EA Forums - Banner

Rebounds, Rebounds, Rebounds

Prev1345678
I can't help but get frustrated after games like this. We dominate play with triple their time on attack, and still come up with the loss because these goalies are leaving huge rebounds on weak shots. The fact that this is a strategy that has the potential to win is a joke, and EA really needs to make an adjustment here.

Replies

  • Socair
    2815 posts Game Changer
    Agreed. It's so prevalent, some teams try it all the time, others it's a fall back when high slot opposite side shots aren't working.
  • I don't know. I mean, for weak wrist shots, I would assume that 90% of the time there shouldn't be a rebound. Or if it is on the blocker side, maybe the goalie can cover up the puck on his blocker with his glove, or easily deflect it to the side of the net.

    As for slapshots and hard wristers from up close, maybe have an 80% to 90% chance of a rebound. Maybe have some of those rebounds be a little random and less controlled as they do come in fast and/or hard. For glove saves in this situation, maybe have the puck pop out 40% of the time, or deflected over the net with the wrist.

    It should be somewhat of a viable strategy to try, but the success rate should not be anywhere near what it currently is. As I have stated in another thread, rebounds and the angles they pop out are extremely predictable. Goalie pads don't have enough angles to them when making saves/rebounds.
  • So many scumbag teams out there who do this all game.
  • Sall0020 wrote: »
    So many scumbag teams out there who do this all game.

    Because it is too predictable and consistent. IRL goalies see where the other players are and will do everything they can to not pop out a deflection near where those players are. If they were 12 years old I could understand, but this isn't the case.
  • Sall0020 wrote: »
    So many scumbag teams out there who do this all game.

    Because it is too predictable and consistent. IRL goalies see where the other players are and will do everything they can to not pop out a deflection near where those players are. If they were 12 years old I could understand, but this isn't the case.

    Yup, I could be wrong but I don't remember this being a huge issue on last gen.
  • megadeth_600
    1437 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Sall0020 wrote: »
    Sall0020 wrote: »
    So many scumbag teams out there who do this all game.

    Because it is too predictable and consistent. IRL goalies see where the other players are and will do everything they can to not pop out a deflection near where those players are. If they were 12 years old I could understand, but this isn't the case.

    Yup, I could be wrong but I don't remember this being a huge issue on last gen.

    Actually it was still predictable, but a little harder to pull off. Coming down the wing and shooting on the far side pad for your buddy to pick up the rebound was very feasible.

    If you still have an old gen copy of 14, 15 or legacy, check out the goalie's pads in butterfly. You will notice the angle has not changed to current gen. Maybe for the preset builds the rebound control is toned down from last gen. Who knows.
  • Something needs to be done though, whether it's kicking rebounds to the corner more often, making those pucks harder to pick up right away, making goalies react better to the rebounds they're giving up, or making players inaccurate on those shots. Those plays are working roughly as often as skilled plays to get one-timers and open shots in the slot, yet they take far less skill to execute.
  • Why not tie up the guy who is coming in for the rebound ?
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    Why not tie up the guy who is coming in for the rebound ?

    Cause people haven't tried that before right? It's not 100% every time as well. Why not turn the game off? No rebounds then, wow!
  • strategg101
    823 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Why not tie up the guy who is coming in for the rebound ?

    Or take the shooting lane away from the guy taking the initial shot.
    Ohh wait thats playing defense.
    If your tired of it, do something about it. Thats the reason I choose defense over forward, because half of the people who play it can't play it well. They think its EAs fault that a well placed shot to the far pad from a specific angle will generate that exact rebound a majority of the time. If the goalie was more square his stick would deflect it into his chest, but leave another angle open or vulnerable to a pass.



  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    Why not tie up the guy who is coming in for the rebound ?

    Or take the shooting lane away from the guy taking the initial shot.
    Ohh wait thats playing defense.
    If your tired of it, do something about it. Thats the reason I choose defense over forward, because half of the people who play it can't play it well. They think its EAs fault that a well placed shot to the far pad from a specific angle will generate that exact rebound a majority of the time. If the goalie was more square his stick would deflect it into his chest, but leave another angle open or vulnerable to a pass.
    I love the advice like this, as if my team didn't completely dominate them. They had 13 shots in 4 minutes TOA, which is what, 5 seconds of real time in the zone per shot? They'd come in up the boards and barely have enough time to get their weak wrister off, but of course it's my fault for letting them get any shots on net through the whole game.

    These are as bad as cross-crease passes were back in the day when the defenders would whiff on the interceptions half the time. It's a zero effort/skill play that results in a goal a good percentage of the time. It may be a well placed shot, but it's a ridiculously easy shot to direct to the corner. Maybe goalies should be using their stick instead of their pads:


    The argument that these are good shots to be taking and that they should be giving up big rebounds like that is ridiculous. Maybe once in awhile sure, but these are shots that I can handle better in real life most of the time.
  • Seriously, this is stuff they teach kids barely taller than the net!



  • Take what is given. Not sure what I was watching there or what team you were.
    Thats usually the defenses job to limit the scoring chances to the best of their ability. Besides you are using a CPU goalie. Im not knocking you im just stating the obvious that continuously gets overlooked in threads like these.
    All looked ok to me, enjoy the view.
  • Seriously, this is stuff they teach kids barely taller than the net!



    Just because thats what they teach doesnt mean they can control them 100% of the time. Its just teaching them to think about where the save is going. Sometimes there is just no way to control given the position you find yourself in.

