EA Forums - Banner

Hut AI defense

Hey is there a good setup for D to prevent breakaways? AI gives up at least 10 a game.

Replies

• Dude
    You should NOT be giving up 10 breaks a game...
  • Def watch your timing with line changes though
  • That is a lot. Check out your aggressive rating in your strategies.
  • monz
    958 posts Member
    Breakout or neutral zone forecheck should be lowered if your giving up to many breakaways
  • Someone needs to skillzone it up a bit. Don't take control of a dman and run him behind the net. Gotta play positional. It's an extremely rare occasion where I give up a breakaway. But then I'm a defense first kinda guy.
  • i had that issue in the beginning because i use aggressive strategies... you need to get used to how to control which players when and how positionally..
  • TheJetHangar204
    112 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Always play your closet guy (if your taking him out of position, learn not to!), close the gap defensively, try to keep players in assigned part of the ice as the game will register you as chasing and goalie lets dumb goal's in, don't poke check like a mad man, opponent can judge stick length, keep it tight until opportune time (every poke check slows you down, poking to close will trip him, learn). do not poke and chase if he has a break away, chase until close enough to get a "back check" poke (right against his back almost, any further you might trip him), and most of all once puck is out of your possession hold down the Right Trigger to become the last man back in between the puck and the net. (some players use technique to skillzone, I use it to properly set up defence at least one guy then switch to clostest guy to opponent)

And if your giving up 10, try and get 10 Never give up!!!
  • well said
  • strategg101
    823 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Dude
    You should NOT be giving up 10 breaks a game...

Thats all the AI nothing to do with me.

I was using 1-2-2 passive
    1-3-1
    D collapsing-puck side attack.
    forecheck biased-standard-NZT
    Offensive-normal-full attack.

• As a goalie I'm pretty aware of how many breakaways my team gives up, which is very few lately with this D setup:
    Forecheck - 2-3
    Neutral - 1-4
    Off Pres - Aggressive
    Def Pres - High Pressure
    Def Strt - Collapsing
    All three defensive pairings are set all the way to zero on Hold Line/Pinch. Don't ignore this one and then wonder why you're still giving up breakaways.
    Team Wheel is mandatory if you're out to end breakaways. I knew the only speed perk in the game would end up that way.
    Current D lineup: This grouping is allowing me five team synergies - TW, CG, TT, 1T, B
    Blake - Ohlund
    MacInnis - Heatley
    Foote - Doughty

Funny you mention TW I had that on.
    Took it off and it seems to be happening less, unfortunately so does the scoring chances.

Seems the AI plays worse in Div 2. I win the title almost effortlessly in div 3. get to div 2 and they can barely score unless the opponent puts the controller down.

• Funny you mention TW I had that on.
    Took it off and it seems to be happening less, unfortunately so does the scoring chances.

Seems the AI plays worse in Div 2. I win the title almost effortlessly in div 3. get to div 2 and they can barely score unless the opponent puts the controller down.

Yeah I go back and forth on TW because I don't want to be forced to use it just because everyone else is.
    Once I get into Div 1 is when everyone starts flying past my D and me so fast my head is spinning and I start putting together desperately stupid lineups to deal with it when the one I had was just fine for the last 20 games. Back to Div 2 with my usual lineup and it feels ok again. The breakaways just increase as you go up the ladder I guess.
    But it gets so unrealistic you aren't playing the same game anymore - there aren't this many breakaways in the NHL.[/quote]

No, I know. Way too many, they just skate right by them either on the outside or through the middle. Just shake my head. They cant match speed at the blue line if they are standing still.

They might not of veen classified as a breakaway in EAs view, but anytime a player gets by both defense in mine is a breakaway.
  • monz
    958 posts Member
    Guys it's called proof reading!
  • strategg101
    823 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    monz wrote: »
    Guys it's called proof reading!

Dont care. :lol: Unless it helps the AI play better. It did get all mixed up :lol: