EA Forums - Banner

the trap

Prev13
I cant be the only one getting sick and tired of this **** right? Its pathetic how i can sit in the neutral zone against people and not move at all and watch him just sit at his blueline. complete ruins the game. sucks all the fun out of it and makes me not want to play the game. Problem isnt the game its the community that always has to exploit overpowered **** because they think being on a leader board actually means something.

Replies

• NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited November 2016
    If you dump the puck in, against a team that is trapping, you should have a high percentage of your players with speed getting it back and control in the zone.

I would also suggest playing around with flipping saucer passes off the boards around the players, long flip dumps, ring-arounds, etc. depending on your strategy and where you are entering to give you the best chance of puck retrieval.

If you take control of the first player in, getting to the puck first or pinning the defender that happens to get it is definitely a viable strategy.
  • Obviously you need to improve your counter game and work the puck up faster or learn to dump the puck in and fore-check hard. It's a legit method of the game and it's like people in FIFA who just play with park the bus strategy. There are always ways to counter and you just gotta figure it out.
  • Arbucklescat
    6 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    NHLDev wrote: »
    If you dump the puck in, against a team that is trapping, you should have a high percentage of your players with speed getting it back and control in the zone.

I would also suggest playing around with flipping saucer passes off the boards around the players, long flip dumps, ring-arounds, etc. depending on your strategy and where you are entering to give you the best chance of puck retrieval.

If you take control of the first player in, getting to the puck first or pinning the defender that happens to get it is definitely a viable strategy.

Love to see you try this junk method of yours against a Top 100 HUT player that knows how to trap very well. And post the video of you playing him and trying this strategy out. Just so you can see what the players that actually play this game online have to put up with on a daily basis.

Maybe then you'll see how broken your game is. And how you have the A.I playing way to much of the game for people. But you won't instead you'll just play the boys in the office. Who no offense are NOT as good as Division 1 or 2 online players. I'm sure your strategy works against the office scrubs. Let's see you do it against a good player ;)
  • strategg101
    823 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Love to see you try this junk method of yours against a Top 100 HUT player that knows how to trap very well. And post the video of you playing him and trying this strategy out. Just so you can see what the players that actually play this game online have to put up with on a daily basis.

Maybe then you'll see how broken your game is. And how you have the A.I playing way to much of the game for people. But you won't instead you'll just play the boys in the office. Who no offense are NOT as good as Division 1 or 2 online players. I'm sure your strategy works against the office scrubs. Let's see you do it against a good player ;)

Word. They have absolutely zero clue how much the AI plays for people haha It's not right, at least if this game is supposed to be competitive...

Goto EASHL to compete.
    And by good player you mean someone who does the exact same thing. :lol:

• NHLDev wrote: »

It's your own fault that you play UT. Top 100 in HUT doesn't mean anything else than 100€ that's disappeared from mum's bank account, a thousand games played, a ridiculous exploit repertoire and a salty message after getting beat.
  • Juppo1996 wrote: »

It's your own fault that you play UT. Top 100 in HUT doesn't mean anything else than 100€ that's disappeared from mum's bank account, a thousand games played, a ridiculous exploit repertoire and a salty message after getting beat.

ALL the good players know how to trap abd use the A.I to their advantage. Doesn't matter if it is HUT or Vs.

The point I am making is that the counter that this dev is suggesting simply does NOT work against good players.

• Juppo1996 wrote: »

ALL the good players know how to trap abd use the A.I to their advantage. Doesn't matter if it is HUT or Vs.

The point I am making is that the counter that this dev is suggesting simply does NOT work against good players.

Yo I think you need to buy another pack,
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • There's a reason why these people are top 100. Everyone can do it. Some people are just better at doing it.

"this dev" is the head producer just FYI.
  • If it doesnt work against "good players" and "they all do it" then how do the top 100 determine who is the top 10?

Dump and chase and forecheck, bruh.
  • RangerFanatic101
    315 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    In real hockey dump and chase does work against the trap. You hear hockey experts say this all the time. The problem is the games skating engine doesn't mirror real life skating. Defenders easily turn around and for the most part can either out hustle or stick with the incoming attackers. That's the problem.
  • If it doesnt work against "good players" and "they all do it" then how do the top 100 determine who is the top 10?

