EA Forums - Banner

Some help would be appreciated.

Prev1
So I made it too DIV 4. I have a 4 star team with 4 or 5 active synergies. Since making it to DIV 4 I won the 1st game and tied a game. Other 5 games I have gotten demolished. I'm curious if anyone would like to share their line strategies they use. It almost seems like soon as I cross the blue line I am getting swarmed with Def players while when I am on Def I let the cross the blue line and cycle the puck at will.

Also if anyone with a mic want to play me and gimme some tips like yea you should have done this at that point vs doing what you did shoot me a PM. Hey

Replies

• There are no universal strategies for everyone. The strategy should be selected mainly according your own skills. Your players and the synergies are further factors to determine the strategie.

If you have the feeling that most of the oppenents are better than you go with the more defense minded strategies and let the others come. When you`re the superior player you need to find the strategy which most fitts to your skill, players and synergies.
  • Here is what I've done when my team played like yours. I made first 3 lines of nice players 88-94 (only 2 94's hero) fourth line just bronze scrubs w synergy to match and same on D 1st 2 lines 88-89 and of course bronze for the third.
    Also back up goaltender is bronze.
    Try to get team synergies mostly, because they are most effective.
    And all of a sudden magic happens.
    Your players will fly, score at random from impossible angles and ur 83-86 goalie will stand on his head. Also ur poke checks are more effective and ur teams fast and responsive.
    I hope it helps bud.
    I bleed hockey!!!!!!!!!!
  • So10s RedWing
    32 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Some pointers:

- You should take note on how you usually get scored on. Do you give up a lot of rush goals? Do you give up a lot of goals on shots from the point? Do you let in a lot of goals by the opponent walking in on your goalie? Do you let in a lot of goals on one timers from, or with passes through the slot?

By mapping out your biggest weaknesses defensively you have a better foundation for choosing your defensive strategy.

Choosing High Pressure + Tight point will make your AI very aggressive in attacking the opponents players, but it will also spread your players out and make your slot very exposed when playing against somewhat skilled players.

On the other side of the scale you could chose collapsing and protect the net. This will protect your slot very well, but will allow the opponent free reign on the perimiter and along the blue line.

Finding a mix of set ups and preassure settings that both alows you to protect your slot and to preassure the opponent is key.

My guess is that the opponents that crowd you along the board is playing with something like High Preassure and Staggered.

They may also have upped adjusted the efficiency/energy slider a few clicks towards the energy side. This makes the AI hustle more, but also makes them tired faster.

Personally I almost never give up goals in close when the opponent is established in my zone. That probably comes at the cost of a few more goals against from the blueline, but I would rather try to handle that than give up chances in the slot.

Strategies and AI preassure is only part of it though. Probably the best thing you can do defensively is not be too aggressive, and thereby put yourself out of possition. Possitioning really, really matters. Stay between the opponent and the goal, and or take way passing lanes when he's not in a shooting position. Try to control your gap to the opponent, that way you can both poke and block shooting/passing lanes.
  • ^^^ -- this
  • I think I am going to have the 4th line scrubs. Gonna bring back the NHL 14 play style see if it works... It has worked in the past. Steve Ott on the 4th line could be huge! Is raffi Torres still in the game???? Those to are amazing 4th liners
  • @smokin666 tactic worked for a bit last year. I made it to division 2 and was getting absolutely annihilated by joe blows with lower ranked teams and less skill. This year ive kind of changed it up, im not sure what rank your team will be with 4th line bronze guys but i threw in a bronze goalie, ran 2 solid lines and 2 lines with 86 players. im sitting at 3.5 stars right now and made it threw division 3 6-1-1. but my teams speed compared to my opponents was about the same if not better. when i played with a bunch of heros and higher rated players i was be outskated every single game. only problem now i have is finding a medium balance in line energy adjustment. I turned them up quite a bit and they were dead with 5 min left in each period. so i turned them down a notch, they were almost all green going into the intermission. im not holding down on power skate either, i conserve my skaters energy so im tinkering with that at the moment.

• smokin666 wrote: »
    Here is what I've done when my team played like yours. I made first 3 lines of nice players 88-94 (only 2 94's hero) fourth line just bronze scrubs w synergy to match and same on D 1st 2 lines 88-89 and of course bronze for the third.
    Also back up goaltender is bronze.
    Try to get team synergies mostly, because they are most effective.
    And all of a sudden magic happens.
    Your players will fly, score at random from impossible angles and ur 83-86 goalie will stand on his head. Also ur poke checks are more effective and ur teams fast and responsive.
    I hope it helps bud.

Why does this tactic work? I'm also kind of new to HUT and see this idea talked about as common wisdom, but don't understand why it would work at all.

Many believe that having your team be too "ultimate" actually brings a disadvantage. That there's a break-even point (3.5 stars!?!?) where it makes no sense to improve because it doesn't actually make your team better...in fact it may make it worse.

That's what having scrub players on your 4th line and having a low rated backup goalie will do.

I'm not saying this method works or doesn't work. Buuut, I may have noticed in the past that matchmaking improved significantly with a lower rated team. Could have just been in my head though...
  • So I made it too DIV 4. I have a 4 star team with 4 or 5 active synergies. Since making it to DIV 4 I won the 1st game and tied a game. Other 5 games I have gotten demolished. I'm curious if anyone would like to share their line strategies they use. It almost seems like soon as I cross the blue line I am getting swarmed with Def players while when I am on Def I let the cross the blue line and cycle the puck at will.

