EA Forums - Banner

Are sets just for compulsive pack buyers?

Prev1
So10s RedWing
32 posts Member
edited October 2016
I might be getting old and slow, but is there really any profitable way to do sets (without buying copious amounts of packs with cash)?

I've played HUT every year but one, and I've always been able to do most collections without buying packs. Not only that, but it's been a profitable activity (which is probably why EA has sought to snuff it out), and something that added depth and a surprising amount of fun to the game.

As I said, there might be something I'm missing, but I just don't see how collections could ever be profitable this year. A single carbon collectible costing 70.000+ in the AH, or an equal amount in coaches/jerseys/logos/arenas, and most teams requiring several carbon collectibles and several Gold collectibles, in addition to the players and team items that can't be resold upon completion.

Am I wrong? Are people able to do make sets profitable? Or should I just ignore it this year?

I understand that EA wants people to spend cash in stead of in-game currency on packs, and that making the in game echonomy profitable is counterproductive in that regard. Still, I find it surprisingly cynical that they would essentially kill most of the in game marketplace, which so many people enjoyed, in favor of "forcing" people to spend more actual money. It definently takes quite a bit of the fun away for me.

Replies

• To complete a set and try and turn a profit is a losing battle. I'M sure you could do it, but it's basically impossible. The only reason I'm doing them is for the hero collectable. I think they will be used for at least an 88 player pack.

I'm also sure someone will come on here and say they have turned a profit on all hero's and haven't spend a dime on packs since nhlpa hockey
  • Speaking of packs, I remember the one year they inluded a pack with the game. 96 maybe.
  • I preordered 15 on ps3 and they gave me a code where you got one pack a month for 12 months, if only i played hut.....
  • Sets are a money grab from 1) those who really want to buy packs with money or 2) people who cannot or do not want to do basic math to find out they're getting ripped off most of the time.
  • MFin04 wrote: »
    Sets are a money grab from 1) those who really want to buy packs with money or 2) people who cannot or do not want to do basic math to find out they're getting ripped off most of the time.

probably the latter to be honest lol
  • Sets --- they give me a feeling TO be compulsive.

I most of the time, can hold off on buying a pack. Plus, with my team is the way it is now (only upgrading to 88s and up from here on out), I don't need to spend the game earned coins on picking up 87s to improve spots. Thus, storing more coins, allowing for either a pack to be purchased say every ten games, or buying a high dollar card every 20.

I traded to Gold Set Collectables for a J. Quick to another player the other day. That's the best thing the Sets have done for me.
  • I'm fairly good at math. Please explain to me how I'm getting ripped off.
  • I'm fairly good at math. Please explain to me how I'm getting ripped off.

dude what are you saying? the guy basically said what you said...

if you try to complete set, usually the set will cost just AS MUCH or MORE THAN buying the actual player
  • But I feel the hero collectable is going to be worth something. We have no idea. So how am I getting ripped off? I know what I'm getting into. IT'S taking a gamble. If I buy 10 $2 lottery tickets and only get $10 back am I getting ripped off?
  • Well yes you are. The lottery is an idiot tax on people who are bad at math.
  • At least with lottery you have the chance of winning actual real money. And you know exactly the odds you get, and the whole game is controlled by authorities (in most countries I assume), so you can be pretty sure it's fair and square.

With HUT, once you buy the coins with real money, the money is gone forever, and EA got you by the nut+s. You don't even have to buy the packs, it's enough just to purchase coins (or whatever they're called). It's brilliant money making machine. And you get to do it all over next year.

I've bought packs with money too, so I am not better than anyone else. Just saying.
  • I guess it comes down to this. I spend money on packs and get enjoyment out of it. You're right in that I will never get anything of substance out of it. But I look at it like a movie ticket or tv. You pay money to watch a movie or watch tv. It's enjoyable to you. It's cold her up north and the golf season is coming to an end. And I hate tv.
    To each his own. But getting back on topic kind of, what in your opinion would make the sets worth it? Would a hero collectable and a gold for an 88+ be worth it? A pack? I think if it's a 88+ I'll be happy. A gold pack and I'll be pissed!
  • The folks at EA would make awesome drug dealers. They would run the game
  • I guess it comes down to this. I spend money on packs and get enjoyment out of it. You're right in that I will never get anything of substance out of it. But I look at it like a movie ticket or tv. You pay money to watch a movie or watch tv. It's enjoyable to you. It's cold her up north and the golf season is coming to an end. And I hate tv.
    To each his own. But getting back on topic kind of, what in your opinion would make the sets worth it? Would a hero collectable and a gold for an 88+ be worth it? A pack? I think if it's a 88+ I'll be happy. A gold pack and I'll be ****!

Hero collectible and base 90+ card and carbon collectible for mov 90+ card.

• But I feel the hero collectable is going to be worth something. We have no idea. So how am I getting ripped off? I know what I'm getting into. IT'S taking a gamble. If I buy 10 $2 lottery tickets and only get $10 back am I getting ripped off?

But will it be worth the 600k to 1.2 million lost?
  • 20k 30teams 600k
  • Lol, this topic got off topic fast. No, sets fer heros and some legends etc are not profitable. Not at current market prices anyways. But they could be depending on what the master etc collectibles are worth.
  • MFin04
    94 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    goat1313 wrote: »
    Lol, this topic got off topic fast. No, sets fer heros and some legends etc are not profitable. Not at current market prices anyways. But they could be depending on what the master etc collectibles are worth.

I thought master collectibles weren't trade-able? And even if they are...it's just another way for them to get you to spend more pucks on Carbons and Golds to add to those collectibles to make more cards.

It's amazing to me that people can't see that its just a continuous cash grab to get people to keep buying more cards to make more collectibles to complete more collections to make more cards....

It's a never ending cycle in which you lose more and more coinage or real money in the process.
  • MFin04 wrote: »
    goat1313 wrote: »
    Lol, this topic got off topic fast. No, sets fer heros and some legends etc are not profitable. Not at current market prices anyways. But they could be depending on what the master etc collectibles are worth.

I thought master collectibles weren't trade-able? And even if they are...it's just another way for them to get you to spend more pucks on Carbons and Golds to add to those collectibles to make more cards.

It's amazing to me that people can't see that its just a continuous cash grab to get people to keep buying more cards to make more collectibles to complete more collections to make more cards....

It's a never ending cycle in which you lose more and more coinage or real money in the process.

They're not tradeable at the moment. And I always spend a bit of money on hut, makes it more enjoyable to me to play with some better players. Having said that I've never spent more than 100$ or so, usually spread oot at the beginning and around Movember whatever that turns out to be this year.
  • WealthyFriends
    893 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    The sets are poopy, they are made for the already coin-rich player or for people who spend real money on packs. I would bet that Movember cards will end up being only achievable by completing sets too.

The NHL team is stuck in a bubble that surrounds their Twitter fans and their streamer "partners" and are disconnected from the average HUT player.

Madden Ultimate Team kicks the ^&$#^$* out of HUT.