EA Forums - Banner

New Account

Replies

• Hah, of course it's Ben guys.
    Or not?!

Im not even sure what's real anymore! :smiley:
  • I think it's the real Ben simply because he is dodging the topic of wonky skating yet again :D
  • NHLDev wrote: »

Talk about an understatement. Just let however is charge of goalie to play 10 drop in games or just 10 games as goalie and come back and tell us weak goals only happen time to time. It happens multiple times EVERY game.

You also mention goalies responsibilty to cover the puck.....ya true, but have you tried doing that with the hungry hungry hippo animations in the game? Just go through those goalie feedback threads and ppl even posted multiple evidence showing how bad the puck cover mechanics.

All in all your saying that total goal scoring is at what you want...so pretty much high scoring goalfest each game where forwards are average 3 goals per game. Just look at the goalie leader board for clubs and drop ins and compare the top 20 SV % with this year and the past 3-4 years and you will notice a trend...its been going down steadily....there is a reason for that, but its all good its where you guys want this game to head in.

To be honest, in this case, I was referring to ai goalies. For some reason I saw your thread as User goalies and Lynch's thread as AI because he mentioned goalie skill. For User goalies, we don't control the skill, we control the mechanics so that is why I took it that way.

We want to continue and improve the mechanics for User goalies so that they can have success. We don't however want to do that in an artificial way and just decrease their save error or else that just leads to more goal line goalies and takes User skill out of it.

What user skill?? As a goalie all I can do is track the puck and try and stay square...but the game somehow decides my player won't make the save..but will move his body out the way..or will just react far to slow to an unscreened wrister. He may be in position when someone takes a shot from the point..but will go into a save animation and drop to the butterfly even though the shot is going high..frustrating is an understatement..
    If you are worried about goaline campers..write some code that makes them shyte if they don't move or try to track the puck.

• Can we get an answer on garbage momentum ruining player vs. player competitions for another year? Or the 30 threads on the first 3 pages every day talking about it aren't enough? Or the hundreds of posts on your Facebook page about it? Or the hundreds of tweets about it? Or the comments on every NHL 17 YouTube video about it?

Make skill matter again. We miss the old days of this series.
  • Funny how the mods are no where to be found, but god forbid you make a comment knocking them, they are all over it like pulling low 80's in rare packs!!
  • Who is "we"?
    I know many gamers that don't miss the Littmans era at all, including myself.
    Look at the OS.

If anything the series is still way too flawed with the legacy issues and bad design decisions from that era.
  • good to see you back Ben,
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • If you are the real Ben, where did you take me for my 30th birthday?
  • Youratv
    260 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    NHLDev wrote: »
    Lynch-CAN wrote: »
    Timing on the forums going down was extremely suspicious in my opinion.

Here's my two cents if you are actually Ben.

Now that the stick lift is fixed I'm pretty happy with the game for the most part.

A few things off the top of my head that I think should be fixed in the next update are:

1. Goalie skill - There are way way wayyy too many garbage goals, goaltending is terrible this year, they need a buff.

2. Deflections - They are much too effective and take zero skill to use. Today in a drop in, in the last 20 seconds of the game the other team shot from the point and a forward was skating towards our net, about 6 or 7 feet away with his back to the shooter and he tips it perfectly 5 hole... there was no way he could of seen that puck coming.

Then it went to overtime and the same thing again, shot from the point that was going about a foot wide to the left of the net, a forward came skating full speed from the left circle to the hashmarks and tips it with the shaft of his stick off the right post and in.

You should have to be facing the shooter with vision control held, being basically stationary to be able to tip well. Tips never even miss the net in this game.

3. Hitting bubble - Hitting felt great in the BETA but now it feels like people can toe drag and turn to make checks bounce off again. Even a slight turn away can make hits not register.

That's all that really comes to mind right now but those are things that would definitely help make the game more enjoyable in my opinion.

I would hope this would still be your two cents if I wasn't the actual Ben.

Thanks for the feedback. We are always looking at goalies but the tuning around them currently considers all of their capabilities and goal scoring balance is actually in a decent spot when you look at telemetry and goal scoring over multiple games. It really depends on the defense in front of them and although there are some weak goals from time to time, the teams with the better chances are having much more success. I also like the fact that we are in a place now that if the puck goes in the net, it is a goal and that we have made the goalie more accountable for owning the paint and covering pucks that he feels are dangerous rather than letting teammates carry the puck through him and into the goal as if it didn't happen like in past games. With that though comes a few growing pains and we need to continue to improve control around the goal mouth. The positives far outweigh the negatives though in terms of more black and white conditions.

For the tuner, we are looking at the success by player rating on deflections and how much speed is taken off the puck the more it changes direction, etc. as there are definitely cases that aren't as intended. That said, we did look at deflections this year from before the launch of the Beta and wanted to reward team play where players were able to get in front. We didn't tune deflections at all after the Beta because we had made a chance to allow the goalies to react quicker to redirected pucks as long as they could see it and had the time (again by player ratings) and wanted to see that impact first instead of tuning them down in two places at the same time.

