EA Forums - Banner

Randomness needs to go

Ryujinsum
62 posts Member
edited October 2016
Ever since EA started to try to make the game more realistic its just destroyed the game and community. I understand some people don't want arcade games but EA doesn't know how to implement realistic features and physics unless they sacrifice fun in my opinion. With the addition of a "realistic" game along came the randomness. EA preached a competitive game last year and this year but its not currently possible. You can't have a competitive game with random instances that the users can't control. How am I supposed to tell my guy not to elbow someone? Breaking peoples stick on a stick lift, like really? How about when you break your stick when you go for a shot? All these things on top of other random situtations need to go if you want to create a competitive game and ESPORT.

Realism != Randomness

This game should be 100% skill based!

Replies

• Randomness is in all kinds of competitive games, sure it can be frustrating when it happens, but would you really say that broken sticks on shots is a huge issue that happens so frequently that it causes you to lose? I'd wager it doesn't.
  • Randomness is in all kinds of competitive games, sure it can be frustrating when it happens, but would you really say that broken sticks on shots is a huge issue that happens so frequently that it causes you to lose? I'd wager it doesn't.

When I break my stick 3 times in a game, I would have to say its a big problem. Of course this doesn't happen every game but it's annoying when it does. I could go a number of games without my stick breaking or I could get one every other game. It adds no skill to the game whatsoever. At least when they implemented injuries when missing a hit on the boards you were in control of it...
  • This game isn't realistic or arcade, it's like a hybrid of both. Physics and randomness don't go together. Physics are not random. I equate random moments in the game to things like deflections, the ones where your player brings his stick all the way up. You don't know when it's going to happen it just does. You just stand there and hope that random moment happens or doesn't depending on what player you are. Also the same when someone saucers or clears a puck and another player brings the puck out of the air, it just randomly happens. I'm sure there's a bit more to it to that but you have no idea if it will or when it will happen.
  • I've been saying this for years. The attempt to make this game as real as possible is a mistake. The game uses to be so much more fun when you felt entirely in control of your players.

It's too easy to turn away from checks and rag the puck by doing the circle cheese in the offensive zone.

Honestly I wish the game play was a mix of the old school games with the new realistic graphics.
  • Because EAs version of randomness serves to no purpose other than closing the skill gap. You can have a game that is realistic and random in the right way but it's doesn't help weaker players not get frustrated.
  • strategg101
    823 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Ryujinsum wrote: »
    Ever since EA started to try to make the game more realistic its just destroyed the game and community. I understand some people don't want arcade games but EA doesn't know how to implement realistic features and physics unless they sacrifice fun in my opinion. With the addition of a "realistic" game along came the randomness. EA preached a competitive game last year and this year but its not currently possible. You can't have a competitive game with random instances that the users can't control. How am I supposed to tell my guy not to elbow someone? Breaking peoples stick on a stick lift, like really? How about when you break your stick when you go for a shot? All these things on top of other random situtations need to go if you want to create a competitive game and ESPORT.

Realism != Randomness

Randomness whether it be in bouncing pucks, strange rebounds, broken sticks, are a neccessity for realism. IMO it doesnt happen enough.
    Broken stick on a stick check should result in a slashing penalty. But there should be a way for the player to know when this will happen;circumstances that cause this action.

Right now I believe there is only a stick lift option. Not one that forces the stick down, its this one that generally leads to sticks being broken. So if there was a way to control the stick, either have it in the air or on the ice; that would determine which motion was used.

• strategg101
    823 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Randomness keeps this game fresh. But there should also be nothing random. There needs to be a reason for it.

I remember when Half-life was out with gravity and you could interact with debris, I must have spent 15 minutes just shooting a can around to see how it reacted from all angles. It was impressive, realistic probably not, but it was close.
    Played a game the other day with a bouncing puck on a clearing attempt and it reminded me of that. The puck was spinning and when it hit the ice it bounced in different directions depending on how it hit the ice.
    WELL DONE EA.
  • Ryujinsum wrote: »

Realism != Randomness

Randomness whether it be in bouncing pucks, strange rebounds, broken sticks, are a neccessity for realism. IMO it doesnt happen enough.
    Broken stick on a stick check should result in a slashing penalty. But there should be a way for the player to know when this will happen;circumstances that cause this action.

You see to me those random elements of the game are fine but the problem is not that they happen so much as it's when they happen. Like this years thing is your own player and or goalie kicking the puck his net. I can't even count how many times it's happened against me but only when I'm in the lead. It should happen for me as well but I can't even remember if I've scored that way in 17. It should be equal but it's not even remotely close because 8/10 games I'm in the lead so I'm less likely to benefit from an "ea auto goal"