EA Forums - Banner

Survey IQ?

Prev1
I know the article is a bid old, but this from the EA Sports investors desk:
http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=360322

"Survey Finds Playing EA SPORTS Madden NFL Increases Football IQ"

You see where I'm going with this?

What would a survey find playing EA Sports NHL series?

Replies

• Probably the opposite, in madden you would learn more about plays and strategies and when to use them, in Nhl they just geared the game for dangling and puck hogging, doubt anyone learns anything about real hockey playing this. Unless you're in a top EASHL club.
  • Lynch-CAN wrote: »
    Probably the opposite, in madden you would learn more about plays and strategies and when to use them, in Nhl they just geared the game for dangling and puck hogging, doubt anyone learns anything about real hockey playing this. Unless you're in a top EASHL club.

Pfft, when you choose different strats, the AI practically keeps playing the way they want anyways. You definitely DO NOT want to use this game to build up your hockey IQ lol.
  • Perhaps we should encourage the college to do a study on hockey IQ.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    Disagree about Madden, in that game people only use about 3 plays on offense and 3 plays on defense over and over and over again.
  • I don't play it anymore, is it still bad with the QB dropping back 30 yards for easy completions?
  • My hockey IQ has improved playing the NHL series and I've played hockey my whole life.
  • If there is anyone out there who has used EA's NHL as a way to gain hockey knowledge I have some bad news. With the exception of skating on ice and having characters that look like hockey players, there is very little you could apply in real life hockey.
  • gained alot since 09. Started off as one of those "I am everywhere skaters". Now I tend to stick to my position too bad everyone else is sticking to it too, or still skating everywhere.

Learned alot of about safe plays, and the importance of it, and quick puck movement.

Learned so much that when I watch a game i know pretty much everything they are going to do and the outcome before it happens.
  • So the people who have learned from this game are the people who never played real hockey it seems. I know as a person who played hockey his entire youth, I've learned nothing from this game.
  • If there is anyone out there who has used EA's NHL as a way to gain hockey knowledge I have some bad news. With the exception of skating on ice and having characters that look like hockey players, there is very little you could apply in real life hockey.

Positioning in the game has a huge impact on success rate when playing against the best players in the game. If you are playing 6v6 defensive and offensive positioning and puck movement have a huge impact on how successful you will be, which is a very realistic representation of real hockey as well.
  • strategg101
    823 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Lynch-CAN wrote: »
    So the people who have learned from this game are the people who never played real hockey it seems. I know as a person who played hockey his entire youth, I've learned nothing from this game.

You must be a very good hockey player, to not learn anything from experience. Not saying the game teaches you, but the experience does. If you want to learn that is.
    So the people who have learned from this game are the people who never played real hockey it seems. I know as a person who played hockey his entire youth, I've learned nothing from this game.

You must be a very good hockey player, to not learn anything from experience. Not saying the game teaches you, but the experience does. If you want to learn that is.

I wouldn't say very good, but above average for sure. I played AAA and on the Highschool hockey team.

What would you think someone who has played a lot of hockey could learn from this game?

Positioning in the game has a huge impact on success rate when playing against the best players in the game. If you are playing 6v6 defensive and offensive positioning and puck movement have a huge impact on how successful you will be, which is a very realistic representation of real hockey as well.

Pfft. Not really. Game boils down to defending one of the 3 go-to spots for shooters. From those 3 spots, all you need to know is when to:

a) pokecheck

b) sticklift

c) body check.

As for offence, cherry pick (do this harder when there is AI defense on your team) then go left-right-left shoot on the breakaway.

Boom, there you have it. EA hockey 101.

Pfft. Not really. Game boils down to defending one of the 3 go-to spots for shooters. From those 3 spots, all you need to know is when to:

a) pokecheck

b) sticklift

c) body check.

As for offence, cherry pick (do this harder when there is AI defense on your team) then go left-right-left shoot on the breakaway.

Spam puck protect to dangle through d men.

a) pokecheck

b) sticklift

c) body check.

with human goalies?

I wouldn't say very good, but above average for sure. I played AAA and on the Highschool hockey team.

What would you think someone who has played a lot of hockey could learn from this game?

Ask supahstar he played all his life.

a) pokecheck

b) sticklift

c) body check.

If you're playing with and against computers sure. But real life hockey isn't played against computers, so I'm not sure why you're expecting a similar experience to actual hockey when playing with/against AI.

Play the game 6v6, and you will quickly learn some new things about how to deal with certain situations on the ice.

You learn things that you can't really get a good idea of unless you watched film of your own games. Things like defensive zone coverage, and offensive movements/techniques and breakouts are all essential when playing at a higher level in this game. If you didn't review film, you likely were unable to ever see how your positioning on the ice impacts the game around you.

But even with that said, the original topic regarded improving people's hockey IQ. Just like with Madden, it's not usually the high level players that learn a lot from the game. Professional football players aren't learning from Madden. It's the casual fans that really learn from the game. The NHL series works similarly. If you're just playing club with friends or drop ins randomly, then yeah, you probably won't learn anything. But if you're playing at a high level of 6v6, a lot of those more complex hockey strategies do start to pop up.

You learn things that you can't really get a good idea of unless you watched film of your own games. Things like defensive zone coverage, and offensive movements/techniques and breakouts are all essential when playing at a higher level in this game. If you didn't review film, you likely were unable to ever see how your positioning on the ice impacts the game around you.

But even with that said, the original topic regarded improving people's hockey IQ. Just like with Madden, it's not usually the high level players that learn a lot from the game. Professional football players aren't learning from Madden. It's the casual fans that really learn from the game. The NHL series works similarly. If you're just playing club with friends or drop ins randomly, then yeah, you probably won't learn anything. But if you're playing at a high level of 6v6, a lot of those more complex hockey strategies do start to pop up.

Yes, thats basically what I said in my first post about top EASHL clubs, you might learn something on there. I played a lot of hockey and watched a lot of hockey though, watching NHL games should give me more insight than watching my team play on the video game I would think.

All I'm trying to say is that football has a whole different aspect to it, you plan out and pick plays after every stoppage of play and so does the other team, that's why strategies is so important in football.

Playing hockey is chaos, constantly adapting to other teams positioning, a set play is only an option to take if it's there and open, it's not something you can count on.

With hockey it's kind of like the military saying, "The best laid plans go out the window once the first bullet is fired".

So I'm not sure how much you can learn from this game if you already have played hockey on a competitive level for years before.

a) pokecheck

b) sticklift

c) body check.

If you're playing with and against computers sure. But real life hockey isn't played against computers, so I'm not sure why you're expecting a similar experience to actual hockey when playing with/against AI.

Play the game 6v6, and you will quickly learn some new things about how to deal with certain situations on the ice.

Yea cause every 6 vs 6 game ENDS 6 vs 6.....

THAT is what I am referring to. Tap dat stick and wait for the laser pass.