EA Forums - Banner

New Account

Replies

• Ben, I know your area is gameplay, but I'd just like to bring two points to your attention about franchise mode.

Would it be possible to unlock full player editing like Madden 17 for user and non-user teams? A lot of us have been playing franchise, BaGM, and season before those for decades now.

It would be great if we could curate our own experience to our liking, but also to help with some of the gaps in AI logic when it comes to things number assignment, or even the "no captain; three assistants only" bug this year in BaP in Franchise. The ability to go in an manually assign numbers and captaincies for any player on any team in your franchise save would be a big plus.

Also, is there a reason height and weight editing were once again greyed out after being unlocked last year?
  • I am all about gameplay improvements, but I'd really like to hear the devs' views on the current online situation, in EASHL and HUT etc.. Do you feel it works as it should, because people are reporting issues? Check out the HUT section for a few threads.

I'd also love to hear a detailed technical explanation of how the online connections work for each mode, since much of the current discussion is based on pure guesswork. But I am guessing this is one aspect you're not allowed to discuss, since it stands to reason you'd already done so?
  • Socair
    2447 posts Game Changer
    @NHLDev:
    Can you comment on the current state of your EASHL servers? Are they working as intended because our team (as well as many others who have posted on here) are being matched up on the wrong servers leading to laggy, unresponsive games that can give the other team a pretty sizeable advantage. Two things:
    1) Could you look into allowing us to choose between east, west, and europe? Letting the game dictate the "best server" isn't working for us.
    2) Is it possible that the home team captain lag situation from last year is back? Every now and then games that are 16ms are unusually laggy. And this time around it's impossible to know who will be affected because since the day 1 patch came out, the captain is always the same between the dressing room and the ready up screen (contrary to last year where it would choose someone based on some type of algorithm possibly related to their connection)

Thanks in advance. These issues are plain and simply ruining the game for me and it would be a great relief to know that they are being looked at.

Yes! A response regarding the servers would be appreciated.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Ben,

My 2 biggest grips with this game.

1. The goalie rebound control on soft shots for rebound goals. Why is it that goalies have no trouble grabbing slappers with no rebounds but throw the softest, ugliest shot at them and watch them give up the biggest rebounds possible that go right to the winger on the other team for a tap in even when you have your players right there.

2. The agility of the puck carrier. Why is it that a puck carrier can weave in and out and hold their stick left and right and deke through the whole team. The puck carrier should have the LEAST amount of agility. This game should promote passing and team work, it doesn't in this state and just promotes selfishness and 1 man dangle teams.

The NHL dev team claims that they're PASSIONATE hockey fans but they have this stuff in the game. EA claims to want the game to be as realistic as possible, these 2 issues are the most UNREALISTIC things in the game.
  • Hotjoint wrote: »
    Ben,

1. The goalie rebound control on soft shots for rebound goals. Why is it that goalies have no trouble grabbing slappers with no rebounds but throw the softest, ugliest shot at them and watch them give up the biggest rebounds possible that go right to the winger on the other team for a tap in even when you have your players right there.

2. The agility of the puck carrier. Why is it that a puck carrier can weave in and out and hold their stick left and right and deke through the whole team. The puck carrier should have the LEAST amount of agility. This game should promote passing and team work, it doesn't in this state and just promotes selfishness and 1 man dangle teams.

The NHL dev team claims that they're PASSIONATE hockey fans but they have this stuff in the game. EA claims to want the game to be as realistic as possible, these 2 issues are the most UNREALISTIC things in the game.

I wouldn't say least, we all still want to have the puck and have fun with it and not play hot potato because were at a disadvantage. I would say equal just not eons above everyone else.
  • it would be good for all of us to know what they are working to fix next and if it can be fixed or how long it might take to fix
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    Hotjoint wrote: »
    Ben,

I see this a lot too. From what I can see, the animation we usually get for low-slow shots isn't being triggered. I don't have an example of the in-game animation, but it's when the goalie goes down to one knee, blocker and stick on the ice and the glove hand covers the puck as it arrives. I've seen this animation in previous years, but it seems absent this year and those who've noticed it's absence are exploiting it for sure.

The better solution IMO is to have goalies directing pucks to the corners, whether it's with their stick, blocker, or even their leg pads when appropriate. This keeps the play moving, still gives the offense an opportunity if they can plant a guy open on the far post to catch the rebound, and more scrambles for the puck after a lively rebound goes to the corner.
    If this is the case, I feel that puck control should be maintained for only a short window of time. Possibly 1-2 seconds worth of animation frames, and then puck control should take a nose-dive.