    Seen big juicy rebounds like those all the time in the NHL guess they dont know anything about rebound control. :disappointed:

    The most relevant one in your video I think would've missed the net had the goalie not saved it.

    You win some, you lose some.
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    Why not tie up the guy who is coming in for the rebound ?

    Or take the shooting lane away from the guy taking the initial shot.
    Ohh wait thats playing defense.
    If your tired of it, do something about it. Thats the reason I choose defense over forward, because half of the people who play it can't play it well. They think its EAs fault that a well placed shot to the far pad from a specific angle will generate that exact rebound a majority of the time. If the goalie was more square his stick would deflect it into his chest, but leave another angle open or vulnerable to a pass.



    Umm this is a really weak shot (literally is falling back down before it reaches me) from a bad angle. Im completely centred and it shoots off my pad at an impossible angle. Also just today I saw a weak on ice shot go off a goalies stick and pop up right over their head and in. Being centred on low shots does not prevent these rebounds.

    http://imgur.com/2BelL3y
  • Seriously, this is stuff they teach kids barely taller than the net!




    I guess Zaktoff missed this lesson,







    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • Seriously, this is stuff they teach kids barely taller than the net!



    Just because thats what they teach doesnt mean they can control them 100% of the time. Its just teaching them to think about where the save is going. Sometimes there is just no way to control given the position you find yourself in.

    Seen big juicy rebounds like those all the time in the NHL guess they dont know anything about rebound control. :disappointed:

    The most relevant one in your video I think would've missed the net had the goalie not saved it.

    You win some, you lose some.

    Sure, sometimes there's no way to handle a hard shot or one taken particularly close, but I don't think I've ever seen a goalie attempt to clear a puck into the corner like that in this game despite it being a fundamental skill. Weak unscreened wrist shots along the ice from above the circles should be pretty much 100% be cleared into the corner or frozen. It's really that easy to do, you just pivot your stick into the path where the puck is going, and if you're square to the shot, the puck should either end up in the corner, in your chest, or right in front of you to cover. This isn't rocket science.

    You sound like you're the kind of person who just goes for this all game and doesn't know any other way to score.
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Seriously, this is stuff they teach kids barely taller than the net!


    I guess Zaktoff missed this lesson,


    COGs, we get it, you want the game to play like a sim, so you post videos of bad plays that happen in real life and use them as references to back up why bad plays should stay in the game. This is a game though, and people play this to have fun, not to see if the game is going to randomly gift a goal to the other team because their goalie attempted to make a save on a shot that was going well wide and kick it into the slot.

    There's no skill involved there, it's just throwing the puck at the net because you don't have any other options. These plays are the epitome of the garbage goals that EA is encouraging with the game right now.
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    I guess Zaktoff missed this lesson,


    In response to this goal, the Wild's beat writer tweeted: "Zatkoff served up a Granlund rebound ... Dean Lombardi needs a goalie BAD!" That's because it was a weak goal to give up. I have no problem with goals like this being scored occasionally in this year's game. But they happen too often, and they happen too often with high-rated goalies. 90+ goalies regularly serve up rebounds like this, and it's frankly absurd. It's not realistic.

    We all know what happened. There were almost no rebound goals in NHL 15. They made them slightly easier to score in NHL 16, and then, presumably because of complaints about lack of scoring, they've made them really easy to score this year. It was an overreaction, and they should just tune the goalies to fix it.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    I guess Zaktoff missed this lesson,


    In response to this goal, the Wild's beat writer tweeted: "Zatkoff served up a Granlund rebound ... Dean Lombardi needs a goalie BAD!" That's because it was a weak goal to give up. I have no problem with goals like this being scored occasionally in this year's game. But they happen too often, and they happen too often with high-rated goalies. 90+ goalies regularly serve up rebounds like this, and it's frankly absurd. It's not realistic.

    We all know what happened. There were almost no rebound goals in NHL 15. They made them slightly easier to score in NHL 16, and then, presumably because of complaints about lack of scoring, they've made them really easy to score this year. It was an overreaction, and they should just tune the goalies to fix it.

    You know what else happens to often ? Is that EASHL defensemen suck, and dont under tie ups allowing for this sorta thing to happen.

    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    I guess Zaktoff missed this lesson,


    In response to this goal, the Wild's beat writer tweeted: "Zatkoff served up a Granlund rebound ... Dean Lombardi needs a goalie BAD!" That's because it was a weak goal to give up. I have no problem with goals like this being scored occasionally in this year's game. But they happen too often, and they happen too often with high-rated goalies. 90+ goalies regularly serve up rebounds like this, and it's frankly absurd. It's not realistic.

    We all know what happened. There were almost no rebound goals in NHL 15. They made them slightly easier to score in NHL 16, and then, presumably because of complaints about lack of scoring, they've made them really easy to score this year. It was an overreaction, and they should just tune the goalies to fix it.

    You know what else happens to often ? Is that EASHL defensemen suck, and dont under tie ups allowing for this sorta thing to happen.

    The goalies are clearly bad here though, or do you not agree with that? Let's not worry about the defense here until after we decide whether a goalie kicking out a rebound into the slot 90% of the time on a wrist shot from the boards along the ice is something that belongs in the game.

    Your argument seems to be that sometimes goalies give up rebounds, but we have teams right now that take half their shots from the side boards because they know the goalies are giving up huge rebounds most of the time. If a real goalie kicked rebounds out that consistently, they would probably never even make it out of their rec league.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.