Also if anyone with a mic want to play me and gimme some tips like yea you should have done this at that point vs doing what you did shoot me a PM. Hey

If you want, I will help you out. I am sure you could help give me some advice too.
    Add me on PSN: Dyei4Matrix

I am in Division 1 currently and have held it 3 seasons now but can't seem to win title..
  • Im in D5, currently 5-2-1. The 2.....one was a disconnect and the other....lets just say my 2 yr old luuuuvs to hit the shiny white button on the xb1 console.....mid-game of course. Not the first time....but he is cute so he gets a break!!!

So 5-0-1 in the games ive fully played in this division. Im finding the opponents very tough believe it or not.

Some tips i find helpful
    1. Look for your opponents' patterns. Some like to deke or curl n drag, or at least attempt to, on most rushes. Others like to hug the boards, stop, get it to the point. Still others just try to power thru your D. I find it difficult to win if my opponent MIXES it up, kinda keeps me guessing. Guys that repeat the same crap....well, ya jump into the pass lanes when u figure them out. Maybe ya wont get breakaways all the time, but u get some chances and u LIMIT theirs.

2. Play good D. BLOCK shots when u can!

3. When on the rush with the puck, do a little deke when your opponent is trying to line you up for a big hit....when u do this, they often miss bc they overcommitted
  • Blocking shots is big this year, i have it cranked up on all 4 lines. So many opponents are spamming points shots so get your guys in the way. Before i focused on getting in the way i was allowing a goal or 2 a game from the point.
  • As you climb the division ladder you better have a stacked team. No matter how good you are, you'll get killed by the stacked players, they skate faster, they're harder on the puck. Factor in the user probably knows all the glitch cheese garbage that gives them the false sense of security that they are good. I've stopped playing online, I only play offline now, trying to build my team.
  • h8ttrick
    1661 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Nothing matters for me at least I guess I'm just bad this year can't seem to win have goalies making insane saves on prime opportunities and then I score on the weakest goals. So it's random everything is random and up to chance skill has nothing to do with it.
  • Man idk what happened but it seems that since they now offer a free pack for winning a Div title it seems I can't win for nothing. Was in D4 with 2 wins in a row when that happened. Now I am in D6 and getting the crap beaten out of me. It's like all the players higher up decided to drop down in order to get packs now. And when I say getting the crap beat out of me I am taking 9-3 games

Something's I noticed also recently. I had a solid green line in on a faceoff after a offsides. Soon as puck dropped my winger decided he needed a break.

Also my guys don't like to hold the puck when they are uncovered. Numerous times they have just skated off without the puck.

Oh and this prob goes with players dropping down Div to win titles. But I have noticed a lot more of my opponents rely on chopping the puck then they used too.

And lastly I got so **** at my dekes turning into crappy shots I blamed my controller and went and bought a new one lol. Charger port was loose on old one anyways but I used that as a excuse. But it's not as bad anymore.
  • Man idk what happened but it seems that since they now offer a free pack for winning a Div title it seems I can't win for nothing. Was in D4 with 2 wins in a row when that happened. Now I am in D6 and getting the **** beaten out of me. It's like all the players higher up decided to drop down in order to get packs now. And when I say getting the **** beat out of me I am taking 9-3 games

I have been having a time in D7-6 also. Can't feel too good about yourself imo if you're a D2-D1 player, and you drop down just to get 3 extra cards a couple times. Played a Sponsored by Visa team last night that I was throttling, and made a point to, with my above average roster, who quit with 30sec left. Jerk.
  • A lot of teams are dropping down the ranks. Those reward packs look sick
  • The packs are better at the top though. Better chance at carbon's and Mov's.
  • The packs are better at the top though. Better chance at carbon's and Mov's.

Hey Hey Hey! I'm only 19 Golds (2.8 carbons) away from Linden LOL. That 85, 4 game torso card, and random scrub 81 for winning D8 really helped. YEEEEEEHAW
  • Man idk what happened but it seems that since they now offer a free pack for winning a Div title it seems I can't win for nothing. Was in D4 with 2 wins in a row when that happened. Now I am in D6 and getting the **** beaten out of me. It's like all the players higher up decided to drop down in order to get packs now. And when I say getting the **** beat out of me I am taking 9-3 games

Something's I noticed also recently. I had a solid green line in on a faceoff after a offsides. Soon as puck dropped my winger decided he needed a break.

Also my guys don't like to hold the puck when they are uncovered. Numerous times they have just skated off without the puck.

Oh and this prob goes with players dropping down Div to win titles. But I have noticed a lot more of my opponents rely on chopping the puck then they used too.

And lastly I got so **** off at my dekes turning into **** shots I blamed my controller and went and bought a new one lol. Charger port was loose on old one anyways but I used that as a excuse. But it's not as bad anymore.

I'm seeing this also, And I agree about the shot blocking, It's a need to do
    All in all, We are all just bricks in the wall
  • So I took a few days off because I was so irritated. Came back and played a playoff game and won, lost 2nd one but it was close then lost a regular season one but it was close atleast.

But then I was like let's look at the people who straight up demolished me. One of there records is 35-9-1 but yet he was playing me in Div 6.
  • Maybe no one is playing anymore so the matchmaking is screwed up