This would mean using the right stick in conjunction with glide would still result in highly accurate wrist shots/passes, but would also mean you'd need to get the shot/pass off right away or else you're at risk for losing the puck almost instantaneously.

This would force users to re-enter skating animations rather than just holding the puck to the side and gliding around.

Yes, please.

• NHLDev wrote: »
    Yes, all of the AI strategies in EASHL are set to the most conservative. We were looking at updating them to something more standard in the latest roster update but didn't get there in time.

For the way most people play, it is probably better to set the strategies to something more aggressive for breakouts so that the AI aren't playing with the puck behind the net without passing options.

We are also looking at that tuner in regards to passing near/at their net as well.

Thanks for the reply.

http://xboxclips.com/MookStunna/f914a9ee-c7bd-40c3-a30c-58ac62cd3e8a

Trying to figure out what the RD was doing here, slamming into my G, for another self goal. There's no reason he should have been sprinting into my G, right?

Then this. This shot, for either team, will go in 9 out of 10 times. There's no reason the big fat goalie can't recognize a puck from the Blue line, right? I don't see a reason for this.

http://xboxclips.com/MookStunna/fa3e23b1-84de-4d47-8b78-a6dbd6bab284

• NHLDev
    1669 posts EA NHL Developer
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    KoryDub wrote: »
    If this is the case, I feel that puck control should be maintained for only a short window of time. Possibly 1-2 seconds worth of animation frames, and then puck control should take a nose-dive.

This would mean using the right stick in conjunction with glide would still result in highly accurate wrist shots/passes, but would also mean you'd need to get the shot/pass off right away or else you're at risk for losing the puck almost instantaneously.

This would force users to re-enter skating animations rather than just holding the puck to the side and gliding around.

Yes, please.

The puck control is lower as you are deking, so right at the moment you first move the puck to one side, it is a bit lower and if you keep deking back and forth it is lower and lower (with the effect depending on attributes).

If you have the puck over on your forehand in a glide, you have decent balance and good puck control. That is why settling into a glide allows for shot accuracy but if you quickly deke over, it can have an impact on your shot. Rolling way back isn't as balanced of a position and it has an impact on your shot as well and a backhand in nature isn't as good as a forehand shot.

A player gliding has more balance than a skating player so you need a bit more relative speed in the collision to knock them off balance/over but pushing a player away from the puck will make it harder for them to control. If you just hit them incidentally or only get them to stumble slightly, they can keep control of the puck.

The bigger issue is the lateral acceleration or speed that is kept when turning tight when in a glide. That is something we are looking at. The tuning we have looked at so far though has hurt lateral accel where you can't turn as sharp -- that isn't what we want. You should be able to turn based on your players abilities but just lose the correct amount of speed based on how much you are carving off.
  • I had a question about fighting that I just remembered, are they going to fix how you can't hold L2 to block anymore? You either dodge or just mash up on the RS the whole time. I don't even bother fighting anymore
  • NHLDev
    1669 posts EA NHL Developer

jtricoli wrote: »
    Ben,

Thanks for the clarification about the telemetry discussion. I just want to be rewarded for good play in net and not feel like at any moment the game is going to limit me from doing that.

For example, the lack of precision speed means that the main strategy for a breakaway is too skate as fast as possible towards the goalie and make a quick move to either side to exploit the lack of speed we have to track the skater. The puck tracking built into the game has the goalie always stay square to the shot, which is fine in most situations where we can keep up with the speed of the play away from the net, but in close we will over rotate to square to the puck.

Unfortunately, because we can't keep up with the skater speed, once they get parallel with our player we end up over roasting to face the puck and exposing half the net resulting in an easy goal in the side of the net. The game controlled those factors more than I did, I can't control how I rotate to face the puck and combined with the lack in speed it makes us play an overly unrealistic style of play.

Anyway..... goalies need help, but even this simple example shows how small tweaks in one area have ramifications across the entire game. I don't envy your position.

Jtric

Yes, we are looking at the speed for a next tuner. Have you tried using the butterfly to post hug once the shooter commits and using the slide into the butterfly post lean to take away the side they commit to?

If you drop to butterfly early, you can get burned for sure but that is often the case in any game of hockey.