Dump and chase and forecheck, bruh.

You seem to be assuming people in the top 100 play each other all the time. They don't. You can be in the top 100 and only play a similarly-ranked team every 10 or 15 games.

• NHLDev wrote: »

im aware of the counter. this post isnt about me saying its not beatable. its about saying how overpowered this technique is. Ontop of that ive played games that i have litterly sat at my blue line, waiting for them to forcheck and they just wont. they chose 1-4 set to trap and take the 1 for checker and sit at the blue line with his team. now the real problem with this is usally the whole teams standing still. So your speed coming up should be enough to get by them right? well as much as it should be its not. defenders turn on a dime and match your entry speed in the blink of an eye. When my skater already has forward momentuem at meduim to top speed i should easily be able to blow by a defender thats standing still at their own blue line. Instead they turn and somehow manage to stay stride for stride with me.

that is my frustration, Not the tactic itself. The fact at how Overpowered it seems to be. any player moving at meduim to top speed should be able to blow by a defender whos standing still at his blue line, you see it time and time again in the nhl and thats also how most breakaways happen.
  • The only fair solution, just like progression in EASHL, is to get rid of the trap. There should be no strategy changes. Get rid of it. It's unfair.
  • Also the problem with the board pin is it dosent always work. i never try to just hit from behind if i see a defender i go for the board pin. the problem with this is i anticapte it and will hit and hold y while going into the boards and id say its about a 50-50 weather or not my guy will actually pin him or just bounce off of him. so whats the point of me using a dump and chase witch is a 50-50 in its own only to being faced with another 50-50 of my button control will even work properly? its takes a 50-50 puck into an unpredictable puck because your not sure if the board pin is gonna work correctly as it should.

And as far as getting rid of strategy changes... no thats a bit part of nhl is to be able to change your ai strategy on the fly to defend/counter what your opposition is doing. the problem is there is no real counter to the trap when the main counter should be fluid speed. and i dont always mean speed with the puck if i hit the red line with speed and dump it in against a stationary defender 9/10 times i should be able to defeat that defender to the puck, the only viable time were i should get beat to the puck is if the puck goes around the net rather than just in the corner. that balance is not in this game.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    Obviously you need to improve your counter game and work the puck up faster or learn to dump the puck in and fore-check hard. It's a legit method of the game and it's like people in FIFA who just play with park the bus strategy. There are always ways to counter and you just gotta figure it out.

the problem is the main counter for it is extremely flawed. see above posts for reasons as to why.
  • In real hockey dump and chase does work against the trap. You hear hockey experts say this all the time. The problem is the games skating engine doesn't mirror real life skating. Defenders easily turn around and for the most part can either out hustle or stick with the incoming attackers. That's the problem.

Yeah they do cater to defense in that matter because lots are terrible at gap control. They let skating backwards be about 25% too fast than what it should be.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    In real hockey dump and chase does work against the trap. You hear hockey experts say this all the time. The problem is the games skating engine doesn't mirror real life skating. Defenders easily turn around and for the most part can either out hustle or stick with the incoming attackers. That's the problem.

Yeah they do cater to defense in that matter because lots are terrible at gap control. They let skating backwards be about 25% too fast than what it should be.

Not a defense/offense catering issue. The skating engine is not accurate. How many times do you deke around a defender only to have the user spin around and catch up to you. Same issue with breakaways, the defenders go into steroid speed.
  • KoryDub wrote: »

So you're complaining that you're unable to successfully get around the trap of a top 100 team.

I'm really not sure how this means the game is 'broken'? Should the game just somehow sense your level of hockey knowledge and allow you to just skate through a top 100 defense?

NO i'm complaining that these players are NOT playing the game they are sitting back and allowing the A.I to play for them. It's pathetic the game shouldn't be playing for the user... The user should be playing the game.

The A.I when playing 1 on 1 (HUT or VS) should just play basic hockey. Meaning it plays i t's position covers players and stands in passing lanes. But if not clicked on it shouldn't be forechecking, Poking, Chasing or Pinning. That should be up to the user to click on that player and DO IT HIMSELF....

BECAUSE THE USERS SHOULD BE FORCED TO PLAY THE GAME. Not sit back in 1-4 and let the A.I do all the work. If I wanted to play the CPU I'd play offline instead of online.