The hitting bubble is interesting as there weren't any changes from the Beta other than to improve the calculation for how the puck comes lose when you are hit away from the puck. The balance/physics side is the same. As you play better players over time though and as people get more in tune with the game, you will come across more and more players that know how to maximize their success protecting the puck and keeping the relative speed and solid contact of collisions against them down.

The bubbles been in the game from before the beta, it's existed in past games. Slowing down with a slower build is a handicap as the acceleration of another build is greater while as a Lynch mentions the penalty for twisting and turning and changing directions isn't great enough for the puck carrier which is also related to what you mention about incidental contact. @Korydub, is this dude a real dev? Please don't tell me to line up or go for hits before it even crosses your mind and yes it applies to better players who have figured this out which are the ones i usually play with and against. As for goalie the increase in what you find as a necessary skill isn't remotely balanced as to how every other on the ice performs. It has the highest skill gap in the game and requires more effort than any other player, in no way is it realistic for a goalie to shift over and hit an invisible wall which there are two as the crease is broken into 3 sections. Left, right, and middle. Goalies are fast and more fluid. They don't set for one shot and aren't able to react fastly to another shot. I feel bad for you goalies, so much hate and no one understands how hard it really is..
  • Who is "we"?
    I know many gamers that don't miss the Littmans era at all, including myself.
    Look at the OS.

If anything the series is still way too flawed with the legacy issues and bad design decisions from that era.

The size of the online community pre-TPS ('12 and earlier) and post-TPS (13 and later) says it all. Pre TPS=Thriving/Post TPS=Ghost Town.
  • Mkay thanks. Bang real dev confirmed.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    That is why we also make you accountable on the shooting side ensuring you have less accuracy if you shoot before settling (after skating/deking/making a move, etc.) or if you shoot at a less than ideal angle where you don't get good leverage.

But Ben, shooting after a toe drag on a breakaway is a 100% goal right now, even though the logic you just articulated should make those shots go wide -- or at the goalie, rather than top shelf -- a significant percentage of the time. If in fact the game is tuned to make shooters less accurate when they shoot immediately after deking, why does every toe-drag-to-shot in high-level games end up top corner?
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    That is why we also make you accountable on the shooting side ensuring you have less accuracy if you shoot before settling (after skating/deking/making a move, etc.) or if you shoot at a less than ideal angle where you don't get good leverage.

But Ben, shooting after a toe drag on a breakaway is a 100% goal right now, even though the logic you just articulated should make those shots go wide -- or at the goalie, rather than top shelf -- a significant percentage of the time. If in fact the game is tuned to make shooters less accurate when they shoot immediately after deking, why does every toe-drag-to-shot in high-level games end up top corner?

Is this the toe drag deke where the puck is pulled inside? Or is this the toe drag where the skater is gliding and maneuvering the right stick where the puck is up on the toe of the stick?

Lol if anyone has a video of this it's Bmh.
  • BruinsHockey08
    1136 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Nevermind now I am not sure. However I will post one of my biggest issues here then.

In franchise there is an issue where when you start a new season every players fighting tendencies is set to never, meaning that after year one of franchise fighting is essentially gone unless you are like me and spend the time to do each team just for the sake of having a realistic league. Can this please be looked into?

Kevin
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    Its Ben. The account hasnt been given the proper label yet.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    Its Ben. The account hasnt been given the proper label yet.

Ok thanks, I edited my post to reflect a the change and post one of my bigger issues.
  • KoryDub wrote: »

Is this the toe drag deke where the puck is pulled inside? Or is this the toe drag where the skater is gliding and maneuvering the right stick where the puck is up on the toe of the stick?

This shot:

This one is even more absurd, since shooter is being bumped from behind and drags his stick through defender's stick, and still puts it exactly where he's aiming. But anyway, if you know what you're doing, this is pretty much gold -- look at how the goalie doesn't even track the puck and move to his left.
  • Hockles
    1 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    KoryDub wrote: »
    In any case, back to the deke & goal: This is concerning. You're right in that if you could pull this off with regularity, the goals would rack up.

This deke + goal was posted in an Official Tips & Tricks video a couple weeks ago.
    https://www.easports.com/nhl/tips-and-tricks/how-to-score-breakaways

So, of course people are going to learn how to pull this off and do it regularly and rack up the goals.
  • jmwalsh8888
    1163 posts Member
    edited October 2016

IMO none of what Ben said is reality. I don't notice any problem being very accurate while skating full speed, spinning, back skating, deking, shooting one timers, etc... all from impossible angles where the goalie is in very good position. but yet i can just be sitting still, all alone in the slot and have shots miss wildly same with passes. but seriously i see little to no impact on shooting/passing accuracy while doing any of the things they say affect those things.

the reason that toe drag deke shot is basically 100% accurate is because that move basically freezing the goalie and allows you to quickly change to a drastically different shooting angle. so many animations just turn this game into a circus and need to go away. that toe drag deke is probably the biggest example. it was much better when it basically took a little skill to manually do something similar and it didn't create some kind of invincibility bubble around you and didn't cause wonky stuff with the defenders/goalies.
  • Youratv
    260 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    It happens a lot, you poke check and connect with the puck and an offensive player iniates an auto deke and it registers that the player maintained full control of the puck and the entire defensive action is negated.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!