I realize matched with seeing something on screen and reacting compared to doing it reactive on real ice is different but I am curious how the slides into post lean work for you or not. I know some goalies are using those and the rs slides fairly well.
  • Hey!

NHLDev, so how about em sluggish gameplay sessions people are getting when playing online ?

I´ve met people that according to your "network performance" under settings almost is considered being on LAN with 15MS, 0 package loss and 0 latency issues, but yet.. the game slows down and becomes unresponsive when it should be played close to perfect (offline).

Yet this behavior happens all the time, and there is no comments or any indications that EA is even looking into this, only actual gameplay issues, which in my opinion is kind of pointless if there is network issues thats not solved, cause at the moment 8 out of 10 games results it a really, really... really bad user experience cause you haven't solved the fundaments of an online game.

I can take if the game lags, i´ve had those games, where even if it says GOOD when matched up against someone and then goes to 300ms and the game actually stutters, but when i have 15MS ping towards someone, i consider sluggish gameplay to be UNACCEPTABLE.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    NHLDev wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Yes, please.

The puck control is lower as you are deking, so right at the moment you first move the puck to one side, it is a bit lower and if you keep deking back and forth it is lower and lower (with the effect depending on attributes).

If you have the puck over on your forehand in a glide, you have decent balance and good puck control. That is why settling into a glide allows for shot accuracy but if you quickly deke over, it can have an impact on your shot. Rolling way back isn't as balanced of a position and it has an impact on your shot as well and a backhand in nature isn't as good as a forehand shot.

A player gliding has more balance than a skating player so you need a bit more relative speed in the collision to knock them off balance/over but pushing a player away from the puck will make it harder for them to control. If you just hit them incidentally or only get them to stumble slightly, they can keep control of the puck.

The bigger issue is the lateral acceleration or speed that is kept when turning tight when in a glide. That is something we are looking at. The tuning we have looked at so far though has hurt lateral accel where you can't turn as sharp -- that isn't what we want. You should be able to turn based on your players abilities but just lose the correct amount of speed based on how much you are carving off.

I understand the principle, but in practice it doesn't always turn out that way:

http://xboxclips.com/VeNOM2O99/721cd96e-fad5-448a-9652-9b1823180a6c

As you can see, deke into shot, goal. No gliding. This type of deke is probably the most prevalent method of scoring online right now. It works at an alarmingly high rate of success. Now that was with Couture in HUT. I've also pulled it off with a Defensive Defenseman in Club games on EASHL. And one of them I managed to lodge it top corner off the deke, on a backhand shot. Dekes into shots are too accurate.
    jtricoli wrote: »
    Ben,

Thanks for the clarification about the telemetry discussion. I just want to be rewarded for good play in net and not feel like at any moment the game is going to limit me from doing that.

For example, the lack of precision speed means that the main strategy for a breakaway is too skate as fast as possible towards the goalie and make a quick move to either side to exploit the lack of speed we have to track the skater. The puck tracking built into the game has the goalie always stay square to the shot, which is fine in most situations where we can keep up with the speed of the play away from the net, but in close we will over rotate to square to the puck.

Unfortunately, because we can't keep up with the skater speed, once they get parallel with our player we end up over roasting to face the puck and exposing half the net resulting in an easy goal in the side of the net. The game controlled those factors more than I did, I can't control how I rotate to face the puck and combined with the lack in speed it makes us play an overly unrealistic style of play.

Anyway..... goalies need help, but even this simple example shows how small tweaks in one area have ramifications across the entire game. I don't envy your position.

Jtric

Yes, we are looking at the speed for a next tuner. Have you tried using the butterfly to post hug once the shooter commits and using the slide into the butterfly post lean to take away the side they commit to?

If you drop to butterfly early, you can get burned for sure but that is often the case in any game of hockey.

I realize matched with seeing something on screen and reacting compared to doing it reactive on real ice is different but I am curious how the slides into post lean work for you or not. I know some goalies are using those and the rs slides fairly well.

I've been encountering a problem with slides off a post lean, in that when I'm about to get to the other post, my goalie will stop dead in his tracks and leave a foot wide gap between his foot and the post:

http://xboxclips.com/VeNOM2O99/9ae01de0-d260-4121-a868-efd81ba3cac3

Also, can we do something about the suicidal AI?

http://xboxclips.com/VeNOM2O99/9aaf697a-0118-4fbd-a529-41e4dcbeec98

Think that was a fluke? Nope...

http://xboxclips.com/VeNOM2O99/effc49a5-07d5-4b36-b768-14bb692070eb

Also... Wow... Just wow! I couldn't stop laughing when this happened. Though I'm really crying on the inside. :tongue:

http://xboxclips.com/VeNOM2O99/aa432104-183a-46a3-bdb6-a2111c774ee2

Can we goalies PLEASE cover the puck?

