EA Forums - Banner

Defensive strategies

What strategies do you use to get the best of your team defense-wise online ? I used to go for realism, but I think High Pressure on D and closing the neutral zone is the only thing working against a lot of glitchy-wiggly players.

Replies

• I've been happy lately using high pressure and staggered. A 1-4 in the neutral zone with an aggressive forecheck. Also tried putting some forwards on D and so far with power forwards it's working fantastic.
  • pr
    goat1313 wrote: »
    I've been happy lately using high pressure and staggered. A 1-4 in the neutral zone with an aggressive forecheck. Also tried putting some forwards on D and so far with power forwards it's working fantastic.

Got the same conclusion with High Pressure, 1-4 and some forecheck. Thanks for taking the time !

• PadrinoIV wrote: »
    What strategies do you use to get the best of your team defense-wise online ? I used to go for realism, but I think High Pressure on D and closing the neutral zone is the only thing working against a lot of glitchy-wiggly players.

I'm starting to wonder if there is any stopping the glitchy-wiggly players.

Let's face it, the cross-crease has been replaced with shake-jive-wiggle-deke-dangle-glide right down the middle, squeeze through D-men big and small like butter, and use that backhand deke move the goaltender falls for every single time.
  • nWoDust wrote: »

I'm starting to wonder if there is any stopping the glitchy-wiggly players.

Let's face it, the cross-crease has been replaced with shake-jive-wiggle-deke-dangle-glide right down the middle, squeeze through D-men big and small like butter, and use that backhand deke move the goaltender falls for every single time.

Yup. They gotta tight that **** and improve the goalies for christ's sake. But I got some shutouts against those players. It required some perfect-Neo-in-the-Matrix defense performances though. And some randomness acts to my advantage. But i feel your pain. I really do.
  • It's funny how everyone including the devs calls the skating "realistic" but at the same time everyone calls the shake-jive-wiggle players "glitchers".

How can it be both? Lol

#EndTPS
  • Maybe this engine is just reaching the end if its natural life.
    CrushNHL wrote: »
    It's funny how everyone including the devs calls the skating "realistic" but at the same time everyone calls the shake-jive-wiggle players "glitchers".

How can it be both? Lol

#EndTPS

• CrushNHL wrote: »
    It's funny how everyone including the devs calls the skating "realistic" but at the same time everyone calls the shake-jive-wiggle players "glitchers".

How can it be both? Lol

#EndTPS

Because other then this shake jive wiggle thing the skating engine is pretty solid,
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • CrushNHL wrote: »

How can it be both? Lol

#EndTPS

It's not the skating that is the real problem, although I'm not sure it's realistic. Still lots of room to go on that front, for starters, when you crossover on skates you tend to build up speed, not in this game.

But it's the fact that when in glide, the puck control modifier goes through the roof to pretty much invincible. And the pass modifier is also greatly enhanced. Having one-touch dekes that work 99% of the time like the toe-drag only increases the problem.

Which is bogus. NHL players and even beer league scrubs, can control the puck and pass in stride. Gliding doesn't make a bad puckhandler and bad passer all of a sudden a good one. Its a little tiny bit easier I'll admit, but that's it.

The glide modifier should only impact one thing. Shooting. Shooting in stride and shooting with your feet balanced and planted, is vastly different and shooting in stride is infinitely more difficult.

If they made this one simple change it would go a long way to improving the in-game mechanics.
  • nWoDust wrote: »
    CrushNHL wrote: »

How can it be both? Lol

#EndTPS

It's not the skating that is the real problem, although I'm not sure it's realistic. Still lots of room to go on that front, for starters, when you crossover on skates you tend to build up speed, not in this game.

But it's the fact that when in glide, the puck control modifier goes through the roof to pretty much invincible. And the pass modifier is also greatly enhanced. Having one-touch dekes that work 99% of the time like the toe-drag only increases the problem.

Which is bogus. NHL players and even beer league scrubs, can control the puck and pass in stride. Gliding doesn't make a bad puckhandler and bad passer all of a sudden a good one. Its a little tiny bit easier I'll admit, but that's it.

The glide modifier should only impact one thing. Shooting. Shooting in stride and shooting with your feet balanced and planted, is vastly different and shooting in stride is infinitely more difficult.

If they made this one simple change it would go a long way to improving the in-game mechanics.

I agree.