needs to be cleaned up. It is too sticky and clunky. We should be able to come off the post by an inch, or be 5 feet if we chose to. Releasing post hug should have the goalie just barely come off the post without moving his skates, or having to push off it.

Post-to-post is still too slow and predictable. Most NHL goalies practically have BOTH skates touching both posts. I am not saying this is how it should be in EASHL, but a better compromise is required.

Slide distance should be determined by how long we hold the slide button (or the RS). We cannot simulate a really hard push as it is. Sure, the L2 does a half decent job of it, but again it is too predictable on power and distance.

Standing post hug is just a disaster as is. It is unusable and extremely sticky. It should be changed. I suggest maybe the goalie have only one skate along the post when player is deep behind the goal line and as he gets into a more dangerous position near the goal line, the goalie can start to gradually have his whole body along the post. There is a similar function as is with the RVH.

When a puck is cleared and coming towards the net, it is never certain how our goalie will react to the puck. Sometimes he plays it with his stick, sometimes not, sometimes he fumbles it and other times just doesn't react. If we hold the puck cover button, can the goalie drop down and smother the puck when it reaches him? These weird reactions are worse when skating to the puck than just standing and waiting for it to come to us.

Puck covering up has to be faster and crisp. Goalies just don't drop down. Then can also throw themselves down, which is obviously faster than just dropping down.

No...

Goalie size is not the issue. Halak outperforms ANY goalie in this game regardless of which mode is played.

The fixes that are required are:

LESS input delay. It is slightly better than 16, but only slightly. Even if you were to argue it is alot better, that is just admitting it is still present.

Rebounds need WAY better control. Pads always butterfly and kick out in the same exact angles. No goalie has one specific angle, so don't see why it is the same angle in the game. Even the spread eagle is always the same.

Blocker saves need to be really cleaned up. They are horrendous and honestly every blocker side shot makes me nervous. Goalies have much better control with their blockers than it is in this game.

Precision movement needs a speed boost. Way too slow. Ideally, this should be user adjustable with a slider.

Goalie class description leads to alot of confusion. Standup has nothing to do with the actual style. It is just higher ratings on high shots. IMO, it is meaningless as you get sniped just as easily as butterfly class.

Goalies still lock up on one-timers.

Save animations still override controller input. If I hold down the butterfly button, my goalie should stay down in the butterfly. The butterfly saves can be pretty much broken down into 2 classifications: Blocking and Reactionary. Holding down butterfly should lock my goalie into a blocking stance and not into a reactionary style of saves.

The bubble near the goal line has to go. It is still way too intrusive.

When I go paddle down, regardless of center of crease or hugging a post, I should be ably to move my stick around, much like the defensive skill stick did for players back in the day.

Post hugging needs to be cleaned up. It is too sticky and clunky. We should be able to come off the post by an inch, or be 5 feet if we chose to. Releasing post hug should have the goalie just barely come off the post without moving his skates, or having to push off it.

Post-to-post is still too slow and predictable. Most NHL goalies practically have BOTH skates touching both posts. I am not saying this is how it should be in EASHL, but a better compromise is required.

Slide distance should be determined by how long we hold the slide button (or the RS). We cannot simulate a really hard push as it is. Sure, the L2 does a half decent job of it, but again it is too predictable on power and distance.

Standing post hug is just a disaster as is. It is unusable and extremely sticky. It should be changed. I suggest maybe the goalie have only one skate along the post when player is deep behind the goal line and as he gets into a more dangerous position near the goal line, the goalie can start to gradually have his whole body along the post. There is a similar function as is with the RVH.

When a puck is cleared and coming towards the net, it is never certain how our goalie will react to the puck. Sometimes he plays it with his stick, sometimes not, sometimes he fumbles it and other times just doesn't react. If we hold the puck cover button, can the goalie drop down and smother the puck when it reaches him? These weird reactions are worse when skating to the puck than just standing and waiting for it to come to us.

Puck covering up has to be faster and crisp. Goalies just don't drop down. Then can also throw themselves down, which is obviously faster than just dropping down.

Fix the bug that causes goalies to lean away from the puck.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited October 2016

No...

Not if you make the bigger goalie slower (as he should be) to move around and make saves. Try picking a 6'4" goalie that moves around like a slug and gets sniped for standing in middle of the net or can't get across the crease in time to make one-timer saves. But some people prefer that type of goalie play, so I say let them have it.

I prefer a smaller, more mobile build as that's how I play goalie IRL. I'll gladly take the tradeoff in that good shots will still get past me, even if I'm in good position, as long as I can track the puck better and be able to more easily make one-timer saves.

Making all the goalie builds the same doesn't make people choose other builds. Especially not when they're all practically the same. They move the same, have the same animations, etc. The only difference is that they're supposed to be better in different categories. But it's not like the differences are really noticeable. I play Butterfly almost exclusively in Club and Drop-ins, and I still regularly see shots get through my 5-hole on easy shots. Same with those who pick Standup, I've seen them get sniped fairly often top corner glove or blocker side. Most people that play goalie online, will always pick the same builds for the most part. You'll rarely see someone switch builds every game.

Because there's not enough differentiation between the goalie builds, IMO. Good positioning and how your defense plays in front of you are more important than your preferred build's "stats"...
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    @megadeth_600

I agree with everything you said. Especially the part about the goalie build descriptions. No NHL goalie plays Standup anymore. The goalie styles being used in the NHL (and Competitive hockey in general) today are Butterfly Hybrid, Athletic Butterfly and Blocking.

Butterfly Hybrids are a cross between standup and butterfly goalies, in that they'll stay on their feet for shots that go high, but immediately go down as soon as a low shot comes in. These types of goalies could probably have the same attributes as the current HYBRID build, but their save animations consist of mainly conservative or blocking saves, with a few "desperation" type saves when needed.

Athletic Buttefly goalies should have more accrobatic "desperation" type saves available, with very little blocking and reactionary save animations. And their attributes should be slightly lower than the Hybrid build, but they have better mobility. I'd probably pick this one if given the chance.

Finally, Blocking goalies should be the slowest of the three, and they should have mostly blocking type saves available, with a few reactionary ones when necessary, but absolutely NO desperation type saves.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    @megadeth_600

I agree with everything you said. Especially the part about the goalie build descriptions. No NHL goalie plays Standup anymore. The goalie styles being used in the NHL (and Competitive hockey in general) today are Butterfly Hybrid, Athletic Butterfly and Blocking.

Butterfly Hybrids are a cross between standup and butterfly goalies, in that they'll stay on their feet for shots that go high, but immediately go down as soon as a low shot comes in. These types of goalies could probably have the same attributes as the current HYBRID build, but their save animations consist of mainly conservative or blocking saves, with a few "desperation" type saves when needed.

Athletic Buttefly goalies should have more accrobatic "desperation" type saves available, with very little blocking and reactionary save animations. And their attributes should be slightly lower than the Hybrid build, but they have better mobility. I'd probably pick this one if given the chance.

Finally, Blocking goalies should be the slowest of the three, and they should have mostly blocking type saves available, with a few reactionary ones when necessary, but absolutely NO desperation type saves.

Not really. Pretty much all goalies are hybrid and the blocking style you call is pro-fly.

Hybrid is essentially a mix of blocking butterfly and reaction butterfly. Reaction is obviously when you can see the puck and will hold your gloves up a bit higher, ready to react to the save required. Blocking is more used in close or when screened and usually has both gloves down lower and tucked to the body and close to the hips. Hence, blocking.