• Please don't break offense because you are unable to make a working defense. Don't listen to the people here that would turn eashl into Bob's beer league.

Professional hockey players can do all the things that some people here cry they shouldn't be able to do. the problem is in this game while trying to defend you're basically like a guy with two left feet, a broken right arm, no hand eye coordination and blind as a bat.

Fix defense. Start with giving them tools to defend against cuts, getting rid of animation bubbles, etc.., making stick checks/lifts work as they should and stop allowing pucks to just go straight through defenders so often (should be like 5% but currently probably closer to 50%)

The problem isn't that people can weave through a crowd the problem is that defense can't stop them or at least take the puck away... Stop breaking what works because you can't fix what doesn't. Work on what doesn't until you get it right.

The better solution IMO is to have goalies directing pucks to the corners, whether it's with their stick, blocker, or even their leg pads when appropriate. This keeps the play moving, still gives the offense an opportunity if they can plant a guy open on the far post to catch the rebound, and more scrambles for the puck after a lively rebound goes to the corner.

Yup, that's absolutely a viable solution, I feel.

Combine the two for human goalies to have control over, and there's a whole new dynamic to Goalie Controls.

Agreed.
  • Directing rebounds to the corners happens quite a bit already. Most rebound goals i have let in are because of bad angle shots that the goalie has a hard time or cant control. As there is literally only one direction the puck can go from that angle. Shooters know this and plan this.

But if your talking about the puck that just kind of lingers in the crease I would have to agree the ability to kick it out would be nice. I have slid right through the puck on occasion trying to kick it to the side.
  • Subject change: I'd be interested in knowing why certain bugs in the game have been fixed but not included in the "content update" notes. It's as if the NHL team is afraid to admit that there were bugs in the game.
    Goalie stats in HUT are still not displaying properly. Seems like such an easy fix too.
  • having played over 200 games in EASHL as goalie i can say its a joke.... played goalie in Beta and early access and loved it felt the best it has in years with the exception of the getting stuck in butterfly when touched bug... then day 0 patch hit and goalie went downhill fast seem more sluggish and do that stupid lean out of the way trying to glove it but let it in save way too often(that animation needs to die, and whoever decided it was a good idea to be put into game should be publicly flogged).

seems to me that EA has taken the lets make the game exciting with lots of scoring to keep the masses happy approach and goalies can deal... perfect example is last minute of any game seems 50% of all shots go in no matter what the goalie does... and im tired of getting B+ or better in positioning and C- or worse in saves because the save animation just decides to lean out of the way or spin around and knock the puck in. not to mention the getting stuck in the save animation on one timers even when using the Rstick to slide across.

im not impressed with the answers given by ben here in regards to player goalies. and yes alot of what makes playing goalie frustrating has alot to do with them not giving D players the right tools to do their job because everything seems to be slanted towards scoring and forwards having fun. the insane deks the puck protect along the boards and dont get me started on the 90deg turn while deking and picking up speed move....

• Bmh245 wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    That is why we also make you accountable on the shooting side ensuring you have less accuracy if you shoot before settling (after skating/deking/making a move, etc.) or if you shoot at a less than ideal angle where you don't get good leverage.

But Ben, shooting after a toe drag on a breakaway is a 100% goal right now, even though the logic you just articulated should make those shots go wide -- or at the goalie, rather than top shelf -- a significant percentage of the time. If in fact the game is tuned to make shooters less accurate when they shoot immediately after deking, why does every toe-drag-to-shot in high-level games end up top corner?

Is this the toe drag deke where the puck is pulled inside? Or is this the toe drag where the skater is gliding and maneuvering the right stick where the puck is up on the toe of the stick?

This shot:

This one is even more absurd, since shooter is being bumped from behind and drags his stick through defender's stick, and still puts it exactly where he's aiming. But anyway, if you know what you're doing, this is pretty much gold -- look at how the goalie doesn't even track the puck and move to his left.
    and you don't even mention the part about the puck flying off the stick with no backswing.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!