EA Forums - Banner

New Account

12345679Next

Replies

• @NHLDev hey ben, i have a few ideas which i believe will help the game in the future and stop most of the moaning on the forums. these are ideas for online gameplay.

right stick auto dekes need to be patched out ASAP imo. just revert it back to the old way please. hold LB and curl for a toe drag etc... does it affect me all the time? no. does it kick in at the worst times? yes. no one likes a game to take over for them.

i've never been a fan of the TPS skating engine, i feel i'm fighting it more than it helps. a few people argue skating should be a skill, but to me it just feels like i'm jon scott on the ice so we'll agree to disagree. it's not a secret many people fled the game after it was introduced. i have some videos of me in practice mode i can post of controller inputs being ignored by the game when trying to make twitch base turns (if you're interested). also, my player still refuses to square up to the puck consistently by pressing/holding LT, especially if the puck is behind the net in the defensive zone.

poke checks are infuriating, if i poke someone head-on the puck should go the direction i poked it, or the puck should flip into the air. too many instances where people lose the puck and it rockets right to their teammates stick or i complete the pass for them with a poke. i assume this was instituted to stop the game from being a breakaway fest.

incidental contact is another aspect that i believe plays a big role in the sloppy play people complain about. for instance, when a player is checked and laying on the ice with the puck near, you will literally go flying over that skater no matter what, even if you try to control your speed. you can hook legs with other players which slows you to a crawl. a little incidental contact is good IMO, but as of right now i believe it needs to be toned down a lot.

there are other issues which i'm sure i forgot or simply omitted because other members mentioned it already. i appreciate you taking the time to read this and hope i can help shed some light on a lot of the frustration people feel playing this game.

ping is consistently between 15-17 with 0% packet loss for whatever that's worth.

• Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    NHLDev wrote: »
    Yes, I commented on it last year as I ran into once in the live environment when player locked as well. It is a very hard case to repro. We made some changes around breakouts and didn't see it in our testing and I personally haven't run into it this year so we thought it went away with the breakout changes... Obviously that isn't the case.

I will talk to our QA team again to see about getting a repro case. I too feel that it has something to do with the breakout logic and the AI vs human control but that hasn't been proven yet.

Here's an example of the CPU moving me on defense in a 1v1 game, not on the breakout, while I'm controlling the player. I'm just backskating, holding down LT, and all of a sudden the game just moves me up and to the right, giving the offensive player a clean path to goal:

You can see that this wasn't me: the player's feet don't move. He's just transported across the ice by some magnetic force.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    Yes, I commented on it last year as I ran into once in the live environment when player locked as well. It is a very hard case to repro. We made some changes around breakouts and didn't see it in our testing and I personally haven't run into it this year so we thought it went away with the breakout changes... Obviously that isn't the case.

I will talk to our QA team again to see about getting a repro case. I too feel that it has something to do with the breakout logic and the AI vs human control but that hasn't been proven yet.

Here's an example of the CPU moving me on defense in a 1v1 game, not on the breakout, while I'm controlling the player. I'm just backskating, holding down LT, and all of a sudden the game just moves me up and to the right, giving the offensive player a clean path to goal:

You can see that this wasn't me: the player's feet don't move. He's just transported across the ice by some magnetic force.

Your controllers left stick looks like it pointing up and right to me.
  • WRX02227 wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »

Your controllers left stick looks like it pointing up and right to me.

Dude, the controller icons show what the guy with the puck is doing, not the defensive player.

• NHLDev wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    About the unwanted / involuntary movements, I play d-man a lot and I encounter this more often there. Sometimes it's a struggle just to stay put in front of your own goal, because the **** keeps trying to dash behind the goal all the time... or something else equally brilliant. It's like someone else was controllign my player.

Incidentally, about net battles - would it have been impossible to map it and the extended stick lift on different buttons, like Square and Circle? It's very inconveniet to have the instigate fight function on the same button, as it often leads to unnecessary penalties. Sometimes in EASHL, it either doesn't work, or the button pressi is somehow uneven, and you get in trouble for it.

You are getting accidental fight requests when going for net battles?

It feel intuitive to have a quick stick lift as a tap of stick lift where an extended one is to hold it.

For instigate fight, we made it less quick by moving it to a multiple tap system. If you are trying to hold Triangle or Y, it shouldn't ever end up causing a fight instigate. It will also continue to try and solve a net battle as you have it held down, so you don't need to keep pressing it multiple times.

I haven' heard of accidental fights thus far, but if that was the problem, we could make it even more specific to ask for and accept fights. We just knew that even though it was on a single press before that people would tap it fast multiple times anyways so it seemed intuitive to move it to that.

How about we get rid of the ability to start a fight? Everyone hates it, serves no real purpose, and can be done in so many situations that interferes with flow of game often without penalty.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    About the unwanted / involuntary movements, I play d-man a lot and I encounter this more often there. Sometimes it's a struggle just to stay put in front of your own goal, because the **** keeps trying to dash behind the goal all the time... or something else equally brilliant. It's like someone else was controllign my player.

Incidentally, about net battles - would it have been impossible to map it and the extended stick lift on different buttons, like Square and Circle? It's very inconveniet to have the instigate fight function on the same button, as it often leads to unnecessary penalties. Sometimes in EASHL, it either doesn't work, or the button pressi is somehow uneven, and you get in trouble for it.

You are getting accidental fight requests when going for net battles?

It feel intuitive to have a quick stick lift as a tap of stick lift where an extended one is to hold it.

For instigate fight, we made it less quick by moving it to a multiple tap system. If you are trying to hold Triangle or Y, it shouldn't ever end up causing a fight instigate. It will also continue to try and solve a net battle as you have it held down, so you don't need to keep pressing it multiple times.

I haven' heard of accidental fights thus far, but if that was the problem, we could make it even more specific to ask for and accept fights. We just knew that even though it was on a single press before that people would tap it fast multiple times anyways so it seemed intuitive to move it to that.

Why don't you make instigating fights by MASHING the button? Or at least 4 button fast presses. Kinda like simulating an aggressive act.

Nobody will ever make a mistake or instigate by accident like that.
  • Player bubbles are a disaster - if you play HUT at all offline its near impossible to body check as the aggressor will hit a mysterious bubble and slide off the puck carrier allowing the puck carrier to continue on without being affected. If I run a guy full speed one or both guys better be on their back. This has been a problem since NHL 13 when will this get fixed - it completely ruins anything immersive about this neutered game mode. I have Eric freaking lindros sliding off a 60 overral winger at the end of their shift because he can't body check. The next game against an NHL team I can hit all of the sudden but its still weak. Now I'm in Div 1 and same thing, hitting is complete unrealistic neutered garbage.
  • I like that aspect actually. My entire job as a dman is to interupt your flow. You'll learn real quick not to shoot at my goalie after the play and respect my zone. Ya also ain't gonna run around and rough up my team and not have anyone to answer to.
  • I don't fully agree with the above, I played plenty of offline HUT, and I throw huge bombs all the time. The problem is they don't seem to have an effect other than the CPU guy going down. Often they get up quickly enough to assume the puck again before I can do anything about it. You need to make it so that it takes more time to get up when you fall, especially after a hit. The CPU players especially are like monkeys on a spring.

But I do notice that sometimes, but not all the time, it's really hard to hit the CPU player, and it's these times that the CPU usually scores too. It's like the game has decided it's going to score. These times it's very hard to hit the guy, and they seem very agile, anticipating your every move, and deking like there was no tomorrow.
  • I said that before. It seems like when you hit a guy in your zone the goalie freezes for an instant and it allows the shot to go in.
  • Is there any chance we could please have some information on the offline legends for nhl 19? A bunch of us including myself are running around with no answer and honestly we just want to know if we will have the chance to play with them in offline modes like franchise and season mode. I'm a rangers fan and I'd like to be able to put Messier, leetch, graves and a whole bunch of guys on the rangers roster. They aren't available on roster moves/management/ player moves for offline play. Only for HUT which I don't play at all, and play now. All we want is answers and we don't have them. It would be a great gift to us as fans for either Black Friday or Christmas but we have not had a single answer on any of the other topics. If you could answer me directly on my profile that would be great too.
  • Socair
    2487 posts Game Changer
    Old thread closed. Please don’t revive threads